Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, General News 4: Apr 2018-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, General News Part 4: April 2018

Its a wonderful thing for a family to do. While making cards for Granny Diana, I can imagine there were a lot of stories passed on to the kids that brought Diana to life for them.

It really is lovely. I’m sure it means a lot to William.

Last edited:
The cake, Middleton family pic, and the cards to Granny Diana are lovely. William and Kate are doing a wonderful job raising their children. George, Charlotte, Louis, and William are lucky to have Kate.

I agree. Catherine seems to be a very grounded, thoughtful person.

This is all lovely.

Goodness they have wonderful handwriting for their ages particular Louis!

I think that this is horrible. When I first read the story in the Daily Mail, I thought it was a joke. It is a terrible invasion of privacy for the children.

Lucy Scot-It was originally shared on the Kensington Royal social media, so it was authorized by William and Catherine. ?

It's done on purpose to share. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to be public. The Cambridges are doing a fab job with their children.
I agree poppy7 and IMO now that nearly all royal houses have their own social media accounts, they can authorize when to share photos, videos or artwork of and from the children in their respective houses. The mass photo-calls are not as frequent as they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's when today's younger monarchs and heirs were growing up, so the parents have more control over the situation than in previous decades.

Last edited:
That cake looks good. And nice to see a new Middleton family picture.

I agree that the cards are done to be released to be the public to highlight from a personal perspective the people who've lost their mothers and feel the loss especially today.

Also possibly a touch of "she's my mother too" from William to a certain someone.

There is little Kate and her mum on the second photo?

Another KP tweet with photos of a special cake and a photo of a pregnant Carole Middleton with a toddler Catherine.

I just realized something for the first time when I read Charlotte's note. (BTW rather impressed that she's attempting cursive writing at her age.)

William is known as "Papa" by his children just like Charles and Phillip were "Papa" to their kids. ?

Last edited:
Goodness they have wonderful handwriting for their ages particular Louis!

I doubt he can write. They obviously had him draw over it. Or more likely guided his hand.

Some schools go all out for cursive from the age of four. With children being thought recursive. I don't agree with it.

Very sweet. And yes, I doubt Louis can write. Just too young. But it wouldn't do to leave him out.

I doubt he can write. They obviously had him draw over it. Or more likely guided his hand.

Some schools go all out for cursive from the age of four. With children being thought recursive. I don't agree with it.

In my home state of California, I was teaching cursive to my students at the end of second and in third grade. When my kids went to school, they were learning it around the same age, but there was not as great an emphasis as when I was a child and when I was teaching full time.

However I have seen high school seniors who can barely sign their names. :ohmy:

I have to admit I am not having a good response to the Mother's Day tribute to Diana on behalf of William by his three kids. I understand addressing the bereavement and being apart from loved ones during the pandemic but doing that by sharing that William's children make Mother's Day cards for William for a grandmother they never met is too much to unpack, for me at least.

Also, I am also put off regarding this being disclosed at this particular time. Some royal detractors in general, and Cambridge detractors in particular, have accused the royals of using their children as deflection when they are under fire. I usually don't agree with that accusation, but that thought crossed my mind in this particular instance.

On another note, I am struck by the fact that the Cambridge children write in cursive. I learned cursive as a child but I've heard that many US schools no longer teach cursive, or alternatively it is taught but many students don't master cursive due to so much work being done on computers.

You can never please detractors, they always find something.
That is why they are called detractors.

There is a huge difference in remembering and reminiscing a dead grandparent VS worshipping and beatifying one. Sometimes and it’s only my opinion but the Diana all remembering, tributes and gets close to Victorian levels of unhealthy and Morbid . But I trust William and Kate have more common sense than that.

I'm surprised that people think it odd that the children made cards to remember Granny Diana on Mothering Sunday.

I'm pushing 70 so have been through many Mother's Day in the US with my own mother and as a mother myself. I distinctly remember as a kid giving my mom a red rose corsage for Mother's Day (bought by my dad of course) before we headed to church. She looked at me and thanked me and remarked that if I looked around in church that day and see the mothers that have white roses in their corsages, it meant that their mothers were no longer with them but they're missed and honored and remembered just as much as living mothers are.

ETA: My mom's meaning of her red roses meant that *her* mother, my grandmother, was still alive. Just had to clarify here.

Last edited:
In a piece in the Telegraph today Gordon Rayner says that KP aren’t stupid, they know absolutely everything is going to be perceived as cold calculated PR for a long time. He was talking about Kate’s appearance at the vigil but it applies here as well.

I think there are things to unpack in the cards to Diana, more so than if they’d just posted the cake and picture of Carol and Kate together but they’re aware of what people would think and they did it anyway. Compared to some of the things people who never even met Diana have done for her it’s fairly mild and they are going to grow up with her legacy and the expectations some people put on them because of that. Nearly as much as the Windsor legacy in some cases.

Maybe they think it needed to be said after a year of Covid? Maybe William is feeling his mother’s loss very acutely with everything going on? Maybe it really is an unsubtle “don’t hijack her just for you, Harry!” shot? Maybe he just really wanted them to do a tribute? Maybe Charlotte and George wanted to as they did cards to everyone else? No doubt PR was also a factor but that can be applied even in normal times.

When I saw the cards it reminded me a bit of seeing HM and Philip looking at the card George, Charlotte and Louis made for their anniversary.

In a piece in the Telegraph today Gordon Rayner says that KP aren’t stupid, they know absolutely everything is going to be perceived as cold calculated PR for a long time. He was talking about Kate’s appearance at the vigil but it applies here as well.

I think there are things to unpack in the cards to Diana, more so than if they’d just posted the cake and picture of Carol and Kate together but they’re aware of what people would think and they did it anyway. Compared to some of the things people who never even met Diana have done for her it’s fairly mild and they are going to grow up with her legacy and the expectations some people put on them because of that. Nearly as much as the Windsor legacy in some cases.

Maybe they think it needed to be said after a year of Covid? Maybe William is feeling his mother’s loss very acutely with everything going on? Maybe it really is an unsubtle “don’t hijack her just for you, Harry!” shot? Maybe he just really wanted them to do a tribute? Maybe Charlotte and George wanted to as they did cards to everyone else? No doubt PR was also a factor but that can be applied even in normal times.

I agree Heavs that especially with a year like we've all experienced there are so many people who will be remembering a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother who did not survive 2020. IMO it's a nice tribute and as far as I know, this is the first time they've ever mentioned Diana in a Mother's Day post. Glad to see that they acknowledged Carole too.

On another note, I am struck by the fact that the Cambridge children write in cursive. I learned cursive as a child but I've heard that many US schools no longer teach cursive, or alternatively it is taught but many students don't master cursive due to so much work being done on computers.

Alas cursive handwriting is part of the national curriculum here. Oddly Charlotte’s handwriting is a lot better than George’s.

Alas cursive handwriting is part of the national curriculum here. Oddly Charlotte’s handwriting is a lot better than George’s.

Not adopted by many and over adopted by others.

Charlotte's writing is very very good. She is an earlier in the year birth however and a girl.

Things have really changed since I rode to grade school on my dinosaur. We were required to use pencil and print until we reached the 5th grade where we were allowed to graduate to using a cartridge ink pen and start writing in cursive. That was a big *major* grown up move back then for us kids. :lol:

I think W&K seem to be focussing big celebration days on those who may find those days hard for some reason or another - there was a post on Catherine's birthday about birthday being very different recently and thanking key workers. I don't doubt that the children do make cards for Diana and William at this special time to mark his mother no longer being with him, especially as Catherine is so close to her mother. They did also post celebrating Catherine and Carole as mothers so I guess they just felt it right to also acknowledge Diana, especially in the year they will unveil a new memorial statue to her.

There is also a big trend at the moment in the UK to acknowledging that Mothers Day can be a really hard time for some people e.g those who have lost their mother. I have genuinely had e-mails form pretty much every company I'm signed up to for email newsletters etc (mainly retail companies) giving the option to opt out of any mother's day related posts/emails so I think there is a trend towards acknowledging it is not always a happy day for everyone or is a mixture of emotions.

As for the handwriting - I'd say both are neat for their ages and I am not at all surprised that Charlotte's is neater than George's - girls do tend to have neater handwriting than boys especially at a young age - hence why I've just marked all the homework from the girls in my class of 6 year olds first - now for the deciphering!

Last edited:
Lovely cards! However, the Diana part is a bit "odd". I understand the purpose of mother's day and William remembering his dear mother. But I fail to understand the kids' part, because they clearly wrote what their parents told them to. How can you miss someone you never met? I have no doubts that William shares many stories of his mother with his children, but that's not my point if you know what I mean.

I used cursive writing as a child. I think all kids in Elementary School use cursive in Portugal. But when you go to Middle School that changes a bit. I began using computers and phone when I went to Middle School and that influenced my writing. Though that was 20 years ago...

Last edited:
Lovely cards! However, the Diana part is a bit "odd". I understand the purpose of mother's day and William remembering his dear mother. But I fail to understand the kids' part, because they clearly wrote what their parents told them to. How can you miss someone you never met? I have no doubts that William shares many stories of his mother with his children, but that's not my point if you know what I mean.

I used cursive writing as a child. I think all kids in Elementary School use cursive. But when you go to Middle School that changes a bit. I began using computers and phone when I went to Middle School and that influenced my writing. Though that was 20 years ago...

It's PR. I wouldn't think too much about it.

It's PR. I wouldn't think too much about it.
Indeed:flowers: Though I must say that I'm impressed with Charlotte's writing. She is not yet 6 years old, and she writes so well. I wouldn't be surprised if she had talent for drawings and such.

Who did the drawing with nature?

I think W&K seem to be focussing big celebration days on those who may find those days hard for some reason or another - there was a post on Catherine's birthday about birthday being very different recently and thanking key workers. I don't doubt that the children do make cards for Diana and William at this special time to mark his mother no longer being with him, especially as Catherine is so close to her mother. They did also post celebrating Catherine and Carole as mothers so I guess they just felt it right to also acknowledge Diana, especially in the year they will unveil a new memorial statue to her.

There is also a big trend at the moment in the UK to acknowledging that Mothers Day can be a really hard time for some people e.g those who have lost their mother. I have genuinely had e-mails form pretty much every company I'm signed up to for email newsletters etc (mainly retail companies) giving the option to opt out of any mother's day related posts/emails so I think there is a trend towards acknowledging it is not always a happy day for everyone or is a mixture of emotions.

As for the handwriting - I'd say both are neat for their ages and I am not at all surprised that Charlotte's is neater than George's - girls do tend to have neater handwriting than boys especially at a young age - hence why I've just marked all the homework from the girls in my class of 6 year olds first - now for the deciphering![/QUOTE]

Ah yes I've had to do my fair share of deciphering written work over the years. I have had to remind myself more than once that "of" is not spelled like "ov" and that "wuz" is not the correct spelling for "was." :lol:

I agree that this year has been especially difficult for nearly every nation on Earth and that any holiday that honors or remembers family members will be very difficult for some who unexpectedly had to say goodbye to loved ones.

I like the fact that Prince George and Princess Charlotte are learning cursive.
When I attended grade school, one handwriting teacher gave the impression that she was conducting an orchestra as she made the outline of an alphabet letter in the air.

Lucy Scot-It was originally shared on the Kensington Royal social media, so it was authorized by William and Catherine. ?

Oh, I know that. I still think that it was inappropriate.

I would think William and Kate are the best judges and know what is appropriate for their family or not :).

A great PR exercise by Kensington Palace for Mother’s Day UK. Anyone looking at that cake would know that a seven and five year old couldnt be responsible for it. They may both have stirred the mixture and stuck some of the decorations on top, I don’t know, but I do know that was not baked by primary school kids, let alone a two year old. Probably baked IMO in the KP apartment kitchen by domestic staff.

As for the cards, why haven’t we seen the Mothers Day cards from George and/or Charlotte to Diana before now? If that was George and Charlotte’s idea and not one that sprang from the Comms aides at KP I’ll eat my hat! It’s so obvious it is practically shouting ‘Look at this!’

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom