The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2021, 09:57 AM
Courtier

It's one of the most interesting articles about William I've ever read. The man shining through that is stable, grounded, knowing his job and its limits and being able to accept that.

His method is not "hitting the ground running", but more a slow consideration and choosing the way with the best outcome - and one can't argue about how effective that is. He has a happy family life, his work is well-rounded and the pieces have been falling into the right places for years now.

An approach worthy of the future king.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:19 AM
Majesty

William is being prepared to be King and i'm sure he'll have made some decisions about what he's going to do when he's king.
William seems to be committed to his role in the monarchy and has the help of the Duchess of Cambridge.
William also has the good example of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:17 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure that both Charles and William will make wonderful kings when their turns come, but everything that's being said about training and preparation reminds me more and more of what a wonderful job the Queen's done, and is still doing. She didn't expect to be in the direct line of succession until she was 10, and then, from 13 to 19, she had some "training" and preparation but no-one was leading any sort of normal life at the time. And then she suddenly became Queen when she was only 25. And what a brilliant job she's done.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
It's one of the most interesting articles about William I've ever read. The man shining through that is stable, grounded, knowing his job and its limits and being able to accept that.

His method is not "hitting the ground running", but more a slow consideration and choosing the way with the best outcome - and one can't argue about how effective that is. He has a happy family life, his work is well-rounded and the pieces have been falling into the right places for years now.

An approach worthy of the future king.

Good sum up. William comes across as grounded, stable, thoughtful. He has his own ideas- and he will fight for them- but heís not impulsive or reckless either. A good approach IMO.

I wish I could have read the entire article, but I what I got to read was very good. I appreciate the original poster snipping out a large portion for us to read.

Williamís method has been very effective- clearly. And- frankly- he and Catherine are an excellent example of how you can do things in a way that works for you- and do things differently than those who came before you- and still work within the over-all system. (IOW- no where near as rigid as some would lead you to believe.)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I wish I could have read the entire article, but I what I got to read was very good. I appreciate the original poster snipping out a large portion for us to read.
Hi Erin, you can click on the link to the archived file for the full article if you can't access behind the paywall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
(It's a long article, but worth the read)

Archive file: https://archive.ph/iaDYk#selection-1119.0-1119.676
Old 03-21-2021, 12:03 PM
Courtier

What an odd topic. What makes the original poster think William is any less suitable to be king than his predecessors?
Old 03-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William's Suitability to be King

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Hi Erin, you can click on the link to the archived file for the full article if you can't access behind the paywall.

Thank you. I missed that when I originally read through the post.

The whole article was very good.

It really does demonstrate that William understands where he can push and do things his way- which has benefited himself and his family (his non royal jobs, slow ramp up into being a full time royal, etc) and what parts remain mostly as is (he gets that tradition, ceremony are important parts of it.). He seems very thoughtful.

I also liked reading how his approach to the media and its usefulness has matured.

His approach to politics seems sound too. He comes across as knowing where the line is.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Good sum up. William comes across as grounded, stable, thoughtful. He has his own ideas- and he will fight for them- but heís not impulsive or reckless either. A good approach IMO.

Williamís method has been very effective- clearly. And- frankly- he and Catherine are an excellent example of how you can do things in a way that works for you- and do things differently than those who came before you- and still work within the over-all system. (IOW- no where near as rigid as some would lead you to believe.)
You can read the whole thing in the archive, the link was posted above IMHO, it's very much worth it.

I agree - it's great that William has the wisdom to fight for what he wants slowly and surely, instead of blowing the whole thing up because he didn't get exactly what he wanted.

William and Catherine found their way. They were grounded enough to ignore the press calling them "lazy" or "work shy" for years, because they knew it's the best course for them and for their family. Now we reap the benefits of them having time to get comfortable with the press, with their roles, sharing their children with the public - and we have a wonderful king and queen in waiting.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:30 PM
Aristocracy

That was a very interesting article.

I agree that William's slow and steady approach is working. And I also admire that he appears willing to get things done behind the scenes to accomplish what he feels is best, rather than score easy victories in public. It appears he not only understands his current place in the hierarchy but also what his place will be in the larger history of the monarchy.

It's easy to forget that he may still have another 25 years before becoming King. It wasn't that long ago that the second in line wouldn't have been expected to do anything at all other than marry and have children.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
You can read the whole thing in the archive, the link was posted above IMHO, it's very much worth it.

I agree - it's great that William has the wisdom to fight for what he wants slowly and surely, instead of blowing the whole thing up because he didn't get exactly what he wanted.

William and Catherine found their way. They were grounded enough to ignore the press calling them "lazy" or "work shy" for years, because they knew it's the best course for them and for their family. Now we reap the benefits of them having time to get comfortable with the press, with their roles, sharing their children with the public - and we have a wonderful king and queen in waiting.

Thanks. I got to read the whole thing. :)

Exactly- he managed to do things differently without blowing the whole thing up. No one ever gets exactly what they want, how they want it, when they want it. No one. Doesnít matter what your job or life is. But there are ways to make things different, forge a new path, without leaving the forest and being happy and content with the results.

The ability to ignore nasty press and not let it dominate/dictate their lives and just push through is one of their assets for sure. I think I remember William commenting that he has some awareness of what is being said (ie- he certainly needs to have some awareness of general opinion given that he/the monarchy needs public support- or in the case of the racism issue- he has to know about it), but he doesnít allow it to dictate his life either. It sounds like a healthy balance. Respond where needed- block out tabloid garbage.

IA with the poster who said THIS is how you do good PR. Indeed.

And you know what? The message fits just what has and is playing out. Thatís the kind of PR you want IMO.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Fantastic article. It gives a lot of insight to the sort of king he hopes to be but even more into the man he currently is, not to mention confirming what we all have suspected regarding his true opinion of Sussexit.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Excellent article. It really encapsulates who William is. How he thinks and how he formulates getting things done and how he perceives himself in the grand scheme of things called life. One description of William kept floating through my mind as I read more and more of this article. It's actually been said before about a man, and an American man at that, but for me, it fits William. He speaks softly but carries a big stick.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Excellent article. It really encapsulates who William is. How he thinks and how he formulates getting things done and how he perceives himself in the grand scheme of things called life. One description of William kept floating through my mind as I read more and more of this article. It's actually been said before about a man, and an American man at that, but for me, it fits William. He speaks softly but carries a big stick.
Although the actual man always shouted and usually carried a gun. Will won't do anyone any favors if he dies at 60, anyway. He can be a little less manic and imperious than TR and still be a good king.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Although the actual man always shouted and usually carried a gun. Will won't do anyone any favors if he dies at 60, anyway. He can be a little less manic and imperious than TR and still be a good king.
That's the kicker. As a person, Wills can get furious and passionate and he *does* go on shoots much like TR. The speaking softly part, for me, comes from his learning diplomacy and tact and the big stick is his experience out in the *real* world and knowing and interacting with "the people" and having the platform and the ways and the means to enact a difference slowly and steadily.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, I too have good hopes for William as king.

I believe he will be much more relatable to the average Briton/Canadian/Australian etc. It will also be a much more warm public image of the BRF that we will see.
Not only because he is well prepared, experienced and has had a long transition period, but because his foundation is solid. That is he has a stable marriage with time to genuinely getting to know and bond with his children. The marriage to a middle class woman, who is a part of a stable family with middle class values, has given him an insight older members of the BRF haven't got to nearly the same extent.
In other words: William's family is middle class, while the families of most of the older members of the BRF are aristocratic. With different family values and different ways of being a parent.

So when William becomes king, I think we will see the BRF turning more "continental" and much less aloof.
After a period people will like this new image, of that I'm sure.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Nobility

Thank you Yukari, very interesting
Old 03-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Royal Highness

Very good article. "PR done right" is correct. Interesting, thoughtful and not entirely blowing smoke up anywhere. You feel like you get some actual insight into a man trying to carve out his place in the system through some trial and error. They also did him a favour with the choice of photo. They also acknowledge the balancing act with the kids and easing them into unofficially official and PR things slowly.

I was one of the people who thought they were a bit "workshy", I knew why they wanted the time but I thought they could still do more but it has worked out very well for them and their family. And I can certainly see that you need to see for yourself what you'd actually good at and can contribute beyond "ribbon cutting". Interesting that he really had to fight for it and aides thought he might get bored with being a "middle class" guy. IT also shows that some courtiers have very set views of things without totally throwing them under the bus either.

It's also a good use of "authorised friends". Explaining their view on William and his strengths and vision without putting anyone else down and skating lightly over the Sussex elephant in the room right now whilst acknowledging it's not going to be easy.

I'd forgotten he spent some time at MI6 and GCHQ. My personal lightbulb moment with him was when he handled Israel, Palestine and Jordan in three days without putting a foot wrong. I know he had a lot of help and he was a ceremonial player not a negotiator but if he'd made a mistake it could have been disastrous.

It will be interesting to hear Roya Nikkah talk about it in the podcast in a few days.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Majesty

I was very suspicious of William when he was younger because he didn't look terribly bright and his formal education was lacking somewhat. I also had doubts about his emotional stability given his family history.

Now, I see him prety much following in his grandmother's footsteps and becoming a very discreet, but popular royal who is mindful of his constitutional position and of what is expected of him or not. I actually now see him as likely to become a better monarch than his father. Charles' reign will be rocky, even though Charles is theoretically more experienced than William.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Majesty

I think William is going to be a good king, and he's preparing well. He seems to be following in his grandmother's footsteps, is discreet and hardworking. I think William sees his grandmother as an example to follow.
William and Catherine are making a good pair and are going to be good kings when that day comes.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm sure that both Charles and William will make wonderful kings when their turns come, but everything that's being said about training and preparation reminds me more and more of what a wonderful job the Queen's done, and is still doing. She didn't expect to be in the direct line of succession until she was 10, and then, from 13 to 19, she had some "training" and preparation but no-one was leading any sort of normal life at the time. And then she suddenly became Queen when she was only 25. And what a brilliant job she's done.
I think the current emphasis on training and formal preparation for future monarchs is overrated, (and tends to be more emphasized in some of the non-UK European monarchies). You donít need to speak seven languages, have an elite secondary school education, an elite university education, elite graduate school training, training abroad, training at home, and so on down a long list of boxes to tick to be an effective modern monarch. An average person who has been given a solid foundation in several key areas can do just fine. QEII is an example of this - she learned on the job and rarely put a foot wrong even though society has undergone such rapid changes during her reign. Weíve also seen that people from very different educational and cultural backgrounds can become effective consorts with relatively little preparation. Being the consort isnít the same as being the reigning King or Queen, but the skill sets needed are very similar.

I think Williamís work as a helicopter pilot and especially with the air ambulance was immensely valuable ďtrainingĒ in that it allowed him to relate to different sorts of people in as natural a manner as possible. It was also physically and emotionally demanding work with real consequences if he didnít measure up. There was nothing artificial or contrived about the challenges he faced. The fact that he signed up for a job that involved regular exposure to very stressful, sometimes tragic situations, and did it well says a lot about his character and maturity.

I do like the fact that William is using this time to make thoughtful choices about all aspects of his life. He recognizes that heís in this for the long haul and is therefore taking care with how he puts things together. Again, that speaks to maturity rather than to training or preparation. I think if he were to become King tomorrow heíd do a good job, but heís lucky that he has the luxury of time in a way that his grandmother didnít.