Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if the Windsors are going to continue to sit on the throne, Will has a lot of revamping to do - revamping the idea that he's a celebrity or pet, revamping the notion of royalty in the 21st century, its purpose, its value, etc.

I think it's a daunting task. I think it's the hardest task a British monarch has had to face. I know some of you think that Will and Kate are up to that task. I personally do not. But I have been wrong before. And I have been right.
Wouldn't this task be up to Charles? He is after all the next in line to the throne.

As for whether William is suitable to be king, I think he'll be fine. As others have said, he's shown he can lead through his work as an SAR pilot. Not to mention the hands on training he's getting from his grandmother and father - which is really all the training he needs. I mean, unlike other jobs, one can't take a class on how to be a monarch. Plus he still has years before he'll even get to the throne (and it's not guaranteed that the monarchy will still be around then), so all this hand wringing about William seems a bit premature.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this task be up to Charles? He is after all the next in line to the throne.

It will be up to whoever is on the throne when there needs to be some revamping. I think Charles will get a pass here - for one thing, he's up there in years as well, and I think many almost see him as an interim king between the Queen and Will. Not that he sees it that way, and will certainly attempt to leave his mark.

But I think that most British people who support the monarch largely have their sights pinned on Will. Will, like his mother, is a larger than life character. We expect a lot from larger than life characters (which is another reason why Charles will get a pass - not much is expected of him - and I'm talking of the general public here, not the very small amount who actually watch them as we do). They have a lot of hopes and dreams pinned on Will and his wife and family. I think it's a lot to ask. When I speak of Will's suitability to be king in terms of keeping the monarchy together and turning it into something workable and in fact admirable to the 21st century denizen, as the Queen did for the 20th century, and my belief that he might not be up to the task, I do not discount the fact that there are other forces at play here that are out of his control, and in fact never were in his control.

Gracie! Incoming! *Hiding under the desk* The Charles and Camilla People are COMING!!! If you want to meet me under the desk, I will bring wine and cheese!

The Queen is showing no signs of ill health so I fully expect her to be around several more years when you look at the longevity of the women in her family.

By the time Charles gets to be King he's not going to be a spring chicken himself. However I think, unless he is in bad health, he will take his place if for no other reason in order to help William learn more and delay all that load until it's necessary.

If we are getting under the desk I'll bring the anti-pasta.

LaRae

:previous: A stupid question perhaps and slightly off topic, is the Australian GG an Australian or British national? Or is there no general rule in that respect?

Can be either, but it will be a cold day in hell before a British citizen is GG. There was once talk that Prince Charles, Prince Edward and Prince William wanting the position. Our Prime Minister selects the GG, and all have said that our GG will be Australian citizens who have been raised here, and more importantly, understands Australia.

Our current GG is one I look up to. Hopefully Cosgrove gets the appointment next year.

As for William's suitability: anyone who thinks he is ready for it now need their heads read. He is way too immature for the role. He has had little travel to meet his subjects. And throwing him and Catherine into that role would be monarchy suicide.

But I think that most British people who support the monarch largely have their sights pinned on Will. Will, like his mother, is a larger than life character. We expect a lot from larger than life characters (which is another reason why Charles will get a pass - not much is expected of him - and I'm talking of the general public here, not the very small amount who actually watch them as we do). They have a lot of hopes and dreams pinned on Will and his wife and family. I think it's a lot to ask.

He's only "larger than life" because of his mother. If Camilla had been his mother and not Diana I don't believe this would be discussed. He's never actively courted attention so all the expectations of his perfect future are being dreamed up by all the Diana uberfans who think he'll be the second coming of King Arthur. And that's a lot of pressure to put on a guy who's still trying to come to terms with the fact that the job will be his one day and all the normalcy that he's wanted and the little he's been able to achieve will, for the most part, be gone.

The British monarchy has been around for 1200 years and there's a mountain of history and tradition that would break anyone if they didn't have time to let it soak in. I don't care if you're born into it, if you're eventually going to lead the whole caravan, you're not going to be able to do it by osmosis. William will need the leadership of his grandmother and his father and I believe he's got the brains to be the kind of King needed for the 21st century. But he's only really just gotten started so whatsay we all give him the time to find his footing and come back and discuss the issue in 15 or 20 years.

It will be up to whoever is on the throne when there needs to be some revamping. I think Charles will get a pass here - for one thing, he's up there in years as well, and I think many almost see him as an interim king between the Queen and Will. Not that he sees it that way, and will certainly attempt to leave his mark.

But I think that most British people who support the monarch largely have their sights pinned on Will. Will, like his mother, is a larger than life character. We expect a lot from larger than life characters (which is another reason why Charles will get a pass - not much is expected of him - and I'm talking of the general public here, not the very small amount who actually watch them as we do). They have a lot of hopes and dreams pinned on Will and his wife and family. I think it's a lot to ask. When I speak of Will's suitability to be king in terms of keeping the monarchy together and turning it into something workable and in fact admirable to the 21st century denizen, as the Queen did for the 20th century, and my belief that he might not be up to the task, I do not discount the fact that there are other forces at play here that are out of his control, and in fact never were in his control.

I remember reading a poll (a year or two ago) that had Charles ahead of William when it came to who should be the next king. So I don't think most British people are pinning their hopes and dreams on William and Kate.

Since it will more than likely be some time before William gets to the throne, I don't see why there should be so much focus on him being able to keep the monarchy together. It will be up to Charles to turn the monarchy into something workable and admirable during his reign. William has years before he'll have to do that. In the meantime, he just needs to continue working and learning all he can before he takes the throne.

Last edited:
While Diana was popular in her time, quite a few folks I know (myself included) have over the years got sick and tired of having her rammed down our throats as something extra special who should be venerated to almost a saint like status.

Charles and Camilla have worked bloody hard to win over the British public and they have managed that with poise and grace.

Now part of why William is so popular is simply down to his late mother (not to mention how she died), he's only 31 so he has plenty of time to prove he is worthy of wearing the crown in the future.

The BRF have slowly over the past 100 years been evolving, they have gone from being those aloof almost mystical beings to normal people who are borne into an extraordinary family.

The fact that William is showing signs of continuing this "common touch" is good and helps maintain that all important connection between the vast majority of population of the UK and the Royal family.

But all this is neither here nor there since it will be some time before he even gets to the throne and a hell of a lot can happen in 10 years or more.

Y'know after reading all this, one has to really feel for the position that George is in.

I do think there is one thing that defines the British Royals and that is tradition. They keep it alive. They make it real. Like a ring that's been handed down in a family for centuries, age old traditions are still adhered to although many would think outdated. Its a remembrance of where they came from and how they got to where they are now. Its purely history in motion.

William might seem like a regular "just call me William" on occasion and the media has had a blast with Harry's escapades but when it boils down to actually representing the monarchy, these boys are well versed in how it should be done. There's a beautiful picture of William doing a formal bow to his sovereign on base in Anglesy and Prince Henry was all in the royal mode as he closed the 2012 Olympic games. The best is yet to come and I don't think they'll disappoint us. Where they are needed and they need to get the word out about something that needs to be said, they do get it done.

They're not political. They're being followed for who they are and don't actually try to attract the attention that celebrities get. If anything, growing up with the mother they had, they've earned the right to duly abhor the press. They do know they live in the proverbial fishbowl. Do you blame them really for wanting to see the other side of the fence?

One thing I think we can all agree on is that in the 21st century as we move into a more global society, we also realize the value of history and tradition and that perhaps is what a monarchy represents but we also realize that it is our own responsibility to realize what affects our lives and laws where we live.

I have no doubt that when the time comes, Their Majesties King William & Queen Catherine will do a great job. Right now, I'm very interested in watching them carryout their apprenticeships and establishing their royal roles.

BTW, I think William will make a fine King. His mother and father did whatever they could to help him realize his destiny.

We don't know when they will be called to the throne but I think they will do what they can to prepare for it.

Last edited:
To many of us its the educational degree that gets us ahead in the world is how we measure other people. To some its the amount of money in a bank account that matters.. and to others its the money AND the title that matter and then it goes on to include the bloodline.. who you came from and whatnot and the scandals can be such fun! .. and on it goes.

Baseline.. we're all folks. we just think different and have different situations we deal with. William is just as human as we are.

Before the wedding in 2011, a lot of people thought the crown should skip Charles and go to William ( i didnt agree with this). Post-2011, a lot of people now realize the like it or not, Charles is better trained & prepared for the job.
I think the change in this view is due to Catherine & George. With his marriage & a baby, people realize that William still has a lot of millestones to achieve. He needs time with his young family, he needs time to learn the ropes. The Queen was amazing at 25 but she sacrifised a lot, had little time for her children. Charles does not have a young family anymore, his boys are now men. He can dedicate himself to the top job better.

The coming year or so will shape William's role within the royal family, that is something I will keep a close eye on.

[ The coming year or so will shape William's role within the royal family, that is something I will keep a close eye on.

We all know that should any of the royals cut the cheese, let the big one fly and/or pass gas and blame it on the corgi it will make front page news. For weeks people will be discussing the how and why said unmentionable act of a mammal would be removed from their clothing and would that clothing be fit to wear again. It would be the fart heard around the world within minutes of it happening.

The point I'm trying to make is that we cannot know and/or judge Wills from what the media is privileged to know. We never get the full story or picture.

He's 31 not exactly a child. He is either prepared or not prepared.

His grandmother & father can both die suddenly, (Accident, falling off a horse, helicopter crash.) and the top job will be his.

We can all watch him next year to see if he has the qualifications.

Does he write his own speeches? Is he tongue tied? Does he fidget when speaking to world leaders? Is he awkward around world leaders? Does he divert his eyes when speaking to someone?

He's 31 not exactly a child. He is either prepared or not prepared.

His grandmother & father can both die suddenly, (Accident, falling off a horse, helicopter crash.) and the top job will be his.

We can all watch him next year to see if he has the qualifications.

Does he write his own speeches? Is he tongue tied? Does he fidget when speaking to world leaders? Is he awkward around world leaders? Does he divert his eyes when speaking to someone?
I would imagine that HM, the DoE and PoW ensured that William would be prepared to take on the role of king if needed. Had the unthinkable happened to the senior royals, he would have the assistance of advisers. If he'd still been a young teenager then there would have been a regent to stand in his place until he reached a certain age ie 21. There would have been a long preparation time before his coronation.

From what I can see William knows how to interact with world leaders. He's had the opportunity to meet with leaders and members of the UK and Commonwealth governments. AFAIK he has not created controversy at home or abroad with his remarks either. In a nutshell he appears to be ready to take on the role if needed.

Many people also grow into a role or rise to the occasion when the need to. William seems like a bright guy, so I imagine he will cope very well when the time comes.

arguably both Charles and William will be (are) far more educated and prepared for the position than either of their 2 crowned predecessors were at their time of their accession. I would assume HM has seen to that as she was witness to her father being thrust into the role.

QEII - began her reign at the age of 26; although she had been the heir presumptive since she was 10 yrs old

George VI - assumed the role after his brother abdicated - virtually no preparation nor formal training.

You can only arm them with tools - the rest is experience.

The Queen is showing no signs of ill health so I fully expect her to be around several more years when you look at the longevity of the women in her family.

By the time Charles gets to be King he's not going to be a spring chicken himself. However I think, unless he is in bad health, he will take his place if for no other reason in order to help William learn more and delay all that load until it's necessary.

If we are getting under the desk I'll bring the anti-pasta.

LaRae
Grazie, La Rae! Welcome under here. It's a nice large desk with a few cushions, so we can push on till morning! :)

In Life Story William & Kate, it was written:

"All these questions about do you want to be king? It's not a question of wanting to be," he (William) says. "It's something I was born into and it's my duty."

I believe that as a Prince, William is performing his royal duties efficiently.
As a Sovereign, William will perform his kingly duties efficiently.

:previous:
And yes he will do his duty and maybe somewhere he wishes he was just an average guy flying and having his family. I believe he has accepted his role in life as he had no choice when he was born as to whom his parents would be. I do admire him for accepting his role in life.

Well I don't see him as unsuitable but his father gives me the impression of being a far better king. At 31 he still doesn't seem to like royal duties and does them when he has to. At the same time he has proven to be a hard worker with his various training and jobs.

I think Charles was much more prepared at William's age... But the times have changed... If I have to say if IMO he is suitable now I think not... But when he will become king ( I guess later in his 50s at least) he might be... we'll see...

I think Charles was much more prepared at William's age... But the times have changed... If I have to say if IMO he is suitable now I think not... But when he will become king ( I guess later in his 50s at least) he might be... we'll see...

Timing is everything. For those of us old enough to remember, Charles at William's age seemed already impatient with his waiting status. Being prepared but not being allowed to act must be incredibly frustrating. I always thought it interesting that the press pipped Catherine as waity Katie - having a third party watch you wait only intensifies the anxiety.
I've always had the opinion that The Prince of Wales is completely behind a methodical development (slow to some) for Wills because the POW knows intimately how excruciating the wait can be.
William already has developed the skills of internal character and personal people skills. It's a great base upon which he can build the diplomatic and political skills he will need in the future.
In some ways, William's personal reticence to speak on political topics shows him a bit ahead of his dad on this singular skill. He seems perfectly happy to help and influence without sharing his opinion with the UK.

I definitely think Charles is more prepared than William, but Charles was also handed a lot more responsibility at a much younger age because he was the Heir Apparent from childhood. He was invested as Prince of Wales at 21. William hasn't gotten to that position. I also think that William has more of a public mask he puts on than Charles does. He has shied away from the press ever since everything with his mother happened. I think he has grown to be fiercely protective of his private life as a result - including his private personality. It's obvious that he is uncomfortable with the press in his life, but I think coming from a family that is required to put duty above self, he will perform his role as King effectively when his time comes. I do sometimes wonder though if he would be more comfortable in a more informal, laid back atmosphere like some of the other European monarchies have.

. . . . . In some ways, William's personal reticence to speak on political topics shows him a bit ahead of his dad on this singular skill. He seems perfectly happy to help and influence without sharing his opinion with the UK.
It is interesting to note the different ways we see things. For me, I think William's silent acquiescence is the result of his being unprepared to ever go off script and is a avid adherent to the Proverb, "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

I look at William and think he is a pretty ordinary 30 year old and is invested in his job and that job is, for now, flying rescue helicopters. I don't get the impression that he is invested in anything other than that or his charities, certainly not anything remotely political and, strangely enough, for me I can't help but think it is not wisdom that keeps him silent but apathy.

:previous:
Very good insight into William, I think with his mother's divorce and the press hounding her the way they did has made a huge impression on him and from what I see, he is reluctant in many ways of being more then he is right now. Oh he will do his duty as he has been taught to do, but if given a free choice, he would not be king and live his life on his terms. I think he hides behind those beautiful blue eyes and charming smile a great deal and only few really know him.

Oh he will do his duty as he has been taught to do, but if given a free choice, he would not be king and live his life on his terms.

Absolutely agreed. I really do feel for him, being stuck in a position he obviously would prefer not to be in. Hopefully, both the Queen and Charles live long, full lives - giving him ample time to grow more comfortable in the role before he has to be front-and-center.

Why would William want to be political? As King he would need to be apolitical, so it is best to be like the Queen and keep his views private rather to be like his father with a document trail following behind him.

Also he is going to be King of multiple countries- definitely another reason to stay away from politics.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am surprised that this thread exists. The day of Prince William's kingship is still far away. And... suitable or not suitable, intelligent or not intelligent, social or not social, handsome or not handsome, political or not political, the good man WILL be King. That is the principle of a hereditary succession. When a young, barely educated and prepared lady can become Queen (Victoria and Elizabeth) and have long Reigns, then Prince William is -in comparison- more than overqualified for "the job".

If only the technology had existed and it could have provided us with threads for the following: Henry VI, Charles I, Edward VI, Edward V, Edward VIII, and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom