Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only names I am dead set against are Alice and Adelaide. The latter always makes me think of "Marmalade" and the first one sounds like a little old lady name, imo.

I would love to see Diana as one of the names but I doubt it will happen...no hurt feelings or controversy dredged up that way.

As for Cecilia, wasn't one of the Duke of Edinburgh's Nazi sisters named "Cecile"? I am almost 100% certain that name has been ruled out!:cool:

Last edited:
I like Caroline as a middle name but I'm missing the Charles connection with the name?

"Carolus" is the Latin version of Charles. Carolus ---> Caroline... Caroline is a feminine version of Charles :flowers:

The only names I am dead set against are Alice and Adelaide. The latter always makes me think of "Marmalade" and the first one sounds like a little old lady name, imo.

I would love to see Diana as one of the names but I doubt it will happen...no hurt feelings or controversy dredged up that way.

As for Cecilia, wasn't one of the Duke of Edinburgh's Nazi sisters named "Cecile"? I am almost 100% certain that name has been ruled out!:cool:

Prince Philip's sister Cecilie and her husband were members of the Nazi Party, but they and their little boys died in a plane crash in 1937 along with their unborn child.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we find out tomorrow but I think it will be Diana Charlotte Michelle, for all four of her grandparents.

I hope they don't use Diana's name. If they do honor her, I hope it's with "Francis" not "Diana." Too much baggage with the name Diana.

Like everyone, I've been thinking Alice or Charlotte or Elizabeth are front runners... But now, I think they may surprise us. I can see them going with something totally not in play.

If they do go traditional, I like: Charlotte Mary Elisabeth.

"Old lady names" are fashionable now. Alice is definitely back in fashion in both the UK and in the United States. I think it's a very likely first name because it's Prince Philip's mother's name and it hasn't been used as a first name for a child in a couple of generations. If the Queen has any say in the name, Alice is bound to be a favorite.

If they wanted to use a name that's a little less expected but still a legitimate royal name, they could go back several generations. Amelia and Sophia were both names of royal princesses and are also extremely fashionable names in Britain right now. There's also Dorothea and Augusta, though I wouldn't consider those realistic possibilities!

"Frances" was Diana's middle name...not Francis ,which is considered the masculine version.

Cecile was Philip's sister that died with most of her family in a plane crash in 1937. Her husband, 2 children also died in the crash and she was heavily pregnant at the time. ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The story of Cecile and her family is well known to me. It's extremely tragic. BUT I stand by my theory that her Nazi connections make Cecilie or Cecilia an unlikely choice of names for the new arrival.

Last edited:
The story of Cecile and her family is well known to me. It's extremely tragic. BUT I stand by my theory that her Nazi connections make it an unlikely choice of names for the new arrival.

You could be right but the Queen named her youngest son Edward, despite the connection to her uncle--who was also a Nazi sympathizer. I realize that the family referred to him as "David" but still....

I hope they don't use Diana's name. If they do honor her, I hope it's with "Francis" not "Diana." Too much baggage with the name Diana.

I don't see why - she was his mother. The only person who could associate baggage with the name would be Camilla or Charles. I find it hard to believe they would - they're together now and she's gone so why would they care? It would be pretty petty of them. Camilla has grandchildren of her own. In any case they will probably come up with a name that none of us have thought of and it won't be any of the names we're coming up with. Did anyone come up with the name George under his naming threads on this site? Now I'm tempted to go back and look.

I think a lot of people guessed George -- it was pretty much the only name that belonged to a previous king, wasn't in use in the family already, and wasn't considered unlucky.

I'm not sure how many people guessed "Alexander" or "Louis" as middle names, though. At least some, I would imagine. They're pretty traditional names.

I think a lot of people guessed George -- it was pretty much the only name that belonged to a previous king, wasn't in use in the family already, and wasn't considered unlucky.

I'm not sure how many people guessed "Alexander" or "Louis" as middle names, though. At least some, I would imagine. They're pretty traditional names.

George III didn't have very good luck. I'd think you'd have to work pretty hard to find the name of a former king that didn't have bad luck associated with it in some way or another - that's the downside of being a king.

You could be right but the Queen named her youngest son Edward, despite the connection to her uncle--who was also a Nazi sympathizer. I realize that the family referred to him as "David" but still....

That was a completely different situation. The name "Edward" was and is an ancient prestigious Royal moniker with honorable associations that far outweighed any damage done by QEII's feckless uncle. In naming her son Edward she was honoring the name that has been held by British kings since the Middle Ages.

The name "Cecilia" does not have quite the same cachet in British Royal history.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think it might be Elizabeth as a firstname even though I have a small wager on Alice and Diana. There won't be many more opportunities really to have a Princess Elizabeth in the Queen's lifetime.

Last edited:
I don't see why - she was his mother. The only person who could associate baggage with the name would be Camilla or Charles. I find it hard to believe they would - they're together now and she's gone so why would they care? It would be pretty petty of them. Camilla has grandchildren of her own. In any case they will probably come up with a name that none of us have thought of and it won't be any of the names we're coming up with. Did anyone come up with the name George under his naming threads on this site? Now I'm tempted to go back and look.

Almost everyone mentioned George :) It was one of the only likely options.

The names everyone here is mentioning are also likely because of tradition and royal history. There are more options for the little princess than there were for George... But she won't be a little Mackenzie or Zola. She'll have a name that's been used by the royal family at some point in their history.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Almost everyone mentioned George :) It was one of the only likely options.

The names everyone here is mentioning are also likely because of tradition and royal history. There are more options for the little princess than there were for George... But she won't be a little Mackenzie or Zola. She'll have a name that's been used by the royal family at some point in their history.

I like the name Zara and the first place I'd heard of it was on Princess Anne's daughter. It's not an especially common name. Though I agree they'll probably stick with more traditional names. I'm still rooting for Alexandria.

Well I got my wish for a baby girl so I'm hoping for another wish to be realized .... hoping for Charlotte, after that it doesn't make any difference to me.

I like the name Zara and the first place I'd heard of it was on Princess Anne's daughter. It's not an especially common name. Though I agree they'll probably stick with more traditional names. I'm still rooting for Alexandria.

Right, but Zara holds no titles and therefore Anne had a little more freedom to try new things.

That was a completely different situation. The name "Edward" was and is an ancient prestigious Royal moniker with honorable associations that far outweighed any damage done by QEII's feckless uncle. In naming her son Edward she was honoring the name that had been held by British kings since the Middle Ages.

The name "Cecilia" does not have quite the same cachet in British Royal history.

Cecilia has a little bit of family history- it was the name of the Queen Mum's mother

Well, they wouldn't leave any of the female relatives out that way. They could give her a first name that was different and use those three as middle names.

George only had three names so I think it's unlikely they'll give the new princess four names

Like everyone, I've been thinking Alice or Charlotte or Elizabeth are front runners... But now, I think they may surprise us. I can see them going with something totally not in play.

If they do go traditional, I like: Charlotte Mary Elisabeth.

I agree - too much baggage attached with Diana. And she may surprise us all with something left field such as "Mikaela or Michaela" after her father Michael. :)

I agree it could be more of a burden than a tribute to have the name Diana anywhere in her name.

Don't see having the name Diana is any more a burden than she will have being a Princess. She will too fat too thin a bad dresser etc etc a name will be the lest burden

Her Royal Highness Princess Victoria Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge.

I love Elizabeth, Alexandra, and Victoria all equally!:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom