Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HMQ speaks French to a considerably higher standard than 'schoolgirl', she does so with an English accent, i grant you, but she is pretty 'advanced' at it.

My point Rudolph, is that the for the first time in British Royal history the monarch will not be able to communicate in another language.

William will be less well rounded as a ruler than not only his peers, but his ancestors as well. If for some reason during his world travels during a walkabout he encounters a person who cannot speak English he will need the help of a translator.

How will the fact that he has had a 20 minute chat with the president change that Skippy?? Do you think the average factory worker William meets in Germany will care more that the king of England met President Obama than that William can speak decent German? How about the French speakers ?

I am sure Guillaume probably feels it's more important to be able to communicate with his future subjects effectively...ALL of them...whether in English, German, French, or Luxembourgish, than to schmooze with the president of the US for a few minutes and discuss such monumental world subjects as fave cricket or basketball teams.

Guillaume, Haakon, Victoria, Fred...heck even little Leonor of Spain and Elisabeth of Belgium...will not have the same disadvantage.

Excellent point about Victoria of Sweden Honeybees!;)

Last edited:
:previous:Every one of the young Royal Heirs is at least bi-lingual and in most cases multi-lingual...every single one of them. William of Cambridge is the sole exception.

In fact, he will be the first king in British Royal history who speaks only English.

The idea that only the elderly Royals "old people"... are well rounded in this manner is absurd, and false.

He will not be the first British King to speak only one language. Better for a King of Britain to be uni-lingual and speak English than to be multi-lingual and not speak it (which had happened several times).

Further, I highly doubt he's the only (future) British king to speak just English. I've read that George V did not speak any other languages before becoming King, and attempts to get him to learn another language were less than successful.

What does a dinner between Beatrix and Juan Carlos in 1985 has to do with William?

Is William a member of the CoE ? Yes. Product of a legally sanctioned marriage approved by the monarch per Royal marriage act? Yes Eldest son of the Eldest son of the Monarch? Yes That is all that is needed. When the Queen and Charles die, William is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Being a member of the CoE isn't actually a requirement. Not being a Catholic is a requirement, but technically being a member of the CoE is just an expectation.

Last edited by a moderator:
George V spoke only English tried to learn German as PoW found it difficult. George VI spoke only English. If Elizabeth was born a boy, she would have been sent off in the military like her father and grandfather and wouldn't speak French as she does now.

Being a member of the CoE isn't actually a requirement. Not being a Catholic is a requirement, but technically being a member of the CoE is just an expectation.

Wouldn't you have to become a member of CoE to be its Supreme Governor as monarch?

I'm sorry but I disagree with everyone. For me the fact that the future king of Great Britain speaks only one language is a big minus to his education.

It's probably not the "thing" for many future world leaders and Royals. But as another poster pointed it is not only the mark of a gentleman or a person of breeding, it's also the sign of someone who has an intellectual curiosity about other people and their cultures.

And that is why it is included as mandatory preparation for a ruler.

First of all, this isn't mandatory. Preferable, perhaps, but not mandatory. There is no requirement that says that the King of the UK must speak at least 1 language in addition to English - there isn't even a requirement that the King of the UK speak English.

Second of all, who are you to decide that being bi- or multi-lingual is a sign of being a gentleman, intellectual, or caring at all about other cultures. There are a good number of people in prisons who are bilingual, but I wouldn't make the assumption that they're culturally curious gentlemen.

All being bilingual necessarily shows is that a person can speak two languages.

Every authorized biography I've read of George V and VI states that they could at least manage German.Up until the First World War the British Royal family was enthusiastically pro-German. Edward VII and VIII spoke German and French. Germanophile Queen Victoria spoke German like a native. Her immediate predecessors did as well.

(*See Theo Aronson's "Grandmama of Europe: The Crowned Descendants of Queen Victoria*)

Ish I am not the one who first advanced the idea that the ability to converse in many languages is a sign of a gentleman, Mbruno did and I agree with him. Traditionally in the social strata that William belongs to that has been the case. And to answer your question, I did so as a poster with the right to a personal opinion on a public message board.

Last edited:
Hmmm... suitability to be King? Is Charles more suitable to be King than the present Queen? Of course he is. He, perhaps, is one of the best dressed men in the world and his suits are impeccable. Now with William, he really does need to branch out from the ever present blue suits. Maybe gray or pinstripes or even a dashing seersucker for hot weather.

Charles is better suited to be King now, than Princess Elizabeth was in 1952.

Is he better suited now? He is nowhere near. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise.

Her Majesty has like no other dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth. She have spent 63 years building relations between nations and peoples. She's an international icon, and there will never ever be another like her.

Will Charles and Willian become good Monarchs? Yes, they will. And both of them will and should do things in their own way.

As PW said and I am aware I am paraphrasing, no one could ever have foreseen the enormous changes HM seen during her reign. Who knows what we will see in Prince Charles reign, and the whole point of a an heir is they are next in line to the throne, so by the time PW becomes king, who knows what the role will entail. We don't even know if there will be a Monarchy? This is a role both his father and he have been brought up to perform, all their lives, is it not?

I am almost sure that Charles, William and George etc will become kings of the UK, with or without Scotland. The only reason to why this shouldn't happen must be a very very very big scandal.

To abolish the British monarchy will be very difficult.
1: Most polls must show a majority for a republic.
2: Majority in the house of commons for a referendum, this is not going to happen.
3: Majority in the referendum for a republic, this is not going to happen.
4: Changing the country's name, changing the pound, remove the royal name from all state institutions. These are just some of the things that must be changed.
5: All of this is going to cost so much money that even many Republicans will start doubting it.

I actually think the British monarchy is the safest in the world, along with the Japanese.

Republicanism in the UK remains among the lowest in the world, with figures rarely exceeding 20% in support of a British republic, some polls have it as low 13%, and consistent ~70% support for the continuation of the Monarchy. And Some polls have the support for the monarchy as high as 82%, others at around 70 to 76%, another poll has the support for the monarchy from 66 to 70%.

Wouldn't you have to become a member of CoE to be its Supreme Governor as monarch?

Mary I was Catholic. James VI and I was raised Presbyterian. Charles II converted to Catholicism on his deathbed, James II was a Catholic well before his death. William III was Calvinist. George I and II were Lutheran. I would assume that Frederick, Prince of Wales was also Lutheran.

I'm sorry but I disagree with everyone. For me the fact that the future king of Great Britain speaks only one language is a big minus to his education.

I totally agree eya.

No one is saying he will make a bad king. He can be charming and personable. He seems to relate well to people who are socially disadvantaged.

But in this area I feel he is deficient, especially compared to his peers and his antecedents.

Last edited:
I totally agree eya.

No one is saying he will make a bad king. He can be charming and personable. He seems to relate well to people who are socially disadvantaged.

But in this area I feel he is deficient, especially compared to his peers and his antecedents,
The fact that he can "get by" on only English is actually beside the point. To not have a second language is truly a sign of a lack of proper education. Even in such a country as the US anyone speaking more than one language is at an advantage. To be able to at least engage in a simple conversation in a language other than your mother tongue is really expected of most of us.

My point Rudolph, is that the for the first time in British Royal history the monarch will not be able to communicate in another language.

William will be less well rounded as a ruler than not only his peers, but his ancestors as well. If for some reason during his world travels during a walkabout he encounters a person who cannot speak English he will need the help of a translator.

How will the fact that he has had a 20 minute chat with the president change that Skippy?? Do you think the average factory worker William meets in Germany will care more that the king of England met President Obama than that William can speak decent German? How about the French speakers ?

I am sure Guillaume probably feels it's more important to be able to communicate with his future subjects effectively...ALL of them...whether in English, German, French, or Luxembourgish, than to schmooze with the president of the US for a few minutes and discuss such monumental world subjects as fave cricket or basketball teams.

Guillaume, Haakon, Victoria, Fred...heck even little Leonor of Spain and Elisabeth of Belgium...will not have the same disadvantage.

Excellent point about Victoria of Sweden Honeybees!;)

You bring up an excellent point. I remember when I told my grandmother, who barely speaks English that Stephanie of Luxembourg spoke some Russian, she got so excited, and told me that even though she has heard a great deal about William (and Catherine), she would feel a lot more comfortable speaking with Stephanie, because she won't feel self-conscious about how speech comes across. Now, I highly doubt that William would judge anyone's language mastery, needing an interpreter does make things a little awkward. I'm not saying he needs to take some heavy duty classes in French, Mandorin, Spanish, etc., but to know enough to carry on a simple conversation that would last a minute during a walk-about won't hurt him. In fact, it would make him appear well-rounded, and as you said, intellectually curious, and considerate towards others. Otherwise, I think he would make a wonderful monarch when his time comes. He has excellent social,skills, and is able to relate to people, as well as make them feel important. He strikes me as someone who is compassionate, and kind, and those are important qualities for a monarch to have.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I totally agree eya.

But in this area I feel he is deficient, especially compared to his peers and his antecedents,
. Moonbeams forgive me if you are feeling unsupported. I believe you made very valid points. I am not as knowledgeable as you especially regarding the historical element but your comment about cultural sensitivity was IMHO excellent. Even I push myself to speak a few words of French, Italian and Irish and people laugh but they appreciate the effort. PW is a human being and we all have our faults and failings. All of us. I sincerely hope that you are okay and not upset.

The fact that he can "get by" on only English is actually beside the point. To not have a second language is truly a sign of a lack of proper education. Even in such a country as the US anyone speaking more than one language is at an advantage. To be able to at least engage in a simple conversation in a language other than your mother tongue is really expected of most of us.
Hmm... a thought hit me. Do we KNOW that he can't engage in a simple conversation in french? I mean... if he needed to. Maybe not well, but do we know that he doesn't speak it a little at least?

Exactly.

It's appalling when I meet fellow Americans who justify their lack of knowledge of a foreign language with the attitude of "why should WE bother?? They need us more than we need THEM. They need to learn English!"

The arrogance and stupidity of an attitude like that speaks for itself.:cool:

And now behold...many of the best paying jobs in the current US economy demand at least a working knowledge of Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin or even Arabic.:ohmy:

With the advance of technology our planet is shrinking. It's a definite disadvantage for anyone...not just a future king.

Last edited:
'I may not like what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it ' Voltaire. Whatever anyone's opinions, believes etc. I am not making too much of an assumption when I state that we all believe PW to be a human being and as such capable of the odd flaw, failing, just like the rest of humanity?

I work in a customer service role in a multicultural area in Australia. I made it a point to learn how to say such simple things as "hello, how are you" "It's a nice day" in six languages, including Cantonese, Italian, Greek and Persian. I can't go much further than that (though I can understand more) My pronunciation isn't always very good either. The point is that people love you for trying. Their faces light up so much when they encounter someone who respects them enough to learn a little of their language and it really breaks the ice.That alone would be worth any Royal learnig a smattering of some languages.

We'll have to agree to disagree on languages.

I just watched a documentary on King George V and David Starkey said the man was illiterate.

William knows at least enough french to receive applause for using it in Montreal. Better than me and I live in a 'bilingual' country.

When I watch US presidential debates I don't her constant moaning over whether the candidates know Russian or Hindi. Maybe they do and maybe they don't

It seems in English speaking countries there just isn't the same obsession with speaking five languages. Sure it would be cool if that's your thing but its not a sign of intellect or superiority.

CP Mary learning danish, absolutely. Princess Charlene learning french, by all means I just personally don't see the need for William to be fluent in any language other than English except for his own interest.

I must be having a memory lost but I clearly remember William speaking French during the Canadian tour in 2011.

Even Kate spoke to a Quebec Mayor in French per this Telegraph article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-royal-tour-of-Canada-and-the-US-day-one.html

William has also drop in non English lines in various speeches in his overseas tours and his visit to Anglesey farm show where he busted out the Welsh.

He isn't demanding only to speak and be spoken to in English.

We'll have to agree to disagree on languages.

I just watched a documentary on King George V and David Starkey said the man was illiterate.

William knows at least enough french to receive applause for using it in Montreal. Better than me and I live in a 'bilingual' country.

When I watch US presidential debates I don't her constant moaning over whether the candidates know Russian or Hindi. Maybe they do and maybe they don't

It seems in English speaking countries there just isn't the same obsession with speaking five languages. Sure it would be cool if that's your thing but its not a sign of intellect or superiority.

CP Mary learning danish, absolutely. Princess Charlene learning french, by all means I just personally don't see the need for William to be fluent in any language other than English except for his own interest.

Some places in the U.S., knowing a foreign language would be a negative thing for a Presidential candidate. This is a country that changed French Fries to Freedom Fries.

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and a year of German in college but I can only count to ten and say please and thank you now because I never had to use it in my day to day life. I am fluent in the chemical abbreviations in the periodic table though since I'm a chemist.

Rudolph with the utmost respect, for any monarch to speak a few words in another language is culturally sensitive, emotionally intelligent and not beyond PW as he has managed a few words in Welsh and French previously. There is no one language any more. I doubt anyone wants PW to be fluent in multiple languages.

This whole topic reminds me of JFK in Germany and his famous speech Ich bin ein Berliner!

What he was really saying is: I am a jelly doughnut! :lol:

But the crowd cheered anyway because they knew what he was trying to do.

No, I can assure you that Ich bin ein Berliner really means: I am a Berliner. There is no misunderstanding possible. Yes, the Berliner Ball or the Berliner Pfannkuchen is a sweet filled bread but it is really impossible to interpret JFK's quote in that way...:lol:

Charles is better suited to be King now, than Princess Elizabeth was in 1952.

Actually my response on "suitability" was tongue in cheek as in relating to suits which Charles wears with his own style and fashion yet is impeccably dressed. It wasn't a reflection on his ability to be a King.

And I do agree he is much more prepared than his mother for the role that he will inherit and as fastidious as Charles is, he'll be making sure that his son and heir is prepared as well. The monkey wrench that hit the fan for the British monarchy was the abdication of Edward VIII and the drastic changes it caused and yet it not only survived but grew and prospered and endeared the royal family to the public even more.

I do think that David (Edward VIII) was the catalyst that rocked the boat so much that a new face of the British monarchy came about. All of a sudden there was a monarch that never dreamed he would be in that position and having only girls, put his eldest daughter into the heir to the throne position. They dealt with it. We then see a new Prince of Wales on the scene that is very unlike his predecessor. He actually had to invent what his role would be for the next 30-40 years. His choice was to actually do something besides cut ribbons and do society parties and country weekend forays which the previous Prince of Wales was fond of (which may or may not have helped out his first marriage) and still to this day, works diligently at what is important to him. He's dealing with it.

William, in time, will also deal with it. In his own manner and his own way that suits who he is. One thing I can say though is that he's had excellent teachers. :flowers:

On the subject of speaking various languages, I would bet my last cheese curl that Harry knows his fair share of middle eastern languages.

Ok.. question as long as we are talking about the importance of being able to communicate in different languages. How many royals are fluent in sign language for the deaf and hearing impaired?

No, I can assure you that Ich bin ein Berliner really means: I am a Berliner. There is no misunderstanding possible. Yes, the Berliner Ball or the Berliner Pfannkuchen is a sweet filled bread but it is really impossible to interpret JFK's quote in that way...:lol:

I was told that story in Germany last year; JFK was supposed to say: Ich bin Berliner!
The mistake was saying ein.

No?

Last edited:
On the subject of speaking various languages, I would bet my last cheese curl that Harry knows his fair share of middle eastern languages.

Ok.. question as long as we are talking about the importance of being able to communicate in different languages. How many royals are fluent in sign language for the deaf and hearing impaired?
Oh, good point! That would be a better question. I think Prince Phillip might be, wasn't his mother deaf?

Let's get back on topic, which is William's suitability to be King.

I think PW has all the makings of an excellent king. I believe he could make an effort with languages and that at the moment both he and his wife have a problem with their perceived lack of duties. The media is viscous but we are living in terrible times economically.

I think PW has all the makings of an excellent king. I believe he could make an effort with languages and that at the moment both he and his wife have a problem with their perceived lack of duties. The media is viscous but we are living in terrible times economically.

The more I think about it, the more I think what William and Kate are doing is laying a groundwork for the future and their times as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge and possibly Prince and Princess of Wales and then eventually King William and Queen Catherine.

The press knows this is their future. The press knows they're younger and good looking and each and every move they make (and some they don't make) makes for good headlines and feeds the social media and gets people talking about it and of course the Daily Mail counts on the negatives. This is what the press does best.

Right now and in their own way, Will and Kate are stating what is not acceptable and it generates the press into tazmanian devil mode with guaranteed negative comments and that is supposed to represent the "public".

Lets look at it from another perspective. We do know that HM and the DoE do enjoy barbeques and even do the dishes. As much as these two are in the public forefront, no one dare to intrude on their private time although in silly mode, the sordid stories have been generated over time and forgotten.

To be honest, we really don't know for sure anything generated about HM and the DoE's private life nor do we really get that much insight into Charles and Camilla's that is reputable. Is it really any wonder that that most of what we see and read and hear about Will and Kate most likely is a trumped up version of something someone said somewhere that may or not be true?

I think the best move that William and Catherine are making is to do all they can to separate the public from the private. As King and Queen Consort, what will be needed is the focus on their roles in the monarchy and not which brand of toilet paper they use and what brand of dog food they use for Lupo.

Last edited:
Another question and I do not mean to sound disrespectful. Just asking opinions.
Do you think when the inevitable happens the Queen will name Prince William as the new King? And why or why not?

Another question and I do not mean to sound disrespectful. Just asking opinions.
Do you think when the inevitable happens the Queen will name Prince William as the new King? And why or why not?
No. Why? Firstly, she can't. Secondly, why would she?

Back
Top Bottom