Prince of Wales or Alternate Title for William?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoted from iluvbertie: "If Harry were to marry before William I would expect William to get a Dukedom first anyway to have the older title."

I don't think Harry will be "allowed" to marry before William. It's a good way to control the distribution of titles. All the Queen's sons married in birth order. A coincidence --- perhaps.

Not really a coincidence at all. When Charles got married, Andrew was only 21 years of age and Edward was still a minor (17 years old). :)

yes, they may be used as courtesy titles.

They cannot as these Earldoms are not hereditary in the Peerage.

Earl of Chester is granted by The Sovereign, together with Prince of Wales, to the male heir to the throne. Earl of Carrick is restricted to the eldest son and heir to the throne, along with the other titles automatically assumed. They cannot pass to a son or grandson, but can only pass by right of status or personal grant.

William and Harry are HRH Princes of the UK automatically in their own right and do not have any need for courtesy styles. They have their own titles which take precedence.

Quoted from iluvbertie: "If Harry were to marry before William I would expect William to get a Dukedom first anyway to have the older title."

I don't think Harry will be "allowed" to marry before William. It's a good way to control the distribution of titles. All the Queen's sons married in birth order. A coincidence --- perhaps.

Hardly a coincidence considering the age difference between Charles and his younger brothers and even the fact that there are four years between Andrew and Edward.

A better example would be the sons of George V which most definitely didn't marry in birth order - Duke of York, Duke of Kent, Duke of Gloucester, Duke of Windsor (at time of marriage) - so it went 2nd, 4th, 3rd and then 1st.

I have to admit I still don't get their new titles - so is he no longer a prince and she not a princess? Or do they have these titles in addition to the new ones?

I have to admit I still don't get their new titles - so is he no longer a prince and she not a princess? Or do they have these titles in addition to the new ones?

He most certainly is still a Prince and will remain a Prince until he becomes King.

Most of us here argue that as the wife of a prince she is now a princess but there is some discussion about that on another thread.

i will bet my last doughnut and a banana to boot that the next title William gets that will make him smile is Daddy.

Perhaps all these "musings" will be in vain.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are on a march towards freedom from the UK and England.

The three "devolved administrations" will gradually - or not so gradually - carve out their own route(s) to autonomy.

Goodbye, UK/England, and the sooner the better.

i will bet my last doughnut and a banana to boot that the next title William gets that will make him smile is Daddy.

And what a worthy title to have! :)

Iluvbertie said:
He most certainly is still a Prince and will remain a Prince until he becomes King.

Most of us here argue that as the wife of a prince she is now a princess but there is some discussion about that on another thread.

Yes, the title of the 'Duke of Cambridge' is an added title bestowed on HRH Prince William of Wales. His new bride, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, is a princess but not in her own right because she was not born into royalty. Her official title is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess William of Wales. I had read this bit of information online right after the Duke and Duchess were married on April 29th of this year. If any of my facts are not correct, I know no one will hesitate to state otherwise.

Yes, the title of the 'Duke of Cambridge' is an added title bestowed on HRH Prince William of Wales. His new bride, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, is a princess but not in her own right because she was not born into royalty. Her official title is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess William of Wales. I had read this bit of information online right after the Duke and Duchess were married on April 29th of this year. If any of my facts are not correct, I know no one will hesitate to state otherwise.

There is some confusion because an unnamed spokesman from BP has made the following statement:

Kate?s Only A Duchess, Not A Princess? Yet - Entertainment & Stars

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace told the media: "She [Kate] is not a princess in her own right. That title has not been conferred on her. Her title is that of duchess. So she is not Princess Catherine. And to call her Princess William of Wales is misleading."

Royal wedding: William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | UK news | guardian.co.uk

This is what has led to some confusion as it also implies that she isn't Princess William.

Iluvbertie said:
There is some confusion because an unnamed spokesman from BP has made the following statement:

Kate?s Only A Duchess, Not A Princess? Yet - Entertainment & Stars

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace told the media: "She [Kate] is not a princess in her own right. That title has not been conferred on her. Her title is that of duchess. So she is not Princess Catherine. And to call her Princess William of Wales is misleading."

Royal wedding: William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | UK news | guardian.co.uk

This is what has led to some confusion as it also implies that she isn't Princess William.

Iluvbertie,
Many thanx to you for providing the correct information about HRH the Duchess of Cambridge's official title. I knew that someone had the official information in their possession.

Notice they said misleading, not wrong.....

So true but of course she isn't Princess Catherine as she wasn't a princess born and the British stick to their traditions.

Poor Kate ..... only a duchess ..... my heart goes out to her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom