Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Nanny Maria hasn't worn a uniform other than at Charlotte's christening that would suggest that Maria decided for herself to wear her uniform to see her charge get christened by the AoC in front of the Queen and family. If it was a Kate order, why isn't she in the uniform all the time? She didn't wear on the Aus/NZ tour. She didn't wear it to BP for Trooping the Colour.

This is how I see it also. Its comparable to the royals getting all dressed up for a white tie state banquet and wearing their orders. Charlotte's christening was that kind of an occasion for Maria. It was an occasion of a formal rite that involved a person that Maria is very much attached to as her nanny and felt it was appropriate to wear her "order" that reflects her credentials to be such a nanny to the Princess. :)

Perhaps its just me but I envision dinner time at Anmer as very casual with Kate doing the cooking, kids at the table and Lupo somewhere near by in hopes of a kid dropping something or sneaking him a bite or two. Imagining Kate ringing a little silver bell to be "served" just doesn't fit my mental picture at all. Of course KP and Anmer can and probably will host very formal dinner parties, I just don't see it in day to day life.

I would also bet my last sticky bun that Nanny Maria is made to feel part and parcel of the family as she plays a very big part in the day to day lives of the kids. It just makes sense as with that scenario, the kids feel quite comfortable when Mom and Dad are away for something

Lastly, its not hard to figure out who really is the "boss" of the household. Its Lupo. Dogs are always on the wrong side of the door, always hungry and always need attention. :D
I have to say I want to see Lupo debut on The Cambridge Christmas card, like the Danish counter part.

You are misinformed. There is one nanny. Mrs. Webb retired prior to Maria's employment. There was no milk nurse. That was a story fabricated by the notorious Katie Nicholl. Within hours of print the other reporters dismissed her latest claim. Katie Nicholl is famous for her fantasies. I'm still waiting for Pippa and Nico to announce their engagement considering Ms. Nicholl swore on her life that they got engaged in India in December 2013.

I don't consider a landscaping company who visits twice a month to be "staff". If that's the case my mailman, my garbage man, my recycling man, my tree trimmer and my handyman would all be members of my staff.

You claim the number 30 has been reported numerous times by the media. If that's the case you won't have trouble presenting a link for us. Please do.
Would you please tell me what a milk nurse is, I have no idea? I know what a wet nurse is and a maternity nurse is but not a milk nurse. Would you also kindly note my use of the word allegedly, I use assisted technology so posting links is not my forte, I apologize for that now.

The RPOs aren't staff. They have to stay with the people that they are protecting so. In Wales they stated in the outbuildings of the rented farmhouses. The "staff" accommodations on the Amner plans are for the RPOs most likely

The only known domestic staff is Nanny Maria, Antonella the KP housekeeper, the orderly that drives from Fiji and the new housekeeper at Amner that they got from CP Haakon's household.

The rest of the staff are the Private Sects, communications people and PAs that run the KP office.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
. Who said RPO's are staff?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I send my kids to daycare I have staff? Because that's the amount of time the nanny fills. She's only one person, she has rights and guidlines they have to follow regarding workhours etc. So if the nanny works the night, Kate has the kids the whole day. If the nanny has the day, Kate's on night duty. And then the nanny has days off and vacations etc. It's not like Kate has around the clock help with the kids. Also, people complaining about a housekeeper etc. This person does shopping, walking the dog, cleaning and cooking. Since she's only one person (and maybe some more cleaning staff) she surely can't do every meal. Then they would have had a cook. So clearly Kate is doing some cooking as well, especially since we know she likes cooking. And ofc they have people to help with the cleaning! The size of the house is not the equivilent of "cleaning your house", it's more like a small buissness buildning. Do you complain when your office have people cleaning it? If Kate should do all the cleaning herself it would be a fulltime job! Hence, they hire people to have it as a fulltime job! I don't understand why people find these things so hard to fathom.

If you send your children to daycare are you there direct employer? Do you pay employers liability insurance, national insurance etc. Privately hired nannies are usually directly employed by the family they work for, so is sending ones child to daycare comparable with a family employing a nanny? I don't know, I don't have children.

The RPOs aren't staff. They have to stay with the people that they are protecting so. In Wales they stated in the outbuildings of the rented farmhouses. The "staff" accommodations on the Amner plans are for the RPOs most likely

The only known domestic staff is Nanny Maria, Antonella the KP housekeeper, the orderly that drives from Fiji and the new housekeeper at Amner that they got from CP Haakon's household.

The rest of the staff are the Private Sects, communications people and PAs that run the KP office.

I am confused, didn't that housekeeper leave after a very short time? There was alot of speculation about an advertisement in 'The Lady' if I remember correctly.

If you send your children to daycare are you there direct employer? Do you pay employers liability insurance, national insurance etc. Privately hired nannies are usually directly employed by the family they work for, so is sending ones child to daycare comparable with a family employing a nanny? I don't know, I don't have children.
It's comparable in the way that a certain amount of hours of the day someone else than you are primary caretakers of your kid.

The Cambridges have minimal staff if for no other reason Charles must foot the bill for everything. Its good W&K are hands on royals and like to do for themselves but even if they wanted a bigger staff it has to come from what's leftover after Charles is done.

W&K are free to hire someone and pay for it out of pocket but the accepted practice is anything 'official' come from the Duchy of Cornwall and that means there are limits.

Last edited:
PW also has personal funds from legacies from his mother and grandparents does he not?

It's comparable in the way that a certain amount of hours of the day someone else than you are primary caretakers of your kid.
No forgive me, my understanding was your original comment was regarding whether or not sending children to daycare meant you were an employer, was it not? So does sending a child to daycare make you an employer or not? That is why I mentioned how sending a child to day care may not make you an employer in the sense that The Cambridges are, presumably their nannies employer? Hence her post is counted as being an employee of The Cambridges.

No forgive me, my understanding was your original comment was regarding whether or not sending children to daycare meant you were an employer, was it not? So does sending a child to daycare make you an employer or not? That is why I mentioned how sending a child to day care may not make you an employer in the sense that The Cambridges are, presumably their nannies employer? Hence her post is counted as being an employee of The Cambridges.
I meant it in no way like that at all. I just tried to show that having "staff" in their situation doesn't mean they don't have things to do around the house and around the kids.

So if I send my kids to daycare I have staff? Because that's the amount of time the nanny fills. She's only one person, she has rights and guidlines they have to follow regarding workhours etc. So if the nanny works the night, Kate has the kids the whole day. If the nanny has the day, Kate's on night duty. And then the nanny has days off and vacations etc. It's not like Kate has around the clock help with the kids. Also, people complaining about a housekeeper etc. This person does shopping, walking the dog, cleaning and cooking. Since she's only one person (and maybe some more cleaning staff) she surely can't do every meal. Then they would have had a cook. So clearly Kate is doing some cooking as well, especially since we know she likes cooking. And ofc they have people to help with the cleaning! The size of the house is not the equivilent of "cleaning your house", it's more like a small buissness buildning. Do you complain when your office have people cleaning it? If Kate should do all the cleaning herself it would be a fulltime job! Hence, they hire people to have it as a fulltime job! I don't understand why people find these things so hard to fathom.
'I don't understand why people find these things so hard to fathom.' No one to the best of my knowledge knows exactly how many staff The Cambridges directly employ, how they live their lives etc. The point is that the British Tax Payer does want to know, frequently. The Duchies of Cornwall, Lancashire and the Civil List have all been questioned. The British public pay indirectly for R.P.O's and allegedly towards the upkeep, renovation of historical palaces as legally technically bar a few, we own them. No doubt the Moonmaiden or another more knowledgeable member than myself can clarify. So with the utmost respect, no matter how difficult a member of the general public finds it to fathom, they have a right to ask and to know. None of us with any decency want to know their day to day living arrangements.

'I don't understand why people find these things so hard to fathom.' No one to the best of my knowledge knows exactly how many staff The Cambridges directly employ, how they live their lives etc. The point is that the British Tax Payer does want to know, frequently. The Duchies of Cornwall, Lancashire and the Civil List have all been questioned. The British public pay indirectly for R.P.O's and allegedly towards the upkeep, renovation of historical palaces as legally technically bar a few, we own them. No doubt the Moonmaiden or another more knowledgeable member than myself can clarify. So with the utmost respect, no matter how difficult a member of the general public finds it to fathom, they have a right to ask and to know. None of us with any decency want to know their day to day living arrangements.
I understand what you mean. But I hear the argument "She has a nanny and a houskeeper" all the time and I just wanted to point out what those two things mean. Because people have gotten it in their mind that those 2 people makes it so that Kate lies in bed, doing online shopping all the time.

I understand what you mean. But I hear the argument "She has a nanny and a houskeeper" all the time and I just wanted to point out what those two things mean. Because people have gotten it in their mind that those 2 people makes it so that Kate lies in bed, doing online shopping all the time.
Well how do any of us know she doesn't? Seriously, DOC could be working immensely hard behind closed doors. We don't know. There has been huge criticism of some members of the Royal family for this very reason. Britain is in a terrible state economically and food banks are becoming increasingly common. People are queuing for food, they can't afford to eat and questions are being asked. Homlessness is increasing. Do you know how many children in England go to school without breakfast every day? So yes public spending is a very sensitive topic at the moment.

Well how do any of us know she doesn't? Seriously, DOC could be working immensely hard behind closed doors. We don't know. There has been huge criticism of some members of the Royal family for this very reason. Britain is in a terrible state economically and food banks are becoming increasingly common. People are queuing for food, they can't afford to eat and questions are being asked. Homlessness is increasing. Do you know how many children in England go to school without breakfast every day? So yes public spending is a very sensitive topic at the moment.
Well, if she only have those 2 she can't be. But this is not a discussion on how many she has, I just pointed out that jsut those 2 doesn't make it so she has nothing to do.

I do get your point. But all I could think was it might be enlightening to see the heating/electricity bills before and after the reno at Anmer....:lol:

I understand the curiosity and the perceived need for them to justify expense. But I also think when you lift the veil off the monarchy and start to publish how much is spent on pest control at each house, that it spoils things a bit. At what level of detail do you stop? The family (with the queen and the POW in the lead) have their opinion on this and that's what we get.
Oh and just becasue I mentioned HM and the POW - don't go off topic. Please.

Well, if she only have those 2 she can't be. But this is not a discussion on how many she has, I just pointed out that jsut those 2 doesn't make it so she has nothing to do.

The upside too would be that she has the opportunity to have all bases covered for if and when she will need them.

The time will come when Kate has an engagement and cannot be available to pick up George from preschool. A trusted person is there to fill in.

The time will come when Kate will have to entertain with a formal dinner party. That's covered.

The time will come when they're away from the residence for a set amount of time. That's covered and it won't go to ruin in their absence.

Mac and cheese in the kitchen with Lupo under the table and Daddy walking in from work. That's the opportunity they're taking advantage of now.

For me, as a taxpayer, I can only say that the more people employed by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (and anyone else for that matter) the better - the wages will provide a livelihood for various individuals and be taxed and then spent back into the economy.

Accordingly, what Catherine does in her life has nothing to do with what staff she and the Duke may or may not have or how many they employ. I really do think that knowing all the details would be rather fussing.

Hi Honeybees,

I am not at all familiar with the finances in the BRF. I would love to help out but I couldn't talk about the Cambridge financial situation if my life depended on it, as I don't follow them that much.

I do remember reading that the PoW absorbs some of their expenses.

And I am glad that staff are employed. I was explaining why some show so much interest in the numbers of staff employed etc. The number of staff employed would also correlate in my opinion with how much free time the family has to spend on other things such as researching charities, royal patronage work etc. No one wants to work The Cambridges to the bone but my point remains people are questioning and have a right to do so, no matter how long it takes them to understand.

One important thing to remember too along with Jacknch's remarks about being a staff member and the taxes paid and all is that for most that would be or are employed by Buckingham Palace and other residences in service to the royal family having those credentials on one's resume is like having a gold star flashing out "desirable" to all and sundry.

You leave the service of a royal with a glowing reference, the doors to what you wish to enter are opened a lot wider.

Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

No one in the royal family is paid a salary. The income from the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall is the private income of the respective Duke. The Queen as the Duke of Lancaster could spend it all on squeaky toys for the corgis if she wanted to. Prince Charles as Duke of Cornwall uses the profits to support the public and private life of himself, Camilla, Harry, William and his family.

The staff of at KP such Miguel, Rebecca, etc are paid for by duchy of Cornwall income.

The Civil List was replaced by the Sovereign Grant where the Royal household receive a percentage of the profits of the Crown Estates. The rest of the profits go to the treasury. This income is used to maintain the various occupied palaces, entertaining such as state dinners, garden parties, travel and salaries for people who work at the palaces excluding the staff of the Prince of Wales and Cambridges and Harry- they are paid with DoC money. The use of the sovereign grant money is subject to parliamentary review. The money from the Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall is not. The Prince of Wales does release a report that breaks down his expenditure in general terms. We don't know much is spent on clothing for each Royal as an example.

The Queen and Charles also volunteered to pay income tax on the profits of their duchies. The Queen would also pay taxes on the profits of any from her private estates.

William and Harry also have access to the money inherited from Diana and Queen Mum to use as they wish.

The security is determined by the government and paid for by the government. Those figures are never published.

Unoccupied historical palaces are own by the state and run by a charity the Historical Royal Palaces they run the Tower, Hampton Court, Kew and the public section of KP. They don't get state money so they have gift stores, rent the rooms of the palace out for events and visitor tickets.

That's the Royal finances is a brief nutshell. Very little of the public funds that support the monarchy are directly used by the Cambridges.

Last edited:
And I am glad that staff are employed. I was explaining why some show so much interest in the numbers of staff employed etc. The number of staff employed would also correlate in my opinion with how much free time the family has to spend on other things such as researching charities, royal patronage work etc. No one wants to work The Cambridges to the bone but my point remains people are questioning and have a right to do so, no matter how long it takes them to understand.

The point you're making is valid. The staff that Cambridges have available to them for the most part right now, I would imagine is "as needed". A driver is on retainer to drive when needed. Its his income even though to go to the market for an onion he wouldn't be called to go do it. A primary housekeeper doesn't need to count the linens or the tablecloths or the toilet paper in the bathroom daily but should the occasion arise, she has the top job of getting staff to ready the rooms, inspect the linens and direct what room to stay in goes to whom as in an example, the Middleton family coming for the holidays.
Its what she does and does it well.

Many people and businesses have lawyers on retainer. Its what they do to guarantee a continuity in the interest of their legal actions. The Cambridges' staff, to me, seems to be along the same lines.

When was the last time anyone spotted Rebecca in the background of photos? I ask because it has been a long time since I have.

When was the last time anyone spotted Rebecca in the background of photos? I ask because it has been a long time since I have.
I've seen her rather recently. At least in Scotland I think she was there. I know she was there when Kate repeated the gray dress :p

Rebecca also accompanied the Cambridges and Harry at the Bond premiere.

Thanks all, I obviously need to look a lot closer. :lol::whistling:

Rebecca does a pretty good job of hanging back so she isn't in the shot. Especially when Kate is solo and gets out of the car, Rebecca who is sitting next to her will go around the back of the car a little wide so she isn't right behind Kate when Kate is greeting the host. However, if you watch the itn source videos or look at the photos on Rex or Getty, there will be some Rebecca in them usually.

In the video of Kate and William signing the book of condolences at the French Embassy, Rebecca is seen right at the end.

There's 168 hrs in a week. Even a full-time nanny will only work between 40-60 hrs a week. A lot of other royal couples have multiple nannies for this very reason, but the Cambridges are going with the one for the time being. With William having a full schedule with piloting and royal duties, this leaves mom to be the primary caregiver. Hence, we see a tired mom.

Edit: Now that the mod has moved this post to a new thread, my statement seems random and abrupt. I had been previously responding to a post by LadyGabrielle which said "I think having 2 small ones and constantly on the go would be enough to make you look tired. But then again, I thought they had a full time nanny to take care of the children."

I hope that clarifies my post.

Last edited:
There's 168 hrs in a week. Even a full-time nanny will only work between 40-60 hrs a week. A lot of other royal couples have multiple nannies for this very reason, but the Cambridges are going with the one for the time being. With William having a full schedule with piloting and royal duties, this leaves mom to be the primary caregiver. Hence, we see a tired a mom.
Exactly. One nanny is basically the same amount of time as putting your child in daycare. You can have the nanny on the night OR the day, not both etc. She has rights and just a set amount of hours to work so there is alot of time in the week that the nanny is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom