Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a girl I am loving Grace, Helena and Alexandra. All very classic in my opinion.

Yes, I thought of Grace Van Custem after I typed it! I can just imagine a little Princess Grace. Having a tough time thinking of boys names though. Alexander?

How about Geoffrey for a boy? Traditional, British, and sounds very close to Giraffe.

Geoffrey Charles Phillip Michael.

I'm pretty sure we have a children's show calls Geoffrey Giraffe! I agree the name is regal yet in a way modern. I like the spelling too.

I'm pretty sure we have a children's show calls Geoffrey Giraffe! I agree the name is regal yet in a way modern. I like the spelling too.

Geoffrey is also the mascot of the toy firm Toys R Us here in the states. :D

Yes, I thought of Grace Van Custem after I typed it! I can just imagine a little Princess Grace. Having a tough time thinking of boys names though. Alexander?
I think Grace would be a nice tribute to the flower girl

I like Alexander and Alexandra

But my bet is Victoria Elizabeth Diana Mary

I like the choice of Grace, it's feminine and pretty. I like Helena too, it's nice and traditional. Perhaps a middle name?

My first choice for a boy is still Arthur. I love it.

For a girl:
Charlotte Elizabeth Frances Carole
Eleanor Diana Caroline Elizabeth
Elizabeth-Anne Frances Victoria

For a boy:
George Arthur Michael Philip
Charles Michael William David
Edmund Charles Philip Arthur

Geoffrey I of Anjou (died 987)
Geoffrey II of Anjou (died 1060)
Geoffrey III of Anjou (died 1096)
Geoffrey IV of Anjou (died 1106)
Geoffrey V, Count of Anjou (1113–1151), father of King Henry II of England
Geoffrey II, Duke of Brittany (1158–1186), one of Henry II's sons
wikipedia

George William Charles Michael

Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline

Grace Alexandra Elizabeth Anne

I think that Elizabeth Alexandra Grace Anne would be more possible. They are going to roll each name with "Princess" & "Queen" to see how they work. "Princess Grace" is still, for the RF, going to bring recollection of Grace of Monaco and Queen Grace just does not jell.

I like the names Amanda and Victoria.

Matilda or Eleanor would be lovely first names for a girl.
Matilda Caroline Elizabeth Anne or Eleanor Caroline Frances Elizabeth perhaps.

I am coming to appreciate Matilda too, Zelia. I like its sound, and I like it because the Aussie's do, and I like it because of the interesting Medieval princesses with that name in Scotland, England, and France. Eleanor I like too. Gosh, five or so months to go, we will discuss all the names. There are a couple of Biblical names I like, which are unusual but have had popularity. One is Chloe, which I read is #10 in girl baby names, and Rhoda, which means Rose among the many Greek names used in the Bible. I had a distant cousin Rhoda whose parents came from Kent, England, to the English community in Sutherlin Oregon, north of Roseburg. I met her daughter Lilian when she was old.

I am coming to appreciate Matilda too, Zelia. I like its sound, and I like it because the Aussie's do, and I like it because of the interesting Medieval princesses with that name in Scotland, England, and France. Eleanor I like too. Gosh, five or so months to go, we will discuss all the names. There are a couple of Biblical names I like, which are unusual but have had popularity. One is Chloe, which I read is #10 in girl baby names, and Rhoda, which means Rose among the many Greek names used in the Bible. I had a distant cousin Rhoda whose parents came from Kent, England, to the English community in Sutherlin Oregon, north of Roseburg. I met her daughter Lilian when she was old.

Eleanor and Matilda are fantastic.

I can't agree with the others. If I may tease a bit :flowers::

Queen Chloe - doesn't work. Sounds like some sort of brand name.
Princess Rhoda - sounds like something out of Star Wars
Queen Rhoda - the 70 year old head of a bridge club in Palm Beach, Florida

Princess/Queen Lilian. I think it would be the "Estelle" of Britain; something nobody would ever, ever had guessed.

I'd suggest Prince Michael, after Kate's father, but I think Michael Jackson beat him to it.

Although, I suppose if they name the child Mary, and she one day becomes Queen Mary, there are those who will wonder why she was named after a ship.....:whistling:

I like Lillian. That's my grandmother's name.

I also like Mathilda (Or Matilda...I kinda like it with the 'h'), and Eleanor.

Mary Elizabeth Diana Victoria or Mary Elizabeth Henrietta Frances

Charles Philip Christian George or Charles Philip Henry Francis

Yes, Queen Chloe does sound sort of silly. Sorry about that. Apparently it's very popular. According to a baby names site. And I often appreciate names associated with interesting people. Did you know that Chloe in the Biblical book Corinthians asked the apostle Paul to resolve a dispute at the house-church she ran? Probably an interesting person. But Queen Chloe probably isn't OK. Back to Eleanor, Matilda, and Charlotte.

Names I doubt we will see used

John
Spencer
Fergus
Talulah!
Fifi
Pixie
Peaches
Heavenly Hirani TigerLilly!!

RUFUS Gilman will be christened in the near future, the son of Lady Rose Gilman and her husband; she is the elder daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (information from blog of Miss Honoria Glossip).

There you go, troops! An unconventional name! This tyke is not destined for the throne, unless fortunes change, but if they can do Rufus, the Cambridges can be a little unconventional? Maybe? Perhaps?

Lady Rose is a beauty. Her brother Alexander is handsome. Her sister Lady Davina is sweet and charming, like a flower in spring. Rufus comes into a blessed clan, may it continue.

I have been reading all the recent posts in this thread, and I have grown to love the name Helena. Another suggestion for a name combination; Helena Catherine Alberta Elizabeth? Alberta is the female version of Albert (I do believe) and it gives a nod to George VI and the Prince Consort.

Regarding the more unusual names, I quite like Adeliza (other variants are Adelicia, Adela and Aleidis). The name Adeliza gives a nod to the wife of Henry I of England; Adeliza of Louvain. However I highly doubt that this name will be used despite its royal connections. She was Queen Consort of England from 24 January 1121 – 1 December 1135. (My source is Wikipedia).

On the subject of Princes of Cambridge, I'm still sticking with my original bet of George. Like some other members, as soon as I heard that Catherine was pregnant I was thinking 'I can see a little Prince George or Princess Victoria of Cambridge.' The names above are new ones that popped into my head. :)

Last edited:
Hereditary Princess, I am afraid you are right, George may be it. I hope not. Nothing against the Georges who ruled in modern times (V and VI) but I would like to see a name associated with the more happy and modern monarchy we are now used to. I am getting more interested in names not used, such as Timothy, which is a dignified name of long standing (Biblical personage) and would honor the unsung spouses such as Tim Laurence.
I really thing Prince Timothy would be excellent. Unusual choice like that of Princess Estelle in Sweden, whose name honors a little known founding member of the royal family.

Prince Timothy of Cambridge sounds royal. Tim Cambridge, equally royal.

RUFUS Gilman will be christened in the near future, the son of Lady Rose Gilman and her husband; she is the elder daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (information from blog of Miss Honoria Glossip).

Rose actually is the youngest :flowers:
Rufus is a great name, makes me think of Rufus Wainwright who makes good music, I do think Lyla and Rufus are slightly mis-matched names though but that might just be me.

Hereditary Princess, I am afraid you are right, George may be it. I hope not. Nothing against the Georges who ruled in modern times (V and VI) but I would like to see a name associated with the more happy and modern monarchy we are now used to. I am getting more interested in names not used, such as Timothy, which is a dignified name of long standing (Biblical personage) and would honor the unsung spouses such as Tim Laurence.
I really thing Prince Timothy would be excellent. Unusual choice like that of Princess Estelle in Sweden, whose name honors a little known founding member of the royal family.

I do like most names that honor a less well known royal as I think it makes people 'know' them more. Another name that gives a nod to a less well known English Consort is Emma, after Emma of Normandy, who was the wife of Ethelred the Unready.

A bit off topic, but I would never had guessed that Princess Estelle would be named Estelle. I thought she would be called something like Lovisa, Ingrid, Désirée or Sofia.

Last edited:

There you go, troops! An unconventional name! This tyke is not destined for the throne, unless fortunes change, but if they can do Rufus, the Cambridges can be a little unconventional? Maybe? Perhaps?

Lady Rose is a beauty. Her brother Alexander is handsome. Her sister Lady Davina is sweet and charming, like a flower in spring. Rufus comes into a blessed clan, may it continue.

If fortune changes that much that Rufus is one day king, the suitability of his name is the least of it. :flowers:

His first cousins in front of him are Xan, Cosima, Senna and Tane. All names that would cause Queen Victoria to fan herself. :eek:

As for how unconventional the Cambridges can be without causing a stir.....I'm not British so I'm not sure. The British naming patterns are far more traditional than Americans anyway. Does the average Brit really care what the child's name is? Are they tired of George, Edward, Elizabeth and would like to see some new, modern, albeit traditional name? With all of the Alfreds and Charlottes I see in British names lists, I don't think so. I'd say that they'd like to see a new, traditional name or someone like the Queen honored

I get the feeling that what would cause the MOST outrage would be to give the child a name that was thought to be American... such as Braydon or Mackenzie or Taylor, or some Hollywood name like Blue Ivy or Shiloh or Tennessee.

Hear! Hear!

Timothy Rex

His first cousins in front of him are Xan, Cosima, Senna and Tane. All names that would cause Queen Victoria to fan herself. :eek:

:ROFLMAO: The Gloucesters definitely have been ... creative. Rufus is the most sane name out of that bunch (though to be fair, I don't think Senna is bad and Cosima, though sounding slightly pretentious, could have been worse too).

A bit off topic, but I would never had guessed that Princess Estelle would be named Estelle. I thought she would be called something like Lovisa, Ingrid, Désirée or Sofia.

I was absolutely certain she would be called either Christina or Désirée.

I don't know if William and Catherine will do the same thing and just choose a totally unconventional name though, I get the feeling that the British Royal Family is much more traditional.

Last edited:
Does the average Brit really care what the child's name is? Are they tired of George, Edward, Elizabeth and would like to see some new, modern, albeit traditional name? With all of the Alfreds and Charlottes I see in British names lists, I don't think so. I'd say that they'd like to see a new, traditional name or someone like the Queen honored

I get the feeling that what would cause the MOST outrage would be to give the child a name that was thought to be American... such as Braydon or Mackenzie or Taylor, or some Hollywood name like Blue Ivy or Shiloh or Tennessee.

I doubt they care, but whatever name they pick it will be hugely popular with newborns that follow it. The name will probably hit No1 spot for 2013. I've never met an Alfred in my lifetime, Charlotte yes.

You are right, if they name the baby Mercedes or Arizona or Chad then we might get a bit of "oh really?, for the future King/Queen?"

I just hope and pray the stick King/Queen, Prince/Princess in front of it so it makes sense.

I doubt they care, but whatever name they pick it will be hugely popular with newborns that follow it. The name will probably hit No1 spot for 2013. I've never met an Alfred in my lifetime, Charlotte yes.

You are right, if they name the baby Mercedes or Arizona or Chad then we might get a bit of "oh really?, for the future King/Queen?"

I just hope and pray the stick King/Queen, Prince/Princess in front of it so it makes sense.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't, they couldn't possibly be that thick.

Could you imagine if they named a baby girl Regina, not knowing what "Regina" means or what the "Elizabeth R" means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom