Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

There was a baby girl born around 1:00 AM UK time yesterday, the 2nd; whose sister was born on the same day as George, and this new baby girl's name is Aurelia. I told my mom and dad this, then added "Different spelling than the town" (city, really; with a population of roughly 30,000) in Ontario, Canada, about an hour and 45 minutes north of where we live in Hamilton. Regardless of the almost identical pronunciation but different spelling of a city not TOO far away, I still love the name; it means golden, and really fits a princess!

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Last edited:
What about Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena? She was a grandaughter of queen Victoria, her daughter Beatrice's daughter.

Victoria Eugenie (who is Eugenie's namesake) wasn't a British Royal. She was born a German Royal and became a Spanish one, but she wasn't a British one.

I remember both Princesses being born and they were highly unusual names for the time and totally unexpected. There was a lot of media around Sarah and Andrews name choices. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up! Though I don't remember the births of the York girls, I do recall reading things at a later date that mentioned that there was a lot of attention paid to the girls' names. For me, they just stick out in my mind as a good example of using names that already exist in the family but are rare. William and Kate certainly have lots of names they could choose for their daughter (though I'm still guessing they'll go with one of the more obvious ones). I'm excited to see what they choose, since I think we all pretty much knew that George was going to be called George, and it's a bit more up in the air this time.

Victoria Eugenie (who is Eugenie's namesake) wasn't a British Royal. She was born a German Royal and became a Spanish one, but she wasn't a British one.

Ok, I see what you are saying. Her father did become a naturalized British citizen right before his marriage though and her style was granted by Victoria rather than coming from her father. I did think we were speaking of all of Victoria's children and grandchildren.

I really hope they will use Diana somewhere in the name. Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria Diana, that's my guess. I just wish they would hurry up and announce it.

I've read numerous times that Charles and Diana planned to name any daughter "Victoria" or "Elizabeth"...that they had called dibs on it. Which was one of the reasons Andrew and Sarah did not use those names for their girls.

I've read numerous times that Charles and Diana planned to name any daughter "Victoria" or "Elizabeth"...that they had called dibs on it. Which was one of the reasons Andrew and Sarah did not use those names for their girls.

It's been said numerous times, but there's no way to confirm that and no one is on record saying it's true...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Ok, I see what you are saying. Her father did become a naturalized British citizen right before his marriage though and her style was granted by Victoria rather than coming from her father. I did think we were speaking of all of Victoria's children and grandchildren.

Mbruno claimed that both the Yorks were named for Queen Victoria's daughters, which I pointed out is inaccurate - Beatrice was named for one of Victoria's daughters, Eugenie for her granddaughter.

Victoria Eugenie was not a British Royal despite being both a British citizen and a Royal; she was by birth Her Highness Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of her father. She then became Her Majesty The Queen of Spain by her marriage. For a period of about 2 months she was Her Royal Highness Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of the will of her uncle, Edward VII, but that doesn't actually make her a British Royal. This was just a style change made to enable her to marry Alfonso XIII.

By the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born Charles' marriage was privately in shambles. It seems unlikely that Andrew and Sarah would have been told they couldn't use either name on the off chance that Charles might have another legitimate child.

Last edited by a moderator:

Victoria Eugenie was not a British Royal despite being both a British citizen and a Royal; she was by birth Her Highness Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of her father. She then became Her Majesty The Queen of Spain by her marriage. For a period of about 2 months she was Her Royal Highness Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg because of the will of her uncle, Edward VII, but that doesn't actually make her a British Royal. This was just a style change made to enable her to marry Alfonso XIII.

Beatrice married a Battenberg whose parents' marriage was morgantic thus he was not a Hesse or HRH and Battenberg which was HSH was thus created for them. Victoria raised Beatrice's children to HRH so that Victoria Eugenie could be equal enough to marry her Spanish Prince cause HSH of Battenberg as not good enough. So while not a princess of Britain, her royalness comes from there and her title would have been comparable to being called HRH Princess Eugenie of York via Britain. I am going with Ming as counting her as the inspiration for Eugenie and as a member of the British royal family otherwise she could never have married.

By the time Beatrice and Eugenie were born Charles' marriage was privately in shambles. It seems unlikely that Andrew and Sarah would have been told they couldn't use either name on the off chance that Charles might have another legitimate child.

I'd also heard that Diana wanted Charlotte if she'd had a girl; and that the name that Sarah wanted that got shot down for Beatrice was Annabel from Annabella which is a Scottish royal name. Beatrice was the suggestion of the Queen and thus she was named Beatrice instead.

The Royal Infant Acquires A Name: Princess Beatrice Duke And Duchess Searched Two Weeks For 3 Appellatives Of Relatives. - philly-archives

I really hope they will use Diana somewhere in the name. Charlotte Elizabeth Victoria Diana, that's my guess. I just wish they would hurry up and announce it.

No no no.

I would rather Catherine, who is the one who actually carried the child for nine months, honor her mother.

All the people who want the baby to carry the name of Diana, always state it is Diana's grandchild. They never say it is Catherine's child or William's child. They link Diana directly to the child.

It is never Carole's grandchild or Mike grandchild or even Charles' grandchild.

Why claim you are honoring someone by not using their real name?

If they wanted to honor Charles they would have used Charles in George's name. If they want to honor Catherine's mother Carole they will use Carole.

Elizabeth is a name that is used in both the Middleton family and the Royal family and it is not unique so it does not honor a specific person or a family.

Diana and Frances are only Spencer names.

Princess Carole Davina Elizabeth. (Davina honors Diana.)

Last edited:
I'd also heard that Diana wanted Charlotte if she'd had a girl; and that the name that Sarah wanted that got shot down for Beatrice was Annabel from Annabella which is a Scottish royal name. Beatrice was the suggestion of the Queen and thus she was named Beatrice instead.

The Royal Infant Acquires A Name: Princess Beatrice Duke And Duchess Searched Two Weeks For 3 Appellatives Of Relatives. - philly-archives

Annabella is really a name associated to a certain profession. The name means 'Pretty Ann' and then I associate it with saloons and barmaids...

:lol:

I still think May Belle is nice and respectful combo of names.

For a danseuse in the Folies Bergère or in the Moulin Rouge, maybe...

I have put small bets on two names with low odds (Alice and Victoria) and two with high odds (Frances and Caroline, both at 41:1).

My thoughts are that she won't get the exact name that someone living who is kind of close to the family has, so I ruled out:
- Elizabeth, Alexandra (Princess Alexandra, and George's middle name is also Alexander) and Charlotte (sounds too similar to Charles)
- I think Diana won't happen as the first name because it is too loaded with expectations for the little girl

Numerous studies show that parents chose less traditional names for girls than boys, plus being the second child, they may go for a less common name from amongst the traditional BRF/upper-class collection of names. I have a bit of a gut feeling Frances could be a goer (and it would be great for my bet too!).

(And I'm so happy they had a girl!!!)

Let us take all the second names of her three (step)grandmothers, let us assume she us called Adelaide:

HRH Princess Adelaide Frances Elizabeth Rosemary of Cambridge

Frances = second name of grandmother Diana
Elizabeth = second name of grandmother Carole
Rosemary = second name of step-grandmother Camilla

I think the little princess will be named Victoria, nicknamed Vicky and her full name Victoria Charlotte Diana.

I am going for Mary Elizabeth, Queen Mary was informally known as May of Teck, fits perfectly for a girl born in May.

I would love Alice. A tribute to Pcs Alice of Greece, born Alice Battenberg/Mountbatten, the mother of the Duke of Edinbourgh and grand grand mother of William.
And a funny thought! What about Camilla? As a name is nice.

People forget Kate is already honouring her late mother-in-law by accepting to wear her engagement ring. I don't believe they will use Diana for this reason.

People forget Kate is already honouring her late mother-in-law by accepting to wear her engagement ring. I don't believe they will use Diana for this reason.

Had Miss Middleton any option left? "No, I do not accept that big blue bonker encrusted with diamonds which was worn by your late mum" ...? She had nothing to "accept" , she had no other option than to wear it.

Had Miss Middleton any option left? "No, I do not accept that big blue bonker encrusted with diamonds which was worn by your late mum" ...? She had nothing to "accept" , she had no other option than to wear it.

i don't think it's such hardship to wear a lovely ring such as that one! :)

i think something along the lines of Adelaide or Amelia would be really nice and a bit different whilst remaining traditional. although considering the name of their first born was very traditional, i believe they will stick to names previously used within the royal family before.

i hope they announce their chosen name today, tomorrow is bank holiday in the UK, so i doubt we will get anything released tomorrow otherwise, and we will have to wait until tuesday...

I'm sure she would just as dedicatedly wear it if it was just in tiny band with a zirkonia in it... it's the memory that counts, not the bling of it.

That said, I'm sure they cherish the good memories of Diana in private often, there's no need to have to show it to the public with every step they do...

The phrase "Princes Diana" is still very much for one person only as it is not evey one generation ago that she passed away.
Maybe when P.George is grown up and has children of his own, then a Princess Diana would be good name to use

Princess Rose sounds very nice but maybe not enough royal

It should be quite rare to see fiancees to accept wedding proposals but to refuse to wear the engagement ring!

Guesses:

Princess Alexandra
Princess Adelaide
Princess Helena

Middle names: Frances Mary

I am assuming that when I arise tomorrow morning there will be news of the names chosen. :flowers: I look forward to discovering if we will indeed have a lovely Princess Anise. ;)

Well, I've arisen and there's no mention of the name yet. Just a lot of nasty sniping in the Mail Online because Carol and Pippa went to visit (how DARE they:whistling:). In any case I'll keep checking here since the news comes here before there anyway. Or it seems to. Maybe the mods will make it simply by starting a new thread with the baby's name in it when they name the baby so it's easy to see.

There was an article on how the Royal Mint is giving out special pink and blue bags with commemorative sterling silver coins in them to any baby in England who was born on the same day. How cool would that be:cool:?
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
I was hoping the name would be out already....I am going to be gone all day and unable to check the site until early evening....unless a news update hits my phone!

LaRae

It seems the Queen is at Sandrigham now so it is more likely we'll get a name in the coming days, when the couple moves to Anmer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom