Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:Well, you've managed to insult everyone over 60 who participates in this Forum!!! LOL

William can take his turn. Charles will usher in a new House of Windsor, to be sure.

Sorry to all those over 50, 60? Kitty thank you for making me feel like a schmuck! And to think, Im almost 60!!! Open mouth, insert foot. lol. :)

Ageism much.
The situation is reminiscent of Edward VII and George V.

Calenei said:
The Prince of Wales would be a new era and it would be a big change from HM the Queen. Prince William should be given the chance to enjoy family life and raise a family before becoming King anyways.

Very good point. It will be a big change to not have her majasty on the throne. I am sure Charles will a a great king and William will be as well In their on time.

At the end of the 19th C the same sentiments were being made about Edward VII - that he should stand down in favour of George V, who at the time had a young family, which was increased during the first decade of the century.

As things turned out Edward was the perfect King for that first decade of the century - he was flamboyant, outgoing etc. The very personification of the high point of the British Empire. The very fact that he was only King for 9 years and yet that period is named after him says a lot about his impact and how popular he was.

Charles, like Edward, will follow a very popular long serving female monarch. Will he be as popular as Edward - probably not - but that is as much due to the fact that many more people are anti-monarchy today as any other reason.

Charles should get his chance, even if is it only for 10 years - as that will allow William so more precious years with his family rather than duty, duty, and more duty.

Charles should get his chance, even if is it only for 10 years - as that will allow William so more precious years with his family rather than duty, duty, and more duty.

I think it will also be a hands on training period for William as he steps into some of the roles Charles performed during his time as Prince of Wales. Now that we see that the Duke of Edinburgh is to curtail his activities a bit, I think we're going to see more and more of William being a full time royal once his stint with SAR is over in 2013. I also kind of expect to see William and/or Kate accompanying the Queen at various functions. What better way to prepare for the future than hands on experience under HM?

I think it will also be a hands on training period for William as he steps into some of the roles Charles performed during his time as Prince of Wales. Now that we see that the Duke of Edinburgh is to curtail his activities a bit, I think we're going to see more and more of William being a full time royal once his stint with SAR is over in 2013. I also kind of expect to see William and/or Kate accompanying the Queen at various functions. What better way to prepare for the future than hands on experience under HM?

I believe Catherine is supposed to do a joint engagement with Her Majesty sometime next month. I'm looking forward to it (some articles were posted in Catherine's 'Current Events' thread several days ago). I think we will be seeing William step up a bit even before his RAF/SAR service is up, especially if his grandfather is curtailing his workload. Of course this also gives Charles a chance to do even more, which is never a bad thing.

Why is everyone so adamant that William should have "more precious years" with his family without "duty, duty, and more duty?" The Cambridges want to be "normal" and I don't know of many "normal" people who were allowed not to work and spend more time with family. With William possibly just a few years from the Crown, he needs to finish his military duty and get on with it.

The Cambridges want to be "normal" and I don't know of many "normal" people who were allowed not to work and spend more time with family.

A few observations:
1) This notion of "normal" in the context of the Cambridge couple is one put forward by certain sections of the press, and appears to be taken as gospel by some. In my mind, theire lives are anything but normal. It is certainly not something that the couple themselves have ever pushed.
2) William has a full time job, and does his royal duties in addition to his SAR duties. To me that is hardly the case of trying to choose between work and family.

I don't believe anyone is making this claim that Prince William while raising a family not perform any duties. The key is there is no need to rush Prince William ahead of his Father.

It seems almost cruel to wish that Prince Charles miss his turn after spending a lifetime getting ready to do this job. His speeches in the past couple of years have been so good, he's really one of the best political and social speakers on the Planet. Very thoughtful, sometimes reads a complex set of thoughts - like a professor would do at a conference - but with much more verve and managing to retain the interest of the audiences I've seen (all of this is from video and youtube, of course).

He will be quite different from his mother, I'm certain of it. At least, from the way I view change.

But wishing him to be on the throne just to get a change is wishing HM's reign to end. :ermm:

It is cruel to wish Charles out of line especially when its simply because he is not young anymore.
As for William wanting a normal life with his family, there is a difference between 98% of the worlds normal and what William and his family have as normal. Let the man raise his family as the Duke of Cambridge and then the Prince of Wales; there is no need to have him skipping steps and become King.

They can't win anyway. If you play for the public you die by the public. If you don't play for the public, but for you, you at least have more fun in life before you die... And who says William wants to be king anyway? :D

He never said he doesn't want to be King. Here the interview on his 21st Birthday. BBC NEWS | UK | William: My duty to be king

He has his grandmother sense of duty. :flowers:

He never said he doesn't want to be King. Here the interview on his 21st Birthday. BBC NEWS | UK | William: My duty to be king

I think that you're right, and perhaps for that reason he's not taking up full royal duties at the time (though his work with the RAF is definitely service to the Crown). People tend to see that as being lazy, but I see it as being self-aware. If he's a full-time working royal, he won't be able to do full justice to his SAR work, and if he's a full-time SAR pilot, he cannot be a full-time working royal, because he won't be able to do the job the way he may think it needs to be done. If he does indeed posses his Granny's sense of duty (and I'm pretty sure he does), he would want to do the job the way it was meant to be done; with dedication and passion.

He has a full time job with the SAR and fits in royal engagements when needed. I would imagine his peers in the SAR would feel a bit put upon if they had to constantly fill in for him because he needed extra leave for royal engagements. It seems very odd to criticize someone for actually doing their job, which at the moment is to be an SAR officer, and apparently doing it quite well.

I think it is a case of people just wanting to see more of William and Catherine and feeling a bit put out when that does not happen as often as they want.

Last edited:
You make valid points, but of course who is going to admit to the fact that all they want is more pictures of the two, and don't care one way or another if they actually do anything productive (though of course if they're seen having a bit of a breather, the griping about being lazy begins)? I personally don't see any issues with William doing what he's doing right now, because his current occupation is a very acceptable service to the Crown and country.

Last edited by a moderator:
How the heck can being a full-time pilot be viewed as lazy? Just people who want his life to become the Truman Show. The man is essentially like a large part of the population that has more than one job.
And what is the big deal if William once did or still does not want to be King. His grandmother and great-grandfather didn't want the job either, didn't stop them from doing it.

:previous: William has never said he doesn't want to become King. Merely that he is in no hurry to do so. The longer his grandmother and father live, the longer he won't have to worry about the issue and the happier he will be.

Although when Charles does ascend the throne William's life will radically change as he will then become The Heir, with all the responsibilities it entails. If he was still a serving member of the military, he would have to resign and become the full time Crown Prince. Whether or not he becomes Prince of Wales is another issue altogether. But that too can wait until another day.

Of course he will be king one day if he survives his father and grand-mother. He surely is not going to abdicate. But who knows if he really wants to or if he will do it because he was born to it?

Of course he will be king one day if he survives his father and grand-mother. He surely is not going to abdicate. But who knows if he really wants to or if he will do it because he was born to it?
I think we can safely presume that William will be no different from any other Reigning Monarch, he will " do it " because he has an abiding sense that he was " born to it. "

:previous: William has never said he doesn't want to become King. Merely that he is in no hurry to do so. The longer his grandmother and father live, the longer he won't have to worry about the issue and the happier he will be.

Although when Charles does ascend the throne William's life will radically change as he will then become The Heir, with all the responsibilities it entails. If he was still a serving member of the military, he would have to resign and become the full time Crown Prince. Whether or not he becomes Prince of Wales is another issue altogether. But that too can wait until another day.

Excellent post and I agree with you. IMO, William also understands that in order to succeed to the throne then two people that he loves and admires will have died since abdication is not a British tradition. Having experienced the loss of his mother at an early age, it would be safe to say that he is in no hurry to see his grandmother and father pass away any time soon.

IMO, the British royal family is aware that since the Queen is likely to be on the throne for a very long time it is best that the PoW and his heir are both busy with their royal duties and/or a career while they wait their turn to be king. The BRF has more than enough representatives who are full time royals and for the time being the Queen's grandchildren are not full time yet.

What is different compared to several earlier monarchs, is that today's royals do not seem to actively plot the demise of other contenders to the throne, but instead actually love and mourn them. This is such a great testimony to how we as a group of human beings have evolved, culturally. And no, I do not think William is making up his feelings about his father and his grandfather and that he secretly plots to get rid of them. Instead, he seeks meaning in his own career; he does work more than one job; he seems not to expect huge kudos or $ for working two jobs - even though he is an heir as many people (not royal) are also heirs.

He'll be older (old) like his dad, one day, and then he can turn his attention to the one job. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on more job experiences (in one way or another) before he ever sits on a throne.

I agree with you. Though one correction, I think you mean grandmother. Doing away with Prince Philip would gain him little.

I think its been a few centuries since anyone actively tried to get rid of fellow contenders. But I agree, the family seems much closer, than they would have been in past generations. Even the queen with her parents would not have been so close. And I believe Charles and Anne with their mother too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thought occurred to me: is it in the realm of possibility that William (even Harry) would be passed over to be King after Charles? Does the monarch have that ability in England to designate their own heir?

The thought came because of the unusual decisions of William to make such a point of wanting a 'regular life' - whatever that is for someone like him - instead of living the 'regular life' of a royal in his position. In other words he is presenting as not wanting to be who he is - not at ease with it.

Might it be possible for the Queen one day to decide to designate someone else to follow Charles - like Viscount Severn, for example? Or even Anne's son? I say this because these two families gather to the Queen in a way one would expect family to do - while William seems to choose distance.

I've started to think that 'suitability' may mean one day, someone who is designated from among a pool of candidates - choosing one who shows the willingness and aptitude. Maybe its time to start doing that.

Last edited:
I think it require new legislation for that power to appear. Charles could, perhaps, step aside for William.

The Monarch cannot choose who is the heir to the throne. The decision is made through primogeniture following the male line.

I've read these posts with interest. Prince William knows that one day he will be king but not for a while yet, so what exactly is he supposed to do with his time? He has decided that he wants to stay in the military and serve his country. He also knows he can't see active service so he does the next best thing by entering a service that is dedicated to saving lives.

There is no job desciption for roles in the BRF - Prince Charles said that. He "had to make it up as he went along" and has done an amazing job with the Princes Trust etc. Prince William is also finding his own way and at present its military, marraige and possibly family. I don't think he's looking for a way out or doesn't intend to do his duty. We just need to be more patient, and less looking for dark motives.

I think it require new legislation for that power to appear. Charles could, perhaps, step aside for William.

But that's a flashpoint you mention - not what I was suggesting. You have diverted what I am trying to say to something that is an old horse that's been flogged to death. Charles is not going to step aside for William - we all know that.

But what if Charles - or even the present Queen - come to the conclusion that William is proving to not be suitable future King material? What if its clear that William does not want to be King? Your answer is that there would have to be new legislation - the answer you are saying is that a British monarch cannot designate their own heir.

The Monarch cannot choose who is the heir to the throne. The decision is made through primogeniture following the male line.

Thank you. Very to the point. Thank you.

Things can happen, though - I am thinking of the pressure and 'decision' to remove King Edward because of Mrs Simpson. Was there not maneuverings in the government at the time to take the opportunity to shift him out because of his known pro-German sympathies? So these things are not beyond happening.

I am not a fan or un-fan of William - I don't find him attractive but that's a personal thing. I also find him a bit above it all. I expect he's a bit more unpleasant than his fans ascribe to him. I could see him becoming a bit more odd as the years wear on. Not sure he's really suitable to be king given how he behaves and the choices he is making. He appears a little too much - maybe contemptuous - of his family and his future role.

Last edited:
the answer you are saying is that a British monarch cannot designate their own heir.

I thought that was obvious. :whistling: Having the power to designate your own heir, with no limitations would be deadly.

People in line of succession cannot just decide they no longer wish it and opt out (aside from marrying or becoming a Catholic). The monarch cannot simply decide that she wants to change who the heir is. Succession is entirely based on male promogeniture. All such changes would require legislation. Even Edward VIII's famous abdication speech and the signed declaration of intent to abdicate had no legal effect until Parliament passed legislation for the abdication.

Last edited:
People in line of succession cannot just decide they no longer wish it and opt out (aside from marrying a Catholic).

IMHO I think they can. Maybe it needs legislation but I don't think this would be a problem. As there is always the European Court for Human Rights... :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom