Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't need to speak seven languages, but you do need fluent English. William just happens to have had that from life, rather than education. Considering how long multiple languages have been a feature of royalty, it's a bit sad that William isn't able to do it.

But will it affect how he reigns or any of his work? Probably not. (Yet they still seem to be making an intensive effort to have his kids learn Spanish, if grapevine is correct, so he seems to realize this still matters.)

There's more than one way to be a good monarch. The European way seems far more formalized, for whatever reason.

You don't need to speak seven languages, but you do need fluent English. William just happens to have had that from life, rather than education. Considering how long multiple languages have been a feature of royalty, it's a bit sad that William isn't able to do it.

But will it affect how he reigns or any of his work? Probably not. (Yet they still seem to be making an intensive effort to have his kids learn Spanish, if grapevine is correct, so he seems to realize this still matters.)

There's more than one way to be a good monarch. The European way seems far more formalized, for whatever reason.

But it shows how apparently little efforts were made on his eduaction, did Diana or Charles spend a lot of thoughts about his upbringing and what did those who were in charge miss? C&D spend a great amount of their time dealing with their personal problems, affairs and whatsoever.
H&M are on the best way to fail aswell as H's parents did., especially because of missing the maturity to make a goodjob aswell as mental health problems and dealing with evrything else but the important stuff.
I am glad to see how W&K have chosen to give it a great if not the biggest priority in their life how to bring up their children. (not only considering a second language of course). I am sure George's generation will make a big difference and hopefully be one of the happiest in the Windsor's family ever, thanks to the Middletons!

:previous: Sadly, I agree that William's parents were too engaged in battling their personal war against one another to invest themselves in the intense preparation of their heir for his future role...in the manner that Felipe/Letizia are in Spain, or Philippe/Mathilde in Belgium.

Diana apparently believed that insisting that he wait his turn in line at McDonald's was more important. And perhaps Charles felt that ensuring William's admission into prestigious institutions like Eton and St. Andrew's was adequate?

In any case, even though William got just enough, combined with his inherent level-headedness, dignity and sense of duty I have no doubt that he will make a good king.

George VI was not a dazzling intellect with loads of charisma and preparation for kingship. But like William he was an essentially decent man blessed with a devoted wife and happy home life.

Britain (and the world) were very fortunate to have had him on the throne when they did.

Last edited:
:previous: Sadly, I agree that William's parents were too engaged in battling their personal war against one another to invest themselves in the intense preparation of their heir for his future role...in the manner that Felipe/Letizia are in Spain, or Philippe/Mathilde in Belgium.

Diana apparently believed that insisting that he wait his turn in line at McDonald's was more important. And perhaps Charles felt that ensuring William's admission into prestigious institutions like Eton and St. Andrew's was adequate?

What does he need??? William will be king if he never went to school at all.. H'es the eldest son. That's all he needs to be. There is no need for him to have any particular sort of education, and "leanring to wait in turn at Mcdonalds" is a good preparation for learning to put others first, to do his duty and not snob it over other people....

Eton and St Andrews are nothing to sniff at. Not to mention Sandhurst.

Let's not forget that Leonor is in different position to William. She's the next in line because her father is King, William's *grandmother* is Queen.

Diana died when William was 15, I really don't see what need there was for "intense prep" at that age when over 20 years later he's still in the same position. Trying to get him to be a regular kid who actually understands what normal people are like seems like good prep both for being a King and for being a decent person.

It seems that William and Kate have figured out what they need for themselves and fought to get it, as well as naturally taking on more and more responsibilities as the time for "moving up one" draws closer. A lot of that only comes with age and living life anyhow. The article points out what he and Charles and HM are doing to help him prep, including supporting him in what he feels is right for his family.

I think Leonor seems great but it's a different set of circumstances.

Last edited:
What does he need??? William will be king if he never went to school at all.. H'es the eldest son. That's all he needs to be. There is no need for him to have any particular sort of education, and "leanring to wait in turn at Mcdonalds" is a good preparation for learning to put others first, to do his duty and not snob it over other people....

Had William been born to be king in the 14th century, answerable to absolutely no one with only the accident of his birth in his favor I would agree with you.

As is the case, he will be king in a complex 21st century that will require a hell of a lot more than having a middle class wife and knowing what it's like to stand in line for fast food.

A cosmopolitan, diplomatic, multi lingual education is not necessarily essential for the type of king he will need to be.

But it wouldn't hurt.

Anyway.. as I pointed out in my comments, what he lacks in those qualities is made up for in his natural talents.

Perhaps you missed it.:cool:

Had William been born to be king in the 14th century, answerable to absolutely no one with only the accident of his birth in his favor I would agree with you.

As is the case, he will be king in a complex 21st century that will require a hell of a lot more than having a middle class wife and knowing what it's like to stand in line for fast food.

A cosmopolitan, diplomatic, multi lingual education is not necessarily essential for the type of king he will need to be.

But it wouldn't hurt.

Anyway.. as I pointed out in my comments, what he lacks in those qualities is made up for in his natural talents.

No, I dont think that he needs all this stuff. He'll be King. he will have advisers to advise him..

:previous: As is usually the case Denville, we don't agree.

I do believe that he is emotionally/ psychologically prepared for what's ahead. I also believe that in some ways his parents failed him, Charles in particular since Diana tragically died in his adolescence.

But time will tell.

What is likely to happen? He's not going to walk out like Harry... If the monarchy becomes less popular I think William would be oK with letting it go, he's not passionate about being king... The monarchy has a support system which assists the king or queen.... and a sensible monarch which I think William is, will lean on that system. They don't have to be diplomats or polymaths or special at anything..

It would be great for William to know multiple languages, but I don't see how it's a need for the King of the U.K. He obviously knows English. It would be great if he knew Welsh, but it's a hard language. My father is nearly fluent in Welsh, and despite his best efforts, I can only recognize maybe 25 words, and only if I'm well-rested and luck is on my side.

Other monarchies stress languages because other countries have more than one official language (Belgium & Spain, for example), and because English is extremely useful as an extra language. Also some people are merely gifted at languages.

But it wouldn't hurt.

While I do agree that a better education would not hurt him in any way, it's not like he won't be able to become king without it. This is a constitutional monarchy, they're there mostly for the ceremonial stuff, with some charity work on the side - because they have to do something.

And if you still disagree, one of the most beloved monarchs this country has seen not only ascended the throne when she was only (almost) 26, but also held her own with presidents, heads of states and diplomats with utmost grace, while having no formal education to speak of.

William will do just fine.

:previous: I appreciate your response, but if you had read my COMPLETE remarks you would see that you have, in essence, repeated most of what I stated.

And i used the example of the 26 old's father.

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particularly bright or talented is kind of an insult to the British people.:sad:

Last edited:
:previous: I appreciate your response, but if you had read my COMPLETE remarks you would see that you have, in essence, repeated most of what I stated.

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particularly bright or talented is kind of an insult to the British people.:sad:

Why so? Do you really think that monarchs are talented bright people? They are just ordinary people who happen to be born to a particular position.

:previous: And there you have stated the exact position of anti-monarchy republicans across Europe and the Commonwealth.

Why pay exorbitant $$ to see an average, dull, provincial person live in a palace and wear a crown?

Why indeed.

:previous: And there you have stated the position of anti-monarchy republicans across Europe and the Commonwealth.

Why pay exorbitant $$ to see an average, dull, provincial person live in a palace and wear a crown?

Why indeed.

Monarchies are not particularly "exorbitant"... and most monarchs are ordinary people who are hyped up a bit, and who are expected to do a decent job of representing their country.

And sorry. Observing that the king/queen of England need not be particular smart or talented is kind of an insult to the English people.:sad:
I have read your COMPLETE remarks and they're missing the most important issue of all - the monarchy is hereditary. No matter if the future king has a stutter or is a complete, inbred idiot (not in William's case, but hey, it's not like it didn't happen), unless he abdicates he's gonna be king.

So my point is, if the younger daughter will be much smarter and much more talented, it's still her elder sibling that would become the monarch. That's how it works. No one can make sure their child will be smart and/or talented, as they're inborn traits. What we (since, last time I checked, I'm still English) need in a monarch is the understanding of their position and role, a certain level of decorum, and kindness to people in the UK and Commonwealth.

Besides, I would just like to mention that William already has two very important, diplomatic visits solo (to China and Israel) and one also important and complicated with his wife to Pakistan. So he can handle this part of the job. He is getting involved in the matters of Duchy of Cornwall, and in the matters of BRF as a whole.

A formal education is not a determinant of knowledge, maturity or wisdom. One of the most astonishingly stupid people I've ever met is my senior executive and he graduated Yale with honors.

And all this is because I agreed with a poster a few posts back who stated that Charles and Diana did not concern themselves that much with preparing William for his position?

I did NOT say he will make a lousy monarch.

I did NOT say that he needs to speak four languages and be a scholar.

I did NOT say that an advanced degree is necessary.

However, I do feel that compared to his Royal contemporaries William comes off provincial and somewhat lacking.

However. I agree with everyone who believes that for the country of which he will be king, that is probably ok.

ETA: A college degree is indeed not a valid measure of intelligence or talent. Case in point... the very recent occupants of the Oval Office

Last edited:

But it wouldn't hurt.:

It’s interesting you say that because my thought would be that an intense education and training period would be much more useful for Kings in those earlier time periods when they were truly powerful and could make consequential decisions. None of the modern European monarchs have this ability - that power now rests with politicians. To me the most important thing a modern King or Queen can do is listen to the many, many experienced and knowledgeable people they have access to.

I can’t help thinking that the intense preparation some of the heirs get has an element of trying to show people they’re getting their money’s worth out of the monarchy. It also turns into a bit of a circular argument - look at all the education and training we’re giving this person so you can see the monarchy is worth keeping around becomes, (maybe, they hope), the monarchy must serve some very complicated and unique purpose because look at how much time and effort they’ve put into so and so’s education and training.

I like hearing about the different perspectives people have here. You all make me think!

I will say, in defence of Charles and Diana, (and McDonald’s), they did make sure William and Harry were used to being around the press and especially the public from very young ages. And not always in completely artificial ways. I think it served both boys well, and i expect they would have gotten more of this had Diana lived. In other ways I agree that Charles and Diana were too much wrapped up in their own drama and too little wrapped up in the day to day care of their sons.

I think that William can (and will) be a good king even though he can only speak one langugage. Not a big deal.

But there is something else that confuses me. It seems to me like many of the next (and now current) generation of the royal families in Europe have a quite close bond. They get together both on official and unofficial occasions. They are a small group of people who share a unique experience, and I'm sure that it's very helpful to be able to discuss things with other people who can really understand where you're coming from.

There was - just as an example - a quite well known (here in Sweden) incident during the 2012 olympics in London. Prince Daniel and prince Carl Philip were sitting in the VIP section during a competition when William arrived. He obviously didn't even know who they were, even though the Swedish princes politely said hello.

Having other royals as trusted friends is a valuable thing, especially for the heirs. I really think that both William and Kate should put some effort in building those relationships.

What is likely to happen? He's not going to walk out like Harry... If the monarchy becomes less popular I think William would be oK with letting it go, he's not passionate about being king... The monarchy has a support system which assists the king or queen.... and a sensible monarch which I think William is, will lean on that system. They don't have to be diplomats or polymaths or special at anything..

If he would be actively contributing in one way or another to the abolishment of the monarchy, I hope you would agree that in that case he would be unsuitable for that position. Of course, that doesn't mean that he won't be king; but some people occupy positions they are not suitable for which at times has devastating results for a company or those around them (or in this case a system that has been in place for centuries).

So, yes, while he will be king whether he is suitable or not; a thorough preparation and putting duty/service to your people ahead of your own interests would surely be beneficial from my point of view.

In general, I would say that William has shown himself to be ready when the time comes... even though in some areas he could have benefitted from additional training.

Last edited:
:previous: And there you have stated the exact position of anti-monarchy republicans across Europe and the Commonwealth.

Why indeed.

As I said before, I also think William's education is lacking somewhat (a postgraduate degree in internal relations for example and foreign language training would have been desirable).

Having said that, he has a 4-year first degree from one of the top universities in the UK and he had military training, including technical training that applies to a helicopter pilot. So it is not like he is some kind of High School dropout.

Actually he had far more formal education than, let's say, the Queen (which was literally none outside palace tutors, but times were different then).

I think that William can (and will) be a good king even though he can only speak one langugage. Not a big deal.

But there is something else that confuses me. It seems to me like many of the next (and now current) generation of the royal families in Europe have a quite close bond. They get together both on official and unofficial occasions. They are a small group of people who share a unique experience, and I'm sure that it's very helpful to be able to discuss things with other people who can really understand where you're coming from.

There was - just as an example - a quite well known (here in Sweden) incident during the 2012 olympics in London. Prince Daniel and prince Carl Philip were sitting in the VIP section during a competition when William arrived. He obviously didn't even know who they were, even though the Swedish princes politely said hello.

Having other royals as trusted friends is a valuable thing, especially for the heirs. I really think that both William and Kate should put some effort in building those relationships.

At least William and Catherine visited Daniel and Victoria afterwards, so hopefully that wouldn't happen again but I didn't know about this 'incident'; do you have any links so I could read up on it?

I agree that it would be beneficial for William and Catherine to get to know the continental royals (a bit/lot) better.

I remember this incident at the London Olympics very well. I was surprised and annoyed. He and Harry looked Carl-Philip in the eye and walked right past him. The Swedish king's son might as well have been a popcorn vendor.

And I am 100% convinced that William would not have been on the receiving end of that kind of boorish rudeness had he been a guest in Stockhom, being hosted by CP Victoria or her brother Phillip. Heck...it wouldn't even have happened in Monaco.

William need not be friends with these people and attend their weddings and get togethers.

He should at least display basic courtesy.

Last edited:
:previous: As is usually the case Denville, we don't agree.

I do believe that he is emotionally/ psychologically prepared for what's ahead. I also believe that in some ways his parents failed him, Charles in particular since Diana tragically died in his adolescence.

But time will tell.

But I agree very much with you.
We live in the 21 st century and nothing will be as it was even now when William will be King. A tremendous change in society aso is going on and if there will still be monarchy it will need much more than advisors , who have by the way not always proofed to manage situations (->Sussex desaster)
Considering the lack of being multilingual I saw William trying to catch up at least with his French, and he speaks some Welsh, too ;-)

It’s interesting you say that because my thought would be that an intense education and training period would be much more useful for Kings in those earlier time periods when they were truly powerful and could make consequential decisions. None of the modern European monarchs have this ability - that power now rests with politicians. To me the most important thing a modern King or Queen can do is listen to the many, many experienced and knowledgeable people they have access to.

I can’t help thinking that the intense preparation some of the heirs get has an element of trying to show people they’re getting their money’s worth out of the monarchy. It also turns into a bit of a circular argument - look at all the education and training we’re giving this person so you can see the monarchy is worth keeping around becomes, (maybe, they hope), the monarchy must serve some very complicated and unique purpose because look at how much time and effort they’ve put into so and so’s education and training.

I like hearing about the different perspectives people have here. You all make me think!

I will say, in defence of Charles and Diana, (and McDonald’s), they did make sure William and Harry were used to being around the press and especially the public from very young ages. And not always in completely artificial ways. I think it served both boys well, and i expect they would have gotten more of this had Diana lived. In other ways I agree that Charles and Diana were too much wrapped up in their own drama and too little wrapped up in the day to day care of their sons.

I think that's part of it in some ways. I would have had no objection if William had been sent for a year abroad or to advanced classes and things might well change for George, we'll see.

William has handled himself well when he's been in the diplomatic "cosmopolitan" role. That tour of Pakistan for example and Israel, Palestine and Jordan in three days would be some on the job experience, more so than for example, studying for a year in Canada. Having experience as a first responder seems to have helped him a lot in talking to frontline staff in the last year as well. He's also as the article reminded us had a crash course in seeing how GCHQ operate and clearly thinks about politics.

All the foreign boarding schools, colleges and studying can't force someone to be interesting and cosmopolitan, believe me I've seen it tried when the person involved just wasn't interested.

As for not being friends with the other European royals? Well they have met Victoria and Daniel a couple of times since then but it doesn't in general seem to be something the BRF is particularly interested in. Although I believe Edward and Sophie are quite good friends with some of them, being only a little older and the ones sent to all the weddings as a "safe pair of hands".

I agree that it would be good for William and Kate to socialize with the continental royals. (But maybe that's because I would!)

However, in a wee bit of fairness to them, William is not the heir apparent, and the British Monarchy is 'off generation' to the Continental monarchies, and [possibly because of the travel requirements of the Commonwealth] the Queen tends to send Edward & Sophie to continental royal events where introductions & friendships could be made. The 'major' events of course naturally still go to Charles.

(Now, that doesn't excuse William from reading the newspaper/knowing faces. :whistling: )

I would expect the same event today would be a bit different. In addition to their brief Scandanavian tour a few years ago, William and Kate have attended quite a few State Banquets in the U.K. with royals (Spain, Netherlands, and maybe another I'm forgetting.)

As I said before, I also think William's education is lacking somewhat (a postgraduate degree in internal relations for example and foreign language training would have been desirable).

Having said that, he has a 4-year first degree from one of the top universities in the UK and he had military training, including technical training that applies to a helicopter pilot. So it is not like he is some kind of High School dropout.

Actually he had far more formal education than, let's say, the Queen (which was literally none outside palace tutors, but times were different then).

Just a side note here. The Duchess of Sussex graduated from Northwestern University in Chicago with a Bachelor of Arts degree in theater and international relations. I don't think the international relations degree helped her much lately at all. ;)

Knowledge is one thing but experience is also a wonderful teacher. I can read and read and read about climbing the pyramids of Egypt until the cows come home and understand what it's like to climb a pyramid but until I actually go there and actually do it, I don't *know* what climbing a pyramid is like.

But I agree very much with you.
We live in the 21 st century and nothing will be as it was even now when William will be King. A tremendous change in society aso is going on and if there will still be monarchy it will need much more than advisors , who have by the way not always proofed to manage situations (->Sussex desaster)
Considering the lack of being multilingual I saw William trying to catch up at least with his French, and he speaks some Welsh, too ;-)

When he and Kate were received privately by President and Mme. Macron, there was a guest present who described an awkward, uncomfortable moment when the president of the French Republic began addressing the young couple in French. He naturally assumed that he could do that since other young Royal visitors to the Elysee could speak and understand French easily.

President Macron quickly realized his error. Thank goodness for his own perfect English.

This incident was not a deal breaker, but how nice would it have been for the future British head of State to have spoken French at least as well as his father does? His experience as an ambulance pilot did not serve him well on this overseas visit.

It is not strictly necessary that Charles knows German and French, obviously. But it comes in handy no less.

Last edited:
I think that's part of it in some ways. I would have had no objection if William had been sent for a year abroad or to advanced classes and things might well change for George, we'll see.

William has handled himself well when he's been in the diplomatic "cosmopolitan" role. That tour of Pakistan for example and Israel, Palestine and Jordan in three days would be some on the job experience, more so than for example, studying for a year in Canada. Having experience as a first responder seems to have helped him a lot in talking to frontline staff in the last year as well. He's also as the article reminded us had a crash course in seeing how GCHQ operate and clearly thinks about politics.

All the foreign boarding schools, colleges and studying can't force someone to be interesting and cosmopolitan, believe me I've seen it tried when the person involved just wasn't interested.

As for not being friends with the other European royals? Well they have met Victoria and Daniel a couple of times since then but it doesn't in general seem to be something the BRF is particularly interested in. Although I believe Edward and Sophie are quite good friends with some of them, being only a little older and the ones sent to all the weddings as a "safe pair of hands".

Well, of course it is difficult or impossible to compare scandinavian countries to the UK. The scandinavian royals are much better suited and accepted in society and lead a totally different lifestyle, and the danish is much older than the british by the way.
William&Kate could actually learn a lot from the scandinavian for the upcoming challenges.
And some monarchs face a much more political role than the British of course.
And I think this is another reason why some prepare their heir much more or different (studies at university aso) than the british, because at the moment HM&Charles simply do what the Parliament tells them plus charity.

A spanish heir or Mathilde face really political roles in their future, it's not only about cutting ribbons and being a little diplomatic every now and then when travelling like Charles&co have to.

But as I said above Britain like all countries will face huge changes, let's see how things will work out for all of them.

At least William and Catherine visited Daniel and Victoria afterwards, so hopefully that wouldn't happen again but I didn't know about this 'incident'; do you have any links so I could read up on it?

I agree that it would be beneficial for William and Catherine to get to know the continental royals (a bit/lot) better.

I'm sure that William would recognise Daniel now, especially after the visit. But I don't think that W&K are personal friends with the other European royals of their generation. I hope that can change in the future.

I tried to google but didn't find any photos of this, but I know they are out there. If I find them, I'll post them here!

Back
Top Bottom