Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Royal Highness Princess Caroline Victoria Frances of Cambridge
Her Royal Highness Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge
Her Royal Highness Princess Mary Catherine Elizabeth of Cambridge

Well, I hadn't made a baby name prediction yet (even in my own head), as I like all the names being discussed, but as I was thinking about it last night, somehow I just got the feeling that they'll choose Alice or Elizabeth as the first name. (Or perhaps use both names: I like RosieStroud's guess of Alice Elizabeth Frances). To me, those both sound like names that William and Kate would choose, and they also seem like they would suit the little princess. Somehow something like Victoria seems a bit too grand, but watch me be proven wrong!

somehow I just got the feeling that they'll choose Alice or Elizabeth as the first name.
Same here! I don't like them not because they are bad but they are predictable and "standard", boring variants. But still I will be glad to know any princess' name tomorrow!(I hope so)

I somehow feel it will be the most predicted name like Alice than unexpected one. I'd like to see some surprising choice but the odds of it are low. Knowing the conservatism of BRF...Maybe we will see something slightly unusual for the third name.:ermm:

A mixture of traditional and something a little modern, unusual or unexpected would be lovely.

"Elizabeth" covers all the bases. It honors the infant's mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.

I am now almost convinced that it will be her first or second name.

A mixture of traditional and something a little modern, unusual or unexpected would be lovely.
What is the point to give a baby even the most modern middle name if she will be known only by her first? Middle names are just.. formality. They are used only several time in life.

Well, to be fair to Diana, Eleanor was also a legitimate royal name.

And IMO a mighty fine one :D Supposedly (or, what I've heard) she had read a book about Eleanor of Aquitaine while she was pregnant and got inspired.

Why didn't they say today? Only because the Queen haven't seen her yet? it's a bit strange...

Not everyone decide on a name before the baby is born. In fact, most people I know have preferred to get to know the baby before naming it. And it's not like William and Catherine can just change it once they've announced the name to the public (or, they can but I doubt they will).

I agree, because the whole name usually consists of 3-6 names. But in case baby has just 2 names, it could be later called by both. For instance, I know a woman, whose name is Mary Diana, everybody calls her by entire name.

But it's not the case of little princess, I suspect.

What is the point to give a baby even the most modern middle name if she will be known only by her first? Middle names are just.. formality. They are used only several time in life.

Well, if she is only to be known as her first name, (rather than, say a middle name being used by the family as a nick-name), should't we just be thinking up of one name instead of three or four?

Well, if she is only to be known as her first name, (rather than, say a middle name being used by the family as a nick-name), should't we just be thinking up of one name instead of three or four?
Well, in some countries people actually have only one name. In the medieval England and Scotland it was customary to have only one name.
What I wanted to say is that the most important is their choice of her first name whatever it will be. And sadly the options for it are not very wide.

Well, in some countries people actually have only one name. In the medieval England and Scotland it was customary to have only one name.
What I wanted to say is that the most important is their choice of her first name whatever it will be. And sadly the options for it are not very wide.

Well, the options for the first name are quite wide, I think, especially compared to the "available" names for them to choose from when they named George. And I think middle names can be quite important, especially if they're used to honor specific family members or friends (and it seems to be especially important with royals, particularly because some British monarchs have reigned under one of their middle names - though of course I realize the new princess isn't expected to ever be queen). Personally, I'm certainly most excited to find out first name, as that will likely be what the baby is called, but I think middle names are certainly of interest.

Just saw that Olivia has become a favourite name alongside Alice and Charlotte. It's the first time I have heard this name mentioned. Does anyone know why? Any significance?

Just saw that Olivia has become a favourite name alongside Alice and Charlotte. It's the first time I have heard this name mentioned. Does anyone know why? Any significance?

I've been wondering the same thing, as unlike the other names being mentioned, it doesn't have any history in the British royal family (as far as I know). I'm sort of under the impression that it might be up there on the list just because of popularity, as it seems the sort of name that would fit in with Alice and Charlotte.

The name Olivia will be nice to see. It's not a common princess' name!

I hope they will choose an uncommon name for the first name. I'd like "Wilhelmine". Imo, I don't want another Elizabeth/Elisabeth. I know princesses/queens/ grand duchesses/empresses by that name throughout the history that I feel quite sick of seeing that name ;)

However like others, I am open to the possibility she'd be given " Diana" as her first name or one of her names. It will be impossible for William not to give his beloved mother's name to his first baby girl~

Let me give a combination of names, too:
Wilhelmine Olivia Thérese Diana Agnes

No Diana at all IMO
unique names of queens: Adelaide, Adeliza, Jane (of course it's the most boring name around bit it's only been used twice I believe), Victora, Charlotte, Caroline, Alexandra
Dull/over used Names: Anne, Elizabeth, Mary
Remember the Middleton's have a tradition and named all their kids after a king or queen, so I think a non English king or queen name is out.

Olivia is not a Regal name but it was the #1 girls name from 2012 or 2013 so it's currently a popular name. It doesn't seem to me to fit the Princess style but if they like it then why not. Sophia/Sophie and Amelia are also in the top 10 from 2014 and are also royal names so could be used, although I would rule out Sophie as a first name due to Sophie Wessex.

I am still going with Princess Alice of Cambridge.

I really hope it won't be long before we know !!!!

Hi, for what my opinion is worth, my choice of name would be:

Alice Elizabeth Frances

However, Eleanor or Cecile would be lovely as a first name. The former was one of our greatest Queen Consorts (Eleanor of Aquitaine), and it could always be the French version of the name, Alienor, which is what Eleanor would have been named at birth and while she was Queen Consort of France to Louis VII. With Cecile, this would be a poignant reminder for Prince Philip, who had an older sister, Princess Cecile (1911-1937), who was married to the last titular Grand Duke of Hesse & by Rhine. They had 3 children and the Princess was pregnant with her 4th child, when, on November 16 1937 she, her husband, her mother-in-law and her 2 sons (Alexander & Ludwig) were killed when the plane they were travelling in crashed into a factory chimney in thick fog over Steene, Belgium. Tragically their orphaned daughter, Johanna, who was left at home, died in 1939 from meningitis.

Alienor is the Occitan form of Eleanor, not the French.

I think the rumor was that Diana had her heart set on Victoria as a name for her daughter. I don't remember ever hearing about Allegra being a name that she liked. I remember reading articles that also suggested that Edward's wife Sophie didn't get her first choice of name when it came to the naming of Lady Louise. I forget what name it was suggested by anonymous sources that she preferred, but it wasn't considered suitably royal. So the Queen and Prince Charles may have considerable veto power here.

It seems to me Dickie Arbiter was the one saying Diana wanted a daughter named Allegra. He was saying it after she had died, just before Charles got remarried. Though he was talking about the time after she'd gotten divorced so the daughter wouldn't have been a member of the royal family and it wouldn't have mattered what she named her.

Here in Belgium, most of the people only have one name. I have a lot of names since it's a familial tradition, and it always shock people. On my ID I have 3 of my names because there's no space for the others. So it's indeed just a decorum and a formality, but also a little extra and a touch of tradition.

But of course, it's the first name who only really counts...

Almost everyone I've every met (99 percent or more) have 2 names here in the U.S. unless they are from other countries.

LaRae

Beatrice was the name of one of Victoria's daughters, but it hadn't been used in Britain before and Princess Beatrice is the only British Royal to use it since.

Eugenie wasn't used by a British Royal before Princess Eugenie.
Henry III and Eleanor of Provence had a daughter named Beatrice (1242–1275) who married John II of Britanny. Granted, this was a loooong time ago. :)

Last edited:
They may continue the 'Ca' or a 'C' names started by Carole and Catherine.

Princess Carlotta
Princess Catrina
Princess Cameron
Princess Candice
Princess Caitlyn
Princess Carolyn
Princess Cassandra
Princess Caren

Princess Claudine
Princess Clara
Princess Clementine
Princess Colleen
Princess Charlotte
Princess Cynthia (Cynthia is the grandmother Diana said guided her from the grave.)
Princess Cissy (Cissy is the diminutive of both Frances and Catherine.)

I believe Elizabeth will be in the name and probably the first name.

They may go for Elizabeth Phillipa Francesca

However, I think I'll wait and see if they pick any of my original choices. They may go for more then three names.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I can just see Princess Caitlyn or Caren....

I like the name Christina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom