Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since George has only 3 names (George Alexander Louis), I assume his future sibling won't get a fourth name either.

If it's a girl, I believe Victoria Diana Elizabeth (HRH Princess Victoria of Cambridge) would be appropriate.

Philip hasn't ever been used in the British Royal family either. I suppose historically it's more associated with the Spanish royals, but Prince Philip of Cambridge doesn't sound too bad!

I agree, Prince Philip of Cambridge has a nice ring to it – and so does Prince Philip of Wales which he eventually will be. I am sure the DoE would be more than pleased to have a great-grandchild named after him (but I am also a firm believer that had Catherine's sister not been named Philippa, that's what they would have called a daughter).

Philip Albert Edmund sounds lovely to my ears.

Yeah, that was one, but it would have been nice if we actually had it from their spokespeople themselves... trouble is you can find any explanation for the name on internet, i even read one which stated the prince was named after the character George on Seinfeld...
If we continue that thought the next child might be Elaine, Jerry or Cosmo :lol:

I do think William and Kate have more choices than they did with George. For their eldest they were expected to choose something very traditional, but a second child, whether male or female, is unlikely to succeed.
So they can really go wild...(not that I think they will).

I like Victoria as a first name also.

LaRae

Sophia is a lovely name but is so overused here in the U.S. (most popular name if you count the variant Sofia. I hope they go with something a little underused.

Although, I have to say I love the name Anne-Sophia, which was the name of one of the daughters of Queen Anne, who of course died young. I doubt we will see this name as Anne is already in use, and there's Sophie Wessex.

I really hope they have a girl and name her Victoria Charlotte Diana or these 3 names in any sequence.

I'd read somewhere that Charles and Diana wanted to name their daughter (if they had one) Victoria, so that would be a lovely tribute to not just Diana but Charles as well and one of the UK's most well known and longest reigning (atleast for the moment) monarch.

Diana because well William seems to honour his mums memory and I'd really like to see the name make a comeback. Though I feel they'll steer away from Diana and honour her in another way. I do see Harry using Diana for his daughter (if he has a daughter).

Charlotte - It's a lovely name and there's already been a Charlotte of Wales (this Princess will most likely become a princess of Wales when William becomes prince of Wales). It'll also be a nice nod to Charles and Carole (Charlotte is a variation of the 2 names). And for the Diana fanatics a nod to the Spencer family - the Earl Spencer's youngest daughter is Charlotte Diana.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Victoria Elizabeth Diana
Victoria Elizabeth Charlotte
Victoria Diana Charlotte

I think it would be nice to have Elizabeth as the second name though...

I don't think they will use diana in the name...i think there is a better chance of Francis (sp?) being used.

i do think there top names for the last one were probably Alexandra and Victoria...so those are probably at the top of the list for the next one IF its a girl..

Obviously the first name will be super traditional...other names I like are mary...charlottes nice too...but, I don't that will be a first name.

Victoria Elizabeth Diana
Victoria Elizabeth Charlotte
Victoria Diana Charlotte

I think it would be nice to have Elizabeth as the second name though...

If Elizabeth is not the first name (for HM), I think it will be the 2nd name as that is both Catherine and Carole's middle name. One reason I think Charlotte Elizabeth is a strong contender is that it would be a continue both the mother and grandmother's monograms of 'CE'

Remember the reasoning behind george's name was that they liked those names...and that it wasn't any deeper than that.

Remember the reasoning behind george's name was that they liked those names...and that it wasn't any deeper than that.

Look, I know they said that, but they just happened to like the name of the Queen's father's regnal name, the middle name of the Queen (Alexandra), and the name of the late Lord Mountbatten, who got the Queen and DOE together and who was so near and dear to Charles' heart.

Think about it. :flowers:

Look, I know they said that, but they just happened to like the name of the Queen's father's regnal name, the middle name of the Queen (Alexandra), and the name of the late Lord Mountbatten, who got the Queen and DOE together and who was so near and dear to Charles' heart.

Think about it. :flowers:

So jaded, Giraffe.

I think when they said that they picked names they liked what they meant was they picked family names that they liked. I think we can expect the same with this child - family names that the Cambridges like. I doubt it'll be more than 3 names and I doubt any relative - with the possible exception of Diana - will be blatantly referenced in the name. George was more subtly named after people, and I think we can expect similar with this child.

Still, the point was that they stayed with family names.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to pick Magic Appleseed or something like that.
But, I do think they'll go with something like Victoria or James.

Magic Appleseed would be so awesome!

You're right Ish - I think they meant that they went with names they liked within their limited list.

With number 2, they can go a little farther afield. So I'm not as sure we can guess the name correctly.

I doubt we will see Diana in the name - unless it's the last in a string because one thing Will has made clear is that he does NOT want his kids in the media all the time - naming a child Diana would just invite more public attention (no matter how much he wishes to honor his mother).

i have no doubt it will be a super traditional name girl or boy...i don't think they will get creative with it either..

I still think that if anyone is going to use Diana's name for their future daughter, it will be Harry. Simply because she would not be the future monarch and would therefore be less on the public's radar. Yes, she'd still get a ton of attention, but nowhere near William and Catherine's children.

Prince Albert of Cambridge

Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge

I too think William and Catherine will go for something more traditional this time like they did with George. I highly doubt James will be chosen for a first name, as we already have James Middleton and the Viscount Severn. The Daily Mail are saying that 'a close biographer' to the couple has said that Diana will be included amongst Baby Cambridge No. Two's set of names, but as it is The Daily Mail, I'm going to take that statement with a grain of salt - but do think it's very likely Diana will be in there somewhere.

For a Princess: Sophia Alice Carole
Sophia, Electress of Hanover was the mother of George I.

For a Prince: Robert Duncan Malcolm
Robert, Duncan, and Malcolm are the names of Kings of Scotland.

Given the recent Scottish referendum, I doubt William and Catherine would only name their child after past Scottish Kings if it were a boy - even though the overall result was No, it might still be considered to be in poor taste, but perhaps that's just me. I like the idea of Princess Sophia of Cambridge though, and think Carole is a possibility, but would personally prefer the idea of Caroline to honour Catherine's mother.
I really hope they have a girl and name her Victoria Charlotte Diana or these 3 names in any sequence.

I'd read somewhere that Charles and Diana wanted to name their daughter (if they had one) Victoria, so that would be a lovely tribute to not just Diana but Charles as well and one of the UK's most well known and longest reigning (atleast for the moment) monarch.

Diana because well William seems to honour his mums memory and I'd really like to see the name make a comeback. Though I feel they'll steer away from Diana and honour her in another way. I do see Harry using Diana for his daughter (if he has a daughter).

Charlotte - It's a lovely name and there's already been a Charlotte of Wales (this Princess will most likely become a princess of Wales when William becomes prince of Wales). It'll also be a nice nod to Charles and Carole (Charlotte is a variation of the 2 names). And for the Diana fanatics a nod to the Spencer family - the Earl Spencer's youngest daughter is Charlotte Diana.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, I'd read that about Diana wanting Victoria for William had he been a girl too. I hadn't thought that about using Victoria to honour Diana because she liked it. I'm all for more unexpected ways of honouring relatives - some of my own favourites honour my mother, but are not necessarily derived from her name, but are instead connected to people, music, flowers or places she loves.

Whilst I adore Charlotte and think it's quite likely that it will be chosen, the Princess Charlotte in question died young, so perhaps they might consider it unlucky or something, like they do with John.

:previous: We forum followers overthink the history of royal names IMO.

William - William of Glos died in a plane crash; another William was assasinated -but its not a problem

Henry - A young Prince Henry drowned; Henry VII usurped the throne; Henry VII was a tyrant (but good re the navy) - probably didnt cross their minds

George - Prince George of Kent was killed in a plane crash

David - Family name for the Prince of Wales/Edward VIII - didnt put off Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon

Charles - well - Charles I lost his head

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.

The windsors are a pragmatic bunch - if they like it, then they will use it. Nothing to do with "bad luck" or previous history.

William - William of Glos died in a plane crash; another William was assasinated -but its not a problem

Henry - A young Prince Henry drowned; Henry VII usurped the throne; Henry VII was a tyrant (but good re the navy) - probably didnt cross their minds

David - Family name for the Prince of Wales/Edward VIII - didnt put off Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.i

The windsors are a pragmatic bunch - if they like it, then they will use it. Nothing to do with "bad luck" or previous history.

Which royal William was assassinated? Whilst I agree with most of your post, I do think some of the reasons as to why certain names like John are underused or not used at all within the RF is because they might consider them as unlucky (there was King John, who lost the Crown Jewels in the Wash [and who IMO was just not the greatest English King in general], Prince John, who died young of epilepsy, and Prince Alexander John, who died as a baby).

:previous: William II "Rufus"

Ah OK, thanks for the info. I don't know a lot about the medieval royals, which explains why I was unaware that it was William II who was the royal William who was assassinated.

:previous: Son of William I - not a good king.

In some ways, King John was the luckiest king, because why no one ever assassinated him is a miracle :lol:

I haven't put in my options so:-

Girl
Charlotte Rose
Eleanor Mary
Alice Frances

Boy
John Peter (John after William's grandfather)
Michael Charles
Philip Peter

As far as a name for a princess, I think they will go short, sweet and simple for the first name. Mary keeps popping into my mind. The thing about Mary is that so many other middle names roll off the tongue with it such as Mary Elizabeth, Mary Rose, Mary Frances, Mary Beth, Mary Lou. You get the idea.

Anne - 19 (some large number) pregnancies and no surviving child but not considered unlucky.

It's been said that Diana wanted to name William John (for her father) but the Queen was opposed because it's a bit of a jinxed name in the BRF. And it is - I think there's only been one Prince John in 1,000 years of history in both England and Scotland that didn't die young or have a less than great legacy. Both England and Scotland have exactly one King John, and both men are less than fondly remembered.

Other names in the BRF might be associated with one or two less than savoury characters or bad endings, but none with the frequency of John. The only other name that could be considered to be as "bad" in BRF history would be Oliver.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Diana-Dukes-mother-girl.html#article-2772468

Found this whilst browsing. I'm sure it's just rumours and speculation, but who knows?

This is just rumours. The press is not going to know the gender of the baby unless a huge leak happens, and if Kate's still in her first trimester still then the gender can't be determined yet.

The rumours of "Kate's pregnant with a girl they're calling Diana" circulated when she was pregnant with George too. And when she wasn't pregnant as well. They'll probably circulate until Kate either gives birth to a girl they name Diana or is clearly past the age of having a child.

What the heck are the chances that the Will/Kate camp has talked to Andrew Morton, off all people? Elizabeth Diana is just a good guess on his part.

More ideas ...

Harriet Elizabeth Rose
Charlotte Elizabeth Frances
Ellen Victoria Mary

Edmund Charles Francis
Hugh James Henry
John Arthur Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom