Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I much more prefer traditional names than extravagant; for me they are not boring.

I much more prefer traditional names than extravagant; for me they are not boring.
Indeed. It's just that i think the names they are going to choose will be among the usual "royal" range: Frederick, Arhur of Frances and Alice, Charlotte, Alexandra or Victoria... I don't feel other names coming:flowers:

Girl: Victoria

Boy: Hezekiah

Isn't Archie a diminutive from Archibald, and Alfie for Alfred?

Yes, that's right. But there is currently a fad in the UK for registering children with these diminutives, rather than giving them the full traditional name.

Indeed. It's just that i think the names they are going to choose will be among the usual "royal" range: Frederick, Arthur or Frances and Alice, Charlotte, Alexandra or Victoria... I don't feel other names coming:flowers:

Our royals don't seem to do Francis/Frances. Strange, since it was the first name of Queen Victoria's husband Albert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Girl: Victoria Diana Elizabeth

Boy: Edward Charles Philip

Yes, that's right. But there is currently a fad in the UK for registering children with these diminutives, rather than giving them the full traditional name.

Just like the American South has always done, well done, Great Britain! :p

More speculation that the new baby will be a little girl, with the reporting of three pink paint colours being sampled at Anmer Hall from the expensive Annie Sloan company in Oxford.

Sebastian Shakespeare has an article on the three different pink paints -and the cost.

They didn't find out for George why would they do it for this one especially when it would be easy for a slip of the tongue when they are out talking to people.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

More speculation that the new baby will be a little girl, with the reporting of three pink paint colours being sampled at Anmer Hall from the expensive Annie Sloan company in Oxford.

Sebastian Shakespeare has an article on the three different pink paints -and the cost.

Do people really still do that 'blue for a boy, pink for a girl' thing? :cool:

Yes they do.
Would you rather have pink for a boy?I mean..seriously.

Yes they do.

I don't care for pastels, so probably not, but if I was given something pink for a boy I would use it. I doubt babies notice these things. :)

But seriously, a pot of paint? Just as likely they're redecorating the downstairs loo.

Last edited:

Well, that's one heckuvva leak! ;) If true, I'm very happy for them, but truth to say, as long as the baby is healthy and happy, that's the main concern (for anyone). In the end, that's all that matters.

Yes they do.

I understand the colors were reversed during Victorian times, or was it in the US? Anyway, at one time, about early last century, blue was for a girl and pink (red) for a boy. Not now, of course. :flowers:

Last edited:
We decorated the nursery for our first child in a neutral colour, lemon and white, decades ago. Babies wear gorgeous outfits in all sorts of colours now but I must admit strangers seeing a pink outfit on a baby boy would still automatically assume he was a girl.

Remember when people were confused about George wearing a christening gown, because 'only girls wear dresses' :ROFLMAO:

I know couples who didn't want to know the first time but changed their minds for the second child. My husband and I knew both times but kept it to ourselves, much to one of my sister's frustration :). Like Curryong, we painted the nursery lemon and white which worked for both children. We got a lot of pink and lavender for our daughter and blue and green for our son, but they wore other colors too.

Masculine and feminine colors give the grandmas in the grocery store a little more information when they gush over a baby.

We did not know the first time, but knew the second time.

If they know what it is, I doubt they would give anybody a hint, even the decorator - unless they don't mind an announcement via unknowns on Twitter.

Yes they do.

Pink used to be for boys. It was considered a stronger color.

The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.

Pink used to be for boys. It was considered a stronger color.
Exactly. Also, Blue was the colour Virgin Mary was depicted in and Red (and therefore pink) was Jesus colur. That plus the first 4 years of a kids life all kids were dressed in "girls" clothing in (i think it was) Victorian UK. It's just some new nonsense this pink/blue bulls**t.

Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

We did not know the first time, but knew the second time.

If they know what it is, I doubt they would give anybody a hint, even the decorator - unless they don't mind an announcement via unknowns on Twitter.

I would think if you want the royals to come back you don't talk about the royals shopping habits. It's one thing if some customer post that she saw Kate at Peter Jones in London looking at men's sock. But the company leaking it would be different. Plus how many companies just send stuff to KP on their own and try to use it as publicity. Didn't that happen with a slide that they claimed they bought for George?

I can see finding out what the second one is for decision purposes? Do you we need to get a bigger house or can the kids share. Putting extra money aside for more kids clothes because Billy can't wear Suzy's dresses. But W&K don't have those worries. Plus people are betting on the sex of their baby so they are under the microscope from people looking for the slightest clue, which would be easier to hide if you didn't know.

I would think if you want the royals to come back you don't talk about the royals shopping habits. It's one thing if some customer post that she saw Kate at Peter Jones in London looking at men's sock. But the company leaking it would be different. Plus how many companies just send stuff to KP on their own and try to use it as publicity. Didn't that happen with a slide that they claimed they bought for George?

I can see finding out what the second one is for decision purposes? Do you we need to get a bigger house or can the kids share. Putting extra money aside for more kids clothes because Billy can't wear Suzy's dresses. But W&K don't have those worries. Plus people are betting on the sex of their baby so they are under the microscope from people looking for the slightest clue, which would be easier to hide if you didn't know.

I hope William and Catherine are not making their decisions based on how they think it will impact gambling

I agree that there are practical reasons why people change their mind about whether to know the baby's sex in advance, but there are emotional reasons, too. My feelings during my second pregnancy were very different than my first. With my first, I was often overwhelmed with worries and uncertainties. With my second, I had a better idea what to expect and was more prepared. Being in a different place emotionally leads to different (although not necessarily better) decisions.

While I am typing this, I am reminded of a series of diaper commercials highlighting how mothers become more relaxed when dealing with their second child. Having a second child is very different than having the first.

at the end of the day I dont think they know. Maybe she feels like she is having a girl...who knows...

i also wouldn't take what comes from dailymail as gospel...so even if she did get pink samples...it doesn't necessarily means she knows the sex.

We'll be finding out soon enough...

I think they already have chosen names (for a boy and a girl).

The posh pink paint story is growing, with an article about it now from Helen Barnett of the "Express".

This report says Kensington Palace "refused to comment on the rumours", and a spokesman for the paint company Annie Sloan, could not "confirm or deny" that it had supplied paints for Anmer Hall.

Agree with iisuzieii. I don't think they know whether they're having a boy or a girl (and I agree about the integrity of the Mail!)

I think William wants to minimise any chance of leaks that relate to his wife and children. If nobody knows then there's no chance of it getting in the press. The speculation probably irks him, but not as much as someone letting the cat out of the bag. Hopefully W&C can have a few hours with their newborn - as they did with George - when they have total privacy and enjoy knowing something the rest of the world doesn't know yet.

Last edited:
Ah, lookie here: Posted March 31, 2015 - Kate Middleton Royal Baby Name Bookmakers Slash Odds On Alice

TEXT: "Bookmakers have seen a flurry of activity pertaining to the name of the royal baby – and it’s not one we’d been expecting.

"William Hill and Ladbrokes have slashed the odds to 4/1 and 3/1 respectively on the royal sprog being named Alice, having previously seemed pretty fixed on Charlotte.

"But of the new favourite, William Hill mysteriously notes: “We have seen a significant number of bets, particularly from the Tunbridge area – you have to think there is a good reason for the gamble.

"Paddy Power has also since an increase in bets, though they are listing Alice at odds of 9/2 alongside Charlotte.

"Naturally, the name Alice has a royal lineage and was chosen for the second daughter of Queen Victoria. The wife of Queen’s uncle (the late Duke of Gloucester) was also named Alice.

"Despite the enhanced activity around female names, the Duchess of Cambridge has not divulged the sex of her unborn child."

So it's looking like Princess Alice (gender and name are taking off). This happened the last time with the name George (to my despair :ermm: ), but in this case, I think Princess Alice is nice. Still partial to a Princess Charlotte, but a Princess Alice will do. :flowers:

Last edited:
If people start betting on a name than its odds are going down. It doesn't mean that what it's going to be. It's not like Pippa Middleton walked in to Ladbrokes and placed a high money bet. George was a easy guess once we found out it was a boy. It's a name not in use within the immediate family and it's the name of Kings connected to the Windsors.

Ah, lookie here: Posted March 31, 2015 - Kate Middleton Royal Baby Name Bookmakers Slash Odds On Alice

TEXT: "Bookmakers have seen a flurry of activity pertaining to the name of the royal baby – and it’s not one we’d been expecting.

"William Hill and Ladbrokes have slashed the odds to 4/1 and 3/1 respectively on the royal sprog being named Alice, having previously seemed pretty fixed on Charlotte.

"But of the new favourite, William Hill mysteriously notes: “We have seen a significant number of bets, particularly from the Tunbridge area – you have to think there is a good reason for the gamble.

"Paddy Power has also since an increase in bets, though they are listing Alice at odds of 9/2 alongside Charlotte.

"Naturally, the name Alice has a royal lineage and was chosen for the second daughter of Queen Victoria. The wife of Queen’s uncle (the late Duke of Gloucester) was also named Alice.

"Despite the enhanced activity around female names, the Duchess of Cambridge has not divulged the sex of her unborn child."

So it's looking like Princess Alice (gender and name are taking off). This happened the last time with the name George (to my despair :huh: ), but in this case, I think Princess Alice is nice. Still partial to a Princess Charlotte, but a Princess Alice will do. :flowers:

Hi Lady Nimue - Alice was also the name of Prince Philip's mother, and the famous heroine of Lewis Carroll who the Duchess of Cambridge did her dissertation on, when she was at university.

Last edited:
Hi Lady Nimue - Alice was also the name of Prince Philip's mother, and the famous heroine of Lewis Carroll who the Duchess of Cambridge did her dissertation on, when she was at university.

Ah, ha! :flowers: We may have something here. ;)

The posh pink paint story is now being carried by a third online newspaper, the "Mirror", in an article by Emma O'Reilly.

Our attention is drawn to the previous reports that the Duchess has been spotted buying pink - yes pink! - baby clothes recently.

As this article says, speculation about the new baby's gender is going into "overdrive".

(Or maybe that's me she is reporting on - I keep coming across these pink paint reports. :lol:)

And this article includes a photo of the shop that "can't deny" it has supplied said paint samples.

(Or confirm of course.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom