Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, General News 4: Apr 2018-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anmer was always a weekend or holiday retreat for them, probably never intended for a permanent stay.
The decision to move to Windsor close to the Queen , away from London, has probably to do with the slow but constant problems of her age, not being able to fulfill her duties anymore. It is still a wonder that she is around at the age of 96 years. I don't know any monarch who has not given up before that time. It could also have to do with Andrew being so close to the Queen and fear of his influence on her (being allegedly her favorite).

If that is the case, it should have been Charles moving to Windsor, but they probably have their reasons not to do it.

Living in Windsor it is quite normal to look for a school nearby for the children.

A question for the British members: What is the difference between public and private schools in GB? I have been reading a lot of english literature especially from the 19th and early 20th century and got the impression that public schools were more prestigious than private schools.

I always thought that private schools are for the rich and privileged. So I am a little confused about that.

The move.to Windsor I would say has a lot to do with getting the children out of London and giving them more privacy.

You have state schools which are government funded. Private schools which are private and Public schools which are a small set of private schools which are old and prestigious and some of them you can only board at.

[/QUOTE]hereditarytitles;2484777]
If that is the case, it should have been Charles moving to Windsor, but they probably have their reasons not to do it.
There have been rumours for ages now that Charles has no intention of moving into Windsor even as King, which means that it is possible that William could actually move into the castle as heir apparent. Charles doesn't really like it.
A question for the British members: What is the difference between public and private schools in GB? I have been reading a lot of english literature especially from the 19th and early 20th century and got the impression that public schools were more prestigious than private schools.
I always thought that private schools are for the rich and privileged. So I am a little confused about that.

There are largely three types of schools in the UK.

1. State schools - publicly funded by the government and where the vast majority of the nation's students go to school.

2. Private schools - These are all fee-paying schools but the schools will also offer scholarships for a number of reasons such as music or languages along with straight academic.

3. Public schools - Largely the very old boys' schools that were initially established with a requirement to admit, for free, a number of poorer local (public) boys. Some newer schools also meet these requirements such as some opened between the wars. These are all fee paying and some are now co-ed although initially they were all male. Many are also still boarding only e.g. Eton This will give a much more detailed explanation of public schools in England https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

There have been rumours for ages now that Charles has no intention of moving into Windsor even as King, which means that it is possible that William could actually move into the castle as heir apparent. Charles doesn't really like it.

I always thought that private schools are for the rich and privileged. So I am a little confused about that.[/QUOTE]

1. State schools - publicly funded by the government and where the vast majority of the nation's students go to school.

2. Private schools - These are all fee-paying schools but the schools will also offer scholarships for a number of reasons such as music or languages along with straight academic.

3. Public schools - Largely the very old boys' schools that were initially established with a requirement to admit, for free, a number of poorer local (public) boys. Some newer schools also meet these requirements such as some opened between the wars. These are all fee paying and some are now co-ed although initially they were all male. Many are also still boarding only e.g. Eton This will give a much more detailed explanation of public schools in England https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

Regarding schools for royal children - Eton is clearly the preferred school for the royal family. The following members of the BRF (extended) have all attended Eton:

1. HRH The Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1975)
2. HRH Prince William of Gloucester
3. HRH The Duke of Gloucester (1944 -
4. Earl of Ulster
5. HRH The Duke of Kent (1935 -
6. Earl of St Andrews
7. Baron Downpatrick
8. HRH Prince Michael of Kent
9. Lord Frederick Windsor
10. James Ogilvy
11. George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood
12. Viscount Linley
13. Arthur Chatto
14. Samuel Chatto

Other than the descendants of The Queen and Philip the vast majority of male members of the BRF have all gone to Eton including 5 of the 6 male first cousins of The Queen. With both the Gloucester princes at Eton it is no wonder that Charles wanted to go there and why the Queen Mother and others felt it would be a good school for him.

Last edited:

Regarding schools for royal children - Eton is clearly the preferred school for the royal family. The following members of the BRF (extended) have all attended Eton:

1. HRH The Duke of Gloucester (1900 - 1975)
2. HRH Prince William of Gloucester
3. HRH The Duke of Gloucester (1944 -
4. Earl of Ulster
5. HRH The Duke of Kent (1935 -
6. Earl of St Andrews
7. Baron Downpatrick
8. HRH Prince Michael of Kent
9. Lord Frederick Windsor
10. James Ogilvy
11. George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood
12. Viscount Linley
13. Arthur Chatto
14. Samuel Chatto

Other than the descendants of The Queen and Philip the vast majority of male members of the BRF have all gone to Eton including 5 of the 6 male first cousins of The Queen. With both the Gloucester princes at Eton it is no wonder that Charles wanted to go there and why the Queen Mother and others felt it would be a good school for him.[/QUOTE]

The school needs to match the child. Charles may have suited Eton but a Harry definitely didn’t and would have been better at a place like Gordonstoun.

I really don’t think the Cambridge children will go to Eton given Catherine has a very personal issue with single sex schools.

hereditarytitles;2484777]
If that is the case, it should have been Charles moving to Windsor, but they probably have their reasons not to do it. A question for the British members: What is the difference between public and private schools in GB? I have been reading a lot of english literature especially from the 19th and early 20th century and got the impression that public schools were more prestigious than private schools.

3. Public schools - Largely the very old boys' schools that were initially established with a requirement to admit, for free, a number of poorer local (public) boys. Some newer schools also meet these requirements such as some opened between the wars. These are all fee paying and some are now co-ed although initially they were all male. Many are also still boarding only e.g. Eton This will give a much more detailed explanation of public schools in England https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)[/QUOTE]

Many thanks to all of you for the explanation of the school system.

I really don’t think the Cambridge children will go to Eton given Catherine has a very personal issue with single sex schools.

I do not expect the Cambridge children to go to Eton either, but how do we know "Catherine has a very personal issue with single sex schools". Has she spoken publicly on the issue?

I do not expect the Cambridge children to go to Eton either, but how do we know "Catherine has a very personal issue with single sex schools". Has she spoken publicly on the issue?

I would assume her own educational history. She wasn't long for Downe House for girls and seemed to thrive st Marlborough. All previous education was co-ed. She is unlikely to ever make a public comment on it. But her own choices as a parent would speak to it.

If I was betting I would say they are most likely to go to Wellington...or if her love for Marlborough is so strong there. But I would pick Wellington as they wouldn't have to board. Although she herself did at 13 so she may want to send them then. But I would think they aren't like to begin flexi boarding untik at around 15. I don't think William will be much involved in this to be honest. The Cambridge family as always been in the Middleton image. So I am basing this on her.

James I think is also heading to Wellington or already there.

Harry was the last grand child of the Queen to fully board before being a teen....some never really boarded at all.

Last edited:
Bullying can happen also in co-ed schools.

I attended a private- and coeducational- boarding school as a teenager. Among the school’s Q&A brochure questions (paraphrased): Why coed? Because the world is coed.

Tatler speculated they might go here:
As counties go, it’s hard to beat Berkshire for brilliant prep schools, but the hot favourite at evens for the Cambridges (especially if new reports by the Telegraph are to be believed) has to be Lambrook Prep School - co-ed with 52 acres of bucolic countryside (there’s even a working farm where pupils develop their sustainability skills). The school has a brilliant reputation for academics, sports and the arts - with music and drama performed in the aptly named Diamond Jubilee Centre. Jonathan Perry, the enormously popular head, is ‘one of a kind,’ who greets parents and pupils with a warm smile each morning, ‘come rain, shine or minus two degrees’. Not surprisingly, Lambrook has a healthy waiting list in every year group. However, the Cambridges are likely to be equally impressed by the school's commitment to serving others, seen through their partnerships with over 60 state schools and their bursary foundation which ensures a Lambrook education is available to those who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford it. Happy and confident pupils fly off to Eton (with two King Scholarships in recent years), Wellington and Marlborough.

and The Times has this article which includes details from parents

https://archive.ph/XpZ8F

The main advantages as I see it:

-close to Windsor and their new home

-co-ed so all the children can go (I read in a few places Catherine hated being in a girls only school)

-it offers flexi boarding which may be useful, basically the children could be booked in to stay over if W&C had a foreign trip etc

-it is very "outdoorsy" - golf, lots of sports lessons in its own fields, allotment, Forest School etc very much in line with Catherine and William

-it is very "down to earth" (well as much as a school like this can be) it teaches the children "with privilege comes responsibility" and children going on one of the many foreign trips have to raise money to allow those who can't afford to go to be able to

I read that there’s school on Saturday mornings. So they have 5.5 days per week starting at George’s age? Obviously that works for a lot of families, but it sure reads as inconvenient to me. Plus afternoon sports.

The school sounds very nice to me though. Certainly it founds like the education and outdoor opportunities will be wonderful.

I can see how the flexi-boarding could be useful to them.

And, from the pics, the “cottage” doesn’t fit my definition of a cottage. Lol It doesn’t look small anyway.

I read that there’s school on Saturday mornings. So they have 5.5 days per week starting at George’s age? Obviously that works for a lot of families, but it sure reads as inconvenient to me. Plus afternoon sports.

The school sounds very nice to me though. Certainly it founds like the education and outdoor opportunities will be wonderful.

I can see how the flexi-boarding could be useful to them.

And, from the pics, the “cottage” doesn’t fit my definition of a cottage. Lol It doesn’t look small anyway.

Morning school on Saturday isn't unknown in prep schools given the longer holidays.

I really thought it would be St Georges but thatbis in the centre of town and Lambrook is on its own land so for security reasons the school.probably works better.

I more than ever now see Wellington or perhaps Marlborough in their future.

Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, General News Part 4: April 2018

Morning school on Saturday isn't unknown in prep schools given the longer holidays.

I really thought it would be St Georges but thatbis in the centre of town and Lambrook is on its own land so for security reasons the school.probably works better.

I more than ever now see Wellington or perhaps Marlborough in their future.

Thanks. I didn’t know they got longer holidays.

ETA- why did you think it would be St George’s?

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn’t know they got longer holidays.

ETA- why did you think it would be St George’s?

History of royals going there, being next door to Windsor. Very good mental health scheme. All that stuff.

History of royals going there, being next door to Windsor. Very good mental health scheme. All that stuff.

So it is Lambrook School, the tabloid's speculation was right (as astonishingly it is often the case...)
Interesting that the website of lambrook is not available today, maybe too many people tried to get access to it.

I found this on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambrook

Thanks!

I didn’t know much about either school.

The school needs to match the child. Charles may have suited Eton but a Harry definitely didn’t and would have been better at a place like Gordonstoun.

Charles has made no secret of how much he hated Gordonstoun, so I really doubt he ever even considered sending his sons there.

Though I agree that Harry never seemed well-suited to Eton.

It has been officially confirmed that Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will start at Lambrook School in Berkshire from September on:

** Kensington Palace Press Release - August 22 **

Interesting contrast between the formal response of both heads: the new one refering to 'prince(ss) X' while their current/old head just uses their first names.

Interesting contrast between the formal response of both heads: the new one refering to 'prince(ss) X' while their current/old head just uses their first names.

That was the general head of all the schools and it was very much a general comment about the leavers.

Maybe they weren’t too sad to loose them and maybe they were a bit distraught about it. Either way it puts pressure on a school.

That was the general head of all the schools and it was very much a general comment about the leavers.

Maybe they weren’t too sad to loose them and maybe they were a bit distraught about it. Either way it puts pressure on a school.

I preferred the more personal 'George and Charlotte' over the more formal 'look at us we have princes and a princess that will join our school' from the new head. So, I didn't attach any negative thoughts to their more informal naming like you seem to do.

I assume they'd prefer to keep their pupils (in general) instead of loosing them but most likely they will understand that a change was necessary because of their move to Windsor.

Will Prince Louis attend Lambrook School for a half day or a full day?

I preferred the more personal 'George and Charlotte' over the more formal 'look at us we have princes and a princess that will join our school' from the new head. So, I didn't attach any negative thoughts to their more informal naming like you seem to do.

I assume they'd prefer to keep their pupils (in general) instead of loosing them but most likely they will understand that a change was necessary because of their move to Windsor.

I don’t attach any emotion to it. It’s a statement. Trust me…I’m a teacher…we don’t really care about the coming and going of children. Obviously a mass exodus is bad for business but comings and goings are part of life. Personally it’s always sad to say goodbye when people have been on a journey with you for so many years and you become attached but it’s Life and having them at the school would have meant a certain amount of anxiety about information leaking out and I have heard that there was a whole privacy world around the school. No one talked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom