Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can someone who has a full time job in the SAR plus a part time job as a working royal, including overseas tours, be considered lazy by any reasonable person? Seems like a pretty full schedule for anyone.

But the Queen also has a full time job. She received the red boxes every day except Christmas and Easter. Compare to his 86 year old grandmother William has more time for royal duties.

(I personally am not calling William & Kate lazy.) I understand Kate's position as the spouse of a royal in the military. She can only perform a limited number of duties without her spouse. Sarah was in the same position and the press went after her. I suggest that Kate and William since they are stationed in Wales to perform some duties in Wales. This seems to be a missed opportunity on their part. William will be Prince of Wales and since he is stationed there maybe some of his/her duties/patronages might include more Welsh organizations/engagements.

I don't know about William, but Kate is involved in some things in Anglesey. She volunteers with the scouts and goes camping/hiking with them. She's also organized a few bbq's/get togethers for the local scouts.

How can someone who has a full time job in the SAR plus a part time job as a working royal, including overseas tours, be considered lazy by any reasonable person? Seems like a pretty full schedule for anyone.
I agree. I don't understand how some have the perception that William is lazy.

Last edited:
Well maybe Kate should put in A few more appearances while she still has morning sickness She barf on the louboutions of her critics in the press or over their la Croix coats. Teach them to be on the back of pregnant woman! :ROFLMAO:

Well maybe Kate should put in A few more appearances while she still has morning sickness She barf on the louboutions of her critics in the press or over their la Croix coats. Teach them to be on the back of pregnant woman! :ROFLMAO:

Now I know I'm overtired. Reading your post, I got a mental image of the press corps all showing up for a Kate engagement with umbrellas and raincoats on a la Gallagher. Now I can sleep with a smile on my face. :ermm:

I was thinking more Monty Python "Meaning of Life".....

I admire Prince Philip for his dedication to duty but I think he should slow down at his age. I feel as he push himself, he will just end up ill once again.

I do think its better if the younger royals fufill more royal duties.

I don't think we'll see Prince Philip or the Queen voluntarily slow down, ever. They'll work as hard as their physical conditions allow them to, until the end.
I get the impression the importance of 'being useful' was emphasized to people of their generation in a way that it hasn't been to younger people, (I doubt many people brought up in the late 60s and beyond would say that being useful is more important than, say, personal happiness and comfort).

I think QEII and Prince Philip will keep up their current pace - provided their health holds - even if William and Kate do take on more royal duties over the next while.

:previous: I agree. THis idea that William and Catherine can ligten the load is a non-starter. If HMQ and PP wanted to slow down then they would. I think that if they stop, they would give up.

But if anything happens to HMQ and PP which could be linked to "overwork" (tabloid territory) then William and Catherine will be blamed. It's lose/lose for them.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
We were told the announcement about William's career plans would be in the first 2 weeks of Jan but it seems to have slipped.

We were told the announcement about William's career plans would be in the first 2 weeks of Jan but it seems to have slipped.

Still 4 days left of the second week in January, Richie. I wouldn't have expected an announcement to come on a Tuesday, Friday seems more likely.

:previous: I agree. THis idea that William and Catherine can ligten the load is a non-starter. If HMQ and PP wanted to slow down then they would. I think that if they stop, they would give up.

But if anything happens to HMQ and PP which could be linked to "overwork" (tabloid territory) then William and Catherine will be blamed. It's lose/lose for them.
I completely agree. IMHO HM and the DoE have earned the right to spend their years as they see fit. I have no doubt that a man like the DoE will continue working as long as he possibly can. I don't envy those who have to try and keep up with him. ;)

At this point in time none of the Queen's grandchildren are full-time royals and I don't anticipate a change in this until HM and the DoE request it.

I could see Prince William telling his wife on her birthday, but I don't see a public announcement.

There has to be a public announcement from St James's Palace on what William will do about his SAR Military job. Will he stay in the services or will he and Catherine will become fulltime members of the royal family?

I could see Prince William telling his wife on her birthday, but I don't see a public announcement.

I could see the Duke of Cambridge having discussed this at length, then made the decision with the Duchess of Cambridge.

I also think this was a far tougher decision for THEM than it was for those of us here on the forums (who had pretty clear opinions one way or the other).

I can imagine it's a very tough decision for them to make. I guess we just have to brace ourselves for the announcement.

I have a theory that could be totally wrong on why they delayed the announcement. I think if they're going to announce they're taking on full royal duties, they'd want to immediately schedule some engagements to back that up and Kate can't work til February.

I could be totally wrong, but it would explain why the announcement did not take place in the first two weeks of January like we were told previously.

I have a theory that could be totally wrong on why they delayed the announcement. I think if they're going to announce they're taking on full royal duties, they'd want to immediately schedule some engagements to back that up and Kate can't work til February.

I could be totally wrong, but it would explain why the announcement did not take place in the first two weeks of January like we were told previously.
I think you are right:flowers: I believe some engagements will be announced in the next two weeks, so who knows;)

Personally I don't think an annoucement was ever going to be made. I only saw a tweet from one reporting who quoted someone else I think. William's probably made his decision by now, he probably made it a long time ago and I think it'll be for him to stay in the RAF. There's no rush to announce it and Catherine's apparently not due back, if we see her at all, until end of Feb/March time.

I can see Wills staying in the RAF until his unit is privitized. It would make sense, but there would be so much time spent away from Kate, unless there is a barrage of doctors living in the hut with the security people. It will be interesting when we finally are edified.

Sometimes I wonder if, even though decisions have been made, they aren't announced just for the fun of it. Then they can sit back and watch all the speculation and idiotic news musings for the entertainment value.

Sometimes I wonder if, even though decisions have been made, they aren't announced just for the fun of it. Then they can sit back and watch all the speculation and idiotic news musings for the entertainment value.

I agree. There's no real reason to tell us IMO.

I can see Wills staying in the RAF until his unit is privitized. It would make sense, but there would be so much time spent away from Kate, unless there is a barrage of doctors living in the hut with the security people. It will be interesting when we finally are edified.

SAR is due to be privatised this year, although William has some way of staying on until 2016 I think.

IF William can stay in the RAF until his father becomes king, there would be no criticism from me. I think it would be good for him. When one ponders the way his life has changed in the last two years and what is coming with the pregnancy, the discipline of the RAF would, IMO, be a stabilizing entity for him.

Last edited:
I actually hope they do become fuilltime royals this year. Then again, I have to respect William & Catherine's personal choice.

I know them choosing to stay in the military won't be easy for them because William has said this himself. He has mentioned it's getting hard to balance the two (military life and royal duties) and now that he will become a father, I think it will be even harder on him and Catherine. I really don't think life will end for them if they become fulltime royals. They still will have a private life behind palace walls and their other private homes.

I just think with them establishing their permanent home at Kensington Palace and setting up their official court there, I think they are now heading in the fulltime royal direction. It's just time, imo.

Yes, I can't see them living away from London for much longer, for so many reasons.

Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Squadron leader Rimon Than from Prince William's RAF base has died in a Scottish avalanche

Squadron Leader Than, who worked at RAF Valley, was one of three people killed in the Cairngorms avalanche yesterday.

Last edited:
Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Squadron leader Rimon Than from Prince William's RAF base has died in a Scottish avalanche

Squadron Leader Than, who worked at RAF Valley, was one of three people killed in the Cairngorms avalanche yesterday.

Terrible news.

I actually hope they do become fuilltime royals this year. Then again, I have to respect William & Catherine's personal choice.

I know them choosing to stay in the military won't be easy for them because William has said this himself. He has mentioned it's getting hard to balance the two (military life and royal duties) and now that he will become a father, I think it will be even harder on him and Catherine. I really don't think life will end for them if they become fulltime royals. They still will have a private life behind palace walls and their other private homes.

I just think with them establishing their permanent home at Kensington Palace and setting up their official court there, I think they are now heading in the fulltime royal direction. It's just time, imo.

Thanks for a well-though-out comment. I think their life would be better, too, as full time royals. Much easier for Kate, for sure. I know many, many families who are seprated for long periods of time as one or both opted for a military career/stint and it is very difficult for the spouse left behind and for the children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom