Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, every female grandchild of Victoria had her Name, for example Victoria of Hessen-Darmstadt (1863-1953?), married to Louis Mountbatten.

Albert/Alberta - I don't know.

What's about Victor for a boy and Alberta for a g-irl ?

Okay, so I looked through the names of the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren (the generations all feasibly born during Victoria's lifetime). It is entirely possible that I miscounted at some point.

Victoria had 9 children, 7 of whom had either Albert or Victoria in their names, 1 who had Alberta, and none who had Victor.

She had 40 grandchildren, 27 who had either Albert or Victoria in their name and 7 who had either Alberta or Victor in their name - although there is overlap between those sets (for example Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale).

She had 88 great-grandchildren, 16 who had either Albert or Victoria in their name and 14 who had either Alberta or Victor.

Alice Elizabeth Frances

A princess would be lovely, especially if she looks like her mother. A good way to honor Diana- her middle name. I imagine they will not be allowed to use Diana. Just a hunch.

Obviously a typo.... Nicholas is a fine name for a prince.

I agree. There is also a Lord Nicholas Windsor in the extended BRF, which makes all the more sense if William and Catherine did use it for their second child, if it is another Prince of course. But, I doubt it will be chosen because of Lord Nicholas.

I don't think Victor will be chosen because of the Duke of Clarence and Avondale, as he is quite a negative connotation to the name as he was one of the suspects for Jack the Ripper. I love the idea of Alberta however, as it's a nice feminine twist on Albert IMO.

If they are avoiding names already in use by family, it's going to be the immediate family -Queen's children, grand kids and great grand kids maybe you throw in David and Sarah's family but if they wanted to used Michael or Nicholas having distance relatives with that name would not stop them.

I think that they would choose to honor the William's grandparents before Victoria and Albert.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't think Victor will be chosen because of the Duke of Clarence and Avondale, as he is quite a negative connotation to the name as he was one of the suspects for Jack the Ripper. I love the idea of Alberta however, as it's a nice feminine twist on Albert IMO.

Albert Victor hardly is a negative connotation anymore. IIRC, it was proved a good while before the recent Jack the Ripper-revelation that Albert Victor wasn't even in London at the time of the murders and therefore could not have been the murderer. The remaining negativity surrounding him was because he presumably was homosexual and involved in the Cleveland Street scandal. However, it should hardly stop William and Catherine from naming a son Victor that a distant relative named Albert Victor (and didn't even go by Victor in the family, but Eddy) was homosexual. Besides, I doubt the average person thinks of Albert Victor when hearing the name Victor.

If it's a girl, wouldn't be nice if she's named HRH Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge.

Elizabeth of Cambridge does sound nice. Margaret could be also be used as a middle name. Somehow, I think they might go with a blend of the traditional and trendy if it's a girl. Charlotte may be chosen, as it hasn't been in the family for a very long time, with Elizabeth as a middle name.

If it wasn't for there being a (well-known) Caroline of Monaco I would have favoured that as honouring Carole Middleton.

That is correct, Kita.
Queen Elizabeth II's father was Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George.

Sounds like it's about time for another Albert. I've always liked that name. If they have a boy, i do hope it's included somewhere!

Elizabeth of Cambridge does sound nice. Margaret could be also be used as a middle name. Somehow, I think they might go with a blend of the traditional and trendy if it's a girl. Charlotte may be chosen, as it hasn't been in the family for a very long time, with Elizabeth as a middle name.

If it wasn't for there being a (well-known) Caroline of Monaco I would have favoured that as honouring Carole Middleton.

I think it would be very sweet to include tributes to both Diana and Carole if they have a girl. I know Carole gets a bit of a beating from some people, but she just seems like an attentive and caring mother to me - just like Diana was with her boys. I'm so glad William found the Middletons and the stability they have.

I think it would be very sweet to include tributes to both Diana and Carole if they have a girl. I know Carole gets a bit of a beating from some people, but she just seems like an attentive and caring mother to me - just like Diana was with her boys. I'm so glad William found the Middletons and the stability they have.

I'd like Diana to remain in abeyance for another generation. Perhaps

Catherine Elizabeth Frances Alice Louise

I think they will use three names like they did for George.

Princess Alice Elizabeth Carolina

Prince Arthur Philip Henry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

If I’m not completely wrong George wasn’t named in honor of anyone. Okay... his names have been well used in the royal family but still they haven’t been chosen because of certain people. So... if they are not inclined to name their first child in honor of friends or family members, I don’t see a reason why they would do this with any subsequent children. They’ll probably pick traditional names that have been used in their families before, but are names they just simply like.

I’m still dreaming of a little Leopold. I guess Georgiana is out now, but Alice is still in. It’s a classic and hasn’t been used that often yet. Margot would be a nice name. Then of course there is also Victoria, Sibylla, Charlotte, Amelia. For boys the choice is more limited unless they decide to go for a classic name that hasn’t been used before. Like Christian, Sebastian, Thomas (I think), Oliver, etc.

The Queen's father was King George VI so I don't see how one could say it was not chosen because of a certain person....?

LaRae

The Queen's father was King George VI so I don't see how one could say it was not chosen because of a certain person....?

LaRae

The parents *themselves* said they didn't name P.George after anyone, they just really liked the names...
This is not just an opinion of someone here, this is actually confirmed by William and Kate themselves :flowers:

The parents *themselves* said they didn't name P.George after anyone, they just really liked the names...
This is not just an opinion of someone here, this is actually confirmed by William and Kate themselves :flowers:

Thank god I’m not the only person to remember that. I just can’t seem to find a source. :bang:

Okay, so I looked through the names of the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren (the generations all feasibly born during Victoria's lifetime). It is entirely possible that I miscounted at some point.

Victoria had 9 children, 7 of whom had either Albert or Victoria in their names, 1 who had Alberta, and none who had Victor.

She had 40 grandchildren, 27 who had either Albert or Victoria in their name and 7 who had either Alberta or Victor in their name - although there is overlap between those sets (for example Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale).

She had 88 great-grandchildren, 16 who had either Albert or Victoria in their name and 14 who had either Alberta or Victor.

Wow, that is/was a great Family.

Victoria overlived 3 of her 9 children and so many of her grandchildren. :-(

Albert Victor, Prince of Cambridge, that sound's good. ;)

Or Alberta Victoria, Princess of Cambride. ;)

I prefere the names Michael or Francis (after the maternal grandfather) and Carol or Diana (after the grandmothers) or Charles (after the paternal grandfather).

Michaela Charlotta Francine Diana. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Michael Charles Francis Henry . :ROFLMAO:

Obviously a typo.... Nicholas is a fine name for a prince.

"We are not amused." :lol: - that's could be, what the Queen will say, about her grandson named Nicolas.

There is only one Prince with this name , a Prince of Greece, distantly related to Prince Philip ?

"We are not amused." :lol: - that's could be, what the Queen will say, about her grandson named Nicolas.

There is only one Prince with this name , a Prince of Greece, distantly related to Prince Philip ?

Nicholas is more of a Continental Royal name than a British Royal name. You see it a lot in Russia, a bit in Romania, a bit in Greece. Not so much in Britain; the closest I can think of is Lord Nicholas Windsor, the Duke of Kent's youngest.

There are I believe 3 Prince Nicholases right now; Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark (son of Constantine II), Nicholas, Prince of Montenegro (current pretender to the Montenegro throne), and Prince Nicholas of Romania (grandson of Michael I).

Prince Nikolai of Denmark (b. 1999), elder son of Prince Joachim
Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein (b. 2000), youngest son of Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein
Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein (b. 1947), brother of Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein

Prince Nicholas of Romania (1903-1978)
Nicholas I, Emperor of Russia (1796–1855)
Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868–1918)
Nicholas I, king of Montenegro (1841–1921)

Source?

LaRae

Albert Victor hardly is a negative connotation anymore. IIRC, it was proved a good while before the recent Jack the Ripper-revelation that Albert Victor wasn't even in London at the time of the murders and therefore could not have been the murderer. The remaining negativity surrounding him was because he presumably was homosexual and involved in the Cleveland Street scandal. However, it should hardly stop William and Catherine from naming a son Victor that a distant relative named Albert Victor (and didn't even go by Victor in the family, but Eddy) was homosexual. Besides, I doubt the average person thinks of Albert Victor when hearing the name Victor.

You have raised a good point. For me, when I think of or suggest names negative connections or past negative connections are a quite a big factor, so I guess my post was more from my personal point of view, if that makes sense. As an example, I would stop liking a name if I have a personal negative connection with it - all the people I have known called Katrina have been unpleasant, so I don't like the name (if anyone here is called Katrina, please don't take this personally, by the way).

If they are avoiding names already in use by family, it's going to be the immediate family -Queen's children, grand kids and great grand kids maybe you throw in David and Sarah's family but if they wanted to used Michael or Nicholas having distance relatives with that name would not stop them.

I think that they would choose to honor the William's grandparents before Victoria and Albert.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I wasn't saying that they should not use any name that is already in use in the RF, because that would mean William and Catherine would have to cross off a lot of names on their list. I just meant that they might not use it as it would get confusing at family gatherings, but I understand that there is such a thing as nicknames and also that Lord Nicholas is more 'minor' than Prince George, so they wouldn't bump into each other that often.

I'm not a fan of the name Michael, so I hope it's not used, unless the Cambridgeshire use it as a middle name.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not a fan of the name Michael, so I hope it's not used, unless the Cambridgeshire use it as a middle name.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Middleton Non-Fan Club would be apoplectic if baby's first name was Michael, and not Charles, Phillip, etc.

Source?

LaRae

I don't know. I can clearly remember reading about it here of all places, but I can't find it. Perhaps this evening I'll have more time to look for it.

I don't know. I can clearly remember reading about it here of all places, but I can't find it. Perhaps this evening I'll have more time to look for it.
It really was reported in many articles.

I don't remember reading it in any articles at the time, but it was discussed a lot by us leading up to and immediately after the name announcement.

It was reported that George's name was picked because it was one the Cambridges liked. I think it's likely they'll follow suit with this child - pick a name that they like that is royal and also subtly honours family.

Philip hasn't ever been used in the British Royal family either. I suppose historically it's more associated with the Spanish royals, but Prince Philip of Cambridge doesn't sound too bad!

Philip hasn't ever been used in the British Royal family either. I suppose historically it's more associated with the Spanish royals, but Prince Philip of Cambridge doesn't sound too bad!

What about Phillip Michael Charles Peter

That would represent both the Windsors & the Middletons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom