Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we should remember that traditionally, males do not live as long as females and this tends to be world wide and for many different reasons.

I personally think it is quite possible that Prince Charles will predecease his mother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother buried a child, Princess Margaret did not live to be quite old.

Possibly but Charles lives a much healthier lifestyle that his aunt Princess Margaret did, and it was Margaret's lifestyle (smoking, booze) that certainly contributed to her early demise.

We can't judge Prince Charles's health to his male ancestors. The times are different, he's not a heavy drinker, smoker. He lives a less food, glutenous lifestyle than his grandfathers. His mother's father was a heavy smoker and ruled during WWII . Plus the stress of abdication. Life expectancy has also changed. I see Prince Charles living a long life :)

We can't judge Prince Charles's health to his male ancestors. The times are different, he's not a heavy drinker, smoker. He lives a less food, glutenous lifestyle than his grandfathers. His mother's father was a heavy smoker and ruled during WWII . Plus the stress of abdication. Life expectancy has also changed. I see Prince Charles living a long life :)

Only the Lord knows.

I most certainly hope Prince Charles lives another 30+ years! I have always liked and admired him, I think he would make an excellent King!

I most certainly hope Prince Charles lives another 30+ years! I have always liked and admired him, I think he would make an excellent King!

I also see Charles as doing a fantastic job when he ascends the throne although I do get the feeling that his reign will be fairly short and not really have time to have much impact on things other than the plans already most likely in the works for the monarchy. I'm sure that the Way Ahead (I think that's what its called) committee have a certain game plan they've been working on for years and Charles will step into his role as King with ease. Part of that game plan right now is the introduction of Team Cambridge gradually into the public eye while minor royals such as Beatrice and Eugenie are slated for lives outside of royal duties. As we all know, HM has been highly dedicated and devoted as the Queen Regnant and I wouldn't expect any less than for the direction of the monarchy in the future to be any less than a high priority for her.

On that note, this is what William has grown up with, understands and, I think, is more than suitable to fulfill his role in due time. In 20 years time, he will be needed to be the primary backup for an aging Charles and bit by bit over the coming years, will learn by doing yet not taking the spotlight away from his father and have a chance to raise a family without the pressures of what the PoW had early in his marriage. Yet, on the other hand, there are circumstances that could drastically change at a given moment and I'm reasonably sure all of that also has been taken into consideration.

Charles will live long because he grows his own fruit and veg, organically !

I am not aware of any scientific study that proves organically grown food prolongs life.

IMO, Prince Charles is not aging well despite his organic healthy lifestyle. My husband who is 59 was shocked when he saw Prince Charles while watching the wedding. He asked if that was Prince Phillip. :lol: He thought I was joking when I responded....No, that's Prince Charles. When I pointed out Prince Phillip, he said they looked more like brothers than father and son. Not a ringing endorsement for Prince Charles coming from someone 3 years younger.

Bundtrock said:

He probably will.
This family doesn't die easily.

But I do hope Charles scoots over soon and allow Will to reign. I would hate to see Will waiting so long to be king.

He probably will.
This family doesn't die easily.

But I do hope Charles scoots over soon and allow Will to reign. I would hate to see Will waiting so long to be king.

Prince Charles won't scoot anywhere. As long as he outlives his mother, he will follow his destiny and become King when the Queen passes.

Prince Charles won't scoot anywhere. As long as he outlives his mother, he will follow his destiny and become King when the Queen passes.

Indeed, and I don't think William will have to wait to become King as long as Charles has been waiting.

I could see Will becoming King in his late 50s, early 60s. Unless Charles scoots over he won't be king anytime soon.

I thought the question was about William's suitability to be king?

IMO, Prince Charles is not aging well despite his organic healthy lifestyle. My husband who is 59 was shocked when he saw Prince Charles while watching the wedding. He asked if that was Prince Phillip. :lol: He thought I was joking when I responded....No, that's Prince Charles. When I pointed out Prince Phillip, he said they looked more like brothers than father and son. Not a ringing endorsement for Prince Charles coming from someone 3 years younger.

Interesting what we see. Charles is clearly in good shape - fleshed out but trim. He is living a healthy lifestyle. Phillip is a man 90 years old and looks it - becoming lean and hollowed out as older people do as they approach their end - especially in the face. In no way do these two men look similar IMO.

In fact, its crossed my mind that with such a long and enduring companionship, how long would either of the spouses live if the other dies. The Queen has already had the shock of the loss of her mother (and her sister). With the death of Phillip, I wonder - and he really looks like he is starting the process towards his passing days.

William is just not seasoned enough for kingship. Luckily, Charles is. I think kingship would overwhelm William - especially if he came into it 'too soon' - without a grandparent or parent to help him along.

To answer the question in the thread's title: Yes. William is suitable. He has the right pedigree and all other things are being taken care of by the British laws who include provisions of how to deal with a demented king. So even that would prose no problem.

Yes he is. He is a grown man, an officer and a husband. He also has a uni degree. I think we tend to see him as the young man behind his mothers coffin, but he is not anymore. Many 30 yo has demanding jobs.

I have thought about this and have come to the conclusion that in my own personal opinion I do not think William suitable in any way except for his birth. I think HM The Queen has represented her Kingdom in the most dignified and dutiful way but I believe that the last great, really great, sovereign was Queen Elizabeth I.

Great idea, Expat. Not enough people are beheaded these days ;-)
No seriously, QEI ruled on quite different terms than modern day royals, so let's cut them some slack

Prince William probably will be well into his 50's or 60's before he become King. Or Older. A lot of this will depend on Prince Charles's health and how long he lives. He's been trained all of his life so when he does become King of England he will be well suited to the job.

He could have failed all the way through school, never got a job, been a playboy and he still would be suitable to be king because all he needs is to be born.

In fact, that's exactly the route that Edward VII took!

. . . I believe that the last great, really great, sovereign was Queen Elizabeth I.

I love Queen Elizabeth I, also, but that's pretty harsh on those who have come after her. Victoria, while a pill, presided over a great period in the nation's history--nah, you might just be right after all!

If I had any doubts about William being a good King ( which I did not) than this tour wiped those away! Actually the tour just proved what my gut told me all along- William will be a wise, caring inspirational, leader , of the people, who " will lead from the heart , not the head." He will not lead hidden away in an ivory tower either. He will be real! He will inspire! He will have an impact on this world!
And he will have the loving support of a fantastic Queen Consort!

Last edited:
William will be King one day.
King of more than England, as he will be the head of 'the Commonwealth'.
When he speaks to any of us, (his subjects), I will not be thinking of the subjects HE chose to study; but rather of his personality and his ability to make people feel at ease in his company and of the good he does by bringing attention to those who need it, (charities), and by promoting Great Britain & Other Nations of the commonwealth.
He, together with his new Bride, have just proved they can do that; therefore in my eyes he is fit to be King one day!:flowers:
Throughout history there is always the question of each Monarch about their suitabililty; - it doesn't need to be questioned.
He is the heir to the heir, it is a hereditary system, therefore the question is answered: = yes he is suitable !.:flowers:

If I had any doubts about William being a good King ( which I did not) than this tour wiped those away! Actually the tour just proved what my gut told me all along- William will be a wise, caring inspirational, leader , of the people, who " will lead from the heart , not the head." He will not lead hidden away in an ivory tower either. will be real! He will inspire He will have an impact on this world!
:previous: agree whole-heartedly, brilliant answer.

I love William. I think it is still hard for me to except that he has grown up and is a strong, charismatic, and beloved prince. I think he will be a great king. I believe is focus with largely be on veterns and the military and on people in need. He seems to be really big on reaching out to others and being approachable like his mother. U can see by the charities and the way he interacts with people especially in Australia and New Zealand. He also visited people in Canada. I think we tend to underestimate him and forget the good he does, is doing, and his dedication. You can see it in Catherine as well which is why they make such a good team. They are very humble and big on people and their needs.

If I had any doubts about William being a good King ( which I did not) than this tour wiped those away! Actually the tour just proved what my gut told me all along- William will be a wise, caring inspirational, leader , of the people, who " will lead from the heart , not the head." He will not lead hidden away in an ivory tower either. He will be real! He will inspire! He will have an impact on this world!

This is very beautifully put, and I agree wholeheartedly. William is a caring person, and will be a very good leader. He is respected and admired, and that is important if one will be in a leading role. He certainly knows how to make others feel at ease, and that will make him even more suitable for his eventual kingship. I love how you said that he will 'lead from the heart' and I believe that one hundred percent. Him and Catherine make a great team (as the tour has shown us), and it'll be exciting to watch them take the stage in the years to come. Hopefully many of us will see the day that these two will be crowned and given a chance to reign.

Last edited:
Willaim the Conqueror

I do not think that William’s education will contribute negatively to him becoming a successful King. If one has the passion, determination and the sense of duty required, one will be a great achiever in the role. Age also does not hold any weight. Just look at the young age our Elizabeth II came to the throne and she has been of the longest reigning and most successful monarchs in British history. No matter how much grooming take place, one can never be properly ready or popular for that matter. Charles has been groomed for the past 60 years now and is still “wishy washy” with his main concerns around saving the tree.
Unfortunately I do think that Elizabeth will be the last of the GREAT British royals. All the customs and traditions which she has fought so hard to preserve will fall by the wayside when she is gone. The British monarchy will then largely become a low –key monarch y and exist in a way in which monarchies exist in East European countries. Agreed we are now in 2011 and not 1511 but still a sad thought.
However I do believe that William has the ability to be a successful King at a young age. He has a popular and supportive wife. He also has real passion and caring for the people, which is largely what the role of King is about.

Queen Victoria was a great Queen, why? She had wonderful people running the country for her. She retired for most of her reign and the country was still enjoying one of its greatest eras in its history. It was very lucky for her that her era produced such brilliant statesmen.
She was a wonderful matchmaker though.

She was a wonderful matchmaker though.

I don't think this was intended. But she was a very gracious and generous hostess and for many of Europe's princesses, whose parents often were as well friends as cousins to Victoria, her court was a place to stay for longer periods of time. Maybe because she had retired mostly into her private life and so had time for all those young Royal ladies and enjoyed being with them and they with her. An interesting read is the book Court Life from within by Maria Eulalia of Spain, Duchess of Montpellier who was one of the young ladies there, So Victoria's private court became some sort of marriage market but I'm not sure the queen actively was involved in matchmaking except for her own children - she rather offered the possibilities for meetings.

It was very lucky for her that her era produced such brilliant statesmen.
Not sure about that one.
The Irish famine took place under Queen Victoria's rule.
And the horrendous famine in India took place 40 years later.
The handling, or rather inaction, by the Victorian government was hardly statesman-like

I do not think that William’s education will negatively contribute to him being a successful King. If one has the passion, determination and the sense of duty required, one will be a great achiever in the role. Age also does not hold any weight. Just look at the young age our Elizabeth II came to the throne and she has been of the longest reigning and most successful monarchs in British history. No matter how much grooming take place, one can never be properly ready or popular for that matter. Charles has been groomed for the past 60 years now and is still “wishy washy” with his main concerns around saving the tree. No political intellect has been fortcoming at all.
Unfortunately I do think that Elizabeth will be the last of the GREAT British royals. All the customs and traditions which she has fought so hard to preserve will fall by the wayside when she is gone. The British monarchy will then largely become a low –key monarch y and exist in a way in which monarchies exist in East European countries. Agreed we are now in 2011 and not 1511 but still a sad thought.
However I do believe that William has the ability to be a successful King and also at a young age. He has a popular and supportive wife. He also has real passion and caring for the people, which is largely what the role of King is about.

Back
Top Bottom