Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, General News 4: Apr 2018-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t attach any emotion to it. It’s a statement. Trust me…I’m a teacher…we don’t really care about the coming and going of children. Obviously a mass exodus is bad for business but comings and goings are part of life. Personally it’s always sad to say goodbye when people have been on a journey with you for so many years and you become attached but it’s Life and having them at the school would have meant a certain amount of anxiety about information leaking out and I have heard that there was a whole privacy world around the school. No one talked.

Thanks! It makes sense that on the one hand they are proud that the future king is their pupil but on the other hand it also requires quite a lot from a school to accommodate such a student. Hopefully both George and Charlotte had a great time at their previous school and will have soon feel at home at their new school.

I would assume her own educational history. She wasn't long for Downe House for girls and seemed to thrive st Marlborough. All previous education was co-ed. She is unlikely to ever make a public comment on it. But her own choices as a parent would speak to it.

If I was betting I would say they are most likely to go to Wellington...or if her love for Marlborough is so strong there. But I would pick Wellington as they wouldn't have to board. Although she herself did at 13 so she may want to send them then. But I would think they aren't like to begin flexi boarding untik at around 15. I don't think William will be much involved in this to be honest. The Cambridge family as always been in the Middleton image. So I am basing this on her.

James I think is also heading to Wellington or already there.

Harry was the last grand child of the Queen to fully board before being a teen....some never really boarded at all.

William seemed to enjoy Eton, though. He fit in well and apparently received a great deal of emotional support from staff members and fellow students after the death of his mother.

If the Cambridges had had only sons I’d actually see Eton as the front runner for senior school. But since they wound up with a girl between two boys the practical benefits of having all three children attend the same school may be attractive to them. That’s assuming that all three children would thrive in the same environment, of course.

William seemed to enjoy Eton, though. He fit in well and apparently received a great deal of emotional support from staff members and fellow students after the death of his mother.

If the Cambridges had had only sons I’d actually see Eton as the front runner for senior school. But since they wound up with a girl between two boys the practical benefits of having all three children attend the same school may be attractive to them. That’s assuming that all three children would thrive in the same environment, of course.

William was well supported through all his schooling at boarding schools where he received an awful lot of parental support from houses masters. Stuff his parents should have been doing really.

I think it'll depend how they go on as they grow up. Beatrice and Eugenie went to different schools, and Harry would probably have been better off somewhere less academic than Eton. But the days of being packed off to boarding school at 7 or 8 seem to have gone, at least for the Royals.

Interesting contrast between the formal response of both heads: the new one refering to 'prince(ss) X' while their current/old head just uses their first names.

I think there is a logic to it: As the children's old school community is personally acquainted with them, its head, as the representative of the community, refers to them in a more personal manner. The new school as yet has no personal relationship with the children and therefore addresses them formally.

Please define reception.

First year of primary which you begin at age 4 years.

UK education system

2 years early years foundation stage.

Year one is nursery where attendance is generally part time but can be full time and government fund places once you turn 3. This is either 15 or 30 hours. 30 hours funding is based on working hours etc to see if you qualify.

Second year is first year of Primary school - schools can have nurseries too. This is Reception and is full time but very much centred around learning through play but children will learn to read, write, phonics, maths. Children need to have turned 4 by 31st of August to start the 1st of September. State schools are very strict on this.

After that you enter Key Stage 1 which is two years Year 1 and 2 where you progressively move toward whole class learning.

KS2 is years 3 -6 and then kids move to secondary at 11.

Many private schools like this one has the first two years of KS3 in the prep before moving on to secondary at 13. Which I like I think 11 is too young to go into a school which often has at least a 1000 children.

So really this year was a perfect one to move. Louis entering school, Charlotte entering KS2 and George entering what was once the middle school years.

This explanation about the British school system (for Americans) might help. It is the British equivalent of Kindergarten.

That explanation isn’t very good. It isn’t really kindergarten…they start younger and the expectations are higher. I speak as someone who has experience of both. Not a right or wrong just the way they do it.

That explanation isn’t very good. It isn’t really kindergarten…they start younger and the expectations are higher. I speak as someone who has experience of both. Not a right or wrong just the way they do it.

I guess it is in terms of age... But yes, I've always been surprised about the low expectations of Kindergarten in the USA. What are 'Reception'-pupils supposed to be able to do at the end of the year (so before they start Year 1)?

I guess it is in terms of age... But yes, I've always been surprised about the low expectations of Kindergarten in the USA. What are 'Reception'-pupils supposed to be able to do at the end of the year (so before they start Year 1)?

I have always been in favour of delaying formal education until they are 7. That time stimulating their minds and creativity is gold dust. The government don't see it like that but reception is still very much child initiated and Year 1 isn't formal whole class learning either.

Expectations just changed this year with a huge emphasis on self regulation but in terms of academics. They have to be able to read simple books including up to ten digraphs...that would be two letters for one sound. They need to be pretty confident with numbers to ten and practically adding, subtracting. Doubling. Halving and if they are very able exploring multiplication and division as well as counting in 2's etc. They need to write a simple sentence, they don't have to use capital letters and fullstops but be aware of them. Letter formation needs to be pretty good. Huge emphasis on vocabulary now as well.

Of course none of that is important and doesn't predict later academic success, except perhaps vocabulary which has always been shown to be a good predictor. We also report on characteristics of effective learning: engagement, active learning and problem solving etc. That has been shown to predict later success. So no it doesn't matter if you can read or write at 5 but the UK education system is pretty intense and you wouldn't want your kids behind either.

School attendance is mandatory from the age of 5, but most children go into a reception class at 4, and many attend nurseries from the age of 2, or even the age of a few months if there isn't a non-working parent or other family carer available. You wouldn't really want your children to be going into Year 1 without basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills - the 3 Rs.

School attendance is mandatory from the age of 5, but most children go into a reception class at 4, and many attend nurseries from the age of 2, or even the age of a few months if there isn't a non-working parent or other family carer available. You wouldn't really want your children to be going into Year 1 without basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills - the 3 Rs.

Quite. The numbers are minimal unless coming from abroad as the pre school education will no longer be funded. You can delay entry by a year if you appeal on the basis of special education needs. But again hens teeth and I have had two my entire career...both with ASD (autism). There is no facilitaty to repeat a year in the UK and none to delay entry for summer children based on not emotionally being ready. Things that are provided in other countries. In private of course all those things are possible.

Reception was known as first year infants in my day, but then the system of numbering years was changed. It’s effectively the first year of school, but it isn’t called Year 1 as technically it’s not compulsory. Which is confusing! It’ll be nice for Louis to start in the first year, whereas George and Charlotte will have the issue of going into forms with established friendship groups; but I’m sure they’ll soon settle in.

According to this Hello article the Cambridges kids will soon be saying goodbye to their Spanish nanny Maria. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

The couple will still have needs for a nanny especially when they are carrying out engagements or taking oversees trips

According to this Hello article the Cambridges kids will soon be saying goodbye to their Spanish nanny Maria. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

The couple will still have needs for a nanny especially when they are carrying out engagements or taking oversees trips

https://www.hellomagazine.com/healt...ce-william-biggest-sign-yet-no-more-children/

I haven't read the article but is it not that the nanny will be living in separate accommodation when they move to Windsor

I think Maria - as well as their live in staff are staying nearby. There is a number of small staff houses in the vicinity on the Windsor Estate. She will not be leaving them - just not staying overnight in their accommodation. That been said it is very easy to talk to these places at any times. So she would be able to put the kids to sleep and walk home in 15 min. There is really no need to live at Adelaide Cottage.

It's unusual for Hello! to say something misleading like that. I don't think there's been any suggestion that the nanny will be leaving: she just won't be living-in any more.

The article specifically states

"The royal children will also be saying goodbye to their beloved live-in Spanish Norland nanny Maria Borrallo".

While Hello magazine is not a well-reputable magazine, they don't "invent" stories either. I was just wondering...as that line seems to suggest that Maria will no longer be working with the family. I guess in time we'll see.

Hello's a very reputable magazine. Maybe it's just been put badly and they only mean that she won't be living with them any more.

Some of the parents at the new school are moaning about the security and attention that having three royal pupils will bring, but I'm sure that it'll be as low-key as possible. I don't know who's come up with the idea of armed police in the corridors.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/prince-william-kate-face-parents-27850211

I think Maria - as well as their live in staff are staying nearby. There is a number of small staff houses in the vicinity on the Windsor Estate. She will not be leaving them - just not staying overnight in their accommodation. That been said it is very easy to talk to these places at any times. So she would be able to put the kids to sleep and walk home in 15 min. There is really no need to live at Adelaide Cottage.

Previously I read that on the property of the Cottage itself there is a staff building. On Google Maps you can clearly see the main house (top-right) and some other attached building in a different style (bottom-left). I assume(d) that would be used for staff housing - which most likely would include the nanny.

Somewhere it was also problematized that the children would need to say goodbye to their dogs - when in reality, dogs aren't allowed on the school grounds, so they cannot take them to school (or at least would need to leave them in the car - I assume they didn't take them to the school grounds at their former school either). So, this reporting could also be misleading in that sense.

According to Hello, they are saying goodbye to their LIVE-IN nanny (following a general sentence that they will no longer have live-in staff), which is not necessarily the same as them saying goodbye to their nanny. As I don't expect them to do away with all their other current live-in staff either - but the arrangements will be different as a result of the move.

Last edited:
Hello Magazine and Emily Nash the royal editor are reliable. Hello Magazine online isn’t so reliable I’m always correcting them on twitter as they make mistakes all the time.

I just find it funny that parents would not be happy with having security around the kids while at school. I very seriously doubt it will be a interruption.

It seems to be the fear of the unknown. They have no clue yet as to what the security measures will be but are worried in advance.

I agree it’s just fear of the unknown. My brother went to primary school with a high profile person’s child and while he mentioned the security guards and where they stayed etc once or twice it really wasn’t any kind of deal. Also Lambrook is on substantial land. The other children won’t even see them that often I warrant and if Kate and William go to things like the carol service there isn’t really a big deal having guards on the door…which used to happen once or twice when I was at school things of my brothers were said child’s parent was. They also always came in last etc. people were used to it. One of the tougher things I imagine is that there will now be a whole new privacy world around the school and they will be unable to mention it online etc.

Last edited:
I agree it’s just fear of the unknown. My brother went to primary school with a high profile person’s child and while he mentioned the security guards and where they stayed etc once or twice it really wasn’t any kind of deal. Also Lambrook is on substantial land. The other children won’t even see them that often I warrant and if Kate and William go to things like the carol service there isn’t really a big deal having guards on the door…which used to happen once or twice when I was at school things of my brothers were said child’s parent was. They also always came in last etc. people were used to it. One of the tougher things I imagine is that there will now be a whole new privacy world around the school and they will be unable to mention it online etc.

I agree that new rules around privacy could potentially be more of a hassle than the presence of a well trained security team, but I think schools in general are now very vigilant about protecting the privacy of their students. My son is headed to kindergarten this year and the long list of rules surrounding privacy makes it apparent that there many adults who can’t be trusted to use common sense with cell phones and social media any more than teenagers can, even when there are no royal children involved.

I would probably be a little concerned if I were a parent at Lambrook, mainly about potential hassle from the press, paparazzi, and so on. But if it wasn’t a major issue in London I doubt it will be in Windsor, especially since I assume the new school is less physically exposed than a London day school.

Any other changes will be easy enough for the parents to get used to, and will be things the children will barely notice.

I agree that new rules around privacy could potentially be more of a hassle than the presence of a well trained security team, but I think schools in general are now very vigilant about protecting the privacy of their students. My son is headed to kindergarten this year and the long list of rules surrounding privacy makes it apparent that there many adults who can’t be trusted to use common sense with cell phones and social media any more than teenagers can, even when there are no royal children involved.

I would probably be a little concerned if I were a parent at Lambrook, mainly about potential hassle from the press, paparazzi, and so on. But if it wasn’t a major issue in London I doubt it will be in Windsor, especially since I assume the new school is less physically exposed than a London day school.

Any other changes will be easy enough for the parents to get used to, and will be things the children will barely notice.

Agreed. If it’s as simple as “don’t take photos of your kids with other students without permission from that student’s parents,” that’s basically the norm at most schools now, even if not as strictly enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom