Prince William Appointed as the 1,000th Knight of the Garter: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch.;) A little less deserving then?

Ohhh yes, I forgot about these few clubs, parties, choppers etc.;) :D

Btw I hope (why not) that WoW KG will be much more sense (and sesibility) than WoW.

Last edited:
For William, it's never been a question of if he will be a Knight of the Garter. Assuming all goes normally and he is created Prince of Wales, he would automatically become a Knight of the Garter on his creation anyways.

And I agree that there are other deserving royals, but William's case is different because his future role is so much different.

More worthy of it than the Queen's own grandson and second in line to inherit? That's an interesting view but each to their own. Sooner or later he would have been created a Knight, so now is as good a time as any.

IMO the fact William is the Queen's grandson and second in line to the throne does not make him "worthy" of anything. I don't value people based on accident of birth alone, and it seems to me that that's the sole reason William has been given the Garter.

He will naturally progress through the various steps that first born sons of the Prince of Wales undergo, including getting this new feathery, velvety outfit, but IMO it's not a big deal, because it was inevitable and he didn't have to actually do anything to get it.

What about Camilla? What about Birgitte? What about Katherine? All far more deserving as active full-time Royals (or have been in Katherine's case) than William.
Katherine would not want it, IMO. I know Harry has got his campaign medal (for the couple of weeks he did), but even he is more deserving than William.

Last edited:
IMO the fact William is the Queen's grandson and second in line to the throne does not make him "worthy" of anything. I don't value people based on accident of birth alone, and it seems to me that that's the sole reason William has been given the Garter.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe he has been bestowed this honour for no other reason than being second in line, but what would you then say about his father, who as a 10 year old boy, was created a Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter? Or even his grandfather who was created a Knight Companion for no other reason than marrying the then King's daughter.

In 1946 the power to name members was returned to the sovereign without government interference, which means the membership in the Order today thus fills it's original role as a mark of royal favour.

To be honest though, I'd much rather have read that Camilla was being created a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

Last edited:
yes the Duchess of Glouchester is a royal who is most deserving of becoming a Lady of the Garter

I always thought that William wouldnt get the Garter until he married i mean Andrew and Edward only got it in 2006 so maybe its a abit premature

So what year can we predict when Harry will be installed - at the same age so maybe 2010???

Also to note Princess Margaret was never installed into the Order of the Garter which seems strange since she was a the daughter and then sister of a Monarch

Last edited:
I believe it's going to be a private ceremony at Windsor Castle.
The number of knights is limited to 24, plus Royal knights. For much of its history, the Garter was limited to the aristocracy, but today the knights are from varied backgrounds. If there are vacancies in the Order, appointments are announced on St George's Day (23 April).
Every June, the Knights of the Garter gather at Windsor Castle, where new knights take the oath and are invested with the insignia. A lunch is given in the Waterloo Chamber, after which the knights process to a service in St George's Chapel, wearing their blue velvet robes (with the badge of the Order - St George's Cross within the Garter surrounded by radiating silver beams - on the left shoulder) and black velvet hats with white plumes.

The Queen (whose father George VI appointed her and her husband to the Order in 1947) attends the service as Sovereign of the Order. Other members of the Royal Family in the Order also attend, including The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Princess Royal.
The Monarchy Today > Queen and public > Honours > Order of the Garter

The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Ceremonies > Garter Day

Btw. Does Wills coat of arms will change too?

Last edited:
It was just today, ysbel and I slightly touched on the issue of who next would be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter. There was some talk of the former Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, being created a Knight. but whether or not that is still possible I'm not sure.

Personally I don't find the former PM worthy of it so here's hoping someone within the UK is appointed.

But ....... er, pardon if I'm mistaken. From my understanding of the royal website's release, there was a footnote to the announcement explaining that the royal knights are "additional" to the regular appointees. So William's being knighted does not effect other appointments, I think. :ermm:

Perhaps you're right. Maybe he has been bestowed this honour for no other reason than being second in line, but what would you then say about his father, who as a 10 year old boy, was created a Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter? Or even his grandfather who was created a Knight Companion for no other reason than marrying the then King's daughter.

In 1946 the power to name members was returned to the sovereign without government interference, which means the membership in the Order today thus fills it's original role as a mark of royal favour.

I was 4 when Charles was created a Garter Knight and have never thought about it, but there's no difference. It is, as you say, a mark of royal favour, and not based on merit. I accept that these things happen, but I don't see any reason to be pleased about it or to congratulate the recipient. It even has me thinking disturbingly charitable thoughts about the Eureka flag. :ohmy:

To be honest though, I'd much rather have read that Camilla was being created a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

Now that would be a story! :flowers:

But ....... er, pardon if I'm mistaken. From my understanding of the royal website's release, there was a footnote to the announcement explaining that the royal knights are "additional" to the regular appointees. So William's being knighted does not effect other appointments, I think. :ermm:

I think this was a discussion about a replacement for Edmund Hillary, who died earlier this year and created a vacancy. As you said, the royal knights are additional to the regular appointees.

Yes, I since worked that out. Thank you.

^No problem, I think I replied to your post on page 1 prematurely. Anyway, I agree it would be nice for the Duchess of Gloucester to have the Garter. Camilla, yes, but maybe later. Camilla is fairly new to the game, comparatively speaking that is. Give her more time, I guess I mean to say.
I think if I was Birgitte I would kinda pissed if Camilla got it before her, haha.

I was 4 when Charles was created a Garter Knight and have never thought about it, but there's no difference. It is, as you say, a mark of royal favour, and not based on merit. I accept that these things happen, but I don't see any reason to be pleased about it or to congratulate the recipient. It even has me thinking disturbingly charitable thoughts about the Eureka flag. :ohmy:

Now that would be a story! :flowers:

Charles became a KG at such a young age because that is how old he was when the Queen created him Prince of Wales. The PoW is automatically KG.

I think he's more worthy of it than William.

ETA I might add that I also think Hugh Grant's more worthy of it than William.
Somebody tell me why Hugh Grant should get it other than his movies and his stint with a prostitute?? :eek:

Btw. Does Wills coat of arms will change too?

He doesn't have to, exactly, but he would be entitled to add the insignia to his arms. HM would have to issue a Letter Patent, I believe, amending his arms.

Somebody tell me why Hugh Grant should get it other than his movies and his stint with a prostitute??

I think that was what is commonly known as a 'joke'.

What about Camilla? What about Birgitte? What about Katherine? All far more deserving as active full-time Royals (or have been in Katherine's case) than William.

Based on historical precedence Camilla will receive the Garter when Charles becomes king. Alexandra was The Princess of Wales for 40 years and did not receive the Garter until her husband became King Edward VII and she received it from him . Mary received the Garter once her husband was king and Elizabeth ( QM) received the Garter from her husband King George VI.

Katharine and Brigitte will never receive the Garter, only the women who marry the consort and eventually become queen receive the Garter, just marrying a royal doesn't get you one. Marina ( Duchess of Kent) and Alice ( Duchess of Gloucester) never received the Garter.

There are 3 categories of Garter recipients, British royals who are Royal Companion Knights, the 24 Garter Knights, 2 died in the past year, Sir Edmund Hillary and Edward Heath so there were 2 vacanies the 2 new Knights are Lord Luce and Sir Thomas Dunne. And then foreign royals who are Stranger Knights also receive the Garter when they make a State visit, all foreign royals have the Garter except for Belgian's King Albert and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg as neither has made a State Visit to the UK in their reign. ( Albert of Monaco too, although I don't think he makes State Visits)

i suppose we should all be grateful that our wonderful former Prime Minister Tony Blair wasnt on the list

although by precedent he will eventually receive the honour - unfortunately:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
i suppose we should all be grateful that our wonderful former Prime Minister Tony Blair wasnt on the list although by precedent he will eventually receive the honour - unfortunately:lol: :lol:
He was a PM only 10 years, 1997-2007 .
Will is a Queen'a grandson almost 26 years.
So who knows the Queen longer? :D

Last edited:
That's good news :) After the whole plane crash debacle that's good to hear. Hope it makes international/CNN news. BTW: I found the plane crash story funny.

Congratulations Prince William. HM the Queen has deemed it fitting to appoint her grandson the 1000th knight of this distinguished order.
Best Wishes Prince William for a good royal future.

Court Circular - Buckingham Palace - 5th May, 2008 reported:
"The Queen this afternoon conferred upon Prince William of Wales the honour of Knighthood and invested His Royal Highness with the Insignia of a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter."

My Question: I understand that HRH Prince William of Wales was announced recently in late April to have been given the Order of the Garter. I assumed that his investiture would've occured on "Garter Day" in early June.
Why did Her Majesty, the Queen formally knight and invest Prince William on what seems a much earlier date? I gather that this was a privately held palace investiture? Does anyone know any details?

It seems to me this is a significant occasion that wasn't covered either in the UK press, (or I've missed seeing it), nor cited by my fellow colleagues here in this Forum. Also, isn't this the first occasion in which Buckingham Palace has made formal use of Prince William's "HRH" title in print? My assumption is that the Queen's action signals that HRH Prince William is now publically functioning as one of the senior members of the British Royal Family.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm following Forum protocols correctly.

Congrats to Prince William of Wales on being appointed the 1000th Knight of the Garter.

My Question: I understand that HRH Prince William of Wales was announced recently in late April to have been given the Order of the Garter. I assumed that his investiture would've occured on "Garter Day" in early June.
Why did Her Majesty, the Queen formally knight and invest Prince William on what seems a much earlier date? I gather that this was a privately held palace investiture? Does anyone know any details?

From what I can tell, the investiture is different from the ceremonies on Garter Day. I know John Major had a private investiture, as it was shown on one of the recent programs (I can't remember which). On Garter Day, there will be a more formal installation ceremony where the Queen would place his robes on him, etc.

So has his Coat of Arms been installed in the Chapel yet?

Personally if you read Nostradamus you would have wanted this appointment. The 1000 knight is the last and won't live to see his 30th Birthday.

I never thought the Queen was the type to be reading Nostradamus, and this seems to confirm it!

Back
Top Bottom