Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why is Alice so super special and so anticipated? Why not Mary or Charlotte or Amelia or the other appropriate Royal female names?

My friend, who only follows royals at a distance, mentioned to me that she heard that everybody thinks it will be a girl called Alice, to which she added, "which means it won't be." :lol:

LOL When George was about to be born, everybody expected a girl and not too many were expecting a George. I really like the name Alice. If the baby Cambridge 2 was not a Alice, I hope Princess Madeleine's second girl (if it's a girl, of course) would be a Alice too (after Queen Silvia's mother).

I would love to see Charlotte as a first name if it's a girl.

LaRae

LOL When George was about to be born, everybody expected a girl and not too many were expecting a George. I really like the name Alice. If the baby Cambridge 2 was not a Alice, I hope Princess Madeleine's second girl (if it's a girl, of course) would be a Alice too (after Queen Silvia's mother).

Everybody was on the girl bandwagon last time too. However, once it was a boy, George was easy to guess as his name. George and Richard were the only multiple monarch names that weren't in use by the immediate family (not counting the Gloucesters as immediate family). George has the stronger Windsor ties and not the bad Richard III heritage.

The new baby has more options for names.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

So why is Alice so super special and so anticipated? Why not Mary or Charlotte or Amelia or the other appropriate Royal female names?

Alice was being touted as the Duchess did her paper on the author of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Carroll when she was completing university.

And it is also a bit of a family name with Princess Alice and the mother of Prince Philip.

I've seen recently that Prince Charles had "Victoria" reserved for any daughter he may have had, so if a little girl, this may be used for his grand-daughter.

Now the "New Idea" Snettisham Farm Park photos have been published by a U.S. magazine, I've seen people commenting on how "narrow" the Duchess looks from behind - and that this is a sure sign of a little boy being born.

Alice, or Victoria, may just have to be left on the shelf. :lol:

Last edited:
Having trouble posting. Not sure why. Says i have no permission to post! Sorry for posting this. Have had trouble posting. Wrote something about this subject but was denied.

Last edited:
A Princess Alice sounds very pretty, very antique. :flowers: Still partial to Charlotte, but Alice will do: Alice and George.

It's because it was reported there had been some substantial bets placed on Alice, from the Windsor area. Whether that's true or not, I couldn't say, but that's when the odds were shortened on Alice, and the public have jumped on the bandwagon.

My friend, who only follows royals at a distance, mentioned to me that she heard that everybody thinks it will be a girl called Alice, to which she added, "which means it won't be." :lol:

A lot of people thought the first baby would be a boy named George ... and it was. So :lol:

A lot of people thought the first baby would be a boy named George ... and it was. So :lol:

Although to be fair, there weren't a whole lot of options for a boy if they wanted a traditional name used for kings in the past. Most of them are used within the immediate family. As for girl names, on the other hand, there are a lot of unused traditional names and they're able to choose a bit more freely for this baby.

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

Only Anne was married and had kids when Charles got married so I don't know think he had to reserve Victoria. There wasn't a lot of babies being born just Peter and Zara. Zara was actually the suggestion of Charles. Plus Anne's kids were not going to be HRHs so that opens up more names.

I do think it's interesting that with 3 girls in George's generation that Elizabeth isn't used as a first name.

Unless it's Pippa or Rebecca Deacon making a bet on Alice, I don't think large betting indicates what will happen. They could go with the girl name they picked out when George was born or go for a traditional name that isn't a Royal name like Olivia or Emma. Andrew wasn't a name in the British royals until the Queen and Philip used it for their second son.

I still don't buy into not being able to use a name already in use within the family.

Considering the royal family tends to use traditional names they get used up pretty fast

Take James for example, yes Viscount Severn's name is James but its also the name of Kate's brother and she may like the name.

Plus HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn either with the public or within the BRF.

Is Zara a traditional name? honestly I haven't read or met online people with this name...

I've always thought Prince Charles suggested it to his sister and Anne liked it. I don't believe its a traditional name at all, but I can't remember where Charles got it from!

Zara was never going to be Royal in the same way Charlses boys or Andrews girls were. They could experiment out of the box.But Eugenie was a bit of a wildcard also- does anyone know why they chose that one?

Aren't Beatrice and Eugenie both names used by Queen Victoria for her daughters.

Andrew wasn't a name in the British royals until the Queen and Philip used it for their second son.

No, but it was the name of Philip's father: Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark

I still don't buy into not being able to use a name already in use within the family.

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to, but more a question of choosing not to. From observation, I think that they will avoid names that are in use among the closer family, and the younger cousins*.

*using 'cousins' in a broad sense there.

Let's not forget the reasoning behind Prince George's names - George for obvious reasons because one day he will be king and so it had to be something along those lines. Alexander Louis were chosen simply because they liked the names - well that's what I understood anyway.
So with that in mind and if William and Catherine stick with that name-choosing formula, the first name will be more traditional and the other names......well, anything goes I suppose! That hasn't helped has it!?

Sorry for offtop but i sometimes just don't understand this tradition to give heirs only used before names. The first Cambridge child could have had an unique name, he could have been The First. Prince Arthur or Albert... But they choose only from previouse reighing monarchs' names.
And we can predict that George's own children will have names Charles, Henry, Elizabeth/Catherine, Edward and so on. Even James is unlikely.

Last edited:
Let's not forget the reasoning behind Prince George's names - George for obvious reasons because one day he will be king and so it had to be something along those lines. Alexander Louis were chosen simply because they liked the names - well that's what I understood anyway.
So with that in mind and if William and Catherine stick with that name-choosing formula, the first name will be more traditional and the other names......well, anything goes I suppose! That hasn't helped has it!?

Louis is William's 4th name and was after Louis Mountbatten; Philip's uncle and Charles' Honorary Grandfather

I haven't weighed in on the name guessing game because I am always wrong, but I thought what the heck got nothing to lose, plus I don't like Alice or Albert so maybe I can influence the Cambridge's,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For a girl I like:

Alexandra Rose Elizabeth
Charlotte Victoria Frances
Amelia Alexandra Alice
Sophia Victoria Frances
Isabella Elizabeth Rose
Adelaide Elizabeth Jane

For a boy I like:

Phillip Michael Charles
Gabriel Michael David
Michael David James
James Phillip Michael
Christian Phillip Edward
Jonathon Albert Charles

I know none of these will be picked but what the heck, I like them. I like more modern names then what I believe will be picked but I hope it will at least they will be a little original. I think European Royalty has enough Lenore, Eleanor, Leonor, Elenor or any variation of that right now :bang:

Sorry for offtop but i sometimes just don't understand this tradition to give heirs only used before names. The first Cambridge child could have had an unique name, he could have been The First. Prince Arthur or Albert... But they choose only from previouse reighing monarchs' names.
And we can predict that George's own children will have names Charles, Henry, Elizabeth/Catherine, Edward and so on. Even James is unlikely.

I don't think we should automatically think that George and his wife won't use a bit of imagination, though. Who knows, we might get a Rupert, Nicholas or Helena or Eleanor.

I think the re-using of names is just a royal habit, and I agree, it's one that it would be nice that they would break for the male children.

If you look at some other royal houses though, what about the Danes for centuries--Frederik, Christian, Frederik, Christian?. Margrethe has made a nice change!

Or the Prussian royal family with all the Friedrichs and Wilhelms. All those French Monarchs named Louis. The Romanovs tended to stay in the Alexandr, Nicholas repeat position in the last century or so of its existence, as well.

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Cambridges are keeping tabs on the name betting and just to throw 'em all off, they name a baby daughter Alicia? :ROFLMAO:

Or the Prussian royal family with all the Friedrichs and Wilhelms. All those French Monarchs named Louis. The Romanovs tended to stay in the Alexandr, Nicholas repeat position in the last century or so of its existence, as well.
Oh, I agree but that was more than century ago, maybe it's time to bring in new names. Oh just use some not so common. What's wrong with Albert/David as a first name?
Alice/Alicia is a beautiful name but I secretly hope for Victoria.

In ye olde days, when most everyone was illiterate, it made sense to reuse the names of the good kings such as Edward, Henry or William. If the first one of his name was really bad then it disappears for a long time - John, Stephen. James and Charles were Stuart names. The Hanovers that replaced them aren't going to use their names for their children.

Since 1066, there have only been 9 names of Kings and 4 names of Queens. So with George, Elizabeth, Charles, William,George - its going to be 100+ years between repeated names. At least that is improving.

How about a double-barrelled first name as King Willem-Alexander and the Princess of Orange have? One traditional, one more modern - as a way of introducing a more modern first name for our British monarchs. Traditions have to start from somewhere!

My last minute guesses are also my first guesses:

Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana Caroline of Cambridge
Prince Arthur Richard Philip Leopold of Cambridge

Aren't Beatrice and Eugenie both names used by Queen Victoria for her daughters.

Beatrice was the name of Queen Victoria's youngest daughter and child. Eugenie wasn't the name of any of Queen Victoria's children, but of her granddaughter, Queen Ena of Spain, whose birth name was Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg. :flowers:

Zara was never going to be Royal in the same way Charlses boys or Andrews girls were. They could experiment out of the box.But Eugenie was a bit of a wildcard also- does anyone know why they chose that one?

I don't know if they actually named Princess Eugenie after her, but as I mentioned above, it's the name of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters who later became the Queen of Spain.

I've always thought Prince Charles suggested it to his sister and Anne liked it. I don't believe its a traditional name at all, but I can't remember where Charles got it from!

I remember reading that Charles suggested Zara to Anne because it means "princess" in Arabic, but I'm not sure if that's true. A very fitting meaning for HM's first granddaughter, even though she isn't titled!

Oh, I agree but that was more than century ago, maybe it's time to bring in new names. Oh just use some not so common. What's wrong with Albert/David as a first name?

Nothing. Albert was the first name of both King Edward VII and King George VI.

How about a double-barrelled first name as King Willem-Alexander and the Princess of Orange have? One traditional, one more modern - as a way of introducing a more modern first name for our British monarchs. Traditions have to start from somewhere!

Queen Victoria wanted her son to reign as Albert-Edward I but he relegated the Albert using two arguments:

1. His father's name - Albert - should stand alone as he was known as 'Albert the Good' - that was certainly the case during Victoria's reign but hasn't lasted

2. English/British Kings only have one name and he wasn't going to go against that tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom