Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about them not using the name Diana .I think will be more for Harry to use when he has a daughter.For a first or second name.

I will go with Alice for a girl(I'm leaning toward a girl)

For a boy I don't know there seems to be a more limited choice.David maybe.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine or Alice Elizabeth Rose

David Charles Phillip

When the present Queen was born the Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) had a favourite girl's name picked out. She and the Duke submitted the name Anne to the King (George V) the baby's grandfather. For reasons known only to himself King George knocked the name Anne back.

The Duchess was rather upset. She wrote to a friend "Anne of York is so pretty!" So Elizabeth was a second choice for the parents. The present Queen must have been told this story and probably thought of it when her first daughter was born.

I agree about them not using the name Diana .I think will be more for Harry to use when he has a daughter.For a first or second name.

I will go with Alice for a girl(I'm leaning toward a girl)

For a boy I don't know there seems to be a more limited choice.David maybe.

Alice Elizabeth Catherine or Alice Elizabeth Rose

David Charles Phillip
Wasn't David the nickname of Edward VIII? I doubt that they would want to name a child after him.:eek:

I like Alice Elizabeth Rose.

When the present Queen was born the Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) had a favourite girl's name picked out. She and the Duke submitted the name Anne to the King (George V) the baby's grandfather. For reasons known only to himself King George knocked the name Anne back.

The Duchess was rather upset. She wrote to a friend "Anne of York is so pretty!" So Elizabeth was a second choice for the parents. The present Queen must have been told this story and probably thought of it when her first daughter was born.

I thought the story was that Princess Margaret was supposed to be names Anne Margaret because they thought Elizabeth and Anne of York were a great pair of names for royal sisters until George V vetoed at which point Anne Margaret became Margaret Rose.

Names I hope for

Girl:

Charlotte Diana Mary
Victoria Eugenie Sophia/e
Alexandra Elizabeth Rose
Sophia Anne Margaret
Amelia Catherine Louise
Helen/a Caroline Victoria
Sarah Anne Charlotte

Boy:

David Charles Edward
Philip Henry James
Albert Michael Louis
Richard Andrew Peter
Stephen Philip David
Patrick Michael Philip

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Wasn't David the nickname of Edward VIII? I doubt that they would want to name a child after him.:eek:

I knew I would trip up on on something!:eek: I'm sure you are right about David. Now I really hope it's a girl. I can't think of any royal names for a male that are not in use that I'm all that fond of.

I like the idea of Alice it might seem less grand than some of the others but it's a nice name and not too long. A family name as well.

I'm glad they went with three names before I doubt they would change that. I prefer that over four.I think it's easier to find three name that fit together and sound right.

I suppose they could always go for Victor or Arthur. Princess Beatrice had a son, Maurice, but realistically something like Frederick, that hasn't been used in the main line of the British royals for some time may well be used.

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

With George, they may have went just with 3 due to Alexander being a longer name. If you sound it out George Alexander Louis is almost as long as William Arthur Philip Louis.

Viscount Linley is David and Harry is Henry Charles Albert David. So it has been used post 1936 and the abdication.

Last edited:
:previous: Indeed – and David was the name of the Queen Mum's beloved brother. I think they have let go of the Duke of Windsor reference in favour of more pleasant recollections of other Davids by now.

Why not? Princess Margaret chose to name her son David, and the Queen chose to name her youngest Edward - ensuring that both of the names that Edward VIII was best known by lived on in the family. Harry also has David in his name.

It's the name of the patron saint of Wales and comes up repeatedly in Welsh and Scottish Royal history.

I really like the name David, but perhaps for #3 - I just have a strong feeling this one's a girl.

I love most traditional names for girls, Charlotte, Alice, Eleanor, Adelaide, Mary, etc, etc. I doubt I will be disappointed.

I really like the name David, but perhaps for #3 - I just have a strong feeling this one's a girl.

I love most traditional names for girls, Charlotte, Alice, Eleanor, Adelaide, Mary, etc, etc. I doubt I will be disappointed.

Agreed on all. Alice and Adelaide are my two top choices, and I really do think this one will be a girl.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I was a big fan of Alice during the first pregnancy and wanted a future queen. I loved the idea of Queen Alice I. Still do. They may go for Alexandra, HM middle name. I'd love them to have a Welsh name in there regardless of gender.

I never get these guessing games right but here's my guesses (also would love it to be a girl but think it will likely be another little boy)
Boys: Frederick, Philip, Thomas, Albert, Arthur, David and as an way out choice Oliver
Girls: Mary, Victoria, Sophia, Caroline, Emily (I know - not traditional names but I still love Charlotte - not sure about Alexandra as George has Alexander as one of his middle names)

I never get these guessing games right but here's my guesses (also would love it to be a girl but think it will likely be another little boy)
Boys: Frederick, Philip, Thomas, Albert, Arthur, David and as an way out choice Oliver
Girls: Mary, Victoria, Sophia, Caroline, Emily (I know - not traditional names but I still love Charlotte - not sure about Alexandra as George has Alexander as one of his middle names)

If they love Alexandra, and it was reported last time that they did, having it as George's second name won't stop them, esp. as it honors the Queen.

I really hope its a boy and Prince Albert of Cambridge fits the bill me. For a girl I like Princess Elizabeth of Cambridge.

The of Cambridge tag will change as William becomes the heir apparent. First to of Cornwall and then to of Wales then it will drop off when William is King.

All of their children will be Prince/Princess name of Cambridge. In the normal order of things only the first boy would have been a prince, but the Queen declared that all of their children will be HRH.

I know that the children will be H.R. but I thought Prince/Princess of other than Cambridge!

It will be Prince ----- or Princess ------ of Cambridge, until Charles becomes King. William will then probably be briefly Duke of Cornwall and Kate Duchess (very briefly probably as William's stepmother is associated with the title and they'll want to avoid confusion) and then Charles will almost certainly make William Prince of Wales. William and Kate's children will then become Prince George of Wales and his siblings will be 'of Wales' too.

When Kate was pregnant with George, the Queen issued Letters Patent declaring that all of William's children would be styled as HRH Prince/Princess. Without it only the eldest son (George) would be styled this way during the Queen's reign. The other children would have been Lord/Lady Name Mountbatten-Windsor. When Charles became King, all of the kids would then be upgraded to HRH Prince/Princess.

The territorial designation of the children's titles will change as William's title change. Harry's title will change to when Charles becomes King. He will lose the of Wales and just become HRH The Prince Henry because he is the son of King now, not the Prince of Wales who will be his brother once named.

A note about William's future titles:

When Charles becomes King, William will become Duke of Cornwall AND Cambridge - a double barrelled dukedom, just as George V was Duke of Cornwall and York for most of 1901 (including holding those titles in that form official when he opened the first Australian parliament in 1901).

Whether he is ever created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester (those titles go together) will be up to Charles and the Welsh Assembly which might come out and ask that there not be another Prince of Wales.

As a result the children's titles will go something like:

Prince George of Cambridge
Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge
Prince George of Wales
The Prince George
HM The King

All siblings would follow the same title change with the exception of the last one.

Can William keep both dukedoms and be POW at the same time?

LaRae

Possible names for the 2nd child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

William will still be Duke of Cambridge and all the other titles that come will being heir apparent and then named Prince of Wales until he becomes King. The titles associated with the heir apparent become George's. The dukedom of Cambridge is merge into the Crown and can be then reissued. So if this baby is a boy, he could end up as Duke of Cambridge if his father gives him the title when King.

George won't ever be just HRH The Prince George. He will have Dukedoms that go with being the eldest son of the King if William becomes King. He would still be the Duke of Cambridge if William died before becoming King.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom