Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I now like Duke of Albany because its Scottish association. Does anyone know if there any legal issues coming from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs if the Queen were to grant William (or anyone for that matter) their former title?

The Dukedom of Albany is still extant, but suspended under the Titles Deprivation Act. However, the Coburgs still have the legal right under the Act to petition the Crown for restoration of their peerages, so it's not available to be created as a dukedom.

It could be created as something else (i.e. Earl of Albany), but this is highly unlikely.

I now like Duke of Albany because its Scottish association. Does anyone know if there any legal issues coming from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs if the Queen were to grant William (or anyone for that matter) their former title?

Simple answer - yes - there is a legal impediment.

The Duke of Albany title isn't available as there are claimants. It will only become available again in the same way as any other title - when there are no more male heirs - and the title merges with the Crown.

Wow how do you guys know all this??? In particular branchg re the Duke if Albany title et sequelae!

Wow how do you guys know all this??? In particular branchg re the Duke if Albany title et sequelae!

We read, we have an interest and retain it, we teach it, we have grown up with it etc.

My brother remembers football scores from 30 years ago in particular games because that is his interest - same thing - we retain information of interest to us and forget the rest.

Ah. Well I guess that since my awareness is only a few years on as far as this stuff is concerned I can forgive myself for being still a learner.

Ah. Well I guess that since my awareness is only a few years on as far as this stuff is concerned I can forgive myself for being still a learner.

I say you could still forgive yourself for still being a learner when you would have years of awareness. Even the most educated people still don't know everything, it's only natural :)

I am always learning stuff here and elsewhere. Don't worry that someone knows more as you will have your own area of expertise.

Thanks everyone for responding to my question! I knew I could count on fellow royal forum fans to know the answer.

Hello everyone. I am making my first post on here today. I feel that the Clarence Dukedom will be given to the Prince because the last Duke of Clarence was the last King William.

Hello everyone. I am making my first post on here today. I feel that the Clarence Dukedom will be given to the Prince because the last Duke of Clarence was the last King William.

Reverse that...the last British king named William (William IV) was a Duke of Clarence...

Hi,

William IV was 'a' Duke of Clarence; but not the last:
Prince Albert Victor, elder son of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra was the 'last' Duke of Clarence. He was in the same position as the current William - the Heir to the Heir of Queen Victoria.
He would have been king in the eventual future, except he died young of influenza & pneumonia...

A previous Duke of Clarence (a brother of Edward IV) died young also - purportedly drowned in a vat of malmsey wine - a supposed traitor to the king...

All in all - not a great portent for the Clarence title!!

Still, I could live with it; but I like Cambridge better...

Larry

The present Duke of Richmond and his son & grandsons probably fancy keeping that title in their own family, as it has been for the last 335 years.

Oh. Oops!:ohmy:

What about Duke of Buckingham?
The first Duke was such a colorful character!

There isn't a Duke of Buckingham, however there is a Viscount Cobham, which was one of the subsiduary titles.

Duke of Albany, perhaps? I still vote for Cambridge, with the attendant matching emeralds!

Duke of Albany is a deprived title, and only the lineal male heirs of the 2nd Duke of Albany have the right to petition the British Crown for the restoration of his peerages.

Not sure, EmpressRouge; but I believe Ernst can have it if he wants it. Perhaps they have to reserve it for him -- no matter what.

The rightful heir of the title of Duke of Albany is not Ernst, it is Hubertus, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, great-grandson of the last duke. He has no claim to the German ducal title, as his father married morgantically, but in the British peerage he retains the right to inherit the Duke of Albanny.

It is interesting to note, though since he is in the female line he can't inherit, King Carl-Gustav of Sweden is the last Duke's grandson, his mother being the Princess Sibilla, the duke's eldest daughter.

St. Andrews might be taken, but a Scottish would be very appropriate since the couple met there. Throwing random ideas out there (if any of these are impossible or already exists, please correct me): something new like Duke of Glasgow? Duke of Aberdeenshire? Duke of Balmoral? Duke of Ross? The most royal would be Duke of Albany (as long as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs don't mind)

Never been a duke of Glasgow. There is an earl of Glasgow though, Patrick Boyle, 10th earl of Glasgow, chief of clan Boyle. So it might be a bit odd to make a Duke of Glasgow, unless it was Patrick.

The last Duke of Ross was Alexander Stuart, youngest son of James IV. But Ross I think there is too much association, a link to the clan name Ross.

Balmoral is a castle not a dutchy.

Like Glasgow, no ducal title, but Aberdeen has a Marquess. Alexander Gordon, 7th Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair currently holds the title. Again if anyone was to be granted the title, it would likely be Alexander Gordon who has three sons and one daughter to follow him.

Albany is not extinct, so it can't be given. Even if the current heir does not choose to claim it, his children and so on could.
So really Ross is the only one which I can see having a chance.

Last edited:
Duke of Albany, perhaps? I still vote for Cambridge, with the attendant matching emeralds!

Until there are no 'male heirs of the body' eligible to claim the title the Albany title is not available. It will have to be extinct before it can be recreated - just like any other title.

The rightful heir of the title of Duke of Albany is not Ernst, it is Hubertus, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, great-grandson of the last duke. He has no claim to the German ducal title, as his father married morgantically, but in the British peerage he retains the right to inherit the Duke of Albanny.

It is interesting to note, though since he is in the female line he can't inherit, King Carl-Gustav of Sweden is the last Duke's grandson, his mother being the Princess Sibilla, the duke's eldest daughter.

Actually the Saxe-Coburg Heir is alsoa Prince Hubertus as the oldest son of the present head of the House, Prince Andreas is also named Hubertus.

Actually the Saxe-Coburg Heir is alsoa Prince Hubertus as the oldest son of the present head of the House, Prince Andreas is also named Hubertus.

Did I question that? I am confused by your defensiveness. I said Ernst was not heir, that the Hubertus I mentioned was.

Queen Victoria's son Leopold had one son Charles, who was stripped of the title Duke of Albanny. Charles had five children. His eldest Johan had three children, including the Ernst I assume the original post was about. Ernst would have a claim, except for the fact he is dead. His eldest son, Leopold's great-great grandson is the Hubertus I spoke of. Since the death of his father, Ernst has no claim as he is dead, he is the rightful claimant of Duke of Albanny.

Leopold's daughter Sibilla married into Sweden, and is mother of the current King of Sweden

the third child was Prince Hubertus who died in action without marrying.

fourth was Princess Caroline, married some count, like Sibilla she is female so her heirs don't count

then fifth and last we have Friedrick Josias, father of the Andreas you speak of (one of his many christian names is Hubertus, but last in the list, he is in no way Hubertus as well) and his eldest son is Prince Hubertus, he also has a son and another daughter

So for Albanny not to be extinct there is no shortage of male heirs. Prince Hubertus (the one with the claim) has a son Sebastien. He also has three half brothers from his father's second marriage (2 half sisters from second and third marriage but again no inheritance rights). Ernst also had a younger brother, who had two sons.Then it would pass to the Andreas you spoke of, his son Hubertus, or Hubertus' younger brother Alexander. Andreas also has a younger brother Prince Adrian, who has two sons Simon and Daniel from his first marriage. These are all male line descendents, with a claim, as do any sons they have in the future, so I doubt William will ever be duke of Albanny, unless something like King Ralph happens, and a huge disaster falls the family at a family reunion.

Last edited:
Did I question that? I am confused by your defensiveness. I said Ernst was not heir, that the Hubertus I mentioned was.

Queen Victoria's son Leopold had one son Charles, who was stripped of the title Duke of Albanny. Charles had five children. His eldest Johan had three children, including the Ernst I assume the original post was about. Ernst would have a claim, except for the fact he is dead. His eldest son, Leopold's great-great grandson is the Hubertus I spoke of. Since the death of his father, Ernst has no claim as he is dead, he is the rightful claimant of Duke of Albanny.

Leopold's daughter Sibilla married into Sweden, and is mother of the current King of Sweden

the third child was Prince Hubertus who died in action without marrying.

fourth was Princess Caroline, married some count, like Sibilla she is female so her heirs don't count

then fifth and last we have Friedrick Josias, father of the Andreas you speak of (one of his many christian names is Hubertus, but last in the list, he is in no way Hubertus as well) and his eldest son is Prince Hubertus, he also has a son and another daughter

I pointed it only out because both the claimant to the Dukedom of Albany and the heir to the headship of the House Saxe-Coburg and Gotha are named Hubertus. Otherwise it could be that they are mixed and people get cofused.

I think the duchy of Sussex is the most appropriate since the others are taken or not suitable. However, Katey might not like the explosion of sibilants within duchess of Sussex. Clarence is unlucky. Cambridge is too elitist in this mass, lottery-mad era and he didnt make it to Oxbridge. HM might end up doing a Wessex: arise the Dook of Khazad Dum.

I think the duchy of Sussex is the most appropriate since the others are taken or not suitable. However, Katey might not like the explosion of sibilants within duchess of Sussex. Clarence is unlucky. Cambridge is too elitist in this mass, lottery-mad era and he didnt make it to Oxbridge. HM might end up doing a Wessex: arise the Dook of Khazad Dum.

As the previous Dukes of Cambridge didn't go to Cambridge why would it matter that William decided to go to a different uni?

Duke of Berkshire, Earl of Ross and Viscount Tawe.

Last edited:
Windsor was a castle and they made a dukedom out of it? I doubt he will get any of the dukedoms I suggested but one can always let her mind wander :rolleyes:

Windsor is not just a castle. Windsor is a town and a royal burough, for which the castle was named. Balmoral is just a castle.

Duke of Berkshire, Earl of Ross and Viscount Tawe.

The royal burough of Windsor is in Berkshire. I assume the Duke of Windsor was likely so titled,instead of Duke of Berkshire, because of the current holder of the title. There is no Duke, but there is the Earl of Berkshire. Michael John James George Robert Howard, 21st Earl of Suffolk, 14th Earl of Berkshire and his only son as heir, the viscount Andover.

The title of Ross has historically belonged with Moray, as the original Scottish earldomes (7) included Earl of Moray and Ross. The current Earl of Moray though doesn't contain the title, so it is possible for it to be reinstated.

The last is a river, and I don't think they usually make a viscount of a body of water. It runs in Glengorn and mainly through the city of Swansea, some of which have titles in use.

The last is a river, and I don't think they usually make a viscount of a body of water. It runs in Glengorn and mainly through the city of Swansea, some of which have titles in use.

Viscount Severn does come to mind - it is a river.

What does William's choice of university have to do with whether he's given the title Duke of Cambridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom