Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly though, with those cheeks the baby has absolutely the face of a Charlotte! :-D

She seems like a very calm baby...first name i don't think will be victoria or elizabeth..

She looks like a charlotte, alexandra or mary... or a grace...although i think that ones unlikely.

should be interesting...what the name will be...I am just excited they had a girl...she literally looks like a doll...they make beautiful babies.

Last edited:
I have just been watching a doco on SBS called: She Wolves: England's Early Queens, S1, Ep 1, about Matilda and Eleanor. I would be absolutely delighted if William and Kate would name their daughter after one of these extraordinary, strong, women. They won't, of course - neither of them has the gumption to do so - but at this very moment, before I know the truth, I can still hope.

What are the full names of Isla, Savannah and Mia? Do they all honor their great grandmother is some way?

I really like Eleanor (Elinor), with the nickname Ellie. I think George and Ellie are cute together. I don't like Mary for a first name because of the George/Mary.

Amelia, Amalia, Adelaide (George and Addy?) -- all cute.

What are the full names of Isla, Savannah and Mia? Do they all honor their great grandmother is some way?

I really like Eleanor (Elinor), with the nickname Ellie. I think George and Ellie are cute together. I don't like Mary for a first name because of the George/Mary.

Amelia, Amalia, Adelaide (George and Addy?) -- all cute.

Savannah: Savannah Anne Kathleen
Isla: Isla Elizabeth
Mia: Mia Grace

Savannah's full name honors Princess Anne and Isla's honors the Queen.

This is true .Old fashioned names have been back in for a while now. Lately I have even heard names I really thought would never return.Jennifer Connelly named her daughter Agnes (I think I have heard it given to a least one or two other babies. Edith is another one I thought was out but Cate Blanchette named her daughter Edith.

Alice doesn't sound as old fashioned as it did when I was growing up.

I also thought about Eliza it would be close to Elizabeth that could be a plus or a minus.I could see Elizabeth more as a second or third name but I won't be shocked if they don't use. Three of the Queen's granddaugher's already have Elizabeth as one of their names.

Other ideas (some I already listed)
Rose
Henrietta or Harriet (like Prince Harry)
Elinor
Joan
Augusta
Matilda
Christina
Rebecca

I guess I'd be surprised to see a name that hasn't been used in the last three generations of the royal family. A lot is going to depend on how much leeway the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be given with their second child's name. Cousin Zara's first name is certainly not a royal name and she was fairly high up in the succession at her birth. His cousins' children have names that are at the height of fashion in upper class Britain: Savannah Anne Kathleen and Isla Elizabeth (the nods to the family heritage are firmly in the middle spot in both cases) and their cousin Mia Grace. Would the Cambridges be permitted to do the same with their daughter? If so, I'd predict something fashionable, yet fairly common and conventional: Isabel, Olivia, Madeleine, Amelia, etc. I'd like to see one of the more eccentric names that are used by the aristocracy: Imogen, Ottilie, Cressida, Xanthe, etc., though I doubt they'd go that far. My bet is still with Alice, though I could also see Victoria, particularly since Prince Philip was largely raised by his grandmother Victoria. Charlotte hasn't really been used recently in the family and Queen Elizabeth may not want a direct namesake. Diana is probably out as a first name because of all the weight that comes with it.

No no no.

I would rather Catherine, who is the one who actually carried the child for nine months, honor her mother.

All the people who want the baby to carry the name of Diana, always state it is Diana's grandchild. They never say it is Catherine's child or William's child. They link Diana directly to the child.

It is never Carole's grandchild or Mike grandchild or even Charles' grandchild.

My guess is they'd either use Diana Carol or not use either of the grandmother's names. Since they didn't use any of Charles' names or Micheal's names ( I think) when they named George I don't think they'll use the mother's names either. For the first name I'd think they'd use a name unconnected with any living royal. I think they'll use a name that has history behind it ( in case she did become queen) but not name it after family. As for Carol the detractors would seize on that as evidence William is hen pecked. The poor woman is picked on enough. Diana's name carries far less baggage though I think it's ridiculous for either name to carry baggage - it's common to use a relatives name as a middle name. I think Diana Carol sounds nice for a middle name.

If I was them no Diana cause it will add unwanted attention. You can honour her with Charlotte which was what supposedly Diana said she would have named her daughter if she had one. It is also the feminine of Charles and Pippa's middle name. You can honour Diana too with Frances as a middle name. Also add Elizabeth since Wills's grandmas are Elizabeth and Frances and Kate's parents middle names are Elizabeth and Francis. That is how I would play it - Charlotte Frances Elizabeth.

But with George Alexander Louis they just used acceptable names they liked so it could be something popular like their cousins choices Mia or Isla but traditional like Amelia, Annabel, Emma, Eleanor, Matilda, Victoria or Isabel. However the betting choices - Charlotte and Alice are both popular names too.

The story I'd always heard was that Diana wanted a daughter named Allegra. Though I'm not sure where that rumor started -to me Allegra is the name of my allergy medicine, not a royal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rumor was that Diana had her heart set on Victoria as a name for her daughter. I don't remember ever hearing about Allegra being a name that she liked. I remember reading articles that also suggested that Edward's wife Sophie didn't get her first choice of name when it came to the naming of Lady Louise. I forget what name it was suggested by anonymous sources that she preferred, but it wasn't considered suitably royal. So the Queen and Prince Charles may have considerable veto power here.

it looks like george is one of charles' names, so maybe one of the queen's second names will be one of her second names? elizabeth as a second name may be a strong option: it would work because elizabeth is also kate's second name and carole's second name.

I think the rumor was that Diana had her heart set on Victoria as a name for her daughter. I don't remember ever hearing about Allegra being a name that she liked.

There seem to be a lot of different rumours about which names they wanted for a girl. I've always heard that Charles had reserved Victoria for a girl and Diana was set on Eleanor.

As long as she isn't named Diana then any name would be good.
George was a unique but traditional name. Knowing these two they won't choose Adelaide, Adelica, Eleanor or Charlotte.

Beatrice married a Battenberg whose parents' marriage was morgantic thus he was not a Hesse or HRH and Battenberg which was HSH was thus created for them. Victoria raised Beatrice's children to HRH so that Victoria Eugenie could be equal enough to marry her Spanish Prince cause HSH of Battenberg as not good enough. So while not a princess of Britain, her royalness comes from there and her title would have been comparable to being called HRH Princess Eugenie of York via Britain. I am going with Ming as counting her as the inspiration for Eugenie and as a member of the British royal family otherwise she could never have married.

Victoria had nothing to do with it. Victoria Eugenie acquired her HRH in 1906 through her uncle. Queen Victoria had been dead for 5 years by then.

Furthermore, Victoria Eugenie was only a HRH for 2 months - from the 3rd of April to the 31st of May.

Her title was not comparable to being "of York". Edward VII did not grant her a British title - like he did with other nieces - he just said she was an HRH. Furthermore, at the same time as he was saying that the government was finding ways to ensure that the Battenbergs were still technically a foreign family - something which wouldn't be possible if she was a British princess - so that Edward VII wouldn't have to consent (or deny consent) to her marriage to a Catholic.

I keep thinking that the little one already has a name and all the family is calling her "little something" and here we are talking about something that has already been decided :lol:

I hope they have chosen a delicate name like Mary or Alice (I like both, but Mary is my favorite), even Emma or Rose. They could honor the queen calling her Isabella or Isabel, I don't know if you know this but in Spain, for example, Her Majesty is known as Reina Isabel (Queen Isabel).
I was looking foward to see her named after me (let's laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:) but after seeing her, I'd choose something more delicate than Caroline or Victoria for example.

I'm sure I'll like it, I love George's name.

There seem to be a lot of different rumours about which names they wanted for a girl. I've always heard that Charles had reserved Victoria for a girl and Diana was set on Eleanor.

Well, to be fair to Diana, Eleanor was also a legitimate royal name. Annabel would have been too. It's too bad the Queen allegedly said no to Fergie's first choice. If you look at the Scottish family tree, the Cambridges could also conceivably use Marjorie, Isabella or Jean or Janet, along with Mary, Margaret and Elizabeth. Egidia was another name in use by the Scots, though it sounds pretty ugly. The modern form of Egidia is Gillian, which is quite pretty.

Wikipedia is pretty useful for tracing the family tree. I hadn't realized that Prince Charles actually has a legitimate bloodline claim to being Prince of Wales, through one of his very distant ancestors.

It's been said numerous times, but there's no way to confirm that and no one is on record saying it's true...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Very true, but the same can be said for the rumor that she preferred "Charlotte"...no?:whistling:

Numerous Royal Correspondents ate tweeting that the name, [if indeed it has been chosen] won't be made public today...

Very true, but the same can be said for the rumor that she preferred "Charlotte"...no?:whistling:

Absolutely... Which is why you'll never see me citing "well Diana wanted x name for a daughter"

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I still remember when the names of Athena and Estelle were announced and no one expected these names, because we all thought something like Thyra, Kristina, Louisa etc. :ROFLMAO:

So my last bet is Charlotte Frances Victoria.

I'd like to hear an odd or medieval name now! Something that would surprise us! Arabella perhaps.

My guess is they'd either use Diana Carol or not use either of the grandmother's names. Since they didn't use any of Charles' names or Micheal's names ( I think) when they named George I don't think they'll use the mother's names either. For the first name I'd think they'd use a name unconnected with any living royal. I think they'll use a name that has history behind it ( in case she did become queen) but not name it after family. As for Carol the detractors would seize on that as evidence William is hen pecked. The poor woman is picked on enough. Diana's name carries far less baggage though I think it's ridiculous for either name to carry baggage - it's common to use a relatives name as a middle name. I think Diana Carol sounds nice for a middle name.

I believe his name is Charles Phillip Arthur George.

Hi, for what my opinion is worth, my choice of name would be:

Alice Elizabeth Frances

However, Eleanor or Cecile would be lovely as a first name. The former was one of our greatest Queen Consorts (Eleanor of Aquitaine), and it could always be the French version of the name, Alienor, which is what Eleanor would have been named at birth and while she was Queen Consort of France to Louis VII. With Cecile, this would be a poignant reminder for Prince Philip, who had an older sister, Princess Cecile (1911-1937), who was married to the last titular Grand Duke of Hesse & by Rhine. They had 3 children and the Princess was pregnant with her 4th child, when, on November 16 1937 she, her husband, her mother-in-law and her 2 sons (Alexander & Ludwig) were killed when the plane they were travelling in crashed into a factory chimney in thick fog over Steene, Belgium. Tragically their orphaned daughter, Johanna, who was left at home, died in 1939 from meningitis.

Why didn't they say today? Only because the Queen haven't seen her yet? it's a bit strange...

Why didn't they say today? Only because the Queen haven't seen her yet? it's a bit strange...

Well, it's possible they haven't made a final decision on the name and need extra time. It will have nothing to do with whether the Queen has seen the princess yet.

Well, it's possible they haven't made a final decision on the name and need extra time. It will have nothing to do with whether the Queen has seen the princess yet.
I somehow feel it will be the most predicted name like Alice than unexpected one. I'd like to see some surprising choice but the odds of it are low. Knowing the conservatism of BRF...Maybe we will see something slightly unusual for the third name.:ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom