Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Title should William take?

According to news reports William has asked HM the Queen not to make him a duke, however appropriate it would be, So I put to you the question if he were made a Duke, what should he be made duke of?

My Suggestion is to create a new Dukedom, something with energy and that would play well in the common realms.

According to news reports William has asked HM the Queen not to make him a duke, however appropriate it would be, So I put to you the question if he were made a Duke, what should he be made duke of?

My Suggestion is to create a new Dukedom, something with energy and that would play well in the common realms.

Huh? There are 85 pages in this thread discussing this very topic. Just go to any page and there are plenty of titles to view, ponder and discuss.

Happy reading!

Huh? There are 85 pages in this thread discussing this very topic. Just go to any page and there are plenty of titles to view, ponder and discuss.

Happy reading!

I have 100 posts per page set up, so for me it's only 17 pages. A little easier to wade through. :lol:

I have 100 posts per page set up, so for me it's only 17 pages. A little easier to wade through. :lol:

Oh good! Then you can list all the titles that have been thrown about n a very short time (including ones that should be stripped from current dukes and earls -just cuz). Get on it woman! :lol:

I don't want it to be Cambridge, though, as that would make people think of the Lover's Knot tiara, which would be too much Diana.

I can assure you that hardly anyone would associate Cambridge with Diana on the basis of a tiara which she was occasionally seen wearing. Very few people would even know the name of the tiara.

Off topic posts AGAIN have been deleted regarding the popularity of Camilla and whether or not the US is Diana/Kate country.

georgiea said:
I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.

No she doesn't. William calls her Kate and she herself has said she is still very much Kate and she doesn't care which name is used

Sister Morphine said:

Mines 15 posts a a page so it shows 113 page thread :) hopefully within those pages is the answer.....

Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales. I base my theory on the flimsy fact that I haven't a clue what title could or should be granted. Having said that, because I come from the East of England, I'd be happy with Duke and Duchess /Earl and Countess of East Anglia (like Wessex another ancient kingdom).

Jacknch said:
Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales

I am thinking the same and basing it off of Kate and William living up near his RAF base for the next 2 years and them staying mainly out of Royal duties, and the fact that William likes to be seen as a regular guy. To be honest my opinion if Kate us that she only wants one title, William's wife and cares not for any others :) (that's a good thing in my view)

I am thinking the same and basing it off of Kate and William living up near his RAF base for the next 2 years and them staying mainly out of Royal duties, and the fact that William likes to be seen as a regular guy. To be honest my opinion if Kate us that she only wants one title, William's wife and cares not for any others :) (that's a good thing in my view)

I would agree except for the problem of Harry's future title. I've raised this issue before but I think it bears repeating since a precedent will be set if William doesn't receive a title upon marriage. I suppose the same could happen with Harry (if he marries in the next few years) and then, once Charles becomes King, Harry could receive a Dukedom. I just think that it would be more streamlined if both William and Harry receives Dukedoms at marriage and then Harry is set for life in this regard. Thank goodness it's only 3 more days!

I wonder, will William have to change his name that he uses as a RAF officer if he's given a dukedom, earldom, etc.? Right now he's "William Wales"; I guess it's easier if he sticks to that for his job than change it to "William Cambridge" or "William Clarance."

Even though we at the forums know better and royals themselves will correct them, the press will always mess up names/titles and call royal women whatever they feel like (or what they think the public likes to hear). Catherine will be called "Princess Catherine/Kate," and I bet she'll still be referred "Kate Middleton" sometimes after the wedding. There was story about anarchists attacking the Charles and Camilla's car in December and they were referred to as "Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla Parker-Bowles" even though she is clearly not Parker-Bowles anymore. Diana is almost always referred to as "Princess Diana" and Sarah is usually just called "Fergie" or Sarah Ferguson (neither are wrong, but it does cause confusion for some who only know of the singer). Part of it is how wordy "Diana [pause], Princess of Wales" and "Sarah [pause], Duchess of York" is to say and write and journalists like to save time and space. But the fact that it's still "Princess Diana" and "Camilla Parker-Bowles" stems past Diana vs. Camilla sentiment.

Diana is still often referred to as Lady Diana or Lady Di, in my experience.

Diana is still often referred to as Lady Diana or Lady Di, in my experience.

And that is still technically correct, as I don't think she lost her ladyship when she married PoW. BTW, 'Di' is a nickname that Diana hates, so it's really just "Lady Diana". :flowers:

It's just what I hear people say - most of them wouldn't have a clue whether or not it was correct, nor do they care. It is of course largely confined to people who are old enough to remember her engagement & wedding.

I would agree except for the problem of Harry's future title. I've raised this issue before but I think it bears repeating since a precedent will be set if William doesn't receive a title upon marriage. I suppose the same could happen with Harry (if he marries in the next few years) and then, once Charles becomes King, Harry could receive a Dukedom. I just think that it would be more streamlined if both William and Harry receives Dukedoms at marriage and then Harry is set for life in this regard. Thank goodness it's only 3 more days!

If Harry marries while The Queen still reigns, he too can be created an Earl for now. Once Charles is King, he can then create Harry a Duke as a son of The Sovereign.

Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales. I base my theory on the flimsy fact that I haven't a clue what title could or should be granted. Having said that, because I come from the East of England, I'd be happy with Duke and Duchess /Earl and Countess of East Anglia (like Wessex another ancient kingdom).

My Grandfather came from Colchester so I'll vote for that too.

And that is still technically correct, as I don't think she lost her ladyship when she married PoW. BTW, 'Di' is a nickname that Diana hates, so it's really just "Lady Diana". :flowers:
Yes, it was technically correct she would still be a "Lady" like her sisters. But since her divorced title is (even with out the HRH) was higher, so she was, officially, "Diana, Princess of Wales." If she had remarried Mr. John Smith, she would have been Lady Diana Smith, like her sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale. Her other sister was Lady Jane Fellowes until her husband got a life peerage and she became the Baroness Fellowes which trumps her old title.

I think it's like when the Queen invests/bestows a territorial title on the princes. Charles is still The Prince Charles, but gets referred to as the Prince of Wales because it's his highest territorial title and no one would want to list ALL of his titles. If you took into consideration her Lady title, it would have been a mouthful "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of Wales." What a mouthful.

Yes, it was technically correct she would still be a "Lady" like her sisters. But since her divorced title is (even with out the HRH) was higher, so she was, officially, "Diana, Princess of Wales." If she had remarried Mr. John Smith, she would have been Lady Diana Smith, like her sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale. Her other sister was Lady Jane Fellowes until her husband got a life peerage and she became the Baroness Fellowes which trumps her old title.

I think it's like when the Queen invests/bestows a territorial title on the princes. Charles is still The Prince Charles, but gets referred to as the Prince of Wales because it's his highest territorial title and no one would want to list ALL of his titles. If you took into consideration her Lady title, it would have been a mouthful "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of Wales." What a mouthful.

She wouldn't have been "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor" anyway. The usage of Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname is restricted to those male-line descendants who do not have a princely status. For example, in accordance with the 1917 Letters Patent, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is HRH Prince X of Y. Any other sons or daughters would be Lord/Lady. So if William and Catherine have a daughter as their first born, she would be Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor.

Now it's true that Charles (and Anne, I believe) used Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname on their banns of marriage, but technically they don't have a last name.

In that case, why did they use the Mountbatten-Windsor ???

I can assure you that hardly anyone would associate Cambridge with Diana on the basis of a tiara which she was occasionally seen wearing. Very few people would even know the name of the tiara.

I did have images of people going "ooh, maybe this means Kate could get the Camebridge Lover's Knot to wear at some point, just like Diana did, oh how fitting for the Wife of Diana's Son!", but you're right. That tiara is just Diana's tiara to some people. People don't make the connection to the place.

I decided to look this up because I was bored, but here are all the extinct dukedoms in the UK, some of which appear in the poll at the top of the board:

Sussex
Cambridge
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Cumberland
Portland
Kendal
Dover
Greenwich
Dorset
Bridgewater
Fife
Clarence and Avondale

I wonder, will William have to change his name that he uses as a RAF officer if he's given a dukedom, earldom, etc.? Right now he's "William Wales"; I guess it's easier if he sticks to that for his job than change it to "William Cambridge" or "William Clarence."

Well, most women still change their surnames on marriage, why shouldn't William? At least he won't be "William Middleton"!

Oooh, Duke of Buckingham! But didn't Lady Diana use "Miss Buckingham" as a cover name for appointments at the Emanuels to fit the wedding dress?

Last edited:
I decided to look this up because I was bored, but here are all the extinct dukedoms in the UK, some of which appear in the poll at the top of the board:

Sussex
Cambridge
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Cumberland
Portland
Kendal
Dover
Greenwich
Dorset
Bridgewater
Fife
Clarence and Avondale

I don't believe Fife is available.

Didn't Princess Louise, daughter of Edward VII marry the of Duke of Fife. They didn't have any sons but special arrangements were made so that the eldest daughter could inheirit the title. I believe a great grand nephew holds it now. His daughter is the godmother of Lady Louise or something.

I am recalling all of this from my limited memory (working on a paper for school) and not trying to get caught up in Wikipedia. Its like Walmart and Target for me when I start looking up British royal facts.:ohmy: I can't stop clicking on links.

I like Duke and Duchess of Dover, sounds romantic to me-

Doubt that's what'll be though- my guess is still no dukedom, just TRH Princes and Princess William

I am really surprised by the voting.

I really think William will become an Earl, but if he is named a Duke, I think it will be Clarence. Clarence is the only original royal dukedom created between 1337 and 1385 presently not being used (the others being York, Cornwall, Lancaster and Gloucester). It was last used for the son of the Prince of Wales - notice the similarities? And the previous creation was for the future King William!!!!

But my bet still lies on William being named an Earl, similar to Prince Edward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom