Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He must be in Kenia last Oct-Nov. with Kate and friends. Was that not a vacation?

He was there to propose to Catherine, he wasn't there for a long time 2 weeks or something.
I cannot remember the last time he was away before that. Maybe skiing last February.
It's not like we hear about him hopping on a plane every two weeks to some far off island.
We don't hear about his work in the army because there is no point to use hearing about it. We see him on official visits, like we might see him at the BAFTAS.

It's not like the whole BRF doesn't ever take time off. There are big stretches at Sandringham and Balmoral.

Sandringham and Balmoral are on "home turf", Kenya and tropical islands are not. ;)

It's not like the whole BRF doesn't ever take time off. There are big stretches at Sandringham and Balmoral.

Whilst at Sandringham and Balmoral, it has been reported that HM continues to review her official red boxes. The PoW and the DoC also often carry out engagements locally in Scotland / Norfolk whilst in residence.

There are stretches there but they are also the bases from which they carry out a number of royal duties e.g. the Braemar Games, the annual visit to the WI from Sandringham.

And of course the Queen still does her daily boxes. They follow her everywhere and every day.

I think that the republishing of vacation photos might give the impression that they're on vacation more than they are. Also, most people in North American start with two weeks' vacation in a new job. So to people on this side of the water, it seems like the British get a lot of vacation time. I used to think that my UK friends were vacationing an awful lot, and then I learned that it's the norm over there to have four to five weeks.

II've no idea what the terms are for an RAF SAR pilot's holiday time but most jobs in UK have 4-5 weeks available as holiday that can be booked & taken anytime in the year,
I've never really seen why people get so up in arms about supposedly being on holiday all the time,

I have to sign this.

I would not what some kind of "empty shell" or "puppet" as a head of state. Somebody who is handsome, knows how to give a speech, which somebody else wrote, waves to his people and smiles would be not enough for me.

How would you know that person could do more than be handsome, know how to give a speech, etc.?

Whilst at Sandringham and Balmoral, it has been reported that HM continues to review her official red boxes. The PoW and the DoC also often carry out engagements locally in Scotland / Norfolk whilst in residence.
I dont recall WIlliam doing so. My point is, they have 2 months at their various 'vacation homes' every year. I personally would be thrilled to have 2 months a year off, as I am sure other members of William's squadron would be. Though I would personally prefer to go Pss Margaret's route of Mustique for the vacation home. William used to spend quite a bit of time in Switzerland skiing with his father too. Does anyone know the last year they did that?

About the foreign language thing...isn't the official language of the Court of St. James French? Has that been changed? Why would not all "working" royals be required to speak it (or at least be adept enough to translate a menu.)

And about the vacation thing. I am sure that William gets preferential treatment, as most military men and women get a 30 day furlough and it is taken all at one time. Then again, the rules probably don't apply to PW.

Last edited:
I dont recall WIlliam doing so. My point is, they have 2 months at their various 'vacation homes' every year. I personally would be thrilled to have 2 months a year off, as I am sure other members of William's squadron would be. Though I would personally prefer to go Pss Margaret's route of Mustique for the vacation home. William used to spend quite a bit of time in Switzerland skiing with his father too. Does anyone know the last year they did that?

We have to remember also that William is not a full time working royal at this point. His full time duties are in Wales with SAR. I really don't buy into it that William wouldn't work any more or less than than his fellow crewmates either. What most probably happens when William needs to have a week off at a certain time is that he'll work more shifts when he is able rather than like others perhaps who work 4 shifts on and 3 shifts off kind of thing and putting in as many hours a month as anyone else. IIRC William wants to be treated like any other member of his regiment and most certainly would not take advantage of who he is to wangle more time off etc.

The last time I recall him going skiing was last spring with the Middletons. I have no clue when the last time he skiied with his dad. Those trips may have become rarer since his father remarried and both boys have active military roles now.

The educations received by other heirs to thrones in Europe are reasonably impressive but not necessarily needed. The Swedish monarch's role, for example, is virtually entirely symbolic. European kings and queens do not make laws or create policy, they do not actually govern, they do not conduct diplomatic negotiations. All that is done by elected or appointed officials who usually have the necessary training and education or have staff members who do. When the monarchs receive foreign heads of state, their role is simply to chat amiably and appear at elegant state dinners, where they make charming speeches. They are figureheads whose royal status sheds lustre on state events and is intended to make other heads of state feel that they are having a special experience, but that experience does not involve any of the nitty-gritty work of establishing political relationships or discussing mutual political and economic interests.

The truth is that both Prince Charles and Prince William are far better-educated than any heirs to the British throne of the past, and it's not a bad thing that both of them have acquired some significant cultural education, since that's most likely what they will be discussing with foreign officials. Their conversation is more likely to consist of comments such as "I visited the beautiful Temple of Whatever in your country and was most interested by .... " than "I'm quite concerned about your lack of human rights laws and the way this is affecting your treatment of the Whatever population in your nation." In fact, before meeting a head of state, a monarch is going to be briefed on what subjects to avoid by officials who know that it isn't the monarch's function to discuss them.

In this day and age, monarchs should be university-educated, they should be familiar with the world and the problems and cultures of individual nations, they should understand the relationships that their countries have with those nations. But they can receive important tutorials on those subjects from expert government officials and actually end up knowing more than they'd learn in university classes. An heir to a throne or a monarch really has access to more knowledge than any university student is going to enjoy, though it's unlikely that he or she will ever use it in more than superficial manner.

I think the last family ski trip may have been 2005. In 2006, PW spent $80,000 on a Klosters vacation with Kate and a "few" friends.

In this day and age, monarchs should be university-educated.

What would happen if the heir to the throne doesn't have the ability to go to university e.g. the late Diana, Princess of Wales' results at school wouldn't have allowed her to go to university.

If Kate and William's heir has Diana's results are you saying that person can't beceme the monarch?

I think the last family ski trip may have been 2005. In 2006, PW spent $80,000 on a Klosters vacation with Kate and a "few" friends.

I am a bit confused. Not sure how much William spent on a vacation has to do with if he is or is not suitable to be King.

Knowing complex sets of facts, such as those taught by professors in classrooms, cannot help but enhance anyone's occupation. Experience plus education are a good recipe for a productive life.

Experience alone does not help a person understand the world situation, and that should matter to a head of state. Being able to form independent conclusions, find one's own experts, and not simply rely on being "told what to know" by a group of pre-selected advisors would all be wonderful traits for a head of state.

William strikes me as the kind of young man who may well take charge of his own education at some point (as he seems to be doing already), and while it doesn't have to be in the classroom, that doesn't mean that he doesn't interact with educated persons, does it?

So, who exactly manages the royal fortune? Do they rely on some specific set of financial advisors? A brokerage house? How do they actually preserve their wealth over the generations? Do they know? Or does someone else know for them? I'm quite curious.

I personally do not think that William is going to go back to university anytime soon to do another postgrad degree in politics or economics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone really ready to be King or a leader when the time comes... I am from the U.S. and while we change leaders on a regular basis, one never really knows how a president will turns out. In a way, this is why I reveal in the Monarchical system because a president will say and do anything to become president. A prince knows from the day of their birth there is a STRONG probability that they one day would wear the crown. excepting in extreme cases such as the Ascension of George VI>Elizabeth II, Victoria, and George I.
Some of the best leaders is those who the burden of state is thrust upon them.

George VI is certainly a good example of what you illustrated. There he was, with his wife and two daughters, only to find that his elder brother is throwing a spoke in the wheel :)

Some might say he paid dearly for it. Therefore I can't agree with you completely.

This is why he'll never be a suitable King. Never mind that actually thousands of people have a better claim to the Throne than his family has, he just doesn't seem to have the true character needed to take on the task. Really self-centred and lazy, it's all about partying and drinking with Kate and his friends. She's as bad as he is.

Also, paying for vacation after vacation, whilsts REAL service people don't have that privilege is an outrage. No wonder they both have such a work-shy image.
But you'll never hear the big bad media talk about it, REALLY. :bang:

This is why he'll never be a suitable King. Never mind that actually thousands of people have a better claim to the Throne than his family has, he just doesn't seem to have the true character needed to take on the task. Really self-centred and lazy, it's all about partying and drinking with Kate and his friends. She's as bad as he is.

Also, paying for vacation after vacation, whilsts REAL service people don't have that privilege is an outrage. No wonder they both have such a work-shy image.

My my, it seems your every post about this couple is negative .... one wonders why you bother to pay attention at all. :ermm:

Sorry, but I cannot see any reason why William should be regarded as unsuitable to succeed his father.

He has enjoyed a good education at St. Andrew's. He has a (more or less) full-time job with the Armed Forces.

He has courage, otherwise he could not be a rescue pilot.
He knows how to behave well.

What more can you want?

Never mind that actually thousands of people have a better claim to the Throne than his family has, he just doesn't seem to have the true character needed to take on the task. Really self-centred and lazy, it's all about partying and drinking with Kate and his friends. She's as bad as he is.

1; Better claim?
2; When was the last time you saw William and Catherine walking out of a club?

1; Vacation after Vacation? - They went on holiday to get engaged and have just come back from their honeymoon. Before their engagament when was their last vacation?

You sound so jealous of these people.

HRH Prince William might not have wanted to be King but I think He has come to accept this "Most Likely Future" that He will have to endure. I can't see any reason why he can't do just as good of a job as his great-grandfather. Hopefully, His health will be better in the long run. I think HRH Catherine is going to be a good influence on Him for the future. They have each other to lean on and that will go a long way for maintaining a solid family.

Perhaps Mumper should be made to watch the film footage of William rescueing stranded climbers or injured hikers.......

Honestly, I don't know what people want from William (or people in his position in regards to social status and wealth).

They want him to act like he is not better than anyone but than you get cries that he is not normal and is just "playing" at life. He goes to University and we hear cries of it being a waste, since when is educating yourself a waste, he picks Geography as a major and its a joke, but if he does law, or business....he couldn't have possibly don't it on his own merits...or he is taking someone's (who is apparently more worthy) place. He goes clubbing (like a lot of people his age...psst...don't tell anyone but Zonk used to do the club scene as well) and all of sudden all he does is party. He doesn't go clubbing, because he has matured and has been there, done that, have the t shirt, and people are still talking about stuff he did years ago!

And on the basis of this, we are going to say he is unsuitable to be King. Why are we judging him on stuff he did as a college student? He went to Sandhurst, works a demanding job, that itsn't normal 8 to 5, so whose to say he can't vacation?

You are so right, Zonk. It's only the very envious that resent things like this. Not many of us can afford to take that kind of vacation, but we can take vacations. It is a total waste of time resenting someone who can afford to do things like this. Rather than blame William or one of the other royals for what they do, these people should better blame their parents. After all, it is only an accident of birth. William didn't ask to be born to Charles and Diana- he just was. And none of us got to pick our parents. They should stop wasting their time being resentful and put that time to better use- then, maybe they could afford a great vacation.

PS= It's unfair to blame our parents for not being royalty. After all, they couldn't help it either

Disappointed with the short show up of the Cambridges during the Official Visit of the President of the United States.

Back
Top Bottom