Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If he denounces his rightful place then the children are no longer children of an heir. The answer may not be so simple. If you have a source please post the link.

His children don't get their place in the succession entirely from him. They get it from being non-Catholic descendants of Sophia of Hanover through a legitimate line.

In the hypothetical world where William could denounce his place in the succession (which he can't; the only way to remove himself from the succession would be to convert to Catholicism) would just remove himself from the succession, not his children.

If he wanted to remove himself from the succession he legislature would have to be passed in, perhaps not all 16 realms but at least in the ones that had to pass the recent changes to the succession (I believe some realms felt it was enough that the UK pass it, but don't quote me on that). Likewise, if he were King all his realms would have to pass legislature to all him to abdicate - and then George would succeed.

In short we can say: when William gives up his rights, then he gives it up for himself and his eventual future issue. A successor can never give up rights of another successors.

Present line of succession:
1. Prince Charles
2. Prince William

3. Prince George
4. Princess Charlotte
5. Prince Henry (Harry)

William renounces his rights:
1. Prince Charles
2. Prince George
3. Princess Charlotte
4. Prince Henry (Harry)

Last edited:
Currently the only way to remove yourself from the line of succession is to convert to Catholicism or marry someone without the permission of the monarch of you are in the top 6 positions.

Since William is already married with permission, that isn't a option. A person who is removed from the line is treated as he or she is naturally dead. If William died today, George and Charlotte aren't skipped over for Harry.

If he didn't want to live a Royal life, he could have taken steps to remove himself long ago. Not do the things that he has done bring a wife and 2 kids into the Royal fold.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Please note that posts concerning Prince Charles' possible intentions when he becomes king and newspaper articles concerning his taking over the running of the Sandringham Estate have been moved to the following threads respectively:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-monarchy-under-charles-16252-109.html#post1811426

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-duchess-of-cornwall-38149-2.html#post1822386

As requested only one day ago could we please say on topic. This thread is about Prince William's Suitability to be King and not the mechanisms involved in heirs to the British throne renouncing their position in the Succession.

Reasons William would be an amazing King:

Wise beyond his years in balancing his work, royal duties, charity work and family life. When I hear the "work shy" thing, it irks me in that how well did the The Queens workaholic style do for Charles, Andy and Anne's marital success or inner well being???

Committed family man, for now at least, who knows what the future holds, but all signs point to being committed to ONE woman and having his children grow up healthy and happy. Traditional royalist may pooh pooh this, but the old way of doing things wreaked a lot of damage.

Great touch with people, he is his Mother's son with that, and he has a far better insight to modern life, and relating to his subjects. (he puts on his own toothpaste, Charlie). He also is taking on charities that count, like his mother.

Introspective and Quiet, we dont know what William thinks about every little thing and for him, black spiders are something that crawls on the floor. not a need to validate himself, I'll give his grandma credit on that, its something she does well.

So for these and probably a lot more reasons, its getting late, I hope William can be king ASAP after The Queen passes, he's someone id be happy to be out in front to sing "God Save the King" for.

I don't agree with him and I don't know if he agrees with himself either. This is the man who used to praise William all the time, and said on his own CNN show that he would be a an amazing King.

This is also the man who is rude to almost everyone, and he must be taken with a large pinch of salt.

And when it comes to the King thing: I think William will be a much better monarch than Harry, and I think most people would have said the same for a year or two ago.

I also see that there are pictures of Harry with children in this article, but William is just as good with kids/people like Harry (if not better). We just haven't seen it so much recently.

William with children/peolpe:
http://childrenshospitaltrust.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/7837612188_0229217430_b.jpg

http://mx.hola.com/imagenes//realez...sita-birmingham/0-20-668/william-story--z.jpg

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2977017.142512622...atives/16x9_620/japan-britain-royal-visit.jpg

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1373184/meet-wilsl-twins.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/10/article-2601139-1CFB6D3900000578-852_470x668.jpg

http://images.christianpost.com/full/46155/prince-william-canada.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/10/article-2601139-1CFB6D3500000578-798_470x668.jpg

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1373444/wills-meet.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02743/DOC-LADY_2743523b.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/106/590x/secondary/128409.jpg

http://cdn2.gossipcenter.com/sites/...e/story_header/photos/princewill21614-_sp.jpg

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/prince-william-baftas-ftr.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01563/will2_1563391i.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/04/article-2011104-0CDD3B8F00000578-86_964x586.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...lery_1200/prince-william-glasgow-scotland.jpg

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00335/NM204601_a_335469b.jpg

Piers had some to say about Charles to:
I think it does, yes. The clock is ticking. Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, is 67 now.

Who knows how long he might live, but I very much doubt given the more lugubrious way he’s led his life that it will be anywhere near as long as his mother or grandmother.

It’s not inconceivable that the Queen may even out-last him.

Either way, William can expect to take over the reigns (ho ho…) of the Monarchy within the next 15-20 years.

Last edited:
I think Piers and the DM are using this article as clickbait, to see the responses yea or nay that could bring forth the next article on the royals. The succession isn't up for grabs anyway, as we all know, and Harry doesn't wish to be King anyway. It would clip his wings to a large extent.

Look at Piers Morgan giving us to think about:

"I think it does, yes. The clock is ticking. Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, is 67 now.

Who knows how long he might live, but I very much doubt given the more lugubrious way he’s led his life that it will be anywhere near as long as his mother or grandmother.

It’s not inconceivable that the Queen may even out-last him:whistling:.

Either way, William can expect to take over the reigns (ho ho…) of the Monarchy within the next 15-20 years:flowers:."

Looks like William may be on deck sooner than we think, but he does seem to have a great balance to his life, which I think will lend well to a slimmed down Monarchy this century, but more focused on causes near and dear.

I don't think Piers Morgan owns a chrystal ball so he can not predict the future and certainly not the death of the Queen or Prince of Wales. I find it rather distasteful to speculate about such matters. Although the praise for Prince Harry is well-deserved, Piers is delusional in his suggestions of the Duke of Cambridge declining the throne for himself (and apparently also for his children, since Piers wants to get Harry on the throne).

His article is material for the rubbish bin, though true to Piers' origins as a henchman for Rupert Murdoch. He obviouly wanted to write an article about Harry but needed to spice it up with far fetched and bizarre claims to make it more interesting for his readers. No wonder CNN took him of the air.

Having that said: although I do not follow the British RF closely but I do have the impression that I get to see more of Harry than of his brother. It seems to me - judging from across the North Sea- that William is somewhat overshadowed by both his wife as his brother. Instead of writing William off -as PM is doing- perhaps they could find more things for him to do. Perhaps finding him his own niche where he can profile himself in, like Harry with Invictus, Máxima with micro credits etc. Working on a helicopter is useful work of course, but it is IMHO not a sensible preparation for a future head-of-state.

Still, I do not think that an absolute primogeniture line-of-succession should be changed to media-savvy succession, as Piers is suggesting. The only sane reason for such a bizarre suggestion is to attract readers for the Daily Mail. Or as Curryong put it in an earlier post: clickbait.

Last edited:
Having that said: although I do not follow the British RF closely but I do have the impression that I get to see more of Harry than of his brother. Instead of writing William off -as PM is doing- perhaps they could find more things for him to do. His own niche where he can profile himself in, like Harry with Invictus, Máxima with micro credits etc.

After watching Piers Morgan a few times, I quickly realized his level of journalism and haven't listened to a word he's said since.

I think, although its not in the public eye, William's service with East Anglia Air Ambulance is the niche he's comfortable in right now. It may not be official royal engagements and people can see what he's doing, with this job he is striving to serve the people that really need him.

That William and Harry have different personalities and take a different approach to royal life is hardly surprising. Each member of the BRF brings their own unique skill set to the table.

William being labelled 'dull and boring' is a compliment to the Windsors. Elizabeth was the dull sister to Margaret. Charles was the dull brother to Andrew. Bertie, the future king was the dull brother to David.

William is great with children and people who meet him have great things to say but as Victoria Arbiter said on Twitter yesterday, and she's a fan of both Harry and William but as she said, it would be unbecoming of William as future king to hug and kiss everyone and carry on like Harry. The Queen doesn't do it, Charles doesn't do it so why expect William to do it.

She said if everyone were like Harry, the BRF would be one big love fest and that's not what monarchy is about.

It works for Harry and more power to him but he and William are worlds apart with regard to their destinies. What works for William wouldn't work for Harry and Harry's approach wouldn't work for William. Two different people.

Last edited:
The article is click-bait and Harry is who he is because he's not the one set up to become King. He thrives because the expectations of him are not as high and it's safe to say he wouldn't be a happy King. It's not something he wants.

That said, I do think the BRF needs to think about ways to make William more visible (thus likeable) without compromising his family life. He is already overshadowed by his wife (which is expected) but Harry's popularity is massive right now and he has created so much goodwill for himself, that William does come across as ''the lesser brother''. In lack of a better term.

The article is click-bait and Harry is who he is because he's not the one set up to become King. He thrives because the expectations of him are not as high and it's safe to say he wouldn't be a happy King. It's not something he wants.

That said, I do think the BRF needs to think about ways to make William more visible (thus likeable) without compromising his family life. He is already overshadowed by his wife (which is expected) but Harry's popularity is massive right now and he has created so much goodwill for himself, that William does come across as ''the lesser brother''. In lack of a better term.
Just wait until Harry loses that hair as well... Sadly, that will affect and level out his popularity...

The thing is though, William is very popular. Always has been. Just look at the polls done for the Queen's birthday.

With William and Harry it's just a difference of how they go about their royal life. Neither way is wrong, it's what works for each person.

I don't think Piers Morgan actually wants Harry on the throne, but I think people like Peirs think there should be an "accomplishment" contest going on between the two brothers.

Everyone knows William is being trained for kingship, but some think Harry is much more accomplished than his brother. They want William to do something on the lines of his brother's achievements. They also want William to have the same charm has Harry. Their differences and positions aren't respected.

Last edited:
I always liked King Harald V and I have the feeling William will be like him: regal and yet warm.
I don't see the dullness some always spout about him, he has a spark, but it's not 1000 volt strong like Harrys. But that's okay!

I don't think Piers Morgan actually wants Harry on the throne, but I think people like Peirs think there should be an "accomplishment" contest going on between the two brothers.

Everyone knows William is being trained for kingship, but some think Harry is much more accomplished than his brother. They want William to do something on the lines of his brother's achievements. They also want William to have the same charm has Harry. Their differences and positions aren't respected.

I think reporters like Piers see the internetigentsia* on twitter, etc, and have noted how much of the conflict is rooted in "my favourite royal vs your favourite royal". It's definitely clickbait, but it's clickbait informed by feedback from the audience.

It's sad, since I'm sure Harry and William would be horrified by the idea that the viciousness that sometimes happens about each brother is somehow on behalf of the other.

*to be clear, largely an antonym of intelligentsia

It's not a contest! Both brothers are doing a good job in their own approach on working on behalf of the firm. I wish folks like Peirs would get that.

It's not a contest! Both brothers are doing a good job in their own approach on working on behalf of the firm. I wish folks like Peirs would get that.

I agree. But what I'm saying is that folks like Peirs won't "get that" (TBH, i think he knows it perfectly well) as long as he can make money writing columns that pit the fans of the brothers against each other.

You can't expect a leopard to change its spots, especially when those spots are what puts food on the table. Piers Morgan is an outrage machine, chugging along inside the outrage factory known as the Daily Mail, which operates inside the outrage industry of the tabloid press.

The only way Harry is King is if William and William's children all die barring a mass conversion to Catholicism but the kids would have be adults to do that. Piers Morgan knows that. So his article is just click bait. King Henry IX if he ever got to the throne would be totally different then Prince Harry of today because he would have lost his brother and his brother's family to become King. That's going to effect his personality.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

From what I have seen of him in interviews, Prince Harry himself would say Prince William is better suited to be king. Though it doesn't matter, he's the eldest, so that's that. Obviously Morgan is one of those who likes to try to spark a fight that's newsworthy.

Give thought to what makes a Prince suitable to be a reigning King.
Is Prince William being compared to King George VI, King George V, and King Edward VII?

Kings, even in constitutional monarchies, do have to have some qualities of kingship to be successful in modern times. I would say qualities of leadership, a certain gravitas, an ability to connect to one's fellow countrymen and women, knowledge of your country's traditions, and the ability to inspire affection and respect are essentials.

Juan Carlos of Spain, for example, (despite not so great personal actions over time) had enough respect throughout the country to steer Spain through some dangerous anti-democratic squalls while he was still quite a young man, while Constantine of Greece lost control of the situation in his country because he wasn't able to deal with the military element. So, a good working knowledge of the political system and of certain politicians in and out of government is probably extremely useful as well.

Last edited:
I don't think that Harry would be a better King. Harry is Harry and can be Harry, because he was No2 and is getting further down the line. He can do what he wants to do, basically. He will never have the weight of the crown on him.

While I am no fan of William for various reasons, I think that his boring nature partly will help him get through the boring duties such as reading papers, meeting officials etc.

Harry would die on a desk soon enough.

So true.

What makes Harry the person he is is that he is the second one - like Margaret and Andrew before him - close enough to have the perks but far enough to have some fun while the older siblings has to be more circumspect.

I really like Harry but its easy for him to be enthusiastic about the Invictus Games or other military charities because his heart and and soul are quite clearly in it and it's to be commended. Monarch's though have to do things they don't necessarily want to do such as hosting dictators (thinking here Ceausescu).

Would Harry be as enthusiastic when doing the run of the mill duties day after day like the Queen, Princess Anne or Prince Charles?

Some kings are extrovert and exuberant though. Look at Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands. He and his wife Maxima have genuine fun with many of their engagements. They're enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Do you believe that when he becomes King William V, he may be a little more at ease depending upon who the Prime Minister and other official leaders are?

Back
Top Bottom