Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, Diana was NOT EVER styled "Princess Diana," during or after the marriage. She was, of course, The Princess of Wales during her marriage. Upon her divorce, she was styled "Diana, Princess of Wales" and without the HRH.

Oh for cripes sake! :bang:

You missed one important Daughter-in-law: Sophie, Countess of Wessex. And in fact I think that is a model that will be followed with Kate and William. They want to have a some what normal life. They want to stay out of the spotlight. They also want a title, and will become Duke at a later time. So they are presently Earl and Countess.

William will be made an Earl on Friday. It is too bad 'Earl of St. Andrews' is already being used. I suspect there is no way the Queen could give him another Earl, and then give William the Earl of St. Andrews. That would have been 'romantic'.

The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks romantic or otherwise has some kind of appeal. Whether William is given a dukedom, an earldom, a barony, or nothing at all, it's not going to come at someone else's rightful expense.

Last edited:
Yes, that Sophie was left out was already been pointed out, however it was not intentional as I pointed out.

I'm sorry, has BP released their title? Unless they have, you have no idea what their title will be Friday. No one does except those that were involved with the decision. Since none of us would be in that party, then it's really all speculation.....correct?

Oh, ok. I didn't see those posts because they must have been deleted by Zonk.

The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks "romantic".

Yes. But it would have been a nice title had it been available.

The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks "romantic".

:lol: Is Friday here yet?

I wish I was in London to see all these poor saps stripped of their titles. :lol:

Queen: "You there. Duke of whatever, I don't care. Get over here."

Duke: "Yes your majesty. May I be of service to you somehow?"

Queen: "Yeah, gimme your title."

Duke: "I'm sorry ma'am, my title?"

Queen: "Yeah, your title. Hand it over. I need something for William for his wedding and Philip forgot to buy something, so consider this me re-gifting it. You don't mind, of course."

Duke: "A-a--actually your majesty, I do. This has been in my family for decades. What will I be called?"

Queen: "Lucky I don't put you in the tower, that's what you'll be called. Now fork it over and hit the bricks."

Queen: "Yeah, your title. Hand it over. I need something for William for his wedding and Philip forgot to buy something, so consider this me re-gifting it. You don't mind, of course."

Duke: "A-a--actually your majesty, I do. This has been in my family for decades. What will I be called?"

Queen: "Lucky I don't put you in the tower, that's what you'll be called. Now fork it over and hit the bricks."

:ROFLMAO:

Or, the Queen could allow her to be called 'Her Highest Royal Majesty the exalted Wife of the Probably Future King, so we might as well start calling you Queen Katie now'.

That would REALLY Surprise and shock everyone!! HaHa!

Ha, ha, indeed! That's what all the "HRH Princess Catherine" discussion is.

In reality, she'll either be Princess William of Wales, Countess of Whatever, or Duchess of Whatever.

Or Grand High Poo-Bah! :p

From what I understand about titles, I agree that there is no possibility that the Earl of St Andrews could be stripped of his title..

With regard to the bestowal of a title on Prince William on the day of his wedding, like I said a couple of weeks ago, I continue to get the impression [although of course I could very well be wrong] that the fact that Prince William and Catherine are still giving the impression of 'trying to live as normal a life as possible' would seem to indicate that a Royal Dukedom may not be the way forward at this stage. Prince William is of course very much a serving RAF officer, and we get the impression that he 'mucks in with his mates' - and look how many of his Air Force team are coming to the wedding. Prince William and Catherine have also indicated that they [still] don't want any staff at their home in Wales after the marriage; to me this again indicates a form of 'informality'. There was a story in one of the papers a few weeks ago [and of course that was only pure speculation on the part of the paper] that Catherine does not really want to be a Royal Duchess but would like to be styled 'Princess Catherine', which of course I think would be highly unlikely as I am positive that the Queen would not create Catherine a Princess in her own right...

Perhaps there is an interesting way forward; I am only speculating of course, but I am drawing out my thoughts as follows: the Queen might well see fit to announce that at the present time she is not going to grant William a Royal Dukedom, [which would leave the way forward to do so at some later date] and therefore on this basis, Catherine would be formally styled Princess William BUT that informally she would be known as 'Princess Catherine' rather in the manner that the late Duchess of Gloucester was styled 'Princess Alice' even though she was not formally
created a Princess in her own right. The Queen did agree to Princess Alice being styled in this way, because she did not want to be styled as Her Royal Highness the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester following the death of her husband...

Let's see what happens on Friday.....

Alex

Last edited:
Oh, ok. I didn't see those posts because they must have been deleted by Zonk.

I'm sorry Americanskipper I don't mean to be cranky. It's just that I have been corrected repeatedly and enough is enough. I deleted the post myself in hopes the topic would move on. :flowers:

:lol: I think we all are getting "title" punchy.

abcdxyz said:
Or Grand High Poo-Bah! :p

Ah, no that's my title in my house! :) I shall never give it up!!!!!!! :) rotfl!!!!!

If thats Catherine's title, what would William's be? Grand Duke High Poo-Bah?

I think it may be very possible The Queen will create him The Earl of Cambridge and Viscount Bucklebury.

I like the Cambridge title weather it be Duke or Earl, it is my pick...

I think it's going to be Earl and Countess, probably of Cambridge. This will allow King Charles, when he ascends to the throne, to elevate his son at the same time he creates him Prince of Wales and gives the young couple a little less sense of duty. The Queen would be stealing King Charles's thunder, so to speak, to make Prince William a Duke - although I'm sure they've somehow talked this over, right?

Sister Morphine, you're a comic gem, what would we do without you? Queen Katie indeed.

But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)

..........But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)

See my post on the previous page for an informal solution to the problem [my post got caught up in all the clever stuff.....:)]

Alex

But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)

I don't think everyone in America will call her Princess Kate... Some of us know better.... and the others will just call her Princess Catherine .:flowers::ROFLMAO:

that was my dry humor lol Lets hope for a fast 4 days...

Last edited:
I think it's going to be Earl and Countess, probably of Cambridge. This will allow King Charles, when he ascends to the throne, to elevate his son at the same time he creates him Prince of Wales and gives the young couple a little less sense of duty. But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)

William will become The Duke of Cornwall the moment his father becomes King as it will be automatic for him as the eldest son and heir to the throne. After some period of time, Charles will then create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

I do not agree everyone will call Catherine "Princess Catherine" if she indeed becomes a Duchess or Countess on Friday. They will call her The Duchess or Countess, like they do for Camilla and Sophie.

William will become The Duke of Cornwall the moment his father becomes King as it will be automatic for him as the eldest son and heir to the throne. After some period of time, Charles will then create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

I do not agree everyone will call Catherine "Princess Catherine" if she indeed becomes a Duchess or Countess on Friday. They will call her The Duchess or Countess, like they do for Camilla and Sophie.

Agreed, that is assuming she becomes Duchess or Countess.

If she becomes only 'Princess William of Wales', I think lots of people will call her Princess Catherine.

It will probably depend on where you are and how familiar the people are with Kate. For example, it's very easy to call Camilla and Sophie by their titles in the U.S. because they are pretty much completely unknown. However, I'd be very surprised if the U.S. media calls Kate anything but Princess Catherine/Kate. After the wedding she will be very well known and the media are dying for a successor to the Diana legacy. They want a princess. I'd be surprised if the UK media (esp. the tabloids) switch to using duchess or countess as well, but I don't know them as well. For other countries it will probably vary. At the end of the day, for better or worse, aggravating or not, princesses just sell better than duchesses/countesses. :p

It will probably depend on where you are and how familiar the people are with Kate. For example, it's very easy to call Camilla and Sophie by their titles in the U.S. because they are pretty much completely unknown. However, I'd be very surprised if the U.S. media calls Kate anything but Princess Catherine/Kate. After the wedding she will be very well known and the media are dying for a successor to the Diana legacy. They want a princess. I'd be surprised if the UK media (esp. the tabloids) switch to using duchess or countess as well, but I don't know them as well. For other countries it will probably vary. At the end of the day, for better or worse, aggravating or not, princesses just sell better than duchesses/countesses. :p

I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.

I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.

If Catherine hates being called "Kate", she should have asked William not to call her by that name in TV interviews.

Whatever title William may be given on the occasion of his marriage, I am reasonably sure that that she is going to be called Princess Kate here, though not by me, because I am a pedant in that regard and she will not be Princess anything except William. But if William is going to call her Kate, so am I. :lol:

I would not be surprised to see him remain Prince William of Wales until such time as he inherits his father's titles. I think that would be in keeping with his modern, fairly low key, informal approach to his life at the moment.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a strong feeling that if a Dukedeom is given, it will be Sussex? :future:

I know it's got some votes (including my own :D) but how many people think of Sussex as a future Sovereign kind of Dukedom?

Middleton, Greater Manchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a place called Middleton in Manchester. Maybe William can be made Duke of Middleton :)

Now that would be fun!

I still suspect they will be given some title so that Kate isn't commonly called Princess Kate, and so that their children's names are not all messed up - especially their first born son. But I also suspect they will not be made Duke/Duchess so they can keep a lower profile - and since they are a bit distant from (grandchildren rather than children of) the monarch. Therefore my prediction is Earl of something.

Does anybody know when and how on Friday we will find out? If they are not given any title, I suspect no announcement will be made (otherwise, it would be sort of like the Queen announcing that she is going to stay on as Queen). So by what time on Friday, if no annoucement has been made, can we figure out they will stay simply as Prince and Princess William of Wales? And if they are given a title, when and how would the annoucement be made?

Now that would be fun!

I still suspect they will be given some title so that Kate isn't commonly called Princess Kate, and so that their children's names are not all messed up - especially their first born son. But I also suspect they will not be made Duke/Duchess so they can keep a lower profile - and since they are a bit distant from (grandchildren rather than children of) the monarch. Therefore my prediction is Earl of something.

Does anybody know when and how on Friday we will find out? If they are not given any title, I suspect no announcement will be made (otherwise, it would be sort of like the Queen announcing that she is going to stay on as Queen). So by what time on Friday, if no annoucement has been made, can we figure out they will stay simply as Prince and Princess William of Wales? And if they are given a title, when and how would the annoucement be made?

Based on Andrew and Edward's titles we should know as they leave for the church and certainly by the time Kate is on her way.

If she enters the Abbey and we haven't been told anything then they will be Prince and Princess William of Wales.

Does anyone have a strong feeling that if a Dukedeom is given, it will be Sussex? :future:

I know it's got some votes (including my own :D) but how many people think of Sussex as a future Sovereign kind of Dukedom?

I hope not. It sounds too similar to Wessex which Edward and Sophie have. Plus, it is likely to spark some off color jokes such as, oops, I guess young children may read this post, so I better not say. :flowers:

:previous: I was almost going to mention that I don't have any children, but then I caught up, and realised that some users would :ROFLMAO:

I guess it does sound too similar to Wessex. I don't want it to be Camebridge, though, as that would make people think of the Lover's Knot tiara, which would be too much Diana. I don't think things associated with Diana should be contraband forever, but there really needs to be a generation who things go well for, before she can be brought to mind. Clarence would be good. It's previous owner did have a sad story, but you can't keep these things locked away forever...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom