Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iluvbertie said:
see no problem with that - no difference to Duke and Duchess of xxxx - she is still giving up her own identity to take on his so...

You mean you won't be able to "recognize" Catherine if she becomes a duchess? ...interesting

Catherine will always be Catherine. She'll just be known publicly by a title. That's it. Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Somewhere.....doesn't matter. Everyone here will still call her Kate or Catherine, the press will call her Princess Kate/Catherine regardless.......so it doesn't really make sense for anyone here to get their feathers ruffled or their dander up over what she'll be called publicly. People will call her whatever they want, no matter what.

Feminism to me is much like PETA. There are many with good intentions, but there are too many who go overboard and make everyone else look bad. Catherine isn't losing anything by marrying William. Everyone gains. Marriage is addition, not subtraction. It doesn't matter what you're called now, or what you'll be called after.

I always enjoy your posts so much ! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sister Morphine an excellent post. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean you won't be able to "recognize" Catherine if she becomes a duchess? ...interesting

No I mean that her name and title change because she is marrying.

Men don't lost their names/titles etc on marriage but a woman does.

Simple - whether she is called HRH Princess William or Duchess of xxx or whatever it is because of whom she is marrying not because of anything she has done or who she is as an individual but because of whom she is marrying.

That is why I see no difference as to what feminine title she uses - it is all because of who she is marrying.

Iluvbertie said:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B

Iluvbertie said:

Simple - whether she is called HRH Princess William or Duchess of xxx or whatever it is because of whom she is marrying not because of anything she has done or who she is as an individual but because of whom she is marrying.

That is why I see no difference as to what feminine title she uses - it is all because of who she is marrying.

Most titles in the BRF are only affiliated with birth or marriage...

Should she remain Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton after she marries William? Hasn't this happened before...the wife of a royal prince not afforded a royal title? Nevertheless I don't think that will occur in this circumstance.

That being said I am of the strong conviction the William will be given a dukedom by the queen on his wedding day. I believe that he will be offered and will accept the Dukedom of Cambridge...he probably already has and the announcement will be made on the wedding day. I believe William has more in common with this dukedom than any other, save Cornwall & Rothesay...whether that is taken into consideration by her majesty's in making a decision....

just a thought, just a thought 

Iluvbertie said:

But to be fair don't all royals just get their title because of who their parents are and not anything they have actually done- they may accomplish great things later with the title but originally they haven't 'earned' it ad individual....Catherine may take her title from marriage but that doesn't mean she hasn't done anything as an individual (and to be honest I'm married and I earned the right to be Mrs X - if that's how I want to be known- marriage ain't easy! :) )

And some men do 'lose' their names- PrinceDaniel of Sweden's kids won't carryhis family name will they?

Last edited:
It has always been the tradition that the woman uses her husband's name after marriage. Not doing so is very recent. Many professional women continue to use their maiden name professionally. Catherine will be HRH Princess William instead of plain Mrs. William Wales. same difference. I have been a Mrs. for 50+ years and I still love being married. I hope William and Catherine love being married.

Catherine will always be Catherine. She'll just be known publicly by a title. That's it. Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Somewhere.....doesn't matter. Everyone here will still call her Kate or Catherine, the press will call her Princess Kate/Catherine regardless.......so it doesn't really make sense for anyone here to get their feathers ruffled or their dander up over what she'll be called publicly. People will call her whatever they want, no matter what.

Feminism to me is much like PETA. There are many with good intentions, but there are too many who go overboard and make everyone else look bad. Catherine isn't losing anything by marrying William. Everyone gains. Marriage is addition, not subtraction. It doesn't matter what you're called now, or what you'll be called after.

Absolutely!

Why of course she will get titles because of whom she is marrying! Most women do...even if it is just Mrs. John Smith.
But on your other point I would like to think of it a little differently..more like what she will do as an individual with a royal title...the causes she will support the attention she will bring to different charities ect..

Last edited:
But am I correct, cmkrcwi, that if William is not granted a dukedom, the pair will be known as Prince and Princess William of Wales -- without the "The?" That is unless the queen makes a special dispensation for Catherine to be styled in another manner...

Catherine automatically becomes "HRH Princess William of Wales" as the wife of a male-line grandson of The Sovereign. If William is not created a Peer, this will then be her style, similar to Princess Michael.

If The Queen chooses to do so, she may announce Catherine will be known as "HRH Princess Catherine" upon marriage, a style not normally accorded to wives of Princes of the UK, but nonetheless it can be allowed if HM gives her consent.

Otherwise, Catherine will be "HRH The Countess or Duchess of X" as the wife of a Royal Peer.

But am I correct, cmkrcwi, that if William is not granted a dukedom, the pair will be known as Prince and Princess William of Wales -- without the "The?" That is unless the queen makes a special dispensation for Catherine to be styled in another manner...

William (and by extension, Catherine) won't get the article "The" until Charles is King. Then she would be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall, etc.

Even though the media and others will refer to her as Princess Catherine, I think Princess William is fine. I mean when you get married you take your husband's name it's not like it's degrading or anything. I understand some women keep there maiden name or something but really...you don't lose an identity nor is it shameful. I'd want to take my husband's name it's special to me.

No topic though, it's not a tradition not even close for the queen to create women marrying into the family princesses in their own right. Yes other monarchies do it, but, as my mother used to remind me as a kid, "I'm your mother, not they're and you are my daughter". Same with the British. Yes you can argue Princess Alice, but that was totally different circumstances.

Come on Princess William has an.....interesting ring to it.

William's eldest son would be "HRH Prince X" if he retains his current style, not "of Wales". He would not be the child of The Prince of Wales.

So, his children's styles are irrelevant to the question because the 1917 Letters Patent already state how they will be styled at birth automatically. The issue is one of giving his wife an appropriate title of her own, rather than using "Princess William".

I believe this to be incorrect.

Okay... Say the Queen grants William and Catherine with a dukedom... some of the availble ones like Connaught, or Clarence. Will land and homes be included? Or would they have to create 'Holdings' for the dukedom themselves?

Whenever I look up current Dukes's on Wikipedia and such, its always states what Homes/Manors'/Castles belong to them through the title.

So I'm really curious to know if they will get land and grand homes with their dukedom...?

Last edited:
As things stand Kate will be styled Princess William of Wales. Lets keep it that way. and I hope she will still be referred to as Kate. not Catherine.
The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate

As things stand Kate will be styled Princess William of Wales. Lets keep it that way. and I hope she will still be referred to as Kate. not Catherine.
The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate . Too much change is very difficult to take.
Duchess of something or other sound elderly to me, whereas Princess doesnt. She looks like a princess

Throw the change my way..At my age.. I would LOVE a MAJOR transformation... he he

The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate

I believe her family call her "Catherine" and it's only friends (?) and media that calls her Kate. Personally, I'd call her Catherine, if not Princess William or whatever title/style she get. I know she doesn't' really care though what people call her. Somehow Kate sounds a bit too girlish for a person in her position, but don't mind me. :flowers:

Royal_Eagle said:
I believe her family call her "Catherine" and it's only friends (?) and media that calls her Kate.:

William has called her Kate..... She herself has said she's still very much Kate so Kate it is for me

Okay... Say the Queen grants William and Catherine with a dukedom... some of the availble ones like Connaught, or Clarence. Will land and homes be included? Or would they have to create 'Holdings' for the dukedom themselves?

Whenever I look up current Dukes's on Wikipedia and such, its always states what Homes/Manors'/Castles belong to them through the title.

So I'm really curious to know if they will get land and grand homes with their dukedom...?

Since no else has answered this, EchoLynn, it is my understanding that royal dukedoms (and earldoms for that matter) do not necessarily include land or income, but the king or queen who creates the dukedom may make a gift of properrty to the new holder of the title. For example, The queen gave the Duke of York Sunninghill Park (which he sold a couple of years ago). Now he lives at Royal Lodge, Windsor, a house that belongs to the Queen, which he has paid to renovate in lieu of paying rent. The Earl of Wessex lives at Bagshot Park in Surrey, a large house. I am not sure if it was an outright gift from the Queen. If so, he can pass it down to his heir, Viscount Severn. The Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl of WEssex inherited valuable trusts from their grandmother, the Queen Mother, so they do have significant financial assets.

The Crown Estate owns Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park as well as Windsor Great Park, which is where Andrew built his first home, Sunninghill Park, after his marriage to Sarah. Andrew's home was built as a gift from The Queen, but the land itself was acquired on a 99-year leasehold from the Crown Estate.

Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park are held from the Crown Estate on 99-year leaseholds. The Queen paid for the renovations of both homes as well as the cost of renewing the leases out of her private purse as a gift to her two sons.

The Crown Estate is inseparable from the Crown itself and belongs effectively to the State. Legally, however, The Sovereign still owns the assets and must formally agree to surrender the revenues to the Government at the beginning of each new reign.

In any case, there is no connection between any Peerage granted to the members of the royal family and land, with the exception of the Duchy of Cornwall, held by the eldest son and heir to the throne, and the Duchy of Lancaster, held by the Crown itself.

William (and by extension, Catherine) won't get the article "The" until Charles is King. Then she would be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall, etc.

I don't believe I have ever heard a Royal Duchess referred to as "The Princess (her husband's name)". Once Charles is King and she is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Rothsay, I would assume that she would use those titles. (That is assuming that William was not already made a Royal Duke on his wedding day.) Usually it is considered quite honor enough to be HRH The Duchess of Such and Such. In Catherine's case she would soon, if not instantly, become The Princess of Wales when William was invested as Prince of Wales as well! Why on earth would she want to call herself, "The Princess William"?

rawsilk

Last edited:
rawsilk said:
I don't believe I have ever heard a Royal Duchess referred to as "The Princess (her husband's name)". Once Charles is King and she is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Rothsay, I would assume that she would use those titles. (That is assuming that William was not already made a Royal Duke on his wedding day.) Usually it is considered quite honor enough to be HRH The Duchess of Such and Such. In Catherine's case she would soon, if not instantly, become The Princess of Wales when William was invested as Prince of Wales as well! Why on earth would she want to call herself, "The Princess William"?

rawsilk

But.... I think technically it is how they can be called- Camilla while call the DOC has an officially title of The Princess Charles, Duchess of Cornwall etc.....,yes?

rawsilk

If William isn't created a Duke on or before his wedding day and if the Queen doesn't change the traditional way things are done in Britain then she will officially be HRH Princess William of Wales as he has no other title.

The British Royal Family have traditionally only allowed princesses born as such to be HRH Princess own name e.g. Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne and Alexandra while those who marry in are Princess husband's name e.g. Princess Michael of Kent (Diana was never officially Princess Diana but The Princess Charles. As Charles had other titles Diana used those but she was still The Princess Charles).

If William isn't created a Duke on or before his wedding day and if the Queen doesn't change the traditional way things are done in Britain then she will officially be HRH Princess William of Wales as he has no other title.

The British Royal Family have traditionally only allowed princesses born as such to be HRH Princess own name e.g. Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne and Alexandra while those who marry in are Princess husband's name e.g. Princess Michael of Kent (Diana was never officially Princess Diana but The Princess Charles. As Charles had other titles Diana used those but she was still The Princess Charles).

You misinterpreted my posting. I am aware that after their marriage, if William has not been made a royal duke, that Catherine will be, "Princess William of Wales". What I said was that if Prince Charles becomes King, that it is unlikely that Catherine will ever style herself as, "The Princess William of Wales" as one poster suggested!!! Please reread my original posting.

rawsilk

Well, what about HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, who was born the Lady Alice Christabel Montagu Douglas Scott? She was the wife of a Royal Duke (William of Gloucester), yet was addressed as Princess Alice throughout her very long life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom