Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A royal to star in four episodes of a reality show, doesn't feel right to me.
That is my sentiment as well.

I understand the reality show is aimed at promoting Search and Rescue, at least theoretically, but in reality it looks like an attempt to promote William - hence the majority of negative comments at DM.

"Reality show?" - its a documentary series made by BBC Wales covering all of the crews based at Valley and it includes Prince William because he captain's one of the crews.

Quote from the DM article:
He features in the four-part BBC reality series which starts next month.

I've seen the clip, and it includes interviews (which seem to explain the issues faced by the crews) as well as going out on flights. "Reality series" is, to my mind, the DM being negative. We will have to differ on this one.

EDIT: its in the Telegraph as well and they dont mention "reality series" - well, at least not yet!

I think it's totally appropriate for him to participate in a documentary series about his search and rescue work.

I think he should stay as far away from the camera as humanly possible unless it's 100% necessary. Definition of a reality show - presents unscripted and humorous situations, documents actual events and usually features unknowns instead of professional actors. Documentaries are usually done for a specific reason to preserve something for historical means. I'd class this as reality rather than a documentary.

Last edited:
I think he should stay as far away from the camera as humanly possible unless it's 100% necessary. Definition of a reality show - presents unscripted and humorous situations, documents actual events and usually features unknowns instead of professional actors.

His role as a royal means he'll always be in front of the cameras. Did you feel the same way about Prince Charles participating in the documentaries about the Diamond Jubilee?

And lots of people have mentioned that the fact that he's never seen doing his search and rescue work means people don't see it and don't believe it's happening. Many have mentioned the need for more publicity on the kind of work the younger royals do.

I bet when you see this, it will be fairly harmless. Prince William knows how to give an appropriate and dignified interview.

His role as a royal means he'll always be in front of the cameras. Did you feel the same way about Prince Charles participating in the documentaries about the Diamond Jubilee?

Nope. They can do all they want to promote their own family and honour they're grandmother. It's hard to twist words like "mummy". Yes he'll spend his life in front of the camera's, but it's not voluntary is it?
Whilst I don't disagree that William knows how to give a dignified interview and won't use it as a "dig" to the press. I still think he shouldn't be doing it. Anyone with an ounce of common sense know what SAR workers do, they don't need William to highlight it a few days after the confirmed privatisation annoucement.

Maybe he simply wanted those people who are interested in what he really does as opposed to have fairy tale ideas about the life of a SAR officer or believing he does nothing at all in reality, to see what's actually like to do his job.

The BBC has a worldwide positive reputation for the quality of their documentaries while I was not aware they are into "reality shows" à la "Life of the Kardashians" - plus British TV did some good socumentaries on the Royal family lately, so it is absolutely okay for me while I'M looking forward to seeing the difference to German SAR where my son works.:flowers:

I'm a little surprised that anyone would consider a documentary as a "reality show". I suppose most documentaries are reality-based, but the term "reality show" is a somewhat demeaning, especially considering the topic of this particular one. The Daily Mail is known for ensuring their articles are a little on the dramatic side, so their use of the term "reality series" is nothing more than hype.

I looked up the definition of "reality programme" -

television programmes in which real people are continuously filmed, designed to be entertaining rather than informative.

As this is about how an important service works and the risks and training of the men who do this, I think its a documentary.

However, it doesnt mention formal interviews, where one gains information not about the individuals but the work they do and the outcomes.

Im sticking with documentary. so we'll have to agree to differ.

Republic | Campaign Updates

Democracy group Republic has today challenged the BBC over its continuing role as propagandist-in-chief for the royal family.

The move follows news that the broadcaster will be showing a four part series following prince William in his job as a search and rescue helicopter pilot.

Republic has previously accused the BBC of fawning over the royals and failing in its duty to present them in a fair and unbiased way.

Couldn't help but laugh,

I wonder if those people realize its only airing on bbc wales. The main focus is the profession not William. Him being in it helps shed light on his job in SAR.

Of course this is a documentary. A 'reality' series is a show that follows a bunch of nobodies around as they do little of value, mainly to satisfy the voyeuristic tendencies among a section of the population. The Kaardashians, Made in Chelsea, TOWIE, are reality shows.

If this is a reality show then I suppose 'Our Queen' was a reality show, as was 'The Royal Family at Work', 'The Diamond Queen' etc.

This documentary on the SAR has huge historical significance, given that in a couple of years it will no longer exist. After more than 70 years of putting their lives on the line for others, SAR deserve this opportunity to remind the British public of the vital work they have done over the years and to salute all those who have served, just as it goes out of business.

William's participation is utterly justified and appropriate in that context.

Last edited:
Reality vs. Documentary | The Cornell Daily Sun

From the article:

"Is a “documentary series” different from a so-called “reality series?” To me, the term ‘documentary’ implies some level of artistic innovation, and often, a type of altruistic aspect. A reality show, on the other hand, implies … well … it implies Real Housewives or Jersey Shore."

. Anyone with an ounce of common sense know what SAR workers do, they don't need William to highlight it a few days after the confirmed privatisation annoucement.

Ah but you see, that is the problem.....common sense is not very common at all. Just reading comments in the DM should make that obvious.

RAF is a humorous situations? Is this BBC programs supposed to entertain us?

I don't get how 4 episode documentary that is suppose to inform us is being call a reality show. Might has well call some news programs a reality show.

Last edited:
I don't see how this documentary is any different than the ones that the BRF have done previously. Nor is it any different than the many ones that I've seen from the Danish royal family.

A reality show is scripted, whereas a documentary is not. People that have actually worked on reality shows (crew, actors), have said it's pretty fake. They usually have to film scenes over and over again, and if something happens off camera, they have to re-enact it for the cameras. The producers also give them an outline on what they want them to say/do.

Also, a reality show is mainly meant to entertain, while a documentary is meant to inform.

I really don't see how showing the RAF doing their duties and then getting a few interviews from the crew, is considered a reality show. How is it any different than 'Our Queen', or any of the other documentaries that show the royals doing their work/duties?

Last edited:
BBC News - Prince William features in new Helicopter Rescue TV series

While I am sure humour can be found in most jobs and situations we find ourselves in every day, from the comments made by the RAF participants in the documentary it also is clear that they are very busy and that performing their job can be dangerous to both the crew and the people they are attempting to rescue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a reality show.

We will see how William centric the show is when it comes out. If it's 4 half hour shows, I'd expect 4 featured rescues with pieces about the support crews, communication, bits from survivors, equipment, etc. worked around that. If 4 one hour shows, there may be even more rescues featured. If Wills is only "featured" in one of them, I'll be willing to back off the idea that this is only a royal fluff piece.
In any case, I completely understand why people might have an interest in dangerous rescues and rescue work. We like to watch danger and tense situations - just take a look at the many movies and TV series about cops, firemen, the military, pilots, doctors and paramedics, etc.

William isn't going to be the main focus of this documentary. He'll be featured more in the 1st episode, since the rescue of a little boy by him and his crew, will be a central part of that episode. He'll briefly appear in the other 3 episodes.

According to Richard Palmer, he did one interview and they've split it amongst each episode.

Last edited:
This programme has been made by BBC Wales. The SAR is very important in Wales and Valley is the busiest unit in the UK. I don't think BBC Wales would be making a "fluff" piece about something so important.

I would imagine that this program is going to be more along the lines of Our Queen than... I don't know, Pawn Stars or something. It almost seems as though a part of the future of the monarchy is doing more documentaries and letting the public see more of what they do beyond just the engagements. In my opinion, this is probably a good thing. It seems like it's a forward thinking initiative.

abdication

There needs to not be such a coddling of the next generation. William and Catherine are fully grown adults and should be carrying out at least an engagement every other day, not playing soldier and princess as they seem to be now. I don't care if Catherine's pregnant. It's one of the few jobs she's supposed to do.

Since when is being an SAR pilot considered "playing soldier"? I rather doubt the other SAR personnel would agree with your rather dismissive view of their jobs and I suspect that those that have been rescued by the SAR would really differ with you.
Have you considered the possibility that the DofE does not want to be sidelined, that it is perhaps his continued activity that

Well said. Dismissive comments about on of the most important emergency services in Wales are out of order.
as for the DoE, he is doing fine and is a lot fitter than many. The hollow eyed look is nothing to do with his health, he's been like that for years!

I find it ridiculous that people are so dismissive of William's work in the SAR. He's not doing it just for the PR, and it's not like he's just pretending to be a pilot. It's a legitimate job.

Which I guess people have to dismiss in order to justify the whole argument that William is determined to simply sit in the lap of luxury and live off of taxpayer dollars. People who make these arguments seem determined to simply attack the system of the monarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom