Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't ever recall William saying he hates being royal. There are aspects of it he doesn't like just like with Harry. Mainly the invasion of privacy.

William isn't the heir. He is heir to the heir. He already involved with the running of the Duchy of Cornwall. He has done multiple overseas tours, investitures, etc. He has experience in three branches of the military.

Compare William today to the 25 yr Princess Elizabeth who inherits the throne, he has much more experience than his granny did when she became Queen. Elizabeth spent her youth behind the walls of palaces and the War at Windsor. She had limited overseas experience.

If he didn't accept his future role, he could have given up as a young man. He had his own money. Not do what he did. And if people think William doesn't want to be King, Harry definitely doesn't want to be.

Everything I read about people that have actually met and interacted with William (not armchair psychologists) say how nice William is, how he makes you feel comfortable talking to him. He is not bubbly like Harry or his dad but who is also not bubbly the Queen.

The monarchy is moving closer to the people not further away in the coming years. The days of watching behind the palace walls like Victoria did are gone. William since he was little has mixed with regular people, married a regular person, serviced in the military with regular people and does a job now with regular people.

I can think of two events of William interaction this summer that shows that William how he goes out his Royal role. The 10th Anniversary of the 7/7 bombings Hyde Park service. He paid his respects, he listened, he hugged. He connected with the people there because he had experience the same thing- the unexpected loss of a love one. The other was William and the Lionesses of the England soccer team. He went to visit them before the World Cup, called them in Canada, put of letters of support, invited to KP after they got back. These ladies aren't the millionaires of the men's team. They don't even have the history of winning that the U.S. Women's team does but William treated them like sporting heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I think people keep forgetting that William is not in the same position as Charles was at the same age. William hasn't even become the PoW yet and has still done all the things he's done. I rather think he's done a lot considering he's just the heir's heir.

LaRae

I don't ever recall William saying he hates being royal. There are aspects of it he doesn't like just like with Harry. Mainly the invasion of privacy.

Which is something I believe he has in common with nearly every member of a reigning family.

I think people keep forgetting that William is not in the same position as Charles was at the same age. William hasn't even become the PoW yet and has still done all the things he's done. I rather think he's done a lot considering he's just the heir's heir.

LaRae
I agree. And all I can say is, CHINA! Can he be an olive branch and neutral enough to be their link to china, then he's diplomatically ready!

Actually I find it quite hard to believe that William is indifferent when it comes to the roles he'll participate in if/when he does become King. In fact, I'd feel safe to say that William would be the King that brought the monarchy closer to the people. One example I can think of off the top of my head was the very royal wedding put together with all the pomp and circumstance that could be mustered for Will and Kate's wedding. The night before the ceremony, William himself went out among the people gathering to watch as he left Clarence House. We are now hearing that William and Harry along with Peter Phillips are conspiring to throw a huge street party for HM's 90th birthday celebrating the 600 patronages the Queen holds.

He's had a master of the fine art of being a monarch as his tutor for a very long time, his parents showed by example how to interact with the people (Diana) and how to give 150% to the things you're passionate about (Charles) and stick with it and last but not least, William will have a strong support system with his wife and brother by his side. Combine all this with what I feel is a genuine desire to serve and support people, I think he's going to do just fine when the time comes.

I tend to agree with you. William is very much in touch with the people. Heck, he works alongside 'regular Joes'. When he interacts with the public, especially children, he is all in, it's obvious. Trust me, if children didn't think he was genuine, they won't be so eager to give him hugs, and to engage him in play. The image of him in a ball pit during his visit to Asia is a perfect example. Furthermore, I think as he gets older, he'll be more comfortable with the ceremonial,stuff, but I have a feeling he's more concerned with being hands-on, and among the public. Yes, his role models are top notch, so he'll know what is expected, and with his wife, and brother as support system, he will only gain more confidence. His shyness, and reluctance to be in the spotlight only endears him to me, bit that's just my personal opinion. In short, he's doing what he needs to do to prepare for his role. He's not the Prince of Wales, so of course his role will be limited in official capacity for the time being.

I've never interacted with William but listening to people who have he seems to be charming and down to earth.

I think its a case of we see what we want to see. As I stated in my earlier post clearly the British people have faith in William. So much so that they would rather Charles be skipped and have William as the next king.

If the British didn't think William 'suitable' this issue of the next king wouldn't even register.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

King Carl XVI Gustaf, King Harald V, King Willem-Alexander, King Philippe, Grand-Duke Henri, King Felipe, none of them are too charismatic and overly enthusiast guys. None of their monarchies is in danger because of that. Maybe it is the contrary: a King whom is too interested, too involved, too hands-on is a threat to the monarchy because the politicians will become irritated.

:flowers:
:previous: /Good post. William has had nearly the exact same education, military training and preparation as most of these men and his father's adult peers. William's personality is similar to his paternal grandmother's shy but warm IMHO.

Last edited:
To be fair I can't see why William or Harry wouldn't want to be part of the Prince's Trust, I get that they have their own foundation but surely they wouldn't just let a £70million+ a year charity disappear because they 'want to make their own mark'.

Here is the reality as I see it, my opinion, Prince Charles whatever anyone thinks of the man started The Princes Trust which has, according to experts in their fields created more permanent jobs than any government scheme. According to employees he is an excellent and engaged boss. Now he is getting older, most people of his age would be considering retiring, semi-retiring but he is in the position of having to gear up for his main TT. The one he did not choose, the one he was born to do. He now needs to take on new tasks, responsiblities and duties. No one, not even a workaholic with a team of staff can do it all. The Duke of Edinburgh has made plans as I understand it for the Duke of Edinburgh awards to continue when he is no longer able to engage as fully. As we seen earlier this week even some of Diana, The Princess of Wales Charities work on bullying is being picked up and continued I believe in the form of public appearances by The Duke of Cambridge. So there is his fathers legacy, his mothers legacy and his own legacy to consider. As a country we are in terrible shape, today it was announced that there is a chance that free school meals despite being proven to work are potentially going to be scrapped. All of these causes need support, their work highlighted etc and yes merely turning up does bring the causes to the attention of the public via the media.

This is a very interesting article. Can we trust it? :ermm: If it is even halfway true, then it is a very dismal family picture indeed. :sad:

What would save the day is if Harry steps up to the plate and takes the reins of the Prince's Trust. In fact, what a flashy success he could make it, even more than it is today. (And if Harry marries someone as beautiful and sweet as Cressida, they'd be a power couple, and likely outshine William and Catherine in certain ways. Younger sibs always do, all that freedom and lack of responsibility. ;) )

To be fair I can't see why William or Harry wouldn't want to be part of the Prince's Trust, I get that they have their own foundation but surely they wouldn't just let a £70million+ a year charity disappear because they 'want to make their own mark'.

I agree. :ermm: This is the most strange thing from my perspective. I have many friends who have taken on the family business. It makes perfect sense for either William, or Harry, or both, to merge their foundations with the Prince's Trust and forge ahead from their father's excellent beginnings. This is a genuinely family business, and for Charles' sons to pass it by looks mightily odd from where I sit. In fact, I know someone who benefitted form the Prince's Trust. Charles has mounted an amazing organization that any son should be proud to take on.

Very odd goings on. I have never been a particular fan of William. We are close in age but even so he never engaged my attention for some reason. (I am aware he was seen as handsome and a 'catch', just not with me). Now with this, it looks very tacky. William has no sense of family pride, oddly enough. Very poor show. :sad:

Last edited:
Do we know the reality of what is or is not happening? Can The Fail be trusted to report accurately? All very big questions.

Do we know the reality of what is or is not happening? Can The Fail be trusted to report accurately? All very big questions.

Well, that's the question. They are painting a very dismal picture, and if accurate, not a good indication of a family working together. :ermm: Very sad.

What will tell everything is actions as time goes on. Taking on Diana's concerns is a good thing, so there is no aversion there. Now regarding a father leaving this massive legacy that needs tending, if both sons ignore it, what a message will be sent. Very tacky. :sad:

Well, that's the question. They are painting a very dismal picture, and if accurate, not a good indication of a family working together. :ermm: Very sad.

What will tell everything is actions as time goes on. Taking on Diana's concerns is a good thing, so there is no aversion there. Now regarding a father leaving this massive legacy that needs tending, if both sons ignore it, what a message will be sent. Very tacky. :sad:
. The problem is that reports of this type sell newspapers. I believe that there is a campaign ongoing within The Royal Household for The Cambridge's to 'up their game.' There are an incredible amount of Charities, causes etc to whom a Royal Patronage would mean so much. We have seen this week part of the problem for The DOC in being a normal person in a normal job and as Ken Wharfe said and I paraphrase, alot of people can be a pilot but there is only one Prince William. I feel for him, especially regarding how he seen the media treat his mother and it is an unenviable position in my opinion but these are issues that are growing.

From the DM article,

Increasingly, then, it is the Prince of Wales who dispenses honours, conducts investitures and goes on the lion’s share of long-haul flights. He chairs the Privy Council, sits in the wings at the State Opening of Parliament and meets Government Ministers as well as visiting foreign and Commonwealth representatives.

Comment: I'm surprised to hear that Charles is carrying out State business such as chairing the Privy Council or meeting ministers in an formal capacity as I had heard exactly the opposite before, i.e. that the Queen made a point of keeping all of her official state business agenda.

How would The Daily Mail know what goes on in private especially in relation to The Privy Council? If that were leaked information there would be a hunt on for the source, I suspect. I don't know but I suspect.

Martina Millburn, chief executive of The Prince’s Trust, told The Mail on Sunday: ‘The Prince is still very committed and involved. He’s a workaholic and somehow he fits everything in. For the moment, he remains the president.’

She added: ‘If the Duke of Cambridge or Prince Harry take it over then it would be a family matter and that’s to be discussed.

‘Princes William and Harry have been very involved with the trust over the years. They have been very supportive.’
So its a private Matter between Charles and his sons. Nothing about the Trust has changed and almost the entire story is just fabrication.

I just looked at the notes of the privy council meetings for this year. Charles wasn't at any of them. It was the Queen at BP with like 5 members.

http://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/orders-in-council-2015/

There is a Lord President of the Council that presents the business of the council to the Queen during the meetings. It used to be Nick Clegg now it's Chris Grayling.

The prince's trust has been around for a long time. It would have systems in place that would let it continue without major involvement from Charles. As King, he really can't be seen fundraising for his charity. The press would be all over him with stories of invites to palaces after large donations or worse Knighthood after extra large donations.

Usually the Mail writes crap or made-up stuff... But does anybody get the feeling that this seems to be a "leaked" account from the palace? I got that vibe from the first lines... Anyway, true or not, I think it is not too early to start thinking about that... They all behave like the queen were immortal... and I don't understand that. Yes, it can takes a long time but it could happen tomorrow as well... and it wouldn't be bad to have one's mind already made up about small things etc.

I think William and Harry will help out with the trust, but I really think it will all switch over to, The King's Trust.

I just looked at the notes of the privy council meetings for this year. Charles wasn't at any of them. It was the Queen at BP with like 5 members.

Orders in Council 2015 | Privy Council

There is a Lord President of the Council that presents the business of the council to the Queen during the meetings. It used to be Nick Clegg now it's Chris Grayling.

The prince's trust has been around for a long time. It would have systems in place that would let it continue without major involvement from Charles. As King, he really can't be seen fundraising for his charity. The press would be all over him with stories of invites to palaces after large donations or worse Knighthood after extra large donations.

Surely that has happened already?

Royal wedding: Prince Charles' chums and 'first love' win places at Westminster Abbey | Daily Mail Online

Orders in Council 2015 | Privy Council

What I do not understand: it looks as of there are dozens and dozens of privy councillors. Every minute starts with the swearing-in of lots of gentlemen and ladies. I wonder of the Council really has anything to say or if it is purely a symbolic gathering for the royal assent?

Those minutes from the Privy Council are exhausting, I had no idea there was such a wide spectrum of areas in which the Council's involvement is needed, it almost looks like the minutes of a Cabinet meeting!

Not everyone is at the meetings. The last one in July had 4 members with the Queen. I believe the full council only meets when there is a new monarch. There also was an election this year in the UK so there would be a lot swearing in of new people to replace people who left after the election such Clegg and Miliband etc

If I remember right, these meetings are done standing to keep the pace moving.

Last edited:
As the Queen becomes increasingly frail in future years I can see Charles presiding over these PC meetings, though.

The Queen herself doesn't even run the meetings. The Lord President of the Council present the business of the day and the Queen gives her approval yes or no. Charles can't even do the Queen's part until he is given her powers by a regency or appointment of councilors of state.

. I believe that there is a campaign ongoing within The Royal Household for The Cambridge's to 'up their game.' There are an incredible amount of Charities, causes etc to whom a Royal Patronage would mean so much. We have seen this week part of the problem for The DOC in being a normal person in a normal job and as Ken Wharfe said and I paraphrase, alot of people can be a pilot but there is only one Prince William. I feel for him, especially regarding how he seen the media treat his mother and it is an unenviable position in my opinion but these are issues that are growing.

Very true.
But if it's also the case that the RF is due to downsize, then what?

A lot of charities needing patrons equals more royal involvement, not less.
When the elder cousins give up their patronages, I don't see where the younger ones will be able to cover them all, let alone take on new ones.

Usually the Mail writes crap or made-up stuff... But does anybody get the feeling that this seems to be a "leaked" account from the palace? I got that vibe from the first lines... Anyway, true or not, I think it is not too early to start thinking about that... They all behave like the queen were immortal... and I don't understand that. Yes, it can takes a long time but it could happen tomorrow as well... and it wouldn't be bad to have one's mind already made up about small things etc.

It had the feeling of an article preparing a population for a coming reality, or possibly sending up a marker to see the reaction. It could also be read as fabrication, stirring the pot. :flowers: Certainly the Charles and William angle is stirring the pot.

Back
Top Bottom