Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he's wonderful & will be the best king we've ever had. He's had more dealings with 'ordinary' people through his links with homeless charities (introduced by his mother), his time in the military, his service as an air ambulance pilot, his work with mental health professionals etc. He's not stuffy at all but takes his role very seriously.

I agree that he is a decent young man who is doing his best to use his postion well and he has had a lot more contact with ordinary people than most of the previous generation of Royals, through his work as a pilot etc. But I would not say he's likely to be the best king .. time will tell

I agree that he is a decent young man who is doing his best to use his postion well and he has had a lot more contact with ordinary people than most of the previous generation of Royals, through his work as a pilot etc. But I would not say he's likely to be the best king .. time will tell

What does it mean to be a good king these days anyway ?

In the past, when kings actually ruled the country, they were expected to keep the country prosperous, safe from internal and external threats, and as influential as possible in the world stage. Nowadays that is something we expect from the elected politicians who are in government and we blame them (not the king) when they fail to deliver.

A good king today, as I see it then, is someone who is discreet, stays away from partisan politics and political controversy, at least appears to be empathic and sensitive to the plight of the common people, and adequately fulfills his ceremonial roles as Head of State and a national symbol. It might seem a lot already, but there isn't much more to the job than that. Academic and diplomatic training of course is important (and I agree that British royals in general have lacked in that respect compared to other continental princes) , but I think social and other similar soft skills are becoming increasingly as important (or even more important) as the nature of the relationship between monarchy and people, or monarchy and State, changes.

Last edited:
William knows, has always known, that one day he will run the family business. Right now he still has a certain degree of flexibility and seems to acknowledge that being a good father and monarch in training is a pretty good mixture of responsibilities. Catherine is a very big asset in his corner.
I see both of them continuing to grow into their roles quite well. I have to give Charles his due---his measured, considered approach to the coming changes is serving the institution of the crown and his own family well.

I would welcome it, if William would stop a bit of his "charity-work" in favor of meetings with junior professors and business people and activists, which are his age.

Actually, much of his charity work seems to include exactly those sorts of meetings. And we’ve been told in the past that he has been taking various courses of “continuing ed,” if you will, with to prepare him specifically with the body of knowledge he’ll need to first manage the duchy of Cornwall and then to meet with PMs and such.

Even when he is not suitable, he will be King. And often heirs not seen as bright lights turn out to become well-liked monarchs. See the once clumsy and goofy whimp whom was Prince Philippe of Belgium. See "Prins Pils", now the King of the Netherlands. Morale of the story: William will make a fine King.

I'm sorry but the jury is sit out for me foe William's suitability as king. There have been a lot of negative things that came out about him over the years and recently. Knowledge of the job is important but character counts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even when he is not suitable, he will be King. And often heirs not seen as bright lights turn out to become well-liked monarchs. See the once clumsy and goofy whimp whom was Prince Philippe of Belgium. See "Prins Pils", now the King of the Netherlands. Morale of the story: William will make a fine King.

Or George VI, who was an excellent king for the time period, but was regarded as a very dim bulb for a long time prior to that, while his older brother was viewed as a kind of Prince Charming--before he got involved with Wallis Simpson and abdicated.

I'm sorry but the jury is sit out for me foe William's suitability as king. There have been a lot of negative things that came out about him over the years and recently. Knowledge of the job is important but character counts too.

What negative things are you referencing?

Like his father, William has spent his entire life knowing what lies ahead of him and has been learning "hands on" more and more as time went by. Both William and Harry were raised with good examples of what is needed to take their places in the scheme of things. Diana ensured that her sons were exposed to a world beyond the palace walls and Charles set the example of just how serious duty and responsibility is in their roles to come.

William doesn't exude the natural charisma that Harry does but one most definitely can't say that he's immune to feeling for the state of those around him. He can seriously step into the role of Prince of Wales and live up to the motto Charles has of "Ich Dien" (I serve). Just looking at the organizations that William champions such as homelessness, conservation and mental health shows a willingness to know the pulse of the people. Serving in search and rescue and air ambulance and his willingness to be there to support those that have been through a natural disaster are just a few examples of just where his heart lies.

He's spent a lifetime watching and learning from a woman that most likely will go down in British history as the most beloved and most diplomatic monarch of all time and will continue to fill his father's shoes as the Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales will give him even more insight and experience to take on his future role as King. His father has rewritten the book on what it takes to be a Prince of Wales and has totally redefined the role into something so much more meaningful than being a lofty title for a heir to the throne.

William will do just fine. When the time comes. There's stability in both his public and private life and I do believe he'll bring those qualities to the throne with him.

I think Will is quiet and not a performer and he's not glitzy, but I prefer him for that. I think he would be fine not being king but he accepts his destinry

Shakespeare had it right stating "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown". In a way, William's demeanor is very much like his grandmother's with a quiet, reserved manner and I think that will serve him well in years to come.

Its a job for life and just looking at his father, he sees a man already in his 70s who still has the biggest role of his life ahead of him whereas most of the people who hit their 70s are pretty much sailing into their sunset years with retirement. His grandmother, at 93, is starting to slow down a bit but doesn't refrain from any part of her duties as monarch. William has already stepped into a bit of his role of monarch-to-be and does look quite regal himself when he performs investitures.

True, I just think that William is born in a different age to his grandma, and while he accepts he'll be king, it would not break his heart if he wasn't. Whereas the queen is from a different time and has not had the same experience of relatively normal everyday life that younger royals like Will have had..
I think he could relatively easily conceive of just leading a quiet life, and not beingroyal...

True, I just think that William is born in a different age to his grandma, and while he accepts he'll be king, it would not break his heart if he wasn't. Whereas the queen is from a different time and has not had the same experience of relatively normal everyday life that younger royals like Will have had..
I think he could relatively easily conceive of just leading a quiet life, and not beingroyal...

I think the part in bold could very well be the "other side of the fence" for most royals that live, eat and breathe in service to Crown and Country just as for us ordinary folks that perhaps see all the perks of royal life and don't realize just how much of a gilded fishbowl it really is.

No matter who we are, there's always that "other side of the fence". ;)

We don't know how much he does or doesn't know about world affairs, because members of the Royal Family aren't allowed to comment on politics. I'm sure he's very well-informed, but we don't see that. I thought he did a great job on his tour of the Middle East, and on his recent visit to New Zealand following the terrorist attack there. And he's doing a great job of raising awareness of mental health issues. Suicide is the biggest cause of death in the UK of men in their 20s and 30s, and that's partly because men feel unable to talk about mental health problems. The future king speaking out on the subject is changing attitudes. It must be very difficult to be the second in line for the throne when you're in your 30s: I think he's doing a good job.

Actually, much of his charity work seems to include exactly those sorts of meetings. And we’ve been told in the past that he has been taking various courses of “continuing ed,” if you will, with to prepare him specifically with the body of knowledge he’ll need to first manage the duchy of Cornwall and then to meet with PMs and such.

Well, the Queen will hopefully become as old as Queen Mom if not older! So, yes, you have a point! There is probably still much time.

I think, my problem is, that I can't really relate to the work he is doing right now.

Well, the Queen will hopefully become as old as Queen Mom if not older! So, yes, you have a point! There is probably still much time.

I think, my problem is, that I can't really relate to the work he is doing right now.
(…)

Same for Kate's husband! And I think, a Prince talking with football players about hurt feelings, like he did recently, is just comical.
He is trying to reach men; and whether you like football (soccer) or not, fact is that many men do - it's the most popular sport in many countries. So, including football players (as the president of the Football Association - timed around the FA cup) is a great way to reach many people who normally wouldn't be interested in what a royal has to say.

Who do you have in mind that share the same popularity and would reach that target group much better than the people that William wanted to reach?

With William embracing some of the needs of the people he serves, he'll be a king with his heart in the right place and embrace his role and be a king that most definitely will crown him as "the people's king". At least I think so.

Prince William is going to make an excellent King. His mother made sure his formative years prepared him for his future role like no other heir to the throne before him.

Prince William is going to make an excellent King. His mother made sure his formative years prepared him for his future role like no other heir to the throne before him.

Both of William's parents did. If there was one area where Charles and Diana agreed on, it was how they would raise their sons. ?

Reactions: Fem
This thread has been cleaned up with a number of off-topic posts being deleted or edited. This thread is quite clearly not the place to discuss anecdotes about the Duchess of Cambridge, the Cambridges charity work or comparisons between William and his father.

Last edited:
- a degree in Law, Economics or Politics

Though Prince William's degree is Geography, it's actually a quite useful degree for anyone who is looking to lead a country. That's because his degree involves having to study the characteristics of different parts of the world such as the weather in a given place, its biodiversity and the people who inhabit these places to name a few. These are useful if you want a King who is culturally sensitive, environmentally friendly and is capable responding properly to natural disasters. As for William's education on Britain's law, if I'm not mistaken, he will be able to receive personalized instruction (or correspondence courses) on that once he becomes 2nd in line to the throne (this happened to the Queen, for instance). Also, his years at Sandhurst and in military service would make him well-versed in the matters of National Defense which is useful for a future monarch to learn.

- a year or more at an university abroad. For example if you did a LLB in UK, then a Master degree in Politics abroad.

William didn't do this though. The closest he did was to spend his gap year volunteering abroad. Perhaps he could get a postgraduate degree abroad once all his children are in primary school.

- English and two other languages fluent.

Prince William is said to be fluent in French, Swahili, Welsh and Gaelic in addition to English (Source).

- a internship in two ministries (foreign affairs and something else)

He interned for MI5, MI6 and the GCHQ which are Britain's Intelligence Agencies (Source).

- some military training

After university, he went to Sandhurst and then served at the Royal Air Force.

:previous: That source stated that he can "speak a little Swahili". It does not say he is fluent and I doubt he is.

I also am skeptical that he speaks fluent French. On his tours of Canada he has spoken very bad French from a prepared text.:ermm:

IIRC the only language William is fluent in is English. He speaks a little French and not at all fluent. The same applies to Gaelic, Welsh and Swahili. Knowing a few phrases that you memorized doesn't mean you are fluent.

LaRae

I am sure he knows more than few phrases of several languages, no need to undermine that.

No amount of specific education or languages spoken makes someone a Great King or Queen. Some competencies like Courage, Humility, Empathy, Exemplifies culture, Trustworth etc. will probably carry more weight for this role.

Someone can have all education in the world and end-up being a jackass and lack empathy.

:previous: That source stated that he can "speak a little Swahili". It does not say he is fluent and I doubt he is.

I also am skeptical that he speaks fluent French. On his tours of Canada he has spoken very bad French from a prepared text.:ermm:

There is a video on youtube that has Prince William at some social event speaking to an African man in Swahili. That man said, later, that he was surprised how well William spoke Swahili. I don't think the man was just being polite.

I have heard William speak French and it was NOT the best. It was more like my high school French that gets me through visits to Paris and the Riviera. People can understand me and I understand them. That's how William sounded to me. He can get by. The Queen seems to be bilingual in French, though.

:previous: Oh thank you Ms. Leonie...I will look that up. I would love to hear William speaking in Swahili.?

His father's French is flawless, too bad William and Harry do not have the knack I guess.

IIRC the only language William is fluent in is English. He speaks a little French and not at all fluent. The same applies to Gaelic, Welsh and Swahili. Knowing a few phrases that you memorized doesn't mean you are fluent.

LaRae
Cant' even see why he'd know Gaelic unless they mean Scots Gaelic..and Im sure he only knows a few words of thtat.

He did joke in the recent skit with Stephen Fry that he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about when Fry started to talk in French. Not sure if that's self deprecating humour or not & he really knows more than he lets on. I would hope so it is a beautiful language & culture.

HM's French is well known to be very good of course. Or should that be bien sur.:flowers:

Gaelic & Welsh look very difficult to learn although they sound lovely.

Last edited:
When you're a future head of state and you make a thoughtless, no stupid comment about a pandemic while on a royal tour you need remedial training. William made that comment about he and Kate spreading around COVID 19 while in Ireland and cases were starting to climb. Even as a hot mic moment when you in that position you need to watch what you say. He got dragged on social media for it; he came off as lacking empathy for those who were suffering at the time. William may have done some charity awareness but a public apology for his lack of care would have gone a long way.

Back
Top Bottom