Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.

I'm sure that he'd rather it not be singled out either. Its what they do. Its a team effort and when they do go on missions, getting fame and glory and recognition is the last thing on their minds.

There is a positive side to the publicity though in that it does highlight the work done by Search and Rescue teams everyday, work that went largely unnoticed by the general public until William joined the service.

The cargo ship 'The Swanland' was struck by a massive wave & broke in 2 & then sank early on Sunday morning in the Irish Sea.

Weather conditions were dreadful,we had almost hurricane strenght winds here on late Saturday night/Early Sunday morning.

The search for the missing 5 men resumed this morning.

BBC News - Search for crew of sunken Swanland to resume

This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.
No, it's not just you. But it seems that the MOD are pleased to announce his participation so I guess they think any publicity is good publicity.

Me, if we have to know who's in the chopper, I would like to know who all the very talented Pilot and crew member's were. After all, it takes a crew to do the job!

No, it's not just you. But it seems that the MOD are pleased to announce his participation so I guess they think any publicity is good publicity.

Me, if we have to know who's in the chopper, I would like to know who all the very talented Pilot and crew member's were. After all, it takes a crew to do the job!

Well, SAR staff are unsung heros. And most like it that way. Now they have one the media is already "singing" about, so why not let them? After all, at the moment they are in dire financial straits and need as much positive media coverage as they can get. At least people now know how important the SAR work is.

:previous:That's a bit of news. It will be interesting to see what they give Wills to do. Perhaps he won't go to the Falklands now...anyone know anything else about the privitazation of the search and rescue?

Last edited:
:previous:That's a bit of news. It will be interesting to see what they give Wills to do. Perhaps he won't go to the Falklands now...anyone know anything else about the privitazation of the search and rescue?

He will be off to the Falklands,regardless what rags write...:)

Privatization isn't done in a jiffy tho,it will yake a while,no worries.

Privatization isn't done in a jiffy tho,it will yake a while,no worries.

Last I've read is that the privatization of SAR will be taking effect in 2013. That's about the time that Wills is scheduled to end his tour of duty with them.

With the slowing down of the DoE as far as his workload goes, it seems more than likely now that Wills will become a full time working royal whereas before I was willing to bet that if he could, he'd sign up for another stint with SAR. He really seems to enjoy his work with them.

Perhaps what the 'rags' won't affect whether he goes, but the politicians making the decision might. Williams involvement in this potential tour could be cancelled at any moment for any reason.

The Times is reporting that Prince William will travel to the Falklands tomorrow, 1 February:

Prince William will arrive on an RAF-chartered jet at Mount Pleasant after an 18-hour flight from Britain, with a brief stop at Ascension Island. He will quickly be put to work behind the controls of one of two search-and-rescue helicopters that are on call 24 hours a day, flying out of a sprawling military base that surrounds the airport, a 45-minute drive from Stanley, the islands’ capital.

Agreed. Be careful William. We all are sending our best wishes for a safe and uneventful time away. :)

I second all good wishes for a safe deployment. He has a great deal at home to come back to.

Good luck William, please please for God's sake come home safely!

Thanks for the update - and he'll be there for six months. That's hard, for newlyweds. But it also builds character.

:previous: Thank you. You just beat me to the punch! The way people are going on you'd think they'd posted him to the front lines in Afghanistan as a Squaddie!

He is in no more danger there than he is at any time whilst doing his job in Wales. SAR is serious and dangerous work wherever you are in the world.

He'll be in the Falkland Islands for six weeks, not six months :flowers:

Straighten up and fly right and go left when ya needs to. Keep a good battery in your cell phone and laptop and know us at TRF are your invisible wings.

Hope Prince William does well during his Falklands training!

:previous: Thank you. You just beat me to the punch! The way people are going on you'd think they'd posted him to the front lines in Afghanistan as a Squaddie!

He is in no more danger there than he is at any time whilst doing his job in Wales. SAR is serious and dangerous work wherever you are in the world.

Couldn't agree more, he's only doing his job.

His doing his job and is very well protected because of his role in BRF. Six weeks is not so long IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom