Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the palace said it will be announced after the ceremony?

Not according to the article I read that gave a timeline of tomorrow's events. It said that at 3 or 4 a.m. EST (which is 8 or 9 a.m. GMT) it would be announced what title if any, the two of them will receive.

Sister Morphine said:
Not according to the article I read that gave a timeline of tomorrow's events. It said that at 3 or 4 a.m. EST (which is 8 or 9 a.m. GMT) it would be announced what title if any, the two of them will receive.

I've always known the title to be announced before the wedding but what threw me off was when a spokesperson from the palace said it will be announced after the wedding.

branchg said:
If William is created a Peer, it will be announced in the morning before he proceeds to the Abbey. The tradition has been to create the royal groom a Peer before the ceremony begins so his bride legally marries a Peer of the Realm and becomes a Duchess or Countess, of course with royal rank automatically as HRH Princess of the UK.

If no announcement is made before the ceremony, that very likely means William has chosen to remain styled as "HRH Prince William of Wales" and therefore, his wife would take her style automatically as "HRH Princess William of Wales". Technically, no announcement would be necessary as the assumption of this style is a given with marriage to a Prince of the UK.

However, if The Queen had agreed to allow it, I can see an announcement coming after the ceremony from the Palace stating that while Catherine was automatically "HRH Princess William of Wales", she would be permitted the use of "HRH Princess Catherine" as a courtesy.

Could it be perhaps she will bestow a title but they decided to announce it afterward as not to make a big deal about it?

I'm just wondering cause I see Will and Kate breaking from tradition a bit.

Last edited:
BBC News Channel in the UK stated a few minutes ago that there will be an announcement about titles at 8 am tomorrow BST.

Whatever the Queen decides, William has to get some sort of title. He's got nearly 20 years to wait before he can become Duke of Cornwall.

So you are saying that the present Queen will live to be about 105?

Well, as everyone likes to point out, the Queen Mother lived to be what 101/102? So anything is possible.

So here's my prediction: Prince William will be created Duke of Cambridge, and be given an earldom and barony of some areas in Scotland and Wales (not necessarily respectively) as well. Hopefully Anglesey or the general area will get a nod in some form.

Would the Queen hold off giving Prince William a dukedom because Prince Edward is still an earl? I know the intention is for Prince Edward to later become the Duke of Edinburgh, but would the Queen - even though Prince William is higher in the place of succession - have any reservations about giving her grandson a dukedom while one of her sons presently has a lower ranked title? If this has been discussed already, sorry. I didn't recall seeing the discussion, but my memory has been tripping me up lately (I blame it on too many term papers and not enough sleep).

It was Prince Edward's decision to become The Earl of Wessex and The Queen agreed. Otherwise, it is likely Edward would currently be The Duke of Cambridge.

I think William is likely to have asked his grandmother to create him an Earl for now, but we'll have to see what happens.

I think William is likely to have asked his grandmother to create him an Earl for now, but we'll have to see what happens.

That's the direction I've been leaning towards now for about the last month. I don't think that the Queen would be okay with styling Kate as HRH Princess Catherine but I also think she'd respect William & Kate's wishes to keep things as relatively low-key and modest as possible for the next few years and an earldom seems in line with that.

I think William is likely to have asked his grandmother to create him an Earl for now.

I agree that this is the most likely outcome. It solves the 'Princess Catherine' business without suggesting a high profile.

Whatever the Queen decides, William has to get some sort of title. He's got nearly 20 years to wait before he can become Duke of Cornwall.

Well, even if the Queen does not make it another 20 years, lets not forget that Charles is next in line and that he should at least have 20 more years God willing.;)

Last edited:
Lady Ann said:
Well, even if the Queen does not make it another 20 years, lets not forget that Charles is next in line and that he should at least have 20 more years God willing.;)

But once Charles is King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically which is the title being discussed in those posts-

But once Charles is King, William becomes Duke of Cornwall automatically which is the title being discussed in those posts-

your, right I replied faster then I read... opps:eek:

Would the Queen hold off giving Prince William a dukedom because Prince Edward is still an earl? I know the intention is for Prince Edward to later become the Duke of Edinburgh, but would the Queen - even though Prince William is higher in the place of succession - have any reservations about giving her grandson a dukedom while one of her sons presently has a lower ranked title?

That doesn't make sense to me. If Edward had wanted to be a royal duke, he could have been made one when he married. He is obviously perfectly content to wait and receive his father's title when it is bequeathed to him. Perhaps he does not even wish to receive it upon his father's death, but has agreed to accept it!

rawsilk

Last edited:

I would expect William to have more than 20 years to wait to become King but I would also expect that he will be Duke of Corwall in less than 20 years - more likely 10 or so.

That doesn't make sense to me. If Edward had wanted to be a royal duke, he could have been made one when he married. He is obviously perfectly content to wait and receive his father's title when it is bequeathed to him. Perhaps he does not even wish to receive it upon his father's death, but has agreed to accept it!

rawsilk

I realize Edward could have been made a duke when he married had he wanted to be a duke, and I do agree that he may be content waiting, etc. My question related to whether the Queen would want to elevate William - or Harry for that matter - to a dukedom during her lifetime when one of her sons would have a lesser style regardless if her son were content with an earldom. Even if Edward is fine with the present arrangement, the Queen may have some personal thoughts on how she wants to distribute honors, just as she has some different views on precedence in formal/informal situations or even distributing honors (e.g., Order of Garter). Though Edward may be content, I just wondered if the Queen would be satisfied having a grandson with a dukedom while a son still has an earldom, even though it is expected that will change at a later date.

I realize Edward could have been made a duke when he married had he wanted to be a duke, and I do agree that he may be content waiting, etc. My question related to whether the Queen would want to elevate William - or Harry for that matter - to a dukedom during her lifetime when one of her sons would have a lesser style regardless if her son were content with an earldom. Even if Edward is fine with the present arrangement, the Queen may have some personal thoughts on how she wants to distribute honors, just as she has some different views on precedence in formal/informal situations or even distributing honors (e.g., Order of Garter). Though Edward may be content, I just wondered if the Queen would be satisfied having a grandson with a dukedom while a son still has an earldom, even though it is expected that will change at a later date.

Edward will outrank William and Harry, regardless if the latter two receive dukedoms or not, as the son of a sovereign outranks a grandson of the sovereign. When Charles is king, his sons will outrank his brothers, regardless of any titles William and Harry do or don't have.

Don't bet on it

I would expect William to have more than 20 years to wait to become King but I would also expect that he will be Duke of Corwall in less than 20 years - more likely 10 or so.

Queen Mary lived to age 85. Queen Alexandra lived to age 80. Queen Mary's mother lived until age 63 but she was called "Fat Mary".

Her maternal grandmother lived to age 75, and her maternal great grandmothers lived to almost age 96, and almost age 90.

Considering the increases in life expectancy, Queen Elizabeth II may very well make it to age 100 and then some. I suspect that she will stop the international travel once Prince Phillip dies. She will delegate that to her son.

There may come a time, when she no longer travels domestically via plane and helicopter. The royal train has plenty of room for emergency medical equipment.

HM may be getting up in years, but can we cease with the talk about her death, at least in this thread? This is a thread about a wedding, we should be sharing nothing but happy thoughts. :flowers:

Any word on a title for Miss Middleton and Prince William of Wales today (as of yet)??

Not yet! Depending on who you listen to, it will either come at around 3:00 AM Eastern or after the wedding.

Last edited:
Aaarrrrgggg!!! Too excited to nap so I can stay up all night!!! Sooo can't wait!! hours away now!!

I'm pulling an all-nighter. Haven't done it since college, but I have nothing going on for Fridays, so I can handle it.

Sister Morphine said:
I'm pulling an all-nighter. Haven't done it since college, but I have nothing going on for Fridays, so I can handle it.

Same here - all nighter, but I don't work tomorrow, so it's all good. It's worth it!

I look at it this way -- I normally go to bed about midnight anyway, and to make sure I see everything from start to finish, I'd need to get up at 3 a.m. Three hours of sleep is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom