Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they could just go for Eleonore for a daughter:whistling:

Or Eleanor. I actually don't think that would be too unlikely – however used it may in the other European royal families. IIRC there were rumours that Eleanor was what Diana wanted to name a daughter (whereas Charles had 'saved' Victoria). George and Eleanor actually sound quite adorable together and Eleanor of Aquitaine would be a terrific namesake.

Charlotte, Caroline, Alexandra, Alice, Amelia, Emma or Arabella

Alfred, Alexander, Arthur, or Philip

Charlotte, Caroline, Alexandra, Alice, Amelia, Emma or Arabella

Alfred, Alexander, Arthur, or Philip

Caroline would be beautiful! It's also feminine version of Charles.
It could honour not only Prince of Wales but also Mrs. Carole Middleton.

Actually I really like the name Charlotte but seeing as William has a little cousin with that name, I don't think they're going to use it.

I can also see newspaper headings of Bonnie Princess Charlie if they did or just Princess Charlie. I think Grandpa would be over the moon with a little granddaughter named in his honor.

Maybe as a middle name?

The Charlotte cousin is Earl Spencer's youngest child. It doesn't appear that William has much of a relationship with his uncle Charles so the fact that one of his kids is named Charlotte would probably not stop W&K from using the name if they wanted to. Heck, all 3 of George's name are names of William's Spencer cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm a bit over Charlotte as a name- I've had several friends use it this year and it's one of the trendiest names in use right now.

I would rather something less used. Alice, Adelaide, Amelia or Helena

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

For a Princess: Mary

Mary would be a fitting tribute to the Royal ladies named Mary.
Mary would also be a fitting tribute to Catherine's paternal side of the Middleton.
She has three ancestresses named Mary Middleton. :crown2:

I agree. Not even to mention the fact that HM and Philip named their firstborn Charles well aware of the somewhat unfortunate history of that name. If William and Catherine have to rule out all names who have the slightest negative connotations attached to them, they would barely have any names left to use.

Archduchess Zelia, this is a grand observation.
If Prince William and Catherine have a son and name him John, John shall be his name.
William Arthur and Catherine Elizabeth are the parents.
Hopefully the general public has not forgotten this fact.

For a Princess: Marjorie
Marjorie (1297-1316) was the daughter of King Robert I of Scotland.
She married Walter the Steward.
Their son became King Robert II of Scotland.

Princess Joan. :flowers:

Lady Nimue, Princess Joan is an excellent choice!
Princess Joan, daughter of King John of England became Queen Joan of Scotland from 1221 to 1238.

For a Princess: Emma
Queen Emma (Emma of Normandy) was the mother of King Edward the Confessor.

For a Prince: Edmund Ernest Edwin

For a Princess: Elizabeth Emma Edwina

For a Prince: William Michael Robert

For a Princess: Angela

The Queen Mother was originally Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon.

For a Princess: Adeliza
Adeliza of Louvain was the second Queen Consort of King Henry I.

For a Prince: Augustus Duncan Tristram
For a Prince: Christian Edwin Reynard

For a Prince: Walter could be used as a middle name.
Walter, 6th High Steward of Scotland, was the father of King Robert II of Scotland.
Robert II and Walter are ancestors of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
:royalscotland::walesflag::royalscotland::walesflag::royalscotland:

For a Princess: Georgiana could be used as a middle name.

Suppose the second child is a daughter.
The first name of the Princess is announced: Eleanor.
We ask: Why was Eleanor chosen?
We speculate and scrutinize: After Queen Eleanor and/or Princess Eleanor.
We ask: Eleanor of Aquitaine, Eleanor of Castile, Eleanor of Provence, Eleanor of Brittany? :crown3::crown3::crown3::crown3::crown3:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think John will be used, as it is unlucky for the BRF. King George V and Queen Mary's youngest son Prince John died when he was thirteen as he had epilepsy, and there was also a Prince Alexander John who died as a baby. I have read that Diana wanted to name William John, but it was vetoed.

I and everyone else who dares to read any "possible names" for a British Royal Child is well aware. Hence my, just because. I don't believe in names being unlucky and somehow, I think if anyone really wanted to name their son John, they would.

I've read a lot of stuff regarding John & Victoria as names and I just don't care anymore.

I would still like to see a John or Victoria. :cool:

I would like Arthur for a boy.
If George had been a girl I would have loved Charlotte in memory of Charlotte, Princess of Wales.
If this one is a girl, I suggest Elinor. I find this spelling, which is used in Sense and Sensibility, very elegant.

I would like Arthur for a boy.
If George had been a girl I would have loved Charlotte in memory of Charlotte, Princess of Wales.
If this one is a girl, I suggest Elinor. I find this spelling, which is used in Sense and Sensibility, very elegant.

My guess is Arthur or Charlotte. I would like something else but I think there is a small amount of names they could use.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I and everyone else who dares to read any "possible names" for a British Royal Child is well aware. Hence my, just because. I don't believe in names being unlucky and somehow, I think if anyone really wanted to name their son John, they would.

I agree. Not even to mention the fact that HM and Philip named their firstborn Charles well aware of the somewhat unfortunate history of that name. If William and Catherine have to rule out all names who have the slightest negative connotations attached to them, they would barely have any names left to use.

It's just my personal opinion that John would be a less likely option, because it hasn't been used in the RF since the Prince's death in 1919. IIRC, John was ruled out when Diana was considering it for William. This gives me the impression that the RF are quite superstitious. Having said that, I do understand the other side of the argument, and that if William and Catherine love John, they should use it - and also how that if they were choosing names by this "rule", they wouldn't have many names to choose from. I have nothing against John as a name and I think it's handsome and strong - and it also sounds fantastic with George.

I've read a lot of stuff regarding John & Victoria as names and I just don't care anymore.

I would still like to see a John or Victoria. :cool:

I think I misread your "just because", which would explain my post. I do agree about Victoria though, it's still my top contender for a Princess and was for George, had he been a girl. I haven't heard the stuff about Victoria before, though I once read that Queen Victoria didn't want any of her descendents to share her name, but I don't think that's true because Victoria is Eugenie's middle name (Eugenie Victoria Helena). It is also the name of the Duchess of Lugo's daughter in Spain, who is a descendant of Queen Victoria from Queen Ena.

Also, but maybe totally out of context: like George, Charlotte is a famous name in a lot of languages, like French, Dutch or German :)

Charlotte, like George, also has many international variants, including Carlotta and Lotte. :)

Last edited:
I think I misread your "just because", which would explain my post. I do agree about Victoria though, it's still my top contender for a Princess and was for George, had he been a girl. I haven't heard the stuff about Victoria before, though I once read that Queen Victoria didn't want any of her descendents to share her name, but I don't think that's true because Victoria is Eugenie's middle name (Eugenie Victoria Helena). It is also the name of the Duchess of Lugo's daughter in Spain, who is a descendant of Queen Victoria from Queen Ena.

Victoria didn't say that, rather the opposite. During her lifetime she had some 25-30 descendants with Victoria in their names (not to mention the Victors, Alexandrinas, Alexandras, and Alexanders). It's said that she wanted every British monarch after her to have either her or Albert's name.

If I recall, and apologies if someone mentioned earlier, Charles and Diana were fond of Victoria for a girl (I have no idea where I read it :). I doubt William and Catherine would saddle their daughter with Diana as a first name. Too much pressure and comparison for the little girl. But maybe honor Diana by naming the baby a name Diana had chosen should she of had a girl.
I will go with Victoria for a girl.

A boy, I am stumped, but wonder if they will consider Philip? Prince Philip is now the oldest living Duke in the UK with the recent death of the Duke of Wellington, (and is the babies great grandfather)--would be a nice homage to him.

Middle names--no idea.

Honestly, I wanted a girl the first time but I'm really routing for a girl now. Like I wanna be in the birthing suite with a foam finger that says "#1 Girl" on it LOL jk. But my takes on a first name are:
1. Princess Mary of Cambridge
2. Princess Victoria of Cambridge
3. Princess Augusta of Cambridge
4. Princess Jane or Cambridge
5. Princess Margaret of Cambridge
To be quite honest my number name is Princess Anne of Cambridge but that ain't gonna happen
For a boy:
1. Prince Arthur of Cambridge
2. Prince Stephen of Cambridge
3. Prince Malcolm of Cambridge (Scotland honored)
My number one name for a boy that I also know won't happen is Prince Lionel of Cambridge

:previous: Princess Mary of Cambridge and Princess Augusta of Cambridge have such lovely rings to them – Mary in particular, I'd absolutely adore if they revived that one.

Mary in particular, I'd absolutely adore if they revived that one.
You and me both. I also hope for a Princess Mary, I think it's a very beautiful and classic name, just like George. The only thing that would be strange is the combination George and Mary, which reminds me of King George and his wife Queen Mary.:whistling:

Girl: Maybe Elizabeth Diana Carole.

Boy: I have no idea.

I am going to go with what I had for a girl and a boy for George:

Charlotte or Alice for a Princess and Arthur for a Prince.

I think two middle names will be given to be the same as George. I was surprised by only giving him two middle names considering everyone else has 3 (except Zara and Peter). I would like to see Elizabeth in the name line up as a nod to the Queen considering William always speaks so highly of his Granny. It's a popular middle name in the family (Anne, Zara, Beatrice, Louise and Isla all have it as one of their names) and I believe it's Catherine's middle name.

The BRF also give the same name to children at times. There were three Edward's at one point and some of the extended family are called Edward and George. I am not saying the next child will be Edward (and I hope it isn't), but I can see them using a name that is already in use by a distant member. Charlotte is of course being used by Lady Marina-Charlotte but she is "distant" enough for it not to get confused. I believe William's young cousin is called Charlotte but the likelihood of her mixing with this children a lot are slim. Another example is Anne and Louise - their names are very similar. Anne is Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise and Louise is Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary.

Louis was a popular middle name (William, Edward and George all have it) and Philip is popular (Charles, William and James) so Philip is another option for a middle name.

Last edited:
Yes I could see them using Louis and Philip as middle names for a boy, and I do understand about replication of names sometimes. I do think it's a pity though that James has already been used for the Wessexes' little boy, as it's a perfect princely name, in my opinion.

Also like Alice, Elizabeth, Charlotte and Victoria. Of the four I believe they would opt for a vaguely trendy name and so Alice or Charlotte are more likely as first names than the other two.

Honestly, I can't understand why The Wessex's shouldn't have used James only for the Cambridges sake... A bit ridiculous IMO. In 2007 William and Kate weren't married and if both Ed and Sophie liked the name James then, they had all the right to name their son as they pleased...

I think James would have been a good choice too but sadly Edward beat William to the punch and got to use the name. It had not been used in the BRF for many years until Viscount Severn, as it was originally a Stuart name and the name died out after the Hanover's took over in the 1600/1700's, so it was a surprise choice for Edward although the name is very popular in today's society.

Honestly, I can't understand why The Wessex's shouldn't have used James only for the Cambridges sake... A bit ridiculous IMO. In 2007 William and Kate weren't married and if both Ed and Sophie liked the name James then, they had all the right to name their son as they pleased...

Exactly - if Edward and Sophie liked the name then they had every right to use the name. The Queen had to approve their name choices and she obviously didn't mind them using James as she probably knew George would be used for furture Monarchs. Had Edward and Sophie wanted to use George the Queen may have said no.

Last edited:
Exactly - if Edward and Sophie liked the name then they had every right to use the name. The Queen had to approve their name choices and she obviously didn't mind them using James as she probably knew George would be used for furture Monarchs. Had Edward and Sophie wanted to use George the Queen may have said no.

Yes, but Edward is so distant from the throne that he had a lot of leeway in choosing a name.
William and Kate are more limited in the choices available to them.

I still think allowing Edward to take the name was short-sighted.

If William and Catherine want to name their child James (if they are having another boy), they will name their child James.

All right so Edward could not choose a certain name for his son because his nephew might get married one day and then said nephew might have a son some point in future? That seems silly in my opinion.

Though Edward is far enough from the throne he is still a senior royal needing to get approval from his mother so in reality did not have that many more suitable options than William does now...If He could very well have gone with George himself and people would complain he did not reserve that name for a son that might or not be born at an undefined time in future.

If William and Catherine want to name their child James (if they are having another boy), they will name their child James.

Well, not quite. The queen still has to approve...technically they could just love the name Kanye Bieber of Cambridge. Does not mean it will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did the idea that the Queen has to approve of the name come from?

Even if that the case, The Queen could still approve of the name James being used for William second son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom