Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I don't totally discount the story, having checked the RAF news site, there does not appear to be any such news? Any help from someone who has the announcement, would be appreciated. :flowers:

RAF - News by Date
Ministry of Defence | Defence News

Although the conditions in the Falklands can be tough when executing a rescue or training exercises, the scenery is fantastic.

Two of ours have had postings to The Falklands (stopover at the Ascension Islands normally) and really enjoyed the hospitality of the locals. They came back with photos of Dolphins they had taken from the helicopters, Elephant Seals and 100's of birds, (feathered variety)

Fantastic scenery? Good hospitality? Their fall and winter would be our spring and summer. Hmmmm. Sounds like a nice place for a couple of Royal newlyweds.;):flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic scenery? Good hospitality? Their fall and winter would be our spring and summer. Hmmmm. Sounds like a nice place for a couple of Royal newlyweds.;):flowers:

Could a spouse go along on a placement like this one? I don't know enough about the British military to know if wives or husbands are allowed to relocate to a base like this.

Sar

The training that William has done has been a very important one for himself. The experience is invaluable, and I think that once he has started something, that he will finish it completely.

Didn't Elizabeth go with Phillip to Malta?
If Kate and William do get married surely they would be able to spend sometime together, if William was on Military training. ???
But didn't William say he wouldn't get married until his training was over??
x

Could a spouse go along on a placement like this one? I don't know enough about the British military to know if wives or husbands are allowed to relocate to a base like this.
Things might be different now, (a few years down the line) but spouses were only allowed to visit. Some take weekend leave and meet up on the Ascension Islands, but unless they have applied for and received an entry permit, they would be stuck on the MOD base. Mine were lucky, as one of the uncles was based on the Ascension Island, so they were able to stay there.:flowers:

Didn't Elizabeth go with Phillip to Malta?
If Kate and William do get married surely they would be able to spend sometime together, if William was on Military training. ???
But didn't William say he wouldn't get married until his training was over??
x

Yes, she did; I suppose it's possible that they could, depending on where he's posted; and third, the only bit we've heard is a second-hand quote that basically said he wanted to focus on the military at the moment. I think the only thing we've heard from William about marriage is the 28-or-30 quote from a few years ago.

Things might be different now, (a few years down the line) but spouses were only allowed to visit. Some take weekend leave and meet up on the Ascension Islands, but unless they have applied for and received an entry permit, they would be stuck on the MOD base. Mine were lucky, as one of the uncles was based on the Ascension Island, so they were able to stay there.:flowers:

Thanks, Skydragon! I knew you'd have the inside track. :flowers:

Perhaps an editor "jumped the gun" on this one. Is that possible?:rolleyes:

Is he up in rank now in the RAF if so shouldnt he be a full Captain in the Army or since Prince Henry has Royal Military precedence will he have to become Captain first? Thanks in advance for any reply to my question.

Why would Harry have to get promotion before William (other than Harry's extra experience in having been commissioned first)?
Harry has been promoted I believe.
Surely, at some point merit comes into the promotions.

If Harry or William deserve the promotions then they should get them, regardless of whether the other brother has received one or not. In other words William shouldn't be denied an earned promotion because Harry hasn't got the equilavant promotion based on time of service, or vice versa, Harry shouldn't be denied a promotion because William hasn't been promoted. They are individuals and should be treated, and promoted, accordingly - when they meet the requirements of that promotion and nothing about what the brother has done should enter into it.

Wuld fact that WIlliam had uni degree when entered Sandhurst have any effect on when he gets promoted in either Army which is currently not in or in the RAF? I think at the moment he is a training Flt LT since he is doing his SAR training and when he finished with training and stationed at a SAR/RAF base and able to do recue missions he'll be a actual Flt LT. Is William a Flt Lt which would be a Captain in the Army or id he Flying Officer?

William was promoted to Lieutenant in December 2007. As ranking is different within the RAF from the Army, there is not always an equivalent rank.
Promotions are almost always awarded on time served, although this might be bypassed for William, (I hope not though). Harry, of course is already a full Lieutenant because he has been in longer. :flowers:

Promotions are almost always awarded on time served, although this might be bypassed for William, (I hope not though).

But you know this will happen - one day he will bei a Marshall, no matter what!;)

SAR training

I have a question about William and his training. It may be silly but I was wondering if he will on search for and rescue duty for the British military who are lost in combat. Or will it be people who are lost because of a natural disaster?

Can someone remind me what William's intentions are with regard to his career and when he will start doing official duties full time?

From the Prince of Wales official site regarding William's training.

Prince William has begun training to become a fully operational RAF Search and Rescue Pilot. The training will take approximately 18-20 months, and officers usually serve a tour of approximately 30-36 months following successful completion of training.
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/personalprofiles/princewilliamprinceharry/princewilliam/atwork/militarycareer/index.html
So going by this, William started his SAR training in January 2009, so should finish either June 2010 or August 2010. Three years' service will take him to 2013 before he starts fulltime royal duties, that is if he doesn't extend his service.

Interesting...then I would think William may not marry before 2013. I just have this feeling that he and Kate will only marry when both are free to take up royal duties full-time or mostly full-time. Kate won't work once she's married to William, but she has to do something, and I can't see her carrying out royal duties by herself if William is off being a SAR pilot.

I got the impression from earlier media reports that his work will include searching for and rescuing people in the area around the UK, including those in trouble at sea.

I have a question about William and his training. It may be silly but I was wondering if he will on search for and rescue duty for the British military who are lost in combat. Or will it be people who are lost because of a natural disaster?

Anyone who is lost can be rescued by SAR in Britian so mountaineers, down planes, natural disasters, war, etc.

He will be deployed somewhere but highly unlikely he will be deployed to Afghanistan, in my opinion, although he has implied, if not stated explicitly, that that is what he would like - to fully utilise the training he has received.

:previous: I like that picture from the article of Prince William's RAF flight graduation this month. Prince Charles looks so proud of his son.

I think that this kind of training would be stressful enough, although certainly not as nerve-wracking as the real thing.

It does sound scarey! They said he "passed with flying colours" so he must have done really well. :)

Prince William will serve with RAF in Ulster

Prince William has been cleared to serve with the RAF in Northern Ireland despite an upsurge in dissident republican violence in the province.

The future King, in the final stages of his training to be an RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot, will become the first member of the Royal Family to serve with the forces in Ulster since the Troubles began more than 40 years ago.

After reading the article, I think that it's a misleading headline. The idea is that William might possibly have to work in Northern Ireland because he could be called to go anywhere in the UK with search and rescue. It's not like he's been posted there. Makes a great headline, though!;)

It would come neatly after William's Royal Air Force career transitions in January 2011, when he leaves the RAF helicopter school at Shawbury and becomes an operational pilot ready for a three-year search-and-rescue tour of duty.

In this article it states William will be finished with RAF training in January 2011, however it was my understanding that he graduates in the fall of this year?

:previous: I think this quote is from the Tina Brown story. I would take what she said with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom