Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt he will step up his official duties though.

I have no doubt he will step up his official duties though.

i don't. KP is making a very clear distinction between royal duties, charity work and public service. quote from The Times

However in a signal that William is once again determined to do things his way, Kensington Palace said he was not becoming a full-time working member of the Royal Family.

Instead, in a third way which has not been considered by most royal observers the Duke, 31, will do more charity and conservation work as well as royal duties. Tonight, accompanied by the Duchess, he will present inaugural conservation awards for the Tusk Trust, the African wildlife charity of which he is royal patron.

He will also be taking his time over the next year to consider what form of public service he wants to undertake.
END

Except for the fact that Prince William is in line to become King, he has the wealth (from his mother) to simply retire and spend his days playing with George. He has no financial need to ever work again.
But I just don't see the Palace and the media letting Prince William not take on royal duties after leaving the military. The Queen has lived a life of duty and probably does not see the need for his parents to focus all their time with Prince George. And the media needs lots of pictures and stories of the royal couple to sell their magazines.

I agree. It's just time for them to step up their game.

I agree as well. I knew the last time that Prince Philip was in the hospital that something along these lines would happen. Although, I have to admit that I didn't expect him to leave the armed forces completely. This next year should be interesting. And just as a side note, I do like the way that William is very deliberate in his announcements, I think that he and Harry (and their staff) are more media savvy than I gave them credit for. They have definitely learned from others past mistakes.

I think this is just William speak. He doesn't want to say "full-time" but basically he will be taking a major step up to what amounts to full-time duties. it will take a bit of time to find his niche but make no mistake we will see a lot more of the Cambridges in the coming year.

Yes, because I consider charitable work in any capacity a "royal duty" when it comes to this family, I mean, that's what they all do in some form or another. Let them call it what they will, I'm just thrilled that William is taking the next step in his life!

I would imagine that William is sad to be leaving his military days behind him, but I'm glad he got to spend as much in the military as he did, as it's important work and seemed to really mean a lot to him. I am very excited to see how he and Kate transition into this next phase in their lives. I am particularly interested in seeing what they mean by the "public service" options he is looking at . . . the wording of it sounds as if that might be something different from typical royal duties? Hard to tell with these things sometimes.

While William searches for his niche and will expand his involvement in charities he values - I do not see him spending his days opening hospitals wings, dedicating buildings, etc. Much like the standard royal engagement/duties. Also I suspect that much of Williams activities with his charities will be outside the media glare.

I also hope we all remember this when the report on the "hardest working royal" comes out and Williams and Catherine are more toward the bottom than Princess Anne's schedule

I don't doubt for a minute HE (and his inner circle) know exactly what he is going to be doing - he is just not in a position to announce it yet. but I agree - we will be seeing more of the Cambridges in a public capacity.

I wonder if they will attend state dinners now?

I don't doubt for a minute HE (and his inner circle) know exactly what he is going to be doing - he is just not in a position to announce it yet. but I agree - we will be seeing more of the Cambridges in a public capacity.

I wonder if they will attend state dinners now?

I think it's possible now.

Prince William has left the RAF - but we're none the wiser on what the future holds for him:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-william-left-raf---2269111

Last edited:
Conservation and endangered species?

Will he be working to to save the giraffes? :p

Conservation and endangered species?

Will he be working to to save the giraffes? :p

But of course! Our giraffes are a most honored species and quite beautiful to look at.

Y'know, most parents love taking their children to the zoo. George's parents are working on having a healthy world wide zoo for all children to enjoy. I like that.

:cool:

IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.

Further, Williams so-called press officer/s are paid by the POW, and I doubt that he/she/they are truly independent; almost certainly, his/their press releases are vetted by the spin doctors who pay their salaries. JMO.

IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.

HM and Charles do not have to do anything to ensure he'll be king. The only thing that would prevent that is Charles' death.

@Osipi. But they can almost certainly ensure, care of their well-paid spin-doctors, that the general UK populace does not rebel. Happily, such is not the case in some of the Realm countries.

Not a typical gap year. William will have his plate full over the next year until he is dubbed a full-time royal (whatever that is)

I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.

@Lumutqueen. I disagree. IMO, it is in the best interests of the POW to have William perceived, in popular opinion, as lazy. After all, the formula worked, in Kates case.

@Lumutqueen. I disagree. IMO, it is in the best interests of the POW to have William perceived, in popular opinion, as lazy. After all, the formula worked, in Kates case.

And why would it be in the best interests of Charles to make his son look bad? To stop the cries of "skip Charles, we want William"? They stopped years ago. :lol:

Oh dear, what a way to end a relatively productive military career . . . all the positive swept away by the very bad handling of KP. Instead of Prince William, the Rescue Pilot and occasional Royal Bash we get the occasional royal bash and a blather fest trying to obfuscate his future plans . . . if any.

Into this, I am sure unintentional, vacuum, we get a microscope suddenly zoomed in on William and Catherine. She will get some slack because she is a new mother and, regardless of the fact that she does not have to work, a certain amount is expected. Now William is different altogether. Instead of gracefully winding down his Military service and stepping up his Royal duties . . . he's taking a Gap Year? What is that pray tell. Is he going to be a house husband, play polo, or just try to throw dust in our eyes.

To be honest, I could actually respect him if he announced he was going to do exactly that . . . take time to be a family and enjoy a freedom that will never come again. Whilst not admirable it is not despicable either. But instead we get an adolescent Gap Year. I thought he'd already had one!

I have to say I was surprises but maybe we should have expected that... It's a fact the Queen is slowing her duties a bit and Charles and William anre taking on more duties. I think it is right... after all Charles is the next king and William the king after. At the age of 31 he is young and mature enought to start the career as a "full royal".
Anyway I think he must feel sad for leaving RAF. However, inevitable

@Marg. Take heart. What we are all reading now is Clarence House/backed by Buck House spin, in order to ensure that the masses understand that Charles is the better man--better than William. Never mind that we all know that Charles is a self-confessed adulterer--hard to get that crass, I know. And Charles is also oh-so-smart--until you compare his academic record to Williams. Nor should we forget that Williams press officer is in Charles pay.

But never mind. Charles is wonderful and his son-and-heir is just a lazy Spencer upstart.

@Marg. Take heart. What we are all reading now is Clarence House/backed by Buck House spin, in order to ensure that the masses understand that Charles is the better man--better than William. Never mind that we all know that Charles is a self-confessed adulterer--hard to get that crass, I know. And Charles is also oh-so-smart--until you compare his academic record to Williams. Nor should we forget that Williams press officer is in Charles pay.

But never mind. Charles is wonderful and his son-and-heir is just a lazy Spencer upstart.

The masses don't need to understand anything, but I think you do. :whistling::whistling:

Empress Jo, there are appropriate forums around here for you to discuss your feelings about the Prince of Wales, but the thread about Prince Williams's service is not one of them

You really don't have any clue who Charles and William are do you? I think if you take time and really peruse the wealth of information to be found in the different threads for the POW and William, you just might see the "real" people and what their accomplishments and goals are.

Its sad that you're basing just about everything you write on either William and/or Charles focuses on dredging up the ancient bones of time long gone by.
This forum is for sharing opinions and discussion and to be honest, I think your name calling and flaming of members of the royal family is appalling.

OH.. just to clarify, Clarence House PR is for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Kensington Palace is the base for William, Kate and Harry's staff. They are both separate entities and I'm sure they have many more important things to do than any kind of internal "my dog is better than your dog" kind of nonsense.

I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.
Do you know more about the Duke's plans for the transitional year ahead than might be in the public domain, or is this just another value judgement based on conjecture?

I suppose the announcement can be interpreted in many ways and I do have to agree that using the term "gap year" is kind of misleading. They do mention that he will spend the year trying to figure out just what in public service or charities he'll be working in.

For all we know, he could be looking into interning somewhere to get CEO experience at handling the top dog job with an international foundation, eventually perhaps heading the Prince's Trust even. I'd much rather see William do something like this and be prepared in the future to fully step into whatever he does rather than just fill up his date book, wave at the crowds and pose for photo ops.

I don't see this as just lazing about for a year and doing a few engagements here and there but rather as a trial and error testing period to find out just where his strengths and weaknesses might be.

Then again, he could become an expert on children's shows staying home watching TV with George and play video games. Whatever he will be doing, I have to believe that he has the support of all of his family and if its OK by them, its OK by me. :D

Richard Palmer has a good article in the express about William's plans. It mentions that William will do some investitures for the queen like his dad and aunt does. Also he is going to learn about the duchy of Cornwall and spend more time with the work of the royal foundation. It also mentions that he might take a public sector job with the govt such as in the foreign office or mod. for a couple of years.

We haven't had 2 adult heir for over 100 years. William isn't king or prince of wales. Let him find his own way to help. A lot of royals work is done behind the scenes meeting people and bringing people together. Look at announcement yesterday about William bringing several charities together with the royal foundation to help increase awareness about poaching.

From what I have read, William will be doing stepping up is royal duties and his charity work with the support of Catherine. His royal duties will now include Investitures on behalf of The Queen. Up to now, only The Queen, Charles and Anne performed this task. I'm guessing William & Catherine will attend some of the very important royal events like State Banquets and the reception for the Diplomatic Corps.

I think we'll see Catherine step up her royal and charitable role.

I think the "transition" idea is just to give them some time to build up their royal and charitable roles. They won't be performing 400 to 500 official engagements over night. It took years for the other royals to build up their royal roles to what it is today. It takes time for it to happen.

I'm looking forward to seeing what roles and new charitable ventures the couple will embark on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom