The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Well for a birthday perhaps one with his cake but William dosn't want the public to see a single thing about their lives and that's why the backgrounds are always blurred out too. As I said, the pictures never give the impression of being released with any goodwill towards the public but they basically have to to it if they want the Monarchy to continue.
The backgrounds are blurred because Kate is using a common photography technique called bokeh. Newer iPhones try and emulate the look, but true bokeh comes from a DSLR camera and a photographer experienced in shooting manually. She is a very good photographer.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Majesty

The photo is wonderful, you can see that he is a happy boy.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I actually like the pictures that just totally focus on the subject such as George's birthday picture. His birthday is all about him and that's exactly what we see. Pure and unadulterated George.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well for a birthday perhaps one with his cake but William dosn't want the public to see a single thing about their lives and that's why the backgrounds are always blurred out too. As I said, the pictures never give the impression of being released with any goodwill towards the public but they basically have to to it if they want the Monarchy to continue.
If that would be so, then they would never release a picture at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The photo is wonderful, you can see that he is a happy boy.

That is what I see, too.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Nobility

Wonderful photo of the lad. Nice looking boy.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Cute picture, I can't believe he's eight, he's really growing up.

For my two cents, I think they generally walk the line with the pictures quite well. No there aren't "birthday boy surrounded by cake and cards" pictures but this one has him sitting on a Land Rover Defender in a call back to Prince Philip. It's not a new detail but it is a nice touch.

His other birthday pictures recently have shown him in a camo top and the England strip laughing his head off which shows something of his personality beyond the somewhat shy looks he has on huge occasions. Louis of course had the famous rainbow hands set of pictures last year which was both fun and very appropriate.

Some thought the more intimate "mother's day cards to Granny Diana" were a bit too much others liked them and the cake to Kate started a bit of a debate about if they actually helped make it.

I think there's no right or wrong opinion on what they're showing. I don't think the pictures seem grudging but I don't think they're ever going to be as open as Victoria and Daniel are with Estelle either.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The birthday pics they release look the same for all the children, just a close up of their faces smiling. It's a shame they can't put out nicer ones as I always think it makes the pictures look grudged , as though they only do it because they more or less have to.
There is a balance between under and over exposure ( no pun intended) William is trying to keep that balance.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Cute picture, I can't believe he's eight, he's really growing up.

For my two cents, I think they generally walk the line with the pictures quite well. No there aren't "birthday boy surrounded by cake and cards" pictures but this one has him sitting on a Land Rover Defender in a call back to Prince Philip. It's not a new detail but it is a nice touch.

His other birthday pictures recently have shown him in a camo top and the England strip laughing his head off which shows something of his personality beyond the somewhat shy looks he has on huge occasions. Louis of course had the famous rainbow hands set of pictures last year which was both fun and very appropriate.

Some thought the more intimate "mother's day cards to Granny Diana" were a bit too much others liked them and the cake to Kate started a bit of a debate about if they actually helped make it.

I think there's no right or wrong opinion on what they're showing. I don't think the pictures seem grudging but I don't think they're ever going to be as open as Victoria and Daniel are with Estelle either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
There is a balance between under and over exposure ( no pun intended) William is trying to keep that balance.
I have to agree, I think they are doing well to maintain the balance.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Happy birthday to George I can't belive he is already 8!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:20 PM

To be honest, this photo is similar to that of his 7th birthday, which is similar to that of his 6th birthday... All of them have George smiling in the foreground and the background is blurry.
I see no resemblance to William, but I see a lot of Michael Middleton (face shape, smile, eyes colour) and Charles Spencer (eyes shape, hair colour/pattern). I agree that Kate and William are doing a great job of managing the image of their children, because they show them to the public without over-exposing them.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I actually like the pictures that just totally focus on the subject such as George's birthday picture. His birthday is all about him and that's exactly what we see. Pure and unadulterated George.
When I see see old pictures of, for example, the Queen as a child, I’m interested in what she looked like, who she resembled, and sometimes what she was wearing. Sure, in some of the pictures she’s posing with a toy or you can see a bit of the background, but I think the value in these pictures having been taken is that we get a clear picture of the child who would come to play an important role in British public life.

So I agree, I like that for these individual birthday pictures they stick with simple, clear shots that will stand the test of time.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:39 PM
Nobility

I like the pictures of the children smiling. It's them I click to see, not their surroundings and their lives. At this age, they are still enough of children for this to not matter this much.

The pictures are extremely nice for me. These smiles tell me "You were happy and I was there to catch this moment." And also, "You are so important and I took the time to come and watch."

Over-exposure is something these particular parents should be mindful of. As a teenager, I used to think Diana was such a great mother for always having fun with her kids. I mean, she was documented doing so! Now, I think she leaned heavily on over-exposure and I'm not sure it was this great for her sons. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't.

Less is more, sometimes. A birthday is about the birthday child.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Courtier

I think he will take after Michael Middleton. He has his features.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:38 AM
Administrator

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released a new photo of Princess Charlotte to encourage people to take part in the Big Butterfly Count today, August 7:

** Pic ** Twitter post ** Instagram post **

** standard: Princess Charlotte joins the Big Butterfly Count conservation project **
Old 08-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful photo of Princess Charlotte.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:26 PM
Royal Highness

Beautiful picture of Charlotte and beautiful picture generally. Very impressive work by the DoC.

Charlotte has such striking highlights these days.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post

Over-exposure is something these particular parents should be mindful of. As a teenager, I used to think Diana was such a great mother for always having fun with her kids. I mean, she was documented doing so! Now, I think she leaned heavily on over-exposure and I'm not sure it was this great for her sons. In fact, I'm sure it wasn't.
I think they're being very careful. Some nasty comments were made, by people outside England, about George looking upset after the Euro 2020 final. Anyone would look upset if their team had just lost a final on penalties - I certainly did!- but apparently there were some sarcastic comments on social media. And now there's this horrible American cartoon with Orlando Bloom, poking fun at George. I don't know what sort of person thinks it's funny to mock an 8-year-old child, but evidently some people do. This is the first generation to be growing up in the glare of social media so I think they'll be very careful to avoid too much exposure.

Lovely pictures of Charlotte.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge released a new photo of Princess Charlotte to encourage people to take part in the Big Butterfly Count today, August 7:

** Pic ** Twitter post ** Instagram post **

** standard: Princess Charlotte joins the Big Butterfly Count conservation project **
Beautiful photo of Princess Charlotte holding the butterfly in her hands!

Thank you iceflower for sharing
Old 08-07-2021, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think they're being very careful. Some nasty comments were made, by people outside England, about George looking upset after the Euro 2020 final. Anyone would look upset if their team had just lost a final on penalties - I certainly did!- but apparently there were some sarcastic comments on social media. And now there's this horrible American cartoon with Orlando Bloom, poking fun at George. I don't know what sort of person thinks it's funny to mock an 8-year-old child, but evidently some people do. This is the first generation to be growing up in the glare of social media so I think they'll be very careful to avoid too much exposure.

Lovely pictures of Charlotte.
I think the Cambridges have struck a pretty good balance as far as their kid's pictures being out there for public consumption. Usually if it's not a photo taken at a public venue or for one of the children's birthdays, the photos released are meaningful occasions such as the Big Butterfly Count with Charlotte holding a butterfly.

There's another added benefit to doing things this way too. I would imagine that Charlotte got the full scoop of exactly what the Big Butterfly Count is and why it's happening and she also knew that she would kind of be the "poster princess" for this event to encourage people. The kids are learning young that there will be times that they're in the public eye for things just like mum and dad do a lot of times.

It really is an added bonus too that Catherine is such an excellent photographer and takes these photos. That put her in control of what goes out there and what doesn't a lot of the time.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
And now there's this horrible American cartoon with Orlando Bloom, poking fun at George. I don't know what sort of person thinks it's funny to mock an 8-year-old child, but evidently some people do.
Isn't it pathetic to think some people can find amusement in being mean to a child?
I really think children should be off-limits for this sort of thing.