Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we rule out - as first names - all those of current living members of the BRF we rule out all of the following:

Elizabeth
Philip
Charles
Camilla
William
Catherine
George
Henry
Andrew
Beatrice
Eugenie
Edward
Sophie
Louise
James
Anne
Timothy
Peter
Autumn
Savannah
Isla
Zara
Michael (Mike)
Mia
David
Serena
Charles
Marguerite
Sarah
Daniel
Samuel
Arthur
Richard
Birgitte
Alexander
Claire
Xan
Cosima
Davina
Gary
Senna
Tane
Rose
George
Lyla
Rufus
Edward
Katherine (with a K as well as with a C)
George
Sylvana
Edward
Marina
Amelia
Helen
Timothy
Columbus
Cassius
Eloise
Estella
Nicholas
Paola
Albert
Leopold
Louis
Michael
Marie-Christine
Frederick
Sophie
Maud
Gabriella
Alexandra
James
Julia
Flora
Alexander
Marina
Zanouska
Christian

This is the list of those born into the BRF and their spouses to the descendants of Princess Alexandra. There are already a number of double up of names in that list. I don't have a name of Marina Ogilvy's spouse to add to this list. The Harewood's (descendants of George V's daughter aren't included).

Charles - 2
George - 3
Edward - 3
James - 2
Michael - 2
Marina - 2

I think:

Sunday 26th, April, 2015
Baby GIRL.

For a girl I actually like names Charlotte(a tribute to paternal grandfather), Victoria, Elizabeth and maybe Alice. These are my favourites. No, I love such names as Amelia, Eugenie and Gabriella, but they are not for William's children.
it's a bit unfair that even in 21st century royal parents can't just give their children a not so traditional name. Even such old ones like Daniel, Jacob, Samuel, Clarence are under restriction.

For a girl I actually like names Charlotte(a tribute to paternal grandfather), Victoria, Elizabeth and maybe Alice. These are my favourites. No, I love such names as Amelia, Eugenie and Gabriella, but they are not for William's children.
it's a bit unfair that even in 21st century royal parents can't just give their children a not so traditional name. Even such old ones like Daniel, Jacob, Samuel, Clarence are under restriction.

I'd like to see them branch out a bit with number 2 - introduce some new, albeit traditional name into the family.

And what about a Princess Eleanor Charlotte Elizabeth? Or Prince Christian Michael Albert?

And what about a Princess Eleanor Charlotte Elizabeth? Or Prince Christian Michael Albert?
These are really nice names but I hardly doubt HM would approve them. Remember that this baby is a spare so he must have a royal name too. Such in case.

All of those names are Royal names. Christian is one of Andrew's names.

I really don't think that the Queen would say no to what ever names that William and Kate would want to name their child. She isn't a super control freak person.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:

I have 2 comments on that statement....

First those names are very traditional and other than Michael they are all royal family names and perfectly appropriate (and Michael is appropriate just not a current royal family name).

Most importantly I don't see HM using her 'approval' except for in extreme circumstances (Apple, North, etc). She was raised with the story of how her own parents had wanted to name their 2nd daughter Anne and it was not accepted by the king, who 'suggested' Margaret. I don't think it is any coincidence that HM named her daughter Anne.

Prince Michael of Kent might disagree with Michael not being currently in use by the royal family.

Prince Michael of Kent might disagree with Michael not being currently in use by the royal family.

Oh my!! ? im so embarrassed. Asking forgiveness as brain was not awake yet (early Sat am here) thank you for correction.

Christina Elizabeth Frances
Tiffany Anne-Marie

Or

Frederick Antonio David
Christian Henry Charles

All of those names are Royal names. Christian is one of Andrew's names.

I really don't think that the Queen would say no to what ever names that William and Kate would want to name their child. She isn't a super control freak person.

The Queen said no when Fergie wanted to name her eldest daughter Annabelle.
The Queen suggested Beatrice, and Beatrice is what she is.

Christina Elizabeth Frances
Tiffany Anne-Marie

Or

Frederick Antonio David
Christian Henry Charles

I highly doubt Tiffany (or any other name along those sounds of lines) would be chosen. Princess Tiffany of Cambridge just doesn't sound quite right to my ears. I like the name Antonio but if William and Catherine were ever going to use it, I think they'd go with Anthony instead as it's more familiar in Britain.

According to this article in the Daily Mail Alice, Victoria and Elizabeth (as well as Frances) are the most popular choices for a little Princess; whilst Albert, Frederick and Adolphus (I don't believe that - whilst it has been used in the BRF before and I [upon forgetting about the negative famous associations] suggested it for Prince George, because of the related Adolf belonging to we-all-know-who, I doubt it will be chosen) are popular choices for a little Prince.

I would share my name with Baby Cambridge No. Two if it were a girl and William and Catherine decided to go with the popular choice of Alice. :cool:

Tiffany, Dman ?

Thou jests ! - The Windsors are NOT Kardashians...

I'll make my final guesses, as it can be at any moment now.

For a girl: Princess Alice Elizabeth Charlotte of Cambridge.

For a boy: Prince Arthur Philip Albert of Cambridge.

Why associate it with the Kardashian's?

I and millions of others associate it with a rather tacky, vulgar jewellers... [and in this country] with a character in the long running 'soap' Eastenders. Neither associations would recommend the name to the Windsors ! Its the vulgarity that makes me think of the Kardashians..

It may or may not be considered a beautiful name, but it isn't one likely to be used for the 'spare' in the family of the heir to the throne of the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
I and millions of others associate it with a rather tacky, vulgar jewellers... [and in this country] with a character in the long running 'soap' Eastenders. Neither associations would recommend the name to the Windsors ! Its the vulgarity that makes me think of the Kardashians..

It may or may not be considered a beautiful name, but it isn't one likely to be used for the 'spare' in the family of the heir to the throne of the United Kingdom.

I didn't know a name could make someone feel like that. I think it's best to stop associating nice names to such things.

isn't it kind of verboten in the family to name a kid after a living family member or maybe living royal?

It's not fashionable nowadays to name children after their parents, and people avoid giving names that are already in use for young cousins and relatives. It wasn't always that way: people used to repeat names to a great extent, which is seen today as somewhat dull and unimaginative.

It's not fashionable nowadays to name children after their parents, and people avoid giving names that are already in use for young cousins and relatives. It wasn't always that way: people used to repeat names to a great extent, which is seen today as somewhat dull and unimaginative.

I think the trend is also moving away from naming a son after his father. I don't hear of too many "Juniors" these days and it always kind of irritated me to hear the "Big Fred" and "Little Fred" thing. :D

These are really nice names but I hardly doubt HM would approve them. Remember that this baby is a spare so he must have a royal name too. Such in case.

Eleanor was the name of Eleanor of Aquitaine – arguably one of the most notable Queen Consorts in English history. Christian, albeit not a name commonly associated with the BRF, is, as Skippyboo said, one of Andrew's names and was the name of Alexandra of Denmark's beloved father, King Christian IX (which, I believe, is how it was introduced to the BRF).

Unless William and Catherine are planning on naming the baby Prince/ss Moonblood Seastar Bloodraven Brian of Cambridge (or something like that :p), I really don't see why ever the Queen would interfere with what they're naming their child.

A list of possible names based on the names used by English/Scottish/British/Wessex monarchs and their consorts, in alphabetical order with the names not typically seen in modern English removed

• Adelaide
  • Adeliza
  • Albert
  • Alexander
  • Alexandra
  • Alfred
  • Anabella
  • Anne
  • Caroline
  • Catherine
  • Charles
  • Charlotte
  • Constantine
  • Cullen
  • David
  • Donald
  • Dorothy
  • Duncan
  • Edgar
  • Edith
  • Edmund
  • Edward
  • Eleanor
  • Elizabeth
  • Emma
  • Francis
  • Geoffrey
  • George
  • Harold
  • Henrietta
  • Henry
  • Isabella
  • James
  • Jane
  • Joan
  • John
  • Kenneth
  • Madeleine
  • Malcolm
  • Margaret
  • Marie/Mary
  • Matilda
  • Oliver
  • Philip
  • Philippa
  • Richard
  • Robert
  • Sophia
  • Stephen
  • Sybilla
  • Victoria
  • Wallis
  • William
  • Yolande
I do think the names used by the descendants of Elizabeth II and the DoE or their spouses are unlikely to be used as the first name (eliminating Charles/Anne/Edward/Sophie/William/Catherine/Henry/George). I also kind of think that the names of the members of the immediate Middleton family are unlikely as a first name as well (Michael/Philippa/James).

I was here early on, but will repost my pick for a baby Princess as for some reason I think it's a girl...

Elizabeth Katherine Rose

Yes, I know that it would be spelled w/a "C" instead of a "K". That's just my personal preference showing. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Spelt with a K though would be a way to honour the Duchess of Kent - the quiet lady who is almost forgotten but who was always a gentle supporter of Diana.

I think the trend is also moving away from naming a son after his father. I don't hear of too many "Juniors" these days and it always kind of irritated me to hear the "Big Fred" and "Little Fred" thing. :D

That has always seemed to me to be an American thing Along with the numbers because the same names have been used down several generations.

I'm hoping it's not one of the really old royal names like Albert, Arthur, Alfred that aren't so popular nowadays.

Googling royal names I like Stephen, Edmund, Adrian, David, Nicholas (perhaps too Russian) for boys. I did like Richard but the reburial etc. has been a bit much.
Girls: Amelia, Helena, Alice, Emma, Sophia. Just adding to the mix Mariella and Cecilia.

Last edited:
Amelia ,Helena ,Sophia and Alice and especially Emma are really old Royal names.

I wonder why Helen/Helena hasn't been used very much in the BRF, except for Lady Helen Windsor, of course? I think Helen of Cambridge sounds very nice.

I've never read of Adolphus being suggested by anyone, really. Perhaps a joke? It was the name of one of King George III's sons, but I don't think it's been used since. Wonder why!!

James seems to be making a late run in polls, but I still don't think they'll use it because of the Wessex connection. I still think a vaguely trendy name which is palatable to William and Kate like Frederick (Freddie) or Arthur is more likely as a first name, David, perhaps.

Nobody every suggests Frederick do they? Traditional but modern enough, some Royal pedigree. A nice solid name altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom