Prince and Princess of Wales, Current Events 1: Sept 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia

Arms of TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales

Welcome to The Prince and Princess of Wales
Current Events, Part 1

Commencing September 8, 2022

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arms of TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales

Just wondering, since William and Catherine are now the Prince and Princess of Wales, wouldn't they suppose to get new arms? These one are the one from after they married, right? With William as the eldest son of the heir apparent. And now since he's the heir apparent himself shouldn't the coronet change or maybe as the Prince of Wales he gets his father's old arms?

Edit:
I did a little googling and yes, both get new coat of arms to reflect their new position.

Wikipedia
William
https://images.app.goo.gl/7XGsQU5GELwBqXB17
Catherine
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Catherine,_Princess_of_Wales.svg

Moderators, would you mind to change it accordingly?

(And since Harry is now son of monarch, there's a slight change in his coat of arms as well)

Last edited:
Just wondering, since William and Catherine are now the Prince and Princess of Wales, wouldn't they suppose to get new arms? These one are the one from after they married, right? With William as the eldest son of the heir apparent. And now since he's the heir apparent himself shouldn't the coronet change or maybe as the Prince of Wales he gets his father's old arms?

Yes, at some point soon he will likely start using arms with the coronet of the Prince of Wales, a plain white label, and the Welsh inescutcheon with the coronet on it. This will also be reflected on Catherine's arms.

Someone has already uploaded Catherine's arms to the Wikimedia Commons with the relevant changes, though I don't believe they have yet been used officially.

Last edited:
:previous: There are some adorable photos in the DM article when Catherine is presented with a posy by a very expressive little boy named Theo. :flowers:

Prince and Princess of Wales, Current Events 1: Sept 2022

I'm so glad one of their first engagements as Prince and Princess of Wales is to visit Wales.

Yes. It was a good decision imo.

The photos of the little boy meeting them are adorable.

Also- I can not imagine all the work that is having to go into the new roles now. That’s a lot of overnight change. There were plans, of course. But- still. This must be a lot of work for everyone.

Last edited:
Prince of Wales: Majority back title for Prince William but investiture proves unpopular

(...)

Although the majority (66%) of those surveyed support the*Prince of Wales*title being given to Prince William, only 19% want to see a ceremony for him to match the one held for his father.

The latest YouGov poll, conducted for ITV Cymru Wales and Cardiff University, shows the public back the new Prince of Wales, with 74% of respondents believing Prince William will do a good job.

In a survey of 1,014 people aged 16 and over, 13% thought Prince William would make a bad Prince of Wales and the remaining 13% didn't know either way.

(...)

Most likely this will mean more frequent visit to Wales for the couple, maybe they'll even start holidaying somewhere in Wales too.

Wasn’t Catherine’s very first royal engagement as a fiancee also visiting a lifeboat in Wales?

Wasn’t Catherine’s very first royal engagement as a fiancee also visiting a lifeboat in Wales?

I think that is correct.

Prince of Wales: Majority back title for Prince William but investiture proves unpopular

Most likely this will mean more frequent visit to Wales for the couple, maybe they'll even start holidaying somewhere in Wales too.

I read somewhere that the couple has occasionally spent private holidays in Wales over the years. It would be nice, and I think well received, if the family started spending the occasional working holiday in Wales, something genuinely enjoyable for the children and not too intense, but more visible than a totally private vacation.
They’re building from a strong base in that they have familiarity and a seemingly genuine affection for Wales to go along with the titles.

Technically, per the poll, 49% want some sort of investiture. Charles's investiture was not the standard practice. The grand medieval ceremony was concocted for him at that time. I do see a much simpler investiture happening, with a visit to the Welsh assembly, and the focus of that day being more on Wales.

And please with no ping-pong balls.

What's the problem with an investiture?
I still believe that an investiture will be made. Perhaps simpler than the one Charles had.

Well, according to this Telegraph article from two weeks ago:
The changes that come with being the new Prince and Princess of Wales

Archive

(...)

The Prince must also decide on arrangements for his investiture as Prince of Wales, which is scheduled to happen after the King’s coronation and is likely to be next year.

William will become only the third Prince of Wales to be invested in Wales itself, and is said to favour a more low-key ceremony than the one at Caernarfon Castle for his father in 1969.

One possibility is that the investiture could take place at Cardiff Cathedral, and a decision must also be taken on the role of the Princess of Wales in the ceremony, as no Prince of Wales in recent history has inherited the title while married.

(...)

You know what, I think the sole reason William decides not to have his father's like investiture is because he doesn't want to ever be documented wearing that coronet :lol:

Last edited:
I think there will be some kind of official event to commemorate William receiving the principality, but I don't think it will be an investiture, especially if it comes after the coronation and he has already worn the coronet and done his homage to his father there.

Story about the boy. Looking through some social media comments, seems like there were several parents who pulled their kids from school for a chance to meet the couple. I wonder what the teachers thought knowing it ....

William promises to improve his Welsh during first visit as prince

Archive

(...)

William and Catherine were given a warm welcome as they visited a lifeboat station where a four-year-old boy who had been waiting for four hours to see the couple was plucked from the crowd to give them flowers.

Theo’s mother, Rebecca Crompton, said they had been on their way to school when they changed their mind at the last minute to see the couple*at the Holyhead RNLI lifeboat station.

Theo was picked from the crowd by Jean-Christophe Gray, the prince’s private secretary, so he could give the roses they had brought to the prince and princess.

As the princess admired Theo’s school tie, the prince joked to his private secretary: “He’s got a smarter tie than you, JC!”

Afterwards, Crompton said: “I’m overwhelmed. He has been holding flowers stood here for a while. We just thought it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come down.”

As the royal couple arrived at the lifeboat station they reminisced about living near by on Anglesey while the prince was a search-and-rescue helicopter pilot based at RAF Valley.

William said: “It’s good to be back; it really is. It feels like going back in time, seeing where we all started to be a family unit.”

Anglesey is where they raised their eldest child, Prince George, nine, for the first few months of his life.

However, even though William is now Prince of Wales his command of the language is still a bit lacking. He has “a couple of phrases”, he said, but added: “I’m going to have to branch out a bit.”

(...)

I remember proposing more than Chinese (or German or Spanish), it'd be better for him to learn (and maybe master) Welsh, but I was rebuffed with "nobody speak Welsh anymore anyway, Chinese is more important for his diplomatic role". But seems like William agree with me.

Not that those languages are not important, but in his diplomatic role, it's okay for him to have interpreters and advisors to get the job done. But with Welsh (and maybe Irish/Gaelic), mastering those language would bring him certain edge to be closer to "his people", something that can't be achieved if he's using interpreters.

Historical Welsh ping pong balls?

I think there will be some kind of official event to commemorate William receiving the principality, but I don't think it will be an investiture, especially if it comes after the coronation and he has already worn the coronet and done his homage to his father there.

Perhaps a simple acknowledgement and greeting of the Prince and Princess of Wales at the Welsh Assembly?

I read somewhere that the couple has occasionally spent private holidays in Wales over the years. It would be nice, and I think well received, if the family started spending the occasional working holiday in Wales, something genuinely enjoyable for the children and not too intense, but more visible than a totally private vacation.
They’re building from a strong base in that they have familiarity and a seemingly genuine affection for Wales to go along with the titles.

I agree in that it would be good to see the Wales family appear more in Wales. I do hope that William and Catherine do carry on with the tradition of Wales week, and start to spend time with their children at the home acquired by Charles & Camilla. Further, it would be good to see them in Wales 3 - 4 times a year, as they continue to build links with local charities and communities.

Historical Welsh ping pong balls?

If they can unearth one Llewellyn the Great dropped somewhere, fine, but I don't know what the Welsh word for one is.

I would be extremely surprised if William gets invested in anything other than a suit and tie. The man just does not like the fancy royal getups. Otoh, he's gotta get used to them sometime?

Last edited:
I remember proposing more than Chinese (or German or Spanish), it'd be better for him to learn (and maybe master) Welsh, but I was rebuffed with "nobody speak Welsh anymore anyway, Chinese is more important for his diplomatic role". But seems like William agree with me.

Welsh is quite widely spoken in Wales, especially western Wales, and signposts and notices are usually in both Welsh and English even in eastern Wales. I live about 45 miles from the border, and signposts go into both languages as soon as you pass the "Croeso i Cymru - Welcome to Wales" sign ... even though you're still picking up local radio stations for Manchester and Liverpool! It's not necessary for William to learn it from a practical viewpoint, because pretty much everyone in Wales speaks English even if Welsh is their first language, but it'll certainly look better if he can speak some Welsh too.

I don't think we'll be seeing any sort of formal investiture.

Last edited:
If they can unearth one Llewellyn the Great dropped somewhere, fine, but I don't know what the Welsh word for one is.

Pel tenis bwrdd or pel ping pong I expect - I learned Welsh years ago but can't remember much or recall playing table tennis while speaking it!

There is no need for William to learn to speak Welsh as the vast majority of the Welsh can't even speak it. However, I would like to see William learn very basic Welsh and speak it properly, such as appropriate greetings and what not. I would also like to see William lend his weight and support to organizations and communities that promote the retention, learning, and usage of Welsh.

There is no need for William to learn to speak Welsh as the vast majority of the Welsh can't even speak it. However, I would like to see William learn very basic Welsh and speak it properly, such as appropriate greetings and what not. I would also like to see William lend his weight and support to organizations and communities that promote the retention, learning, and usage of Welsh.

I agree he doesn't need to become proficient but about 25% of the population are fluent in Welsh with another 15% having some Welsh so it's a significant language. As it's a compulsory subject for all state educated children in Wales, I think the Prince and Princess of Wales should definitely have a basic knowledge of it (and not murder the pronunciation!).

Prince and Princess of Wales, Current Events 1: Sept 2022

I agree he doesn't need to become proficient but about 25% of the population are fluent in Welsh with another 15% having some Welsh so it's a significant language. As it's a compulsory subject for all state educated children in Wales, I think the Prince and Princess of Wales should definitely have a basic knowledge of it (and not murder the pronunciation!).

It would certainly be appreciated by the Welsh, I’m sure, to know something of their language. Very good PR. I know language isn’t everyone’s forte- certainly not mine- but a little bit of knowledge would be good imo.

Spending time in Wales seems like a good idea too. Doing some Welsh- specific projects.

Back
Top Bottom