Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read what is written carefully before commenting. This is what was written.

"Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was?"

expat said:
Read what is written carefully before commenting. This is what was written.

"Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was?"

Umm no! Can't say I sit round wondering what his name is ! as I wouldn't know him it wouldn't make any difference to me

Obviously the other crew members are of no interest to you, not even the one that is really flying the helicopter.

Who says that William doesn't fly the copter himself? Normally both captain and co-pilot are trained pilots and in order to become a captain himself, the co-pilot has to learn to fly and command the crew, because one day it will be his job do do it and to train the next generation of co-pilots. I agree that most probably the more experienced pilot commanded the crew during that difficult weather conditions but the way the crew shares the jobs on board in any mission is not known. When William decides to go to Lossiemouth after finishing his contract at RAF Valley, he will have a chance to be promoted to Captain himself and become commanding officier on board the SAR-copter. To reach that aim, he needs more training, that's true, but it's not as if he was not actively involved in his missions.

William doesn't fly the helicopter himself. He is a Flight Lieutenant, which is just 2 grades above an Officer Cadet (or sometimes known as a Student Officer). I thought he had already completed his final flying training, but evidentally, that didn't happen and he's now heading for the Falklands to get that done. I believe he has to have this training for promotion or to fly alone. Probably the Falklands are the best possible place to do this. Just the islanders, no visitors, just get the training done. Hope he does well.

As for suitability to be king...he was born to the heir. Nothing else is required; not education, not charity, not military endeavor, not anything at all.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was? There are only pictures of Prince William who was one of a four man crew. From what has been said here it sounds as though all four of them are good king material, then again the genetical link is missing.

Prince William Joins Rescue Effort After Ship Sinks In Irish Sea | Fox News

It seems like you keep moving the goalposts here, expat! You started off earlier in the thread saying William is unsuitable to be King because he "does nothing." Then when it was pointed out that, actually, he holds down a full time job with the RAF in addition to his royal duties, you said that he's not passionate about his job, that he picked it, (or it was picked for him), so that he wouldn't be put in danger. After this weekend, when it was revealed that, in fact, William was co piloting a helicopter rescue mission in weather nasty enough to produce a wave that snapped a boat in half, you said, well, he was only the co pilot, he wasn't flying the helicopter alone, and anyway, what about the other members of his crew, (although according to your own logic William and the other members of the team who aren't the pilot aren't important anyway). Now I'll point out that William seems to be progressing at an appropriate pace through the training that will lead to him one day being the senior member of similar rescue teams and that the other members of the team are equally as valuable as William but, lucky for them, don't have to put up with having their names published in these articles because they're not members of the British royal family. To which you will no doubt come up with yet another comment that attempts to diminish what William has accomplished.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if there's anything specific William could do at this point to make him a suitable future king in your eyes? If you were given full control over his life for, say, the next five years, what things would you change to make him a good future monarch in your eyes?

:previous:
Lovely post, totally agree with your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely fantastic post, I could not agree more.

I dislike having my thoughts interpreted, especially when they are not interpreted well.
Paraphrase as much as you like and draw the conclusions as you want but where did I say he did nothing, I said he has done nothing so far to prove that he will make a good king and that co-piloting a rescue helicopter in bad weather is no indication, at least to me, that he is going to be a great king. I am just thankful that The Queen is so healthy and likely to live a long and useful life yet and that Prince Charles is there to take over, as Prince William although he has all the young girls' hearts beating is still very young and has not proven himself yet.
No, in answer to your question, there is nothing specific he can do to make me anxious for him to be King, I am quite willing to wait and see what happens in the future.
One thing does annoy me though, it is this little sorority of would be sycophants singing his praise whenever he does anything at all.

@Expat: So only a old king is a good king? Then I hope for your sake that you are not old enough to remember the time when young princess Elizabeth became queen at such a young age. Otherwise you surely had some real bad years worrying that she might not be suitable for the job because all she had done before was dabble a bit with mechanics during the war, then married and born a son. Surely in your POV not a suitable CV for a future queen... Really!:ROFLMAO:

...One thing does annoy me though, it is this little sorority of would be sycophants singing his praise whenever he does anything at all.
There's a big middle ground between sycophancy and contempt. Just as I've never felt the need to throw a parade because William had an especially satisfying sneeze I've also never felt the need to belittle his genuine accomplishments.

camelot23ca said:
There's a big middle ground between sycophancy and contempt. Just as I've never felt the need to throw a parade because William had an especially satisfying sneeze I've also never felt the need to belittle his genuine accomplishments.

Agreed completely. :)

William doesn't fly the helicopter himself. He is a Flight Lieutenant, which is just 2 grades above an Officer Cadet (or sometimes known as a Student Officer). I thought he had already completed his final flying training, but evidentally, that didn't happen and he's now heading for the Falklands to get that done. I believe he has to have this training for promotion or to fly alone. Probably the Falklands are the best possible place to do this. Just the islanders, no visitors, just get the training done. Hope he does well.

As for suitability to be king...he was born to the heir. Nothing else is required; not education, not charity, not military endeavor, not anything at all.

O C/SO- Officer Cadet
Pilot Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Flying Officer- 1st Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant- Captain
It is three ranks above Officer Cadet

one other topics
The "training" in the Falkland Islands is part promotion to Pilot from Co-pilot and possibly his rank promotion from Flight Lieutenant to Squadron Leader.

LMAO! Well said! :lol:

Expat- I would be curious as to your answer to Camelot's 2nd question "If you were given full control over his life for, say, the next five years, what things would you change to make him a good future monarch in your eyes?"

In other words- How would YOU train a future monarch?

Expat- I would be curious as to your answer to Camelot's 2nd question "If you were given full control over his life for, say, the next five years, what things would you change to make him a good future monarch in your eyes?"

In other words- How would YOU train a future monarch?

I find the question, though I understand the reason for it, a bit offending. As if a man of thirty years, married and with a full-time professional job needs to be trained like a puppy. I believe he knows very well what to do with his life, having had close contact to his grandmother and father all his life with all three knowing that one day he will be monarch as well. How could Expat teach him something his grandmother and father could not?

But, that was my point, Kataryn. Ex-Pat insinuates that William is 'ill trained' as it were, for his future role. Obviously William is a mature and responsible man who has, I am sure, received a very thorough and ongoing education regarding his current and future roles both with SAR and from BP. Perhaps I should have made it clear that my post was 'tongue in cheek'. I'm sorry you were offended.

Where have you heard that William is fluent in French and Spanish, Marie of The Sea?

William is not fluent in French. I heard him addressing a crowd in Ottawa last summer and I would give him "A" for effort but "F" for fluency.

I'm sure he's now painfully aware of his deficiencies in this area, and would be willing to bet that his next time out his French will be much improved.

William is not fluent in French. I heard him addressing a crowd in Ottawa last summer and I would give him "A" for effort but "F" for fluency.

Was it because of his accent?

Yes what was it exactly that was not fluent? He sounded pretty good to me. He maybe fumbled once or twice but I thought he did well considering.

No worries,The Duke of Cambridge will be groomed through and through by the time he's called to the Throne...any tata on the subject now is just that...bla bla,by people who,with all due respect,haven't got a clue on what's what and requirements for the role other then what has been shown in the Princess diaries by disney...Really...:whistling::lol::lol::lol:..

If HRH would read this thread he would fall over backwards laughing his Royal behind off.......:ROFLMAO:

Yes lucien, you are probably right. And wouldnt that be something if William did peek in on our conversations. He would probably get a laugh out of some of us. :)

I think he will be a good king. And he will be ready to take on his duties. I just wonder when he will become king. Charles is kind of getting up there in age and being its a new era, Charles should just pass the torch to William.

Charles should just pass the torch to William.

Why should Charles give up his right to be King simply because he is older than his son? William has nothing on his father when it comes to being prepared to be a monarch.

I know. I just thought it would be nice to have the new era be in charge. Im not saying Charles wouldnt be good, its just time for a change. Dont you think?

I know. I just thought it would be nice to have the new era be in charge. Im not saying Charles wouldnt be good, its just time for a change. Dont you think?

Certainly not. I believe you're thinking along the lines that because Charles is old , there won't be any change until William comes to the throne yes?
I think it's totally unreasonable that Charles be passed over for his son simple because he was born in the 1980s rather than the 1940s. You can't blame Charles for the fact his mother was a young Queen and by the looks of it has the longevity gene.

Following some peoples logic then William would eventually have to pass his throne onto his own son or grandson simply because he has grown old and well "its time for a change". Hereditary monarchy does not work that way, it passes from generation to generation. New monarchs can be very young or very old but they do not get passed over either way.
For those who want change for changes sake we have Parliaments or in some cases Presidents. They come and go every 4 years or so, that should be enough for the change junkies of this world.

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales would be a new era and it would be a big change from HM the Queen. Prince William should be given the chance to enjoy family life and raise a family before becoming King anyways.

O.k. O.k. I see everyones point. And after careful consideration I can say that I have been too closed minded! I therefore stand down. Boy you all are a tough crowd!! :) But I love it. :)

Back
Top Bottom