Prince William: Visit to New Zealand and Australia - January 17-21, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there were certainly more than a dozen people there.
I don't think it's fair for them to compare this trip with the Queen's trip many many years ago. The video footage shows when the Queen and Philip did a walkabout through the community. William hasn't done anything like that. And I think security is really tight, which is understandable.

Another thing to remember that it is summer down under and waiting around in the hot sun to see some foreign prince is not high on the agenda for a lot of people - going to the beach or a pool is a much higher priority.

Many people are still on their summer holidays as well, with schools in both countries still on their summer breaks (not returning in most cases until next week or even the first week in February)

I am sure that when he is an area where the public can see him that there will be crowds there.

Awesome pics Iceflower! I'm amazed that he doesn't even look jet lagged. And to go straight into his visits. It looks like he has a busy schedule. Thanks Michael1992.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince William's unoffocial January 2010 trip to Australia-itinerary

Tuesday, 19 January: Sydney, Australia
  • Low-key (i.e. non-ceremonial) arrival followed by greeting by Governor-General Ms. Quentin Bryce at Admiralty House in Sydney. Lunch and meeting with prominent young Australians.
  • Visit to Community Centre for Aboriginal and Indigenous peoples in an inner Sydney suburb with traditional Aboriginal welcome. Tour of center and meeting with people who use its services.
  • Visit to the Governor of New South Wales, Dr Marie Bashir, at Government House.
  • Private evening.
Wednesday, 20 January: Sydney, Australia
  • Visit to Holsworthy Barracks near Sydney. Will join soldiers from 3rd Battalion The Royal Australian Regiment in live fire training at the barracks' Marksmanship Training Range. Private meeting with Special Operations Command soldiers.
  • Visit to Southern Surveyor, environmental research ship, in Sydney. Visit with scientists and tour of technology.
  • Barbecue lunch hosted by Kristina Keneally, Premier of New South Wales. Invitation to speak.
  • Private afternoon in Sydney.
Thursday, 21 January: Melbourne, Australia
  • Travel to Melbourne, Victoria.
  • Visits to areas affected by the severe February 2009 wildfires. Here, he will represent the Royal Family and will see the recovery work.
  • Briefing on the February disaster by emergency services on the February disaster.
  • Visit to areas affected.
  • Attendance at community event held in the area affected by fires. Meeting with people who lost their homes and planting of symbolic tree. Barbecue and sports match.
  • Visit to Educational Centre, which is being rebuilt.
  • Visit to Prof. David de Kretser, Governor of Victoria, at Government House.
  • Attendance at Victoria’s Australia Day reception, hosted by the Governor and Victoria's Premier John Brumby. Speech, meeting with the public, and planting of a new tree, following a British Royal family tradition.
  • Private evening.
  • Scheduled flight to London

Formality and the Future

So is this a move away from more formal trips since there were no formal dinners just BBQs?

If so this disappoints me, as what makes royals interesting to me is the formality. As William gets older and marries I look forward to seeing his wife in gowns, tiaras and suits during the day. I hope this this informal nature does not prevail once William marries and becomes a full time royal.

There would be nothing as formal as a state dinner, because William isn't a Head of State. If Prince Charles were there, I imagine that there'd be more formality and glitter. :flowers:

William is a young man and does seem to avoid the formal occasions as much as possible.

In addition, the idea of BBQs would make him seem more normal and down to earth to the average Kiwi and Aussie at this time of the year when we do a lot of that sort of thing.

Formal dinners don't appeal to the young people and remember that a large part of this trip is to stop the young people from becoming republicans so that want to present a future monarch who enjoys the things that they do - no formality and BBQs.

I've just finished reading News.com.au | News from Australia and around the world online | NewsComAu website regarding his visit to Australia. Got myself so worked up because not many people here in Australia don't think highly of the royalty. I guess the 'tall poppy syndrome' and the wanting of being a republic play a major part.

I think it is more a matter that many people, if not most Australians, don't see William and his family as being all that relevant to us any more and so many question why he is coming here. Some see it as a token - the obligatory visit to see Aborginal elders - will anything change for the Aboriginal people as a result - no- the obligatory picture with children so people can say 'How cute' and "He is so like his mother" etc when in fact he is coming here and doing nothing of any significance - really most people will get a very short chance to see him drive by tomorrow as he goes to a BBQ. Big Deal. If this was a serious tour he would be here for a couple of months and visit all states and territories and really get to know the place but three days in nothing.

If this was supposed to dampen the republic I think it has misfired based on the comments in the papers with more seeming negative rather than positive about the visit - regardless of which paper - Telegraph, Herald etc.

But there is no way for William to stay in either Australia or NZ for months due to his training actually the better question is has any royal ever stayed months in one country? I don't think even the Queen has done anything like that and she seems to understand the country just fine. I just feel he will get to know the country it will just take time, and probably a couple of visits, I mean he's only in his late 20's he's still got a heck of a lot of time till he ascends to throne.

ETA: ok so I was wrong the Queen has done a 6 month tour of the commonwealth.

Last edited:
I think its the right decision to present William in a quite low key and natural, down to earth way. He is neither the monarch, nor the heir to the throne at this stage. Pomp and ceremony will come with William moving into these positions.

He is a young man at the beginning of his long life of duty and in this difficult political environment it's the best way to win people over by presenting him the way it is currently done in NZ and AUS, the "human" or "natural" side of monarchy. William is a great role model / ambassador in that sense, priceless. It would be wrong to overpower his visit with formality and ceremony, at least at this stage of his life.

I saw a poll on ITV saying that 1200 people want William as the next King, I'm not sure how they can say that's the opinion of Australia. Don't they understand how it works? I reckon it wouldn't matter who was next, they want a republic don't they?

So is this a move away from more formal trips since there were no formal dinners just BBQs?
It's a "private" trip although the security and TV coverage may give a different impression.
Prince William was THE story tonight; both the NINE and TEN networks' primetime news had extensive and live coverage of his activities in Sydney.
There were police and TV helicopters above my home when he came in from the airport and while he was in Redfern.

As a ps, William was asked by a girl in the crowd at Redfern if he was going to marry Kate. His reply: "wait and see".

Last edited:
I think it is more a matter that many people, if not most Australians, don't see William and his family as being all that relevant to us any more and so many question why he is coming here. Some see it as a token - the obligatory visit to see Aborginal elders - will anything change for the Aboriginal people as a result - no- the obligatory picture with children so people can say 'How cute' and "He is so like his mother" etc when in fact he is coming here and doing nothing of any significance - really most people will get a very short chance to see him drive by tomorrow as he goes to a BBQ. Big Deal. If this was a serious tour he would be here for a couple of months and visit all states and territories and really get to know the place but three days in nothing.

If this was supposed to dampen the republic I think it has misfired based on the comments in the papers with more seeming negative rather than positive about the visit - regardless of which paper - Telegraph, Herald etc.

We’re obviously not seeing the same media reports! The ones I’ve seen the media are all pulling out every positive cliché they can come up with to describe William and people’s reaction to his visit. Tonight’s late news ran with “A King Hit”!! Two thousand people came out to see him in Redfern today, not exactly a stereotypical staunchly monarchist area (for non Australians, Redfern is a working class area of Sydney with a large Aboriginal population) the majority that were there were Aboriginal. He did a meet and greet in Redfern and so Sydneysiders were able to see more of him than just the drive by tomorrow. He’s got another meet and greet in Melbourne.
Damping down the republic, it’s subtle, the tabloid reporting. The poll question isn’t “should Australia become a republic?” Rather it’s been ‘should William be Australian’s next King?’. Hmmm ‘next king?’ let’s plant that idea there will continue to be monarchs in Australia. Die hard republicans will off course remain, their argument is fair enough, a HoS that lives in Australia, but for the monarchists this publicity is manna from heaven!
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/6692835 Sydney Day 1

If so this disappoints me, as what makes royals interesting to me is the formality. As William gets older and marries I look forward to seeing his wife in gowns, tiaras and suits during the day. I hope this this informal nature does not prevail once William marries and becomes a full time royal.

William has very good advisors and staff who have planned this trip. To have had formal dinners, black or white tie would have made William appear remote and ‘stuck up’ especially in countries such as Australia and New Zealand who pride themselves on their laidback attitudes. The BBQs were perfect, the outdoor BBQ is practically Australia’s national activity, and it’s summer in Australia, the weather is beautiful and people live outdoors. Australians in particular who also have strong sense of no social class, would bristle at events where formality ruled, William even made it known before the trip that he didn’t want people bowing, curtseying or a huge amount of protocol. All things that would ensure he would be well received ‘down under’. State events will always be tiaras, orders, white tie etc, but William hasn’t done any of those events even in the UK, he’s never been in white tie. Black tie (tuxedo) at a few events but nothing that has involved tiaras for the women.
I saw a poll on ITV saying that 1200 people want William as the next King, I'm not sure how they can say that's the opinion of Australia. Don't they understand how it works? I reckon it wouldn't matter who was next, they want a republic don't they
There are a variety of polls at the moment, most just tabloid ring in ones being run by TV breakfast shows, Yahoo news Australia etc. The questions are basically ‘Do you want William to be the next King of Australia?” Yes/no answers. Other polls ‘Should Queen Elizabeth step down for William?” 56% said Yes apparently! Don’t assume all Australians want a republic, some do, some don’t, some don’t care and some just prefer the status quo.
Polls aren’t all that accurate, in 1999 all the polls leading up to the referendum on the republic said that Australians would overwhelmingly vote for a republic. All of them, not one poll said the republic vote would be defeated, they were all wrong, for various reasons it was defeated as QEII is still Queen of Australia. So when anyone makes a sweeping statement that Australians all want a republic, take that statement with a grain of salt, there are republicans in Australia, and there are monarchists. The monarchists at the moment are quite happy!

No thank heaven someone has said that ... not all Australians want a republic alll these so called and mostly self appointed clever clogs who believe that the past is not connected to the future and that we are too sophiscated to want links to our colonial past really give me the pip..... I love being what I am and who I am and part of that is Monarchy am Australian, so thanks for that Charlotte1

As a ps, William was asked by a girl in the crowd at Redfern if he was going to marry Kate. His reply: "wait and see".

Well Well Well. :)
I think this trip is just perfect for William. :flowers:

Do you know the details are hours of Prince William in Australia?

Do you know the details are hours of Prince William in Australia?

His scheduele is:

Tuesday, 19 January: Sydney, Australia
  • Low-key (i.e. non-ceremonial) arrival followed by greeting by Governor-General Ms. Quentin Bryce at Admiralty House in Sydney. Lunch and meeting with prominent young Australians.
  • Visit to Community Centre for Aboriginal and Indigenous peoples in an inner Sydney suburb with traditional Aboriginal welcome. Tour of center and meeting with people who use its services.
  • Visit to the Governor of New South Wales, Dr Marie Bashir, at Government House.
  • Private evening.
Wednesday, 20 January: Sydney, Australia
  • Visit to Holsworthy Barracks near Sydney. Will join soldiers from 3rd Battalion The Royal Australian Regiment in live fire training at the barracks' Marksmanship Training Range. Private meeting with Special Operations Command soldiers.
  • Visit to Southern Surveyor, environmental research ship, in Sydney. Visit with scientists and tour of technology.
  • Barbecue lunch hosted by Kristina Keneally, Premier of New South Wales. Invitation to speak.
  • Private afternoon in Sydney.
Thursday, 21 January: Melbourne, Australia
  • Travel to Melbourne, Victoria.
  • Visits to areas affected by the severe February 2009 wildfires. Here, he will represent the Royal Family and will see the recovery work.
  • Briefing on the February disaster by emergency services on the February disaster.
  • Visit to areas affected.
  • Attendance at community event held in the area affected by fires. Meeting with people who lost their homes and planting of symbolic tree. Barbecue and sports match.
  • Visit to Educational Centre, which is being rebuilt.
  • Visit to Prof. David de Kretser, Governor of Victoria, at Government House.
  • Attendance at Victoria’s Australia Day reception, hosted by the Governor and Victoria's Premier John Brumby. Speech, meeting with the public, and planting of a new tree, following a British Royal family tradition.
  • Private evening.
  • Scheduled flight to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom