The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yes, that is good but I would not be surprised if William does not have any political views (or religious views) like most of our generation. Plus, being interested in politics requires a certain level of intellectual curiosity that William seemingly does not possess.
I think he should have his political opinions, but he will never make them public and good.
Even Prince Harry has his political views, even it was said that he disliked Donald Trump for example.
As for William he will never say what his political convictions are, because he is called to one day be king and so has to be neutral in that respect, but I think he has this intellectual curiosity, he seems to me to be an intelligent and even cultured person.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think he should have his political opinions, but he will never make them public and good.
Even Prince Harry has his political views, even it was said that he disliked Donald Trump for example.
As for William he will never say what his political convictions are, because he is called to one day be king and so has to be neutral in that respect, but I think he has this intellectual curiosity, he seems to me to be an intelligent and even cultured person.
Harry's dislike for Donald Trump is probably because he was 1) close to the Obama's and 2) Meghan's political views.

Let's agree to disagree about William's intelligence and intellectual curiosity

Old 05-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince William's Suitability to be King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Plus, being interested in politics requires a certain level of intellectual curiosity that William seemingly does not possess.

Frankly, William is doing his job as a member of the royal family absolutely perfectly, if we believe that he has no interest in politics. That is after all the point of being apolitical. What opinions William has at home, we will never know.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:17 PM
Courtier

I'm sure he has plenty of opinions on politics, but he knows not to voice them publicly.

Not voicing your political opinions doesn't show a lack of intellectual curiosity: it just shows an awareness of what is and isn't appropriate in certain circumstances. I wish more people would do that - some people seemed determined to turn discussions about books, music, sport, TV programmes and anything else into a political debate! There's a time and a place. In the case of Royalty, that's in private only.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Alison H...I agree 100% Royalty is to head the entire country consisting of all political views, religions and races. To make their favorite publicly known would be disrespecting many of their citizens and taxpayers. William's private opinions should be kept exactly that, private. Bravo to him for following that rule. JMO
Old 05-03-2020, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Of course he has political, social and religious opinions, he can't hold phone meetings with the PM and not have opinions on what's going on. We just aren't aware of what they are, which is important in a future apolitical monarch.

We do know that the Queen and Prince Charles are religious and that William at least is continuing to publicly accept positions that begin to prepare him for being Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Some social issues close to his and Kate's hearts can be seen in the work of their foundation - especially mental health and speaking at Davos etc.

No one accuses most of the Windsors of being particularly academic but all of them have opinions.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 AM
Aristocracy

Just because one head of state has peculiar proclivity to voice his thought to the whole world via social media, it doesn't mean other (even a head of state to-be) have to do the same.

Just because someone doesn't say much or show much, we can't judge that he doesn't have much either. Take Rowan Atkinson for example, we know him as Mr Bean and laugh at his antic and his cute car. But behind that facade, in reality he has MSc degree in electrical engineering from Oxford and know a lot car not to mention a very good driver himself (just watch his time in Brits' Top Gear).

Same with William. Just because he never show off much, doesn't he have nothing in his head. He met so many politician and head of state, attended several state dinner and banquets, I don't think he only talked about weather the whole time.
And yes, he said he had no clue of what Stephen Fry said when he spoke French in the last sketch but did he say the truth or only joking? Is there any proof that he really doesn't understand French or any other non-English language (understanding a language doesn't always come with speaking it well)?

In my opinion, for a second in line to the throne he did a good job so far.

When the time comes, he'll be king and time will tell whether he'll be a good king or not (so far, I think he will. I learnt that we tend to underestimate the quiet one which he is).
Old 05-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Royal Highness

The sketch with Stephan Fry was an act, I think. William really isn't that clueless.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Of course he has political, social and religious opinions, he can't hold phone meetings with the PM and not have opinions on what's going on. We just aren't aware of what they are, which is important in a future apolitical monarch.

We do know that the Queen and Prince Charles are religious and that William at least is continuing to publicly accept positions that begin to prepare him for being Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Some social issues close to his and Kate's hearts can be seen in the work of their foundation - especially mental health and speaking at Davos etc.

No one accuses most of the Windsors of being particularly academic but all of them have opinions.
Its quite possible that he doesn't have opinions. He may feel that politics and politicans are all very much of a muchness and leave the politics to tehm. But I agree that its a good thing that he does keep his opinions if he has any to himself. im sure he has ideas about varous things, but I suspect William is inclined to keep to the practical side of life and confine his ideas and opinions to subjects he has some practical experience of. Such as mental health issues, farming etc. But in public he is wise to keep his mouth shut
Old 05-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its quite possible that he doesn't have opinions. He may feel that politics and politicans are all very much of a muchness and leave the politics to tehm. But I agree that its a good thing that he does keep his opinions if he has any to himself. im sure he has ideas about varous things, but I suspect William is inclined to keep to the practical side of life and confine his ideas and opinions to subjects he has some practical experience of. Such as mental health issues, farming etc. But in public he is wise to keep his mouth shut
You can argue that that is the sign of true wisdom.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You can argue that that is the sign of true wisdom.
Its more or less what's expected of a king. Charles has gone differently and possibly William has seen that his father has been crticised for expressing his opinions and having so many ideas.. and has preferred NOT to do so. SInce neither he nor Charles are the king yet, they have some wiggle room.. Charles can still be a bit controversial without totally over stepping the boundaries..but it is a delicate balancing act...
Old 05-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm sure he has plenty of opinions on politics, but he knows not to voice them publicly.

Not voicing your political opinions doesn't show a lack of intellectual curiosity: it just shows an awareness of what is and isn't appropriate in certain circumstances. I wish more people would do that - some people seemed determined to turn discussions about books, music, sport, TV programmes and anything else into a political debate! There's a time and a place. In the case of Royalty, that's in private only.
I agree. Charles has also been criticised for being too political in the past, especially when it comes to the environment, so that might also be a reason why his sons have been more quiet on their political POVs.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its more or less what's expected of a king...but it is a delicate balancing act...
And - and I think, that is important, a Monarch (be it the Queen, be it already one of the Princes, what includes Prince William) has all the advantages the press has, exept the "right" to lie.

These advantages are: a) gate keeping and b) agenda setting

a) The Monarch has this much authority, s/he can determine in a big way the outcome of a political discussion. And the Monarch does not even have to talk openly!

b) The Monarch has this much authority, s/he can determine in a big way about "what" will be discussed and how.

Example for a): Imagine the Monarch just having a breakfast in a restaurant, which was the day before visited by a certain politician! What would everybody think?

Example for b): The Queen has openly claimed, that "diversity is indeed a strength", but she has not visited Rotherham after the "things", which happened there. Now imagine this the other way around!

Explanation: I would as a policy advisor neither recommend a) or b)! But a Monarch does not have to hold big speeches, like some professional political adventurer. A little wink here and there...

Remembers anybody the EU-hat of the Queen? It was explained by her stylist as a "coincidence"...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...queens-dresser

But it was quite a "coincidence"! So, Her Majesty can make some folks nervous with a hat. It did not stop the Brexit, though, that is, why I would as a political advisor not recommend such behaviour, but still imagine something like a) or b)!

In playing public emotions, one has to be more like a professional surfer and try to use every single of all the different waves to reach the long-term goal of the championship... The Monarch on the other hand is already "champion". But sometimes one has to go to action! And the Monarch can do this - big time!

Hopefully William will rule over a calm and peaceful and not an "interesting" time!