Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Charlotte Rose from me.

Charlotte as the female form of grandfather Charles' name.

Rose for the Queen's sister.

And because I think Her Majesty was sending a big hint to the Duke and Duchess on the day of the baby's birth.

Buckinham Palace have said the shade of pink the Queen was wearing is "Rose". :lol:

And I would like a really feminine name for the first princess in decades.

Charlotte and Caroline are too obviously tied to both Charles, Pippa (middle name is Charlotte) and Carole. Since they avoided any obvious ties to specific family members with George, I think it's safe to rule out Charlotte or Caroline. Same with Diana, Philippa, Frances, and Catherine. I rule out Alexandra only because it's the feminine version of Alexander and that was used in George's name.

The only exception MIGHT be for Elizabeth but I would be a little surprised if it was the baby's first name.

The more I think about it the more confident I am that it will be Victoria Alice Elizabeth.

I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael. :)

Unfortunately, going by the snide comments over at the DM I'd say "Carol" would have more baggage with it than "Diana". But in both cases it's ridiculous - naming a baby after their grandparents is very common. Whatever they name her Carol and Diana are still her grandmothers. Just like Michael and Charles are still her grandfathers.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I would love it if they'd honor the PoW by calling her "Charlotte" but I've heard that the BRF considers Charlotte an unlucky name. :sad:
I didn't know that. :sad:

But others here say that doesn't matter because 'Charles' was the same and yet the Queen used it, so there is hope. :flowers:

Maybe "Caroline"? That way both Charles and Carole Middleton could be honored?;)
Because the child is in line of succession I look at names that could be regnal and dignified. Queen Caroline would work.

Otherwise, Elizabeth Alexandra or Alexandra Elizabeth would be perfect, imo.
Queen Alexandra would definitely work, as would the combination Queen Alexandra Elizabeth. :flowers: A nice touch using the Queen's name as a second name, but I'd be averse to using the name again as a first name, though they just might do that, and use a middle name to call her in the family, like Mary.

I really hope it will be Charlotte or Alice !

I'm with you on this. :flowers: I think Queen Charlotte is very regal sounding, and a Princess Charlotte is just plain lovely.

Alice is nice as Princess Alice, but not as Queen imo.

Last edited:

The Queen's name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

Princess Charlotte of Wales daughter of George IV died in childbirth but a lot of Royal names have something bad happened to a name holder. George Duke of Kent died in a plane crash in WWII , Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane crash too but those names were reused in the family

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Queen's name is Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

Princess Charlotte of Wales daughter of George IV died in childbirth but a lot of Royal names have something bad happened to a name holder. George Duke of Kent died in a plane crash in WWII , Prince William of Gloucester died in a plane crash too but those names were reused in the family.

That's really interesting. I like it. A reverse name: Mary Alexandra Elizabeth, which gives us a Princess Mary (born in May and a very sweet name) and Queen Mary Alexandra (in the unlikely event she were to be Queen). :flowers:

It would be Queen Mary III if she somehow came to the throne and used her first name. There only have been 4 reigning Queen names- Mary, Elizabeth, Anne & Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Jane Grey isn't always considered to be an actual Queen - neither is Empress Matilda or Margaret of Norway.

I know, but if they stuck you on the throne for nine days at a young age then behead you I think you should at least get to be counted as being a queen. Plus I liked the movie about her with Helena Bonham Carter. And Jane is a nice name so I woudn't mind Jane.

I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael. :)

I don't see William and Kate as the types to really bring us anything out of left field in terms of names. (After all, George's name contained no surprises, except perhaps the fact that they only gave him three names instead of four.) I expect they'll use a traditional royal name, and most likely one of those that has already been frequently mentioned (Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth, Alice, Alexandra, etc.). I think the most they might venture out of that general territory would be to go with some slightly less well-known traditional royal names, like Andrew and Sarah did with Beatrice and Eugenie.

No matter what at the end of the day I hope people are not disappointed or mad at what ever William and Catherine chooses. hopefully people will respect their decision. I know everyone on here will but i general.

The only thing I really worry about is if they don't give her Diana as one it names.

I loved this name! Any british royal named Lavinia on the past? (sorry for my ignorance, I'm not very good with names)

I don't think so but Diana's sister, Lady Sarah, has Lavinia as one of her middle names.

I don't see William and Kate as the types to really bring us anything out of left field in terms of names. (After all, George's name contained no surprises, except perhaps the fact that they only gave him three names instead of four.) I expect they'll use a traditional royal name, and most likely one of those that has already been frequently mentioned (Charlotte, Victoria, Elizabeth, Alice, Alexandra, etc.). I think the most they might venture out of that general territory would be to go with some slightly less well-known traditional royal names, like Andrew and Sarah did with Beatrice and Eugenie.

Beatrice and Eugenie are well-known traditional royal names.

If they are looking for something different, they could try Frederica or maybe Sophia.

Last edited:
Beatrice and Eugenie are well-known traditional royal names.

If they are looking for something different, they could try Frederica or maybe Sophia.

I mean well-known in the sense of being names that were used by queens and that are more widely known (e.g. Elizabeth, Victoria, Alexandra, etc.). I'm a bit young to remember, but I think names like Beatrice and particularly Eugenie might have seemed quite unexpected to a lot of people when Andrew and Sarah chose them.

I mean well-known in the sense of being names that were used by queens and that are more widely known (e.g. Elizabeth, Victoria, Alexandra, etc.). I'm a bit young to remember, but I think names like Beatrice and particularly Eugenie might have seemed quite unexpected to a lot of people when Andrew and Sarah chose them.

I don't remember either, but as names of two of Queen Victoria's daughters, I would be surprised if they would seem "unexpected".

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though the UK branch of the dynasty was technically extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.

Last edited:
I don't remember either, but as names of two of Queen Victoria's daughters, I would be surprised if they would seem "unexpected".

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though that dynasty technically was extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.

Unexpected in the sense of the fact that they probably weren't names a lot of people had money on, if you know what I mean. Once the names were announced, I doubt there was shock throughout the land, lol. So when I say I think William might possibly go with something traditional but less well-known, I mean I think they could possibly go with a traditional royal name that isn't in the grouping of names that currently seem to be the most oft-mentioned favorites at the moment.

Personally, I think I'll be happy with any name they choose. I love the traditional BRF female names generally, and find myself unable to pick a favorite (though I'm rather partial to Elizabeth for personal reasons, but that aside, I rank them all about equally). For me, that's one of the most exciting things about the fact that they've had a baby girl this time: lots more names to choose from, and all names that I like.

"Old lady names" are fashionable now. Alice is definitely back in fashion in both the UK and in the United States. I think it's a very likely first name because it's Prince Philip's mother's name and it hasn't been used as a first name for a child in a couple of generations. If the Queen has any say in the name, Alice is bound to be a favorite.

If they wanted to use a name that's a little less expected but still a legitimate royal name, they could go back several generations. Amelia and Sophia were both names of royal princesses and are also extremely fashionable names in Britain right now. There's also Dorothea and Augusta, though I wouldn't consider those realistic possibilities!

This is true .Old fashioned names have been back in for a while now. Lately I have even heard names I really thought would never return.Jennifer Connelly named her daughter Agnes (I think I have heard it given to a least one or two other babies. Edith is another one I thought was out but Cate Blanchette named her daughter Edith.

Alice doesn't sound as old fashioned as it did when I was growing up.

I also thought about Eliza it would be close to Elizabeth that could be a plus or a minus.I could see Elizabeth more as a second or third name but I won't be shocked if they don't use. Three of the Queen's granddaugher's already have Elizabeth as one of their names.

Other ideas (some I already listed)
Rose
Henrietta or Harriet (like Prince Harry)
Elinor
Joan
Augusta
Matilda
Christina
Rebecca

If I was them no Diana cause it will add unwanted attention. You can honour her with Charlotte which was what supposedly Diana said she would have named her daughter if she had one. It is also the feminine of Charles and Pippa's middle name. You can honour Diana too with Frances as a middle name. Also add Elizabeth since Wills's grandmas are Elizabeth and Frances and Kate's parents middle names are Elizabeth and Francis. That is how I would play it - Charlotte Frances Elizabeth.

But with George Alexander Louis they just used acceptable names they liked so it could be something popular like their cousins choices Mia or Isla but traditional like Amelia, Annabel, Emma, Eleanor, Matilda, Victoria or Isabel. However the betting choices - Charlotte and Alice are both popular names too.

I personally like Sophia because it is the name of the founder of the Queen's dynasty (Sophia of Hanover), even though the UK branch of the dynasty was technically extinguished in male line when Queen Victoria passed away. In fact, Sophia Victoria Mary would be a nice name for me. I think the Cambridges will go with Alice though.

Beatrice was the name of one of Victoria's daughters, but it hadn't been used in Britain before and Princess Beatrice is the only British Royal to use it since.

Eugenie wasn't used by a British Royal before Princess Eugenie.

Unexpected in the sense of the fact that they probably weren't names a lot of people had money on, if you know what I mean. Once the names were announced, I doubt there was shock throughout the land, lol. So when I say I think William might possibly go with something traditional but less well-known, I mean I think they could possibly go with a traditional royal name that isn't in the grouping of names that currently seem to be the most oft-mentioned favorites at the moment.

Personally, I think I'll be happy with any name they choose. I love the traditional BRF female names generally, and find myself unable to pick a favorite (though I'm rather partial to Elizabeth for personal reasons, but that aside, I rank them all about equally). For me, that's one of the most exciting things about the fact that they've had a baby girl this time: lots more names to choose from, and all names that I like.

I remember both Princesses being born and they were highly unusual names for the time and totally unexpected. There was a lot of media around Sarah and Andrews name choices. ;)

My mom thinks it will be Victoria Elizabeth Diana. She also bet me 5 dollars for a Monday the 4th birth, but she lost. My dad wants Charlotte, the female form of Charles (also Pippa's middle name).

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

I am assuming that when I arise tomorrow morning there will be news of the names chosen. :flowers: I look forward to discovering if we will indeed have a lovely Princess Anise. ;)

I certainly hope Diana will be one of the new Princess' name. It is her paternal grandmother that she will never have a chance to meet and someone who means a lot to her daddy. She is Diana's grand daughter (and may be the only one) and I am sure as she gets older she will be very proud to carry the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom