Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful news. That is quite the achievement.

How absolutely wonderful for William, it's gonna be exciting to see if that has an effect on his choice to stay or leave the Search and Rescue in order to carry out more official engagements.

Well done, Your Highness! This is quite an achievement.

This is hardly a surprise - the surprise would have been if he had failed to earn the promotion at the appropriate point as that would indicate that he wasn't up to the job of leading.

He has done the necessary time at the lower ranks and he has completed the necessary training e.g. the time in the Falklands.

This should have no impact on his decision to stay for another term or leave. The bigger factor in that decision has to be the needs of the royal family to have him working on their behalf rather than hiding away in Wales.

ghost_night554 said:
Soo I said I'd stay away ya ya I know I have issues anyways interesting read
Airman Prince William could become part-time helicopter instructor - Telegraph

Interesting. I think if this were to happen, it would be the best option. William could have the best of both worlds. It's obvious that he enjoys serving as a search-and-rescue pilot, and doesn't care too much for giving it up, but if he gets to instruct, he can still do what he loves, just in a different capacity. Having a more flexible schedule will be great for doing more royal duties. I sincerely hope this turns out how he wants.

This story has hit the Danish news today, sorry if you already have covered the story.

Prins William redder nødstedt teenage-pige - Royale | www.bt.dk

The tabloid BT quotes the Telegraph for writing that Prince William was the pilot on a helicopter that rescued a sixteen years old girl a few days ago.

The girl had been trying to save her younger, thirteen year old sister, when she got in serious trouble herself.

The older girl was rescued by the helicopter crew, she suffered from bruises, she had swallowed some water and she was in shock.
It was a close call!
Her younger sister managed to reach the shore.

- I think the crews on these helicopters do a tremendous job - in all countries.
That William is one among many professional pilot and one among a crew, does not detract anything from him in my eyes.
He took a very active part in saving a life, that's more than most people do during their entire lives.

It's been discussed in Williams current events thread. I'm surprised it travelled over to Denmark.

I'm constantly grateful that there are so many people, in the armed forces and emergency services, who are willing to put their own lives at risk to try and ensure the safety of complete strangers. What would we do without them?

In William's case, he could have chosen to spend his time in the armed forces sitting behind a desk at the MOD. The fact that he hasn't speaks well of his character and of his potential as a future sovereign and head of the armed services.

It's been discussed in Williams current events thread. I'm surprised it travelled over to Denmark.

It made CNN news yesterday too. Hubby saw it and said "what's the big deal? Its what people do for a living in that field. I've rescued people and didn't even make the local paper." :D

It made CNN news yesterday too. Hubby saw it and said "what's the big deal? Its what people do for a living in that field. I've rescued people and didn't even make the local paper." :D

Well done Prince William!:flowers:

Well done Prince William!:flowers:

Don't get me wrong here... I most definitely do admire William in his choice of profession as he truly is serving the people of his country and I've read how much he really loves what he does. I just don't think its breaking international news. :flowers:

It is only news because he is a Prince and 2nd in line to the Throne. How many people in that position are serving in such a dangerous job.

EIIR said:
I'm constantly grateful that there are so many people, in the armed forces and emergency services, who are willing to put their own lives at risk to try and ensure the safety of complete strangers. What would we do without them?

In William's case, he could have chosen to spend his time in the armed forces sitting behind a desk at the MOD. The fact that he hasn't speaks well of his character and of his potential as a future sovereign and head of the armed services.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Those men and women that put their lives on the line to help others are heroes and deserve all the praise and credit. Williams's choice to be in this branch says a great deal about his attitude in regards to making a difference and helping others; he wants to be actively involved, not just sit on the sidelines. He will make a great Prince of Wales and monarch when his time comes.

Its not William that made this a news story, it is the press that decides that but it does raise the profile of those who perform the same job around the country which has to be a good thing in an era of cut backs and privatization.

NGalitzine said:
Its not William that made this a news story, it is the press that decides that but it does raise the profile of those who perform the same job around the country which has to be a good thing in an era of cut backs and privatization.

It's also been a pretty "slow" news week, though there are plenty of things that the media should be talking about...

Don't get me wrong here... I most definitely do admire William in his choice of profession as he truly is serving the people of his country and I've read how much he really loves what he does. I just don't think its breaking international news. :flowers:
It never was "breaking international news". It was reported with the same urgency as other celebrity news; David Cameron's wife Samantha looking good in a bikini on their vacation, Colin Firth attending a red carpet event....

It never was "breaking international news". It was reported with the same urgency as other celebrity news; David Cameron's wife Samantha looking good in a bikini on their vacation, Colin Firth attending a red carpet event....

On our satellite service, you can switch to a CNN service that lists blips of things happening around the world. William's blip was in with the major world headlines of the day with happenings in Syria and Assange (or however you spell it) seeking to go to Ecuador. Come to think of it, so was the news that the DoE had been admitted to the hospital again. As my internet was on the fritz for a few days last week, I did get some of the BRF news and the withdrawal wasn't so bad. :).

I think its becoming obvious that William is being followed more and more as a world figure and it won't be too far off in the future that he is going to need to step up his royal duties. A year ago or so I would have put my money on William doing another 3 years of service if he could possibly do it (without SAR being privatized) but over this past year, there's been so many reasons that point to him taking up full time royal duties in 2013.

I think that this article is silly. The Cambridges' children will likely have official photographs taken once in a while and, when of appropriate age, appear at the usual Royal Family events--no matter what William will be doing in the next few years. I firmly believe that if William and Catherine take up full-time Royal duties in the near future (i.e. some time after the first baby is born), the media will come close to ignoring William's father and step-mother except for Big News. That won't be good for either generation of Royal couples.

Charles and Camilla will come to the throne as OAPs and although ageism is ugly, its a fact of life and the future of the monarchy in Britain lies with W&C and to a lesser extent Harry

By W&C putting off being seen will not make Charles more popular. His popularity is down over 25 points since 1984.
William needs to shelve the Army and start to man up to his destiny and leave the military career to Harry.

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla will come to the throne as OAPs and although ageism is ugly, its a fact of life and the future of the monarchy in Britain lies with W&C and to a lesser extent Harry

By W&C putting off being seen will not make Charles more popular. His popularity is down over 25 points since 1984.
William needs to shelve the Army and start to man up to his destiny and leave the military career to Harry.

I would agree with this.

David Blevins ‏@skydavidblevins Prince William ignored the security threat in N. Ireland to airlift an ill baby from Antrim Hospital to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne last Saturday.

There is one set of parents out there today that are probably very grateful that he ignored the security threat too especially this close to Christmas.

I really wish that royal engagements were not so much of a pressure on William and that he could spend another tour of duty with the RAF in Anglesy. He very much loves what he is doing and probably finds it very rewarding. On the other hand, he cares deeply for his family and has inherited a sense of doing the right thing from his dad and granny.

Its heartwarming to read that both William and Harry are so good at what they're doing and are making a difference. The UK has very good reason to be proud of both of them.

I think with the DoE slowing down, and the baby coming, this is a natural place to finish with the RAF and take up additional royal duties.. The two older generations are really not spring chickens any more.

I think with the DoE slowing down, and the baby coming, this is a natural place to finish with the RAF and take up additional royal duties.. The two older generations are really not spring chickens any more.

I have no doubts in my mind that William realizes that its time that he steps up and starts on the job he was born to do and will do it full steam ahead with no regrets. The Cambridges will probably always remember fondly their time in Wales much as the Queen and the DoE remember Malta.

There is one set of parents out there today that are probably very grateful that he ignored the security threat too especially this close to Christmas.

I really wish that royal engagements were not so much of a pressure on William and that he could spend another tour of duty with the RAF in Anglesy. He very much loves what he is doing and probably finds it very rewarding. On the other hand, he cares deeply for his family and has inherited a sense of doing the right thing from his dad and granny.

Its heartwarming to read that both William and Harry are so good at what they're doing and are making a difference. The UK has very good reason to be proud of both of them.
I would definitely agree with this.

I think he might choose to forgo the military for the royal duties... but if given a chance I think he would stick with it for a few more years. Lord knows it would make Charles happy to keep his son out of the picture for a bit more... I'm not saying he doesn't want his son around, but he already gets passed over attention wise so much... throwing Prince William into full time Royal Duties would upset that balance even more I think.

(By the way, not trying to start an argument lol, just stating an opinion) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom