Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, but I just saw this topic and had to post.

Prince William graduated from The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst which teaches courses on International Relations, Leadership, etc. He will, as others have stated, receive training from Queen Elizabeth as well as the many staffers employed between, BP and Clarence House, for this exact purpose as well. In any case, as a British monarch, it will not be desired for him speak on political or legal matters when meeting with other presidents, PMs, etc. as that is not the British monarch's place in the government. In addition, his degree in Geography and Catherine's degree in Art History, plus their considerable charity work, travel experience, and network of acquaintances all provide a solid foundation for a future on the throne.

This is why he'll never be a suitable King. Never mind that actually thousands of people have a better claim to the Throne than his family has, he just doesn't seem to have the true character needed to take on the task. Really self-centred and lazy, it's all about partying and drinking with Kate and his friends. She's as bad as he is.

Also, paying for vacation after vacation, whilsts REAL service people don't have that privilege is an outrage. No wonder they both have such a work-shy image.
But you'll never hear the big bad media talk about it, REALLY. :bang:
Could you please explain who these thousands of people are???:ohmy:
Maybe I'm one of them!!!:lol:
AS far as his work shy image, he is working FT as a search and rescue pilot.
He is second in line to inherit the throne, ie then the emphasis should rightly be on Charles and Camilla (eeerrrggg).
As far as Catherine being a stay at home housewife, I think thats fine for now, after everything that happened with Diana, for Catherine to have a few years to get use to royal life and duties is a good thing. IMHO.:flowers:

Honestly, I don't know what people want from William (or people in his position in regards to social status and wealth).

They want him to act like he is not better than anyone but than you get cries that he is not normal and is just "playing" at life. He goes to University and we hear cries of it being a waste, since when is educating yourself a waste, he picks Geography as a major and its a joke, but if he does law, or business....he couldn't have possibly don't it on his own merits...or he is taking someone's (who is apparently more worthy) place. He goes clubbing (like a lot of people his age...psst...don't tell anyone but Zonk used to do the club scene as well) and all of sudden all he does is party. He doesn't go clubbing, because he has matured and has been there, done that, have the t shirt, and people are still talking about stuff he did years ago!

And on the basis of this, we are going to say he is unsuitable to be King. Why are we judging him on stuff he did as a college student? He went to Sandhurst, works a demanding job, that itsn't normal 8 to 5, so whose to say he can't vacation?

I wonder if the Monarchy of Great Britain has a job description?
I imagine, if it exists, it would be discussed from time to time with family members and other trusted Monarch relatives.
Edited every year to adapt to the changes in society.. not high society but society as in the world community, it would probably be a very valuable historic document. Perhaps William and Harry have studied it, if it exists.
Not much chance in us ever reading it I suppose.

Disappointed with the short show up of the Cambridges during the Official Visit of the President of the United States.

The British practice is to only have working royals attend these events. William will have years of doing this so being allowed a few more years off isn't a bad thing.

The other reason why they weren't there is that they would overshadow the Queen and that isn't allowed to happen.

They will be married for a few years yet before really appearing at these events.

He seems to have matured over the years.Though deep down he seemed very serious about his future even when he was a kid.

How so?
The main protagonists were the Queen, Philip, and the Obamas.

It made sense to briefly include Wills and Kate because they will be making a Royal Tour of America (not a holiday!) in the very near future, and they will be meeting thousands of Americans.....

Charles ineligible for King?

I may be wrong, but isn't Charles ineligible to become King because he is divorced?

If this is the case, then the Queen would have no choice but to either abdicate the throne to William, or wait until she passes and he would be next in line.

Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

Charles is not ineligible to become King because he has been divorced. When his mother passes, he will be King.

I may be wrong, but isn't Charles ineligible to become King because he is divorced?

If this is the case, then the Queen would have no choice but to either abdicate the throne to William, or wait until she passes and he would be next in line.

Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

This is not true.

There has never been a bar on a divorced person being the monarch (or the spouse of the monarch for that matter). I know that many people point to Edward VIII but that was matter of social acceptability and the church's attitude rather than a legal problem.

The CoE has since then become more accepting of divorce.

Charles will be King as long as he outlives his mother and William will have to wait until both the Queen and Charles are dead as neither will abdicate - they have too much understanding of duty to do that.

William IMHO has been the center of attention for Royal advisors from birth as he was born the heir apparent of the Heir Apparent. So surely any decision concerning his future was made with a lot of input from people whose sole interest is in the monarchy and not in him as a person. He did not fail any of them - whatever was asked of him he gave and was successful with it. He was good enough in school to be allowed entry to the university, he sucessfully finsihed his studies with a degree, he entered the military and has been an able cadet so was promoted to officer, he started to learn to fly and is now a professional SAR pilot.

Of course after growing-up he was the one to decide (see Harry who did not want to enter university) but surely he was advised on every step of his life. Even his marriage had to be sanctioned by his grandmother in council with official permission granted in writ. So how can he be lacking when he succeeded in everything?

As for his personality: his choice of profession tells a lot as does his choice of bride: well thought through and to the point (IMHO).

So what's wrong with this young man? If he was my son, I would be proud of him. That he is a future king tells a lot about the system of the monarchy, not about William the man. Considering the fact that being king is an inherited position, William is suitable because of who he was born to (first son of the first son of the souverain). Will he be a good king? Judging from his life so far, I think he will be.

Disappointed with the short show up of the Cambridge's during the Official Visit of the President of the United States.
If the information is correct, the only reason the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were present and introduced to the President and his wife is that they had brought with them a wedding gift of the prescribed "Charity" kind and the Cambridge's were therefore required to at least meet and graciously thank them.

A slight kink on their scheduled return from honeymoon and straight back to work but diplomacy dictates manners and they did what was required and continued on to their home and new life together as planned.

In my post above, I suggested that, since the Obamas were still in Britain, they could all meet, seeing as they would be getting to know each other in the not too distant future when W&K start their American Tour.

If the information is correct, the only reason the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were present and introduced to the President and his wife is that they had brought with them a wedding gift of the prescribed "Charity" kind and the Cambridge's were therefore required to at least meet and graciously thank them.

A slight kink on their scheduled return from honeymoon and straight back to work but diplomacy dictates manners and they did what was required and continued on to their home and new life together as planned.

Obviously, I'm not privy to how schedules are put together for these things but I suspect that the Obama's really wanted to meet them. I remember reading that Mrs. Obama mentioned on TV that if they were invited to the wedding, they would go. That was a pretty bold statement. It may be that this is all the time that could be allotted between appointments for the Obamas.

William will have plenty of opportunity to show his suitability for kingship on his Tour of America.

As mentioned before, the question of "Francophonie" raises its head - the couple will have to tackle the French language - after all, there are several Francophone areas, including Québec, Montréal, Louisiane, Acadie .......

Let's hope Kate will also get some training, not just for French language, etiquette etc., but also in showing respect to the other, very diverse, areas and people she will encounter.

I wish them well.

Obviously, I'm not privy to how schedules are put together for these things but I suspect that the Obama's really wanted to meet them. I remember reading that Mrs. Obama mentioned on TV that if they were invited to the wedding, they would go. That was a pretty bold statement. It may be that this is all the time that could be allotted between appointments for the Obamas.

As I recall the ONLY reason Mrs. Obama made that statement was because she was asked. It would be difficult for anyone asked that question to say that if they were invited they would NOT go. As we all know the press has a way of setting people up with a question they have to answer and then making it look as though they offered the comment without having been asked the question. It's kind of like some of the misleading headlines, it's only after you get into the body of statement do you find out how it all came about.

Actually will they be welcomed by the Obamas? I can imagine it will be the California Governor. Is that still Schwarzenegger? Maybe not....

William is going to be a game changer, I think, when he ascends the throne - if he ascends the throne. He grew up in the swirl of scandal and has watched his father denigrated. I do not think he is keen on the position. That's not to say he won't 'do his duty' if the monarchy still exists - but it seems to me that with cousins like the children of Princess Anne to influence him, and a mother who trained him away from royalty, he is making the choice for a private life over a royal life. His priorities are different from other generations - and its likely a healthy thing, all in all.

I recall a quote from Queen Elizabeth where she referred to the European monarchies as 'bicycle monarchies'. A bit arch, that, but it may be that that is exactly what William will turn the monarchy into, what it must become to 'survive' - a more modern, streamlined, less encumbered 'event'. William will wean the public away from monarchy as pageantry and reduce the expectations attendant.

In the end, Charles may be the last of the old guard, the old world, of all the pomp and pageantry - the last to see being monarch as his 'job' and his overarching duty to which he subordinates all else.

In my post above, I suggested that, since the Obamas were still in Britain, they could all meet, seeing as they would be getting to know each other in the not too distant future when W&K start their American Tour.

There was no earthly reason for William and Kate to spend time with the Obamas during their state visit to the UK other than the brief meeting when they were presented with the wedding gift for their charity. Although they are visiting the US they will only be here a few days, and not in an official capacity where they would be representing the Queen.

If William and Kate wanted to spend time with the Obamas, they would have made a point to include Washington DC in their itinerary. It certainly wouldn't go over well to have the President and First Lady fly out to California on our dime to attend a glitzy "who is who" party hosted by Hollywood elite.

Actually will they be welcomed by the Obamas? I can imagine it will be the California Governor. Is that still Schwarzenegger? Maybe not....

I think this is posted somewhere else but from what I've heard... Schwarzenegger is "out" as far as doing any hosting is concerned due to the illegitimate child and divorce scandal.

I do not think he is keen on the position. That's not to say he won't 'do his duty' if the monarchy still exists - but it seems to me that with cousins like the children of Princess Anne to influence him, and a mother who trained him away from royalty, he is making the choice for a private life over a royal life.

I think part of it is that William realizes that given the long lives of the members of his family, he may not ascend the throne for more than 40 years. He has watched his father struggle for meaning, and William seems like a man of purpose. He doesn't want his life to lack meaning. At the moment he is only the heir to the heir. As long as he is in that position, I can see him fighting to stay in the RAF, a job which he considers purposeful and a meaningful contribution. When he is the heir, his role will change, and I think he will accept it and succeed.

I think part of it is that William realizes that given the long lives of the members of his family, he may not ascend the throne for more than 40 years. He has watched his father struggle for meaning, and William seems like a man of purpose. He doesn't want his life to lack meaning. At the moment he is only the heir to the heir. As long as he is in that position, I can see him fighting to stay in the RAF, a job which he considers purposeful and a meaningful contribution. When he is the heir, his role will change, and I think he will accept it and succeed.

I think you have said beautifully. William appears to be a man who knows himself and what he wants to do and be like. He is in a profession that he finds meaningful and enjoyable (a heard feat, since even the best job can become tedious and a chore), and he does a great deal of charity work, which provides meaning as well. I think he's more than suitable to be a monarch, and when the time comes, he will do his family very proud.

Charles has "struggled for meaning" but he has largely carved out his own "niche".
I believe that William is a different character type, and he takes after Diana. No "struggling" for him...

His interests include being President of the Football Association !

Charles has "struggled for meaning" but he has largely carved out his own "niche".
I believe that William is a different character type, and he takes after Diana. No "struggling" for him...

His interests include being President of the Football Association !

:previous:

How does William take after Diana? I think William is more like his father than his mother...

I think we should remember that traditionally, males do not live as long as females and this tends to be world wide and for many different reasons.

I personally think it is quite possible that Prince Charles will predecease his mother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother buried a child, Princess Margaret did not live to be quite old.

If this is the case, I think Prince William may become the Prince of Wales and reside in that designation for a relatively short period of time before becoming King.

Now that I wish for any of the above to happen, but I do think it is quite possible. I honestly don't think that Prince William wants to be King all that much. I think he would be very happy to have a normal life and if he does become King, I think he may well change the role of the Monarch in British society forever.

He will become King, I have no doubt about it. He has grown up knowing that he is supposed to be King one day, he should know by now that the normal life he might crave is never going to come to pass unless something major occurs. I don't see him changing anything drastic when he becomes Monarch after his father, his great grandfather and grandmother have shaped the monarchy to what it is today, to change it to anything different would ruin the fantastic work they've done.

I have this funny theory that all the influences on future monarchs in some way or another have come from the grandparents as opposed to the parents. When the current Queen was young she was strongly influenced behaviorally by her grandmother Queen Mary, Prince Charles is extravagent like the Queen Mother was, Prince William has in the past spent a great deal of time with his grandparents the Queen and Prince Philip when he was at Eaton very close to Windsor. I think Prince William is simple and steadfast like the Queen and shares a passion for military history with Prince Philip (if I remember right). It is just an idea and perhaps needs more thought put to it.

I have this funny theory that all the influences on future monarchs in some way or another have come from the grandparents as opposed to the parents. When the current Queen was young she was strongly influenced behaviorally by her grandmother Queen Mary, Prince Charles is extravagent like the Queen Mother was, Prince William has in the past spent a great deal of time with his grandparents the Queen and Prince Philip when he was at Eaton very close to Windsor. I think Prince William is simple and steadfast like the Queen and shares a passion for military history with Prince Philip (if I remember right). It is just an idea and perhaps needs more thought put to it.

I don't find the idea strange at all. Here in the Netherlands we have something similar - the way Queen Beatrix reigns is supposedly comparable with the way of her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina, and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander has said that he wants to follow his grandmother, Queen Juliana's, way.

If Charles dies before the Queen, then William would not be the Prince of Wales. That is reserved for the eldest son of the Monarch. He would bw Duke of Cornwal though.

If Charles dies before the Queen, then William would not be the Prince of Wales. That is reserved for the eldest son of the Monarch. He would bw Duke of Cornwal though.

You got it reversed. The title of Duke of Cornwall is reserved for the eldest son of the monarch. The title of Prince of Wales is for the Heir Apparent who can be the direct line grandson of the souverain.

Back
Top Bottom