Prince George: First Official Photos - August 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never did any name calling. I basically said I thought some of the posts were just mean. Ok maybe I was wrong saying that the post was mean for the stake of being mean.

Look how people reacted to that it was Michael Middleton who took the photo. I thought he did as well as a professional. I personally don't care if the background is blurry or uneven. ( I didn't even notice I was just looking at 3 people who were in the photo).

I am just glad there were pics.

I wouldn't worry too much about people not liking the photos. Most of those who don't like them are people who I (and I'm sure anyone who has been coming to these boards for a while) would have expected to find fault with the photos, no matter who the photographer was. That's just the way message boards work. Everyone has their favourites and then they have those who they find fault with no matter what they do. Just look at the thread for Mary's visit to Jordan and what happened on that today, again the same people involved as usual. Go make an negative observation or question something about Letizia and you can be sure that Mary (and her family) will be referenced in some way to show how at least Letizia isn't as bad as they are in reply by the same person every time. Its just they way people are. They will always find faults if they look hard enough so its best to just enjoy the photos if you like them and not get too caught up in what others are saying.

Its the same with the Guardian article, of course they have issues with the photographs, its the Guardian. That's what the majority of their readers are looking for in the newspaper.

The picture was fine, but can't wait for photo with The Queen.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great

There is a difference on having an opinion on the pictures and having an opinion on William and Kate, but for some people it becomes the same thing.
Some people clearly don’t like William and Kate and will use every opportunity they get to criticize them. They would probably have criticized the pictures anyway or not expressed their opinion at all if they liked them.
Expressing your opinion is fine, but it becomes very frustrating when that opinion always is negative.

I don’t like the pictures either and I do think it would have been better to use a professional photographer, but I respect William and Kate for their decision to do it this way and I don’t turn my opinion into personal attacks on William, Kate or Michael Middleton.

Saying that you don't like the pictures isn't saying that you don't like William and Catherine. It's not about shading William and Catherine, it's saying that the pictures aren't particularly well taken.

And again with the personal attacks? Now, I have seen several posts claiming that the majority of the people who have expressed a dislike for the pictures are "attacking" William and Catherine (and apparently, those "attacks" are made by "the same people involved as usual"), but I somehow have yet to find all of those post in which people are spewing profanities at them.

Stop making mountains out of molehills, this is a discussion forum - it's alright to disagree, it's alright to dislike the pictures (saying that you don't like the pictures ≠ attacking William and Catherine), it's alright to say that you don't like the pictures (obviously as long as you're not being an arse about it and so far, I haven't seen posts containing d-bag comments).

A voice of reason, Archduchess; among the ones who are looking at this from the proper perspective.

Last edited:
I think what started all this was the Guardian saying William and Catherine were pretending to be middle class. You don't have to like the photos but to accuse people of pretending to be something they are not absurd. :whistling:

Archduchess, while I applaud you for your general point I have to say that to a certain extent some of the comments regarding the so-called attack on the pictures, William, Catherine, and Michael Middleton is not unfounded.

Some people are expressing a general dislike of the pictures. Which is very valid; the pictures aren't that great, and I don't think they really meet what anyone was expecting (although, William and Catherine aren't really required to meet our expectations in this). Personally I was a bit disappointed by them not because of what they are (they're nice family pictures; not great but not bad), but because I was hoping for the focus to be more on George. It wasn't and, hey like a mature adult I'm over it.

Other people though are taking these pictures as an opportunity to attack the family. There was a comment that if Michael Middleton can't take a good picture he (and others) should turn in his camera. Other people have gone off on how this is another attempt of William's to prove that he's "normal" but he's really not and going off on a rampage about how ridiculous it is that he tries.

People who are generalizing and saying that those who dislike the pictures dislike the couple and are just using it as an excuse to attack them are exaggerating. Some people just dislike the pictures and are simply expressing as much. Others dislike the pictures and aren't fans of the couple but aren't using this as an excuse to attack them. Others even like the pictures, regardless of their feelings towards the couple. But SOME people dislike the pictures for what seems like the sole reason of they dislike the Cambridges and are using this as yet another opportunity to go off on a rampage about them.

I cannot believe people got worked up enough about some family snaps to fill 20 pages. Seems like a bit of an over reaction regardless of if you think the pics were good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day they are probably just like the pics in your own albums snapped by your fathers/husbands/brothers and not meant to be anything more than that.

Thank you, Ish, for pointing out what I meant.
I do not mean that everyone who dislike the pictures also dislike William and Kate, but I think that for some people, not everyone, their dislike of William and Kate also affect their opinion of the pictures. I'm sorry if my previous post was taken the wrong way or was too exaggerating. I just get very frustrated of how often things take a negative turn when it comes to William and Kate.

I cannot believe people got worked up enough about some family snaps to fill 20 pages. Seems like a bit of an over reaction regardless of if you think the pics were good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day they are probably just like the pics in your own albums snapped by your fathers/husbands/brothers and not meant to be anything more than that.

Well put.

That was what I thought when I saw it. That I had a ton of photos just like it (except my family was never that attractive or well styled) in my family albums.

For the record, I never said Mike should turn in his camera. That's a fine photo of the dog - they do have pet photographers, you know. Perhaps he missed his true calling.

P.S. That was a joke. Don't flip out.

Musings:

1. The photos seem intentionally of low quality. Guesses why?

2. Why Mr Middleton as snapper? Very clever. To reduce attention to Mrs? Broadest shoulders for criticisms? Subtle reminder of family dynamic?

Surely the palaces have analysts contemplating elements such as these.

I doubt it's anything that elaborate.

Michael Middleton likely took the pictures because he was available to do so when they were taking photos.

The pictures were the family photos that William and Catherine liked. Much like the name, I doh t there's anything all that deep to it. They liked them, they felt they served the purpose necessary, so they released them.

I know, right. Testino has shot quite a few photos where the sun is behind his subject, and he's not the only one. I've seen many photos in magazines, where the celebs/models are shot with the sun behind them. I guess basic photography fail is okay when it's done by a professional, but Michael Middleton and everyone else need to turn over their cameras when they do it.

Poor Mr. Middleton. He was probably so proud and excited about taking the photos and now he has to hear that his photos and photo taking skills are horrible. I bet that's the last time he shares a family photo. :lol:

Personally, I don't like that technique in Testino's photos, either. And he has really bad lens flare in some of the pictures I've seen. I don't judge the person taking the photograph differently just because one happens to be paid for his work. Actually, the paid pro should know better.

I'm glad they released the photos, and I think it's great Mr. Middleton got a chance to take those photos. However, I don't think it would have been hard for him to take some that were better. They're perfectly fine for family pictures, but personally, I'm choosy about which of my photos I consider to be of good enough quality to share with other people. I have some pictures that I love and have kept but don't show to others (outside of family and close friends).

Musings:

1. The photos seem intentionally of low quality. Guesses why?

2. Why Mr Middleton as snapper? Very clever. To reduce attention to Mrs? Broadest shoulders for criticisms? Subtle reminder of family dynamic?

Surely the palaces have analysts contemplating elements such as these.

TBH, I don't think anyone at the palaces or royal staff have even given a moments thought to analyzing the photos. Its really not that big of a deal and I'm sure they have other pressing issues to deal with.

The time after the birth of George was private time for the Cambridges and the Middletons and proud grandpa took pictures of his family members. He never claimed to be a master of photography and it was us that were lucky that they even consented to share these photos with us.

TBH, I don't think anyone at the palaces or royal staff have even given a moments thought to analyzing the photos. Its really not that big of a deal and I'm sure they have other pressing issues to deal with.

The time after the birth of George was private time for the Cambridges and the Middletons and proud grandpa took pictures of his family members. He never claimed to be a master of photography and it was us that were lucky that they even consented to share these photos with us.

Very well written and I agree. Unfortunately these sites are used for dumping and venting. The real issues are rarely part of the discussions.

Personally, I don't like that technique in Testino's photos, either. And he has really bad lens flare in some of the pictures I've seen. I don't judge the person taking the photograph differently just because one happens to be paid for his work. Actually, the paid pro should know better.

I'm glad they released the photos, and I think it's great Mr. Middleton got a chance to take those photos. However, I don't think it would have been hard for him to take some that were better. They're perfectly fine for family pictures, but personally, I'm choosy about which of my photos I consider to be of good enough quality to share with other people. I have some pictures that I love and have kept but don't show to others (outside of family and close friends).

But my point wasn't whether one likes Testino's or Michael M's photos/technique. My point was that some were acting as if MM is the only person that didn't follow basic photography. He was lambasted for things that Testino and other professional photographers do all the time.

Last edited:
Very well written and I agree. Unfortunately these sites are used for dumping and venting. The real issues are rarely part of the discussions.

I agree with both of you :) the press labelled these pictures amateur and so many are quick to jump on the bandwagon and put their comments to it. Be lucky we got anything, this was a happy family wanting to share their joy with the rest of the world and it was slapped back in their faces by ungrateful people. I think it is sweet, unpretentious and private.

But my point wasn't whether one likes Testino's or Michael M's photos/technique. My point was that MM was being lambasted for something that Testino and other professional photographers do all the time.

I'm sorry, but I think I may be missing what you're getting at. Are you saying Mr. Middleton shouldn't be criticized because professional photographers use the same technique? But if I criticize the pros for using it, why wouldn't I dislike it when he does the same?

Just because a professional photographer does something, it doesn't make it "good" (obviously, good is personal opinion). My feelings on the photos have nothing to do with what other photographers do.

I'm sorry, but I think I may be missing what you're getting at. Are you saying Mr. Middleton shouldn't be criticized because professional photographers use the same technique? But if I criticize the pros for using it, why wouldn't I dislike it when he does the same?

Just because a professional photographer does something, it doesn't make it "good" (obviously, good is personal opinion). My feelings on the photos have nothing to do with what other photographers do.

I think the point is that while he can be critiqued for it, he shouldn't be attacked for it. There is a fine line between the two.

If you're saying that it's not a good photo because of the technique, but you'd be saying similar when a professional did it, then that's your opinion and good on you for consistency. But if you're saying that it's a bad photo because of the technique and Michael is clearly an amateur, but it's okay when professionals do it then you're being inconsistent in your critique and unfair to Michael. And if you're saying that it's a bad photo because of technique and how dare Michael take a bad picture and how dare the Cambridges release such an amateur photo for public viewing then you're being ridiculous.

I think we should just be pleased that we got to see a personal family photo. I am sure you all have photos much worse in your little albums at home.

Not what I'm saying. I updated my earlier post to clarify a little better.

Someone stated that shooting subjects in front of light is basic photography that even 5 years olds know, and that even a child could take a better photo than Michael. They also stated that they knew of no one that would share such bad photos. Hence why I brought up Testino.

ETA: Ish said it better than I did.

Last edited:
soapstar/Ish:
Got it, thanks!

If you're saying that it's not a good photo because of the technique, but you'd be saying similar when a professional did it, then that's your opinion and good on you for consistency. But if you're saying that it's a bad photo because of the technique and Michael is clearly an amateur, but it's okay when professionals do it then you're being inconsistent in your critique and unfair to Michael. And if you're saying that it's a bad photo because of technique and how dare Michael take a bad picture and how dare the Cambridges release such an amateur photo for public viewing then you're being ridiculous.

I definitely meant the first scenario. :) Regarding the last sentence: everyone takes bad pictures (even pros). The only difference between people is their choice of which pictures to share. Personally, if I had taken the pictures, I probably would have thought that they weren't as good as they could be and retaken them until I got some I was happy to share. However, Mr. Middleton is obviously comfortable sharing the ones he took; that's his choice.

Last edited:
I really do not like those pictures. And I am sad that there are no traditional official pictures, because those of prince Charles or William are simply so cute.

I really do not like those pictures. And I am sad that there are no traditional official pictures, because those of prince Charles or William are simply so cute.

There will be official shots later. This was just the first salvo.

There will be official shots later. This was just the first salvo.

I wonder what sort of complaints will come with those photo's. As far as I'm concerned people should be happy with whatever they are given. Will and Kate never had to do this. This was a gift and a thank you (at least that is how I see these photo's). They were never meant to be perfect.

I thought the next official photos we would see of George would be his Christening or are there rumours that we'll see "official" photos of the family with the Queen at Balmoral?

I don't think there will be Balmoral photos released. They will do photos at the christening with the families and godparents plus the queen with George, William and Charles. They may release studio shots of the Cambridges around the christening.

We didn't see photos of George meeting his grandparents, aunt and uncles, great granny the queen and we won't see him meet his great grandpa either.

We are bored and craving any BRF news - so we are inventing our own drama. September cannot come soon enough IMHO.

Next August, I suggest Harry, Bea, Eugenie, Louise or someone else get a puppy. Better yet, adopt a shelter puppy and walk its little legs off in Hyde Park. Better yet, two or more of them should and walk in phalanx outside KP. :lol:

I too cannot understand the uproar about these pictures. Perhaps it is because they are rather casual and people think royals should be formal. These royals are not going to be formal when they don't have to. They will be formal when they are mandated to do so.
There will be formal photos and there will be casual photos. Although they may decide that people are not appreciative of casual photos and only want formal photos, and they may then cut off the informal ones.
I liked seeing the photos and I think it will be too bad if Mr. Middleton and others decide they will no longer do this appreciative thing for the public.
I guess I never in my lifetime had a formal photo which was better than this casual snap by Mr. Middleton. I just never lived the "high life", I guess. I am a plebe. The more I hear of this, the more I empathize with the Middletons and understand why William likes to go to Bucklebury. William has many years ahead before he becomes king, if indeed the RF still is in place that far down in history, so if he finds family happiness at Bucklebury, and entrusts photography to Mr. M, it is easily understandable. That family is his home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom