Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Being created a royal duke is not only an honour, but is considered common practice upon marriage. Or at least has been for many years.

This in no way diminishes his titular dignity as a 'prince of the blood'.

Last edited:
Carl Edward, Duke of Saxe Coburg lost his the title for himself and heirs in the Tites Deprivation Act.
Basically I would think that the title is available but I don't belieev the Queen will use it.
The Albany title is NOT available as Herbertus is the heir to that title. Until there are no male line descendents of the holders deprived in 1917 the titles aren't available for regrant.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello! why would William take a dukedom when it is a stepdown when for 26 years he's been a prince! Kate deserves to be Princess Catherine of Wales - once the queen dies they would be retitled as Prince/Princess of Wales its pointless!

William doesn't take a dukedom, it's up to the Queen to grant him one if she wishes to do so.
Kate will not be Princess Catherine of Wales, because she was not born a princess in her own right.

hello! why would William take a dukedom when it is a stepdown when for 26 years he's been a prince! Kate deserves to be Princess Catherine of Wales - once the queen dies they would be retitled as Prince/Princess of Wales its pointless!

Tradition for one thing as the sons of the monarchs for generations have been given dukedoms in their own rights - a title to pass on even if there descendents can't be royal.

Catherine won't be Princess Catherine of Wales. She is not a Princess of the Blood Royal and thus will lose her own name on marriage and officially only have the feminine form of William's name and title e.g. Princess William of Wales. At least giving him a dukedom would allow her to be known as Duchess of xxx rather than Princess William.

What to Call Kate?

...Once married, Kate Middleton will unofficially become "Princess Catherine." The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales. Eventually, after many years and barring any unforeseen tragedy or divorce, she and William will become the Queen and King of England...
Article

That is wrong. Officially she will be HRH Princess William of Wales not Catherine in the same way that Princess Michael isn't Princess Christine.

To be Princess Catherine she would have to have been born a Princess in her own right and she wasn't.

Just as Diana was never officially Princess Diana, Catherine won't officially be Princess Catherine.

I would like it if they decided on a Scottish dukedom for William and Catherine (will try to get used to that name, now!). They met in Scotland, they love the country, William is a "Prince of Scotland" and will one day be The Duke of Rothesay (that is: Crown Prince of Scotland). So the queen could create a dukedom of the UK with a Scottish place name, like duke of Balmoral or duke of Lochnagar or duke of Braemar. Or whatever suitable place is on the Balmoral estate. Or she could choose an ancient Scottish Royal dukedom, if there are any besides Rothesay.

I just found that king William IV. of the UK, son of George III. and uncle of queen Victoria had been "Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews" before he inherited the crwon. Wouldn't Duke and Duchess of St. Andrews not be suitable titles for William and his Catherine?

As the Earl of St Andrews is the heir to the Duke of Kent it would be strange to also have a Duke of the same place - not unheard of - but both on the balcony and at official royal functions at the same time.

As the Earl of St Andrews is the heir to the Duke of Kent it would be strange to also have a Duke of the same place - not unheard of - but both on the balcony and at official royal functions at the same time.

I had forgotten about this, sorry.

b
I wouldn't be surprised if the press drops the 'William' and refers to her as 'Princess of Wales', much like Diana was called. Camilla's not using the title although she's entitled to it.

Not quite. Diana was called The Princess of Wales because she was married to The Prince of Wales. William is not The Prince of Wales, he's a Prince of Wales. There is a difference. Camilla is legally The Princess of Wales through her marriage to Prince Charles, so Kate cannot use the title while someone else already has it, even if they aren't using it.

If William is not granted a dukedom when he gets married, she'll be HRH Princess William of Wales. The press will of course, erroneously call her Princess Catherine, but she won't be the The Princess of Wales until sometime in her father-in-law's reign.

Last edited:
Hi,

It really doesn't matter what Catherine's titled, since in the end she will be referred by the press & media as "Princess Kate"...
Much like Diana was "Princess Di" or even "Lady Di"...
These morons have no respect for anyone or anything as long as they can denegrate it and make a headline out of it....

My 2 cents:-
The Queen should grant William & his bride the titles 'Duke and Duchess of Cambridge'..
That would hail back to George III's son - The Duke of Cambridge and his daughter Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, from whom they're all descended!!

Larry

More to the point, it doesn't really matter what the press and media call her because she will have an official title and will be called either Kate or Catherine by her family and friends.

I think that the BRF will stick to their tradition and create a dukedom for William upon his marriage. This way, Catherine can be HRH The Duchess of X, and William can become known as HRH The Duke of X - although he will always still be known as Prince William.

Giving him a dukedom also ensures a courtesy title for his children. Although his first son will be HRH, his other children won't have the HRH as long as the Queen is still living. Once his father ascends the throne, then all of William and Catherine's children will receive the HRH.

The three royal dukedoms available to William are Clarence, Cambridge and Sussex.. if there are others, I'm sure someone here will point it out.

I seriously doubt that Clarence will be chosen, because that title is fraught with a bad history, and would be altogether a bad omen to bestow on the heir to the throne.

I am hoping that the BRF will save the Sussex title for Harry. I just fancy him as the Duke of Sussex - call it intuition or premonition or whatever you will.. I've always envisioned that title as belonging to him.

So that leaves Cambridge.. and that is the one I'm betting on for William and Catherine.. I even like the sound of it as Catherine's title - HRH The Duchess of Cambridge - or even informally, Catherine of Cambridge.. not that it would ever be used, of course ;)

I too like the sound of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Sounds regal.

On the other hand, "Duke of Sussex" would be complementary to "Earl of Wessex"...

I don't feel "Cambridge" is suitable as William decided not to go to Cambridge University as was tradition but preferred St. Andrews instead. If he had been a graduate from Cambridge, it would be perfect but so, it has a controversial touch to it which the Royals surely don't like. Once William's son was at Cambridge like grandad Charles, he could be the Duke of Cambridge but for William it is a bit unsuitable. But that's just my opinion.

I too like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. It does sound more regal, and would at least prevent the media referring to her as Princess Catherine of Wales rather than the correct title of Catherine, Princess William of Wales. They are already referring to her as the future Princess Catherine of Wales here in the US. Although I love the title of Princess Catherine and I think it is very fitting for her, I know that would be technically incorrect.

There is only 16 years remaining until the Queen will be 100 years old. Although the Queen is in excellent health for her age, she can't continue her current pace many more years. Prince Phillip is looking pretty frail, and I have to wonder once he goes I have to wonder what will happen with her.

I don't feel "Cambridge" is suitable as William decided not to go to Cambridge University as was tradition but preferred St. Andrews instead. If he had been a graduate from Cambridge, it would be perfect but so, it has a controversial touch to it which the Royals surely don't like. Once William's son was at Cambridge like grandad Charles, he could be the Duke of Cambridge but for William it is a bit unsuitable. But that's just my opinion.

That really hasn't nothing to do with it. William went to St. Andrews in Scotland, but there's already an Earl of St. Andrews, so it's not likely the queen will name him the Duke of St. Andrews.

Where William went to college has no bearing on what dukedom the Queen may or may not bestow on him when he gets married.

Agreed, just like Andrew doesn't really have anything to do with York (as being Duke of York).
Or is my knowledge lacking here?

No, it doesn't appear to be. An interesting note about the Duke of York title. Since its second creation in 1474, the title has never been passed on. Either the holder died without male issue or they became King. I also read something that stated that should Prince Harry's marriage predate the death of Prince Andrew, Harry could be created an earl, with the proviso that a new Duke of York will be created for him -- similar to Prince Edward and the dukedom of Edinburgh.

The three royal dukedoms available to William are Clarence, Cambridge and Sussex.. if there are others, I'm sure someone here will point it out.

I seriously doubt that Clarence will be chosen, because that title is fraught with a bad history, and would be altogether a bad omen to bestow on the heir to the throne.

I am hoping that the BRF will save the Sussex title for Harry. I just fancy him as the Duke of Sussex - call it intuition or premonition or whatever you will.. I've always envisioned that title as belonging to him.

The last time the grandson of the sovereign/second in line to the throne entered the marriage market, he was created Duke of Clarence. It didn't turn out well, so probably best to not attract comparison.

I personally fancy Sussex. The son of George III with that title actually went against the grain of his brothers (Queen Victoria's "wicked uncles") and contracted a happy marriage. It just wasn't legal under the Royal Marriages Act so doesn't get a particularly high profile.

That really hasn't nothing to do with it. William went to St. Andrews in Scotland, but there's already an Earl of St. Andrews, so it's not likely the queen will name him the Duke of St. Andrews.

Where William went to college has no bearing on what dukedom the Queen may or may not bestow on him when he gets married.

Thank you -- I was wondering about that.

The title of the Duke of Windsor will be more distasteful in this regard. The Cambridge ducal title sounds to be the best choice.

I suppose that in the court circular, William & Kate will be refered to William's new title but people in media will carry on calling them as William & Kate.

No, it doesn't appear to be. An interesting note about the Duke of York title. Since its second creation in 1474, the title has never been passed on. Either the holder died without male issue or they became King. I also read something that stated that should Prince Harry's marriage predate the death of Prince Andrew, Harry could be created an earl, with the proviso that a new Duke of York will be created for him -- similar to Prince Edward and the dukedom of Edinburgh.

Quite honestly, I don't see Prince Harry ever becoming Duke of York. Here's why:

If the Queen lives and reigns to the age of 100 (which seems quite possible given the longevity of her mother) then the Prince of Wales will be 78 when he succeeds.. the Duke of York will be 66.. Prince William will be 44.. and Prince Harry will be 42.

Prince Harry will be married long before this (I certainly hope), and will have probably been created a Duke upon marriage.

By this time, too, Prince William may well have more than one son, the second of which could eventually be created Duke of York.. Remembering that this could not happen until the death of Prince Andrew, when the title reverts to the Crown.

William's second son would be closer to the line of succession, and it would therefore make more sense that he be created Duke of York.

There's also a 12 year age difference between the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York. Even if longevity isn't a factor, the Duke of York could easily outlast his brother and live well into William's reign..

So it doesn't make sense to me that Harry would be created earl of anything. More likely is that he will get his own dukedom upon marriage as we anticipate his brother will.

And if Prince Andrew marries again and has a son.. well that's also still possible, isn't it? The man is only 50, after all.. ;)

That certainly makes sense to me. The Duke of York is still quite young at 50 (from my perspective, anyway!)

I can't help noticing the precedent for the title of an adult grandson of a reigning monarch. Prince Albert Victor received the title of Duke of Clarence and Avondale from his grandmother, Queen Victoria. Prince George received the title of Duke of York. The previous Duke of Clarence had been Victoria's uncle who became king and the previous Duke of York was another of Victoria's uncles who died without a male heir. There were at least three generations between the old dukes and the new ones.

I don't believe we'll see the Duke of York title granted again for at least another generation, but the Queen could certainly find other dukedoms to bestow upon William and Harry. I am partial to Cambridge, but Clarence wouldn't be bad either, seeing as William has lived in Clarence House for some time.

Quite honestly, I don't see Prince Harry ever becoming Duke of York...
Very well said.

If Andrew remarried a woman say in her 30s he could very easily have a son making it a mute point about Harry getting that title anyway.

Another possiblity is that if William has a daughter first then the government could do away with the sexist inheritance laws - not only to the Crown but to titles and allow for daughters to inherit titles from their fathers. It has always seemed incongruous to me that Beatrice could become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.

Very well said.

If Andrew remarried a woman say in her 30s he could very easily have a son making it a mute point about Harry getting that title anyway.

Another possiblity is that if William has a daughter first then the government could do away with the sexist inheritance laws - not only to the Crown but to titles and allow for daughters to inherit titles from their fathers. It has always seemed incongruous to me that Beatrice could become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.

Well.. if Beatrice became Queen she wouldn't need her father's title.. she would be the Duke of Lancaster :D

What to Call Kate?

...Once married, Kate Middleton will unofficially become "Princess Catherine." The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales. Eventually, after many years and barring any unforeseen tragedy or divorce, she and William will become the Queen and King of England...
Article

And that is the long and the short of it given that William is William of Wales.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom