The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2021, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

You don't need to speak seven languages, but you do need fluent English. William just happens to have had that from life, rather than education. Considering how long multiple languages have been a feature of royalty, it's a bit sad that William isn't able to do it.

But will it affect how he reigns or any of his work? Probably not. (Yet they still seem to be making an intensive effort to have his kids learn Spanish, if grapevine is correct, so he seems to realize this still matters.)

There's more than one way to be a good monarch. The European way seems far more formalized, for whatever reason.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
You don't need to speak seven languages, but you do need fluent English. William just happens to have had that from life, rather than education. Considering how long multiple languages have been a feature of royalty, it's a bit sad that William isn't able to do it.

But will it affect how he reigns or any of his work? Probably not. (Yet they still seem to be making an intensive effort to have his kids learn Spanish, if grapevine is correct, so he seems to realize this still matters.)

There's more than one way to be a good monarch. The European way seems far more formalized, for whatever reason.
But it shows how apparently little efforts were made on his eduaction, did Diana or Charles spend a lot of thoughts about his upbringing and what did those who were in charge miss? C&D spend a great amount of their time dealing with their personal problems, affairs and whatsoever.
H&M are on the best way to fail aswell as H's parents did., especially because of missing the maturity to make a goodjob aswell as mental health problems and dealing with evrything else but the important stuff.
I am glad to see how W&K have chosen to give it a great if not the biggest priority in their life how to bring up their children. (not only considering a second language of course). I am sure George's generation will make a big difference and hopefully be one of the happiest in the Windsor's family ever, thanks to the Middletons!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sadly, I agree that William's parents were too engaged in battling their personal war against one another to invest themselves in the intense preparation of their heir for his future role...in the manner that Felipe/Letizia are in Spain, or Philippe/Mathilde in Belgium.

Diana apparently believed that insisting that he wait his turn in line at McDonald's was more important. And perhaps Charles felt that ensuring William's admission into prestigious institutions like Eton and St. Andrew's was adequate?

In any case, even though William got just enough, combined with his inherent level-headedness, dignity and sense of duty I have no doubt that he will make a good king.

George VI was not a dazzling intellect with loads of charisma and preparation for kingship. But like William he was an essentially decent man blessed with a devoted wife and happy home life.

Britain (and the world) were very fortunate to have had him on the throne when they did.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Sadly, I agree that William's parents were too engaged in battling their personal war against one another to invest themselves in the intense preparation of their heir for his future role...in the manner that Felipe/Letizia are in Spain, or Philippe/Mathilde in Belgium.

Diana apparently believed that insisting that he wait his turn in line at McDonald's was more important. And perhaps Charles felt that ensuring William's admission into prestigious institutions like Eton and St. Andrew's was adequate?
What does he need??? William will be king if he never went to school at all.. H'es the eldest son. That's all he needs to be. There is no need for him to have any particular sort of education, and "leanring to wait in turn at Mcdonalds" is a good preparation for learning to put others first, to do his duty and not snob it over other people....
Old 03-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

Eton and St Andrews are nothing to sniff at. Not to mention Sandhurst.

Let's not forget that Leonor is in different position to William. She's the next in line because her father is King, William's *grandmother* is Queen.

Diana died when William was 15, I really don't see what need there was for "intense prep" at that age when over 20 years later he's still in the same position. Trying to get him to be a regular kid who actually understands what normal people are like seems like good prep both for being a King and for being a decent person.

It seems that William and Kate have figured out what they need for themselves and fought to get it, as well as naturally taking on more and more responsibilities as the time for "moving up one" draws closer. A lot of that only comes with age and living life anyhow. The article points out what he and Charles and HM are doing to help him prep, including supporting him in what he feels is right for his family.

I think Leonor seems great but it's a different set of circumstances.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What does he need??? William will be king if he never went to school at all.. H'es the eldest son. That's all he needs to be. There is no need for him to have any particular sort of education, and "leanring to wait in turn at Mcdonalds" is a good preparation for learning to put others first, to do his duty and not snob it over other people....
Had William been born to be king in the 14th century, answerable to absolutely no one with only the accident of his birth in his favor I would agree with you.

As is the case, he will be king in a complex 21st century that will require a hell of a lot more than having a middle class wife and knowing what it's like to stand in line for fast food.

A cosmopolitan, diplomatic, multi lingual education is not necessarily essential for the type of king he will need to be.

But it wouldn't hurt.

Anyway.. as I pointed out in my comments, what he lacks in those qualities is made up for in his natural talents.

Perhaps you missed it.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-22-2021, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Had William been born to be king in the 14th century, answerable to absolutely no one with only the accident of his birth in his favor I would agree with you.

As is the case, he will be king in a complex 21st century that will require a hell of a lot more than having a middle class wife and knowing what it's like to stand in line for fast food.

A cosmopolitan, diplomatic, multi lingual education is not necessarily essential for the type of king he will need to be.

But it wouldn't hurt.

Anyway.. as I pointed out in my comments, what he lacks in those qualities is made up for in his natural talents.

Perhaps you missed it.
No, I dont think that he needs all this stuff. He'll be King. he will have advisers to advise him..
Old 03-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

As is usually the case Denville, we don't agree.

I do believe that he is emotionally/ psychologically prepared for what's ahead. I also believe that in some ways his parents failed him, Charles in particular since Diana tragically died in his adolescence.

But time will tell.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Majesty

What is likely to happen? He's not going to walk out like Harry... If the monarchy becomes less popular I think William would be oK with letting it go, he's not passionate about being king... The monarchy has a support system which assists the king or queen.... and a sensible monarch which I think William is, will lean on that system. They don't have to be diplomats or polymaths or special at anything..
Old 03-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Aristocracy

It would be great for William to know multiple languages, but I don't see how it's a need for the King of the U.K. He obviously knows English. It would be great if he knew Welsh, but it's a hard language. My father is nearly fluent in Welsh, and despite his best efforts, I can only recognize maybe 25 words, and only if I'm well-rested and luck is on my side.

Other monarchies stress languages because other countries have more than one official language (Belgium & Spain, for example), and because English is extremely useful as an extra language. Also some people are merely gifted at languages.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:

But it wouldn't hurt.

Perhaps you missed it.
While I do agree that a better education would not hurt him in any way, it's not like he won't be able to become king without it. This is a constitutional monarchy, they're there mostly for the ceremonial stuff, with some charity work on the side - because they have to do something.

And if you still disagree, one of the most beloved monarchs this country has seen not only ascended the throne when she was only (almost) 26, but also held her own with presidents, heads of states and diplomats with utmost grace, while having no formal education to speak of.

William will do just fine.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I appreciate your response, but if you had read my COMPLETE remarks you would see that you have, in essence, repeated most of what I stated.

And i used the example of the 26 old's father.

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particularly bright or talented is kind of an insult to the British people.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I appreciate your response, but if you had read my COMPLETE remarks you would see that you have, in essence, repeated most of what I stated.

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particularly bright or talented is kind of an insult to the British people.
Why so? Do you really think that monarchs are talented bright people? They are just ordinary people who happen to be born to a particular position.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

And there you have stated the exact position of anti-monarchy republicans across Europe and the Commonwealth.

Why pay exorbitant $$ to see an average, dull, provincial person live in a palace and wear a crown?

Why indeed.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
And there you have stated the position of anti-monarchy republicans across Europe and the Commonwealth.

Why pay exorbitant $$ to see an average, dull, provincial person live in a palace and wear a crown?

Why indeed.
Monarchies are not particularly "exorbitant"... and most monarchs are ordinary people who are hyped up a bit, and who are expected to do a decent job of representing their country.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particular smart or talented is kind of an insult to the English people.
I have read your COMPLETE remarks and they're missing the most important issue of all - the monarchy is hereditary. No matter if the future king has a stutter or is a complete, inbred idiot (not in William's case, but hey, it's not like it didn't happen), unless he abdicates he's gonna be king.

So my point is, if the younger daughter will be much smarter and much more talented, it's still her elder sibling that would become the monarch. That's how it works. No one can make sure their child will be smart and/or talented, as they're inborn traits. What we (since, last time I checked, I'm still English) need in a monarch is the understanding of their position and role, a certain level of decorum, and kindness to people in the UK and Commonwealth.

Besides, I would just like to mention that William already has two very important, diplomatic visits solo (to China and Israel) and one also important and complicated with his wife to Pakistan. So he can handle this part of the job. He is getting involved in the matters of Duchy of Cornwall, and in the matters of BRF as a whole.

A formal education is not a determinant of knowledge, maturity or wisdom. One of the most astonishingly stupid people I've ever met is my senior executive and he graduated Yale with honors.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

And all this is because I agreed with a poster a few posts back who stated that Charles and Diana did not concern themselves that much with preparing William for his position?

I did NOT say he will make a lousy monarch.

I did NOT say that he needs to speak four languages and be a scholar.

I did NOT say that an advanced degree is necessary.

However, I do feel that compared to his Royal contemporaries William comes off provincial and somewhat lacking.

However. I agree with everyone who believes that for the country of which he will be king, that is probably ok.

ETA: A college degree is indeed not a valid measure of intelligence or talent. Case in point... the very recent occupants of the Oval Office

Old 03-22-2021, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

But it wouldn't hurt.:
It’s interesting you say that because my thought would be that an intense education and training period would be much more useful for Kings in those earlier time periods when they were truly powerful and could make consequential decisions. None of the modern European monarchs have this ability - that power now rests with politicians. To me the most important thing a modern King or Queen can do is listen to the many, many experienced and knowledgeable people they have access to.

I can’t help thinking that the intense preparation some of the heirs get has an element of trying to show people they’re getting their money’s worth out of the monarchy. It also turns into a bit of a circular argument - look at all the education and training we’re giving this person so you can see the monarchy is worth keeping around becomes, (maybe, they hope), the monarchy must serve some very complicated and unique purpose because look at how much time and effort they’ve put into so and so’s education and training.

I like hearing about the different perspectives people have here. You all make me think!

I will say, in defence of Charles and Diana, (and McDonald’s), they did make sure William and Harry were used to being around the press and especially the public from very young ages. And not always in completely artificial ways. I think it served both boys well, and i expect they would have gotten more of this had Diana lived. In other ways I agree that Charles and Diana were too much wrapped up in their own drama and too little wrapped up in the day to day care of their sons.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Courtier

I think that William can (and will) be a good king even though he can only speak one langugage. Not a big deal.

But there is something else that confuses me. It seems to me like many of the next (and now current) generation of the royal families in Europe have a quite close bond. They get together both on official and unofficial occasions. They are a small group of people who share a unique experience, and I'm sure that it's very helpful to be able to discuss things with other people who can really understand where you're coming from.

There was - just as an example - a quite well known (here in Sweden) incident during the 2012 olympics in London. Prince Daniel and prince Carl Philip were sitting in the VIP section during a competition when William arrived. He obviously didn't even know who they were, even though the Swedish princes politely said hello.

Having other royals as trusted friends is a valuable thing, especially for the heirs. I really think that both William and Kate should put some effort in building those relationships.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What is likely to happen? He's not going to walk out like Harry... If the monarchy becomes less popular I think William would be oK with letting it go, he's not passionate about being king... The monarchy has a support system which assists the king or queen.... and a sensible monarch which I think William is, will lean on that system. They don't have to be diplomats or polymaths or special at anything..
If he would be actively contributing in one way or another to the abolishment of the monarchy, I hope you would agree that in that case he would be unsuitable for that position. Of course, that doesn't mean that he won't be king; but some people occupy positions they are not suitable for which at times has devastating results for a company or those around them (or in this case a system that has been in place for centuries).

So, yes, while he will be king whether he is suitable or not; a thorough preparation and putting duty/service to your people ahead of your own interests would surely be beneficial from my point of view.

In general, I would say that William has shown himself to be ready when the time comes... even though in some areas he could have benefitted from additional training.