Possible Names for the 2nd Child of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still hope for a Girl. I believe she will be the next Princess royal. They could name her Mary Anne Louise after the last three Princess Royals. It would also honor the late Queen Mary. For a boy i see Albert Phillip Charles. Victoria and Elizabeth husbands are honored and then his grandfather.

How about one of the middle names spelled backwards? Would it still be obviously to honor someone?

Pillihp
Anaid (I think that is an actual name somewhere)
Secnarf
Lorac ( I like that one too, Anaid-Lorac)
Yram
Htebazile
Selrahc
Divad
Ruhtra

And my personal favorite...
Allimac....:p

charles

elizabeth

Very interesting names. Makes me think of the names that have been listed for ancient civilizations. If they used one of these, I wonder just how long it would take the DM to figure it all out. :p

What exactly did you disagree with? You repeated the same point I made.

I still think that William is far more likely to associate the name Frances with his grandmother - because it was her name! Kate of course wouldn't have known Diana, so would have no personal associations.

Believe me, if this little blessing is a Princess and one of her names ends up being Frances, the Media will make sure it's well known.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Will and Kate are going to know why they picked the names and why. So it can be obvious or subtle. They are still going to know. So the papers can be trying to explain the baby names while W&K are sitting back knowing the names are the results of a Lupo & George picking names out of a bearskin hat as a tiebreaker because W&K were deadlocked ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

As George is one of Charles' names it could be argued that they did honour him. If that was the case then Frances for a girl would be honouring Diana in a similar way.

Regardless of whom Charles was named after with the George it is still one of his names and so using George could have been a subtle way of honouring Charles without being too obvious and the same with Frances - again one of Diana's names regardless of whom it came from to Diana it was still one of Diana's names.

Thank you for pointing this out. :flowers: I was never suggesting that the child's first name would be Diana, but that it would be one of the names. But I can see now that Frances might be the way to go.

I am hoping for a girl. My view is that Catherine is bringing a lovely blend to the Windsor/Spencer genes. I am assuming the little girl (if a girl) will be physically comely and live a charmed life. ;)

Will and Kate are going to know why they picked the names and why. So it can be obvious or subtle. They are still going to know. So the papers can be trying to explain the baby names while W&K are sitting back knowing the names are the results of a Lupo & George picking names out of a bearskin hat as a tiebreaker because W&K were deadlocked ?

Hahah, thank you so much for that image!!!!!

For a Princess: Which spelling would be better for her middle name: Frederica or Fredericka?

It has been said that Charles and Diana had a huge argument over the naming of William. Presumably an agreement was made before Harry's birth!

Many couples, especially mums to be make a list of half a dozen favourites for each sex and then make the final choice when the baby is here. Probably that's what Will and Kate have done, with the caveat that the choice is more distinctly limited by tradition if the new baby's a male.

I have read that Queen Victoria named her second daughter Alice because Lord Melbourne (her first Prime Minister, on whom she had a schoolgirl crush as a young Queen) had liked the name so much.

I don't think William and Catherine (and Harry, for that matter) should let the expectations of the media or public dictate such a personal decision regarding choosing a name for their children. Not only would it be perfectly natural for either William or Harry to name a daughter Diana, it would be a fitting tribute to their beloved mother. If the baby is a girl, the comparisons to Diana will be inevitable no matter what they decide to name her.

If this baby is named Diana, by the time she turns 18, her grandmother will have been gone for more than 35 years. The reporters who wrote about Diana will probably have retired. The royal family will have marked many milestones--William may even be on the throne by that time.

Diana will always be more than a memory to William and Harry but most of the public will have moved on. There will be a glut of stories at first but, eventually, when people hear "Princess Diana," they will start to think of William's (or Harry's) daughter, rather than their mother. The origin of her name will be a footnote rather than the lead of an article.

^I think Frederica is more common.
__

Why shouldn't William honor his mother? If it's a girl, she will be scrutinized anyway. And who knows, maybe she will be the spitting image of Carole.

For a Princess: Which spelling would be better for her middle name: Frederica or Fredericka?

I suppose it might depend if it were to be pronounded Freder--ee--ca (Frederica) or Freder--ick--a (Fredericka).
JMO! :)

It has been said that Charles and Diana had a huge argument over the naming of William. Presumably an agreement was made before Harry's birth!

Many couples, especially mums to be make a list of half a dozen favourites for each sex and then make the final choice when the baby is here. Probably that's what Will and Kate have done, with the caveat that the choice is more distinctly limited by tradition if the new baby's a male.

I have read that Queen Victoria named her second daughter Alice because Lord Melbourne (her first Prime Minister, on whom she had a schoolgirl crush as a young Queen) had liked the name so much.

I think he also really loved Helena or possibly Louise. Two of her girls were given names he loved.

Except for Albert Edward, didn't she introduce all new first names to the BRF with the other 8? Nowhere to be found were the tried and true BRF names of William, George, Elizabeth, Charlotte. I think when the Prince Regent insisted on the unheard of Alexandrina Victoria, she thumbed her nose right back at him when naming her own.

Alfred and Arthur were used before.

Victoria's youngest son, Leopold, was of course named after her beloved uncle Leopold of the Belgians. I do think Victoria and Albert pleased themselves with many of their children's names. Beatrice was probably a nod to the Victorian love of the medieval period and Louise was a reasonably common mid-19th century name but I don't know where Helena came from.

Just now read it, in her biography by John van der Liste. She was named after Prince Albert's cousin, Helene d' Orleans, who was her sponsor/godmother.

Last edited:
I think he also really loved Helena or possibly Louise. Two of her girls were given names he loved.

Except for Albert Edward, didn't she introduce all new first names to the BRF with the other 8? Nowhere to be found were the tried and true BRF names of William, George, Elizabeth, Charlotte. I think when the Prince Regent insisted on the unheard of Alexandrina Victoria, she thumbed her nose right back at him when naming her own.

Victoria's youngest son, Leopold, was of course named after her beloved uncle Leopold of the Belgians. I do think Victoria and Albert pleased themselves with many of their children's names. Beatrice was probably a nod to the Victorian love of the medieval period and Louise was a reasonably common mid-19th century name but I don't know where Helena came from.

Just now read it, in her biography by John van der Liste. She was named after Prince Albert's cousin, Helene d' Orleans, who was her sponsor/godmother.

Most of the names Victoria and Albert used for their children (including middle names) were actually for people.

Of the first names, Victoria was obviously for herself (although it was also her mother's name) and Albert was for himself. Edward would have been for Victoria's father, Leopold for Victoria's uncle, Louise for Albert's mother. One of Arthur's godfathers was the Duke of Wellington, who he shared a birthday with. One of Helena's godmothers was named Helene. Alice is out there because it was a name Lord Melbourne liked, and I'm not sure where Beatrice or Alfred officially came from.

For the middle names... Victoria got hers from two great-aunts/godmothers (Adelaide and Mary) and her paternal grandmother (Louise; plus Mary, Louise, and Victoria all appear in her maternal grandmother's name, who was another godmother). Alice got hers from a godmother (Maud) and a great-aunt (Mary) whose birthday she was born on. Alfred got his from his grandfather and uncle (Ernest; not to mention the fact that it appeared in all sides of the family) and father (Albert), Helena from her mother (Victoria) and a godmother (Augusta; not to mention the fact that Augusta was a very common name in the family), Louise from her father (Alberta) and an old family name (Caroline), Arthur from one of his godfathers and from one of his great-uncles (William) and his father (Albert) although I'm not sure where Patrick comes into play (unless it's for the Saint), Leopold got an old family name (George) and his father's name (Albert) as well as the random Duncan. I'm not too certain where Beatrice got her first name, but her middle names are clear - Mary for her great-aunt, Victoria for her mother, and Feodore for her aunt.

Alfred and Arthur were used before.

I think Alfred is a distinct possibility for a boy. Lady Sarah Chatto has an Arthur, but I can't think of any young Alfies in the royal circles yet.

Alfred/Alfie is quite popular in the UK at the moment. Alfred also offers the possibility of Fred or Freddie as nicknames, so it's an adaptable name.

I think Arthur is more of a possibility than Alfred simply because Arthur is slightly more "modern" than Alfred. Arthur hasn't been used for a while apart from Lady Sarah's son so it's definitely in the prime position to be used and not confused with another member of the family as Athur Chatto is very far from the line of succession to this new baby. That's the problem with James and Edward as they are relatively high up in the line. Obviously they will more further down the line as time goes by but Viscount Severn is close in age to the new baby so it's definitely not going to be used. Possibly as a middle name if James Middleton is a Godfather. We also have far too many Edward's to contend with as it is! Edward could be a middle name but I see Charles or Michael as middle names more than I can see them using Edward.

I think Arthur and Alice are strong contenders as well as Charlotte and Louis.

Viscount Severn is for all intents and purposes a private citizen who not many people outside of royal watchers is even aware of. If W&K like the name James they will use it.

HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn

Last edited:
Viscount Severn is for all intents and purposes a private citizen who not many people outside of royal watchers is even aware of. If W&K like the name James they will use it.

HRH Prince James of Cambridge will not be confused with Viscount Severn

He is a private citizen and an unknown but not in the family. I can't see them using his name for their son for the fact that his uncle is James and there is Viscount Severn who isn't much older than him. The tradition of using the same name for family members in the Windsor's doesn't seem to be the done thing anymore. That is also why I am ruling out another Prince Edward or Prince Henry for the new baby.

It's also why I would rule out a Princess Louise or Princess Anne for the new baby. The Windsor's no longer favour using the same Christian name for children and I for one am glad. There are so many other names in the family to use as Christian names and I am glad George was used as there hadn't been a Prince George for many years.

The Earl of St Andrews, the son of the Duke of Kent is named George and it obviously didn't stop W&K from using it.

IMO if W&K like either James or Arthur they will use because the name will automatically be associated with the new prince and not with another family member

I think Arthur is more of a possibility than Alfred simply because Arthur is slightly more "modern" than Alfred.

You're right in a way, but I think you're discounting the popularity of Alfie as a name in its own right.

In the ONS statistics for 2013 (2014 not yet available), Alfred is at 136 (up from 158 in 2012) while Arthur is at 43, up 11 places from 2012.

But Alfie was a Top Ten name in 2012, slipping from 7 to 11 in 2013.

Now to my mind Alfie and Alfred are the same name, and I myself would always give a child the full version of a name so that he had a bit of choice over variations. As I said, Alfred gives Fred/die as well as Alf/ie, or even Ally and Al.

Last edited:
George Windsor, Duke of Kent's son is not close to William in the family nor will he ever spend Christmas with the family or be in close proximity with the new child, whereas Viscount Severn will most likely spend Christmas (at least for a few more years) with the new baby. Of course William isn't close to his uncle's family but they defintiely see more of each other than George Windsor does with the family. George Windsor is an extended family member whereas James is a current family member.

Of course the name is not owned by anyone and they could very well use the name. I just can't see it as being an option because there are two James in the current family (one an uncle and one who is 7 years old). I could of course be proved wrong.

You're right in a way, but I think you're discounting the popularity of Alfie as a name in its own right.

In the ONS statistics for 2013 (2014 not yet available), Alfred is at 136 (up from 158 in 2012) while Arthur is at 43, up 11 places from 2012.

But Alfie was a Top Ten name in 2012, slipping from 7 to 11 in 2013.

Now to my mind Alfie and Alfred are the same name, and I myself would always give a child the full version of a name so that they had a bit of choice over variations. As I said, Alfred gives Fred/die as well as Alf/ie, or even Ally and Al.

You know, I hadn't even though of Alfie but you are right. Alfie and Archie are very popular currently. I have delivered many a Alfie or Archie.

I agree I don't see them repeating a name that in their immediate family extending possibly to Sarah and David's families since the Queen includes them in immediate family activities such as Easter and Christmas.

Elizabeth and Philip are the only possible exceptions.

We will never know why a particular name is used or isn't used but I think its a stretch to say Baby Cambridge and Viscount Severn will be 'immediate family'

If we start ruling out the names of cousins and nieces and nephews the pool becomes somewhat smaller.

Personally I like John for a boy and either Elizabeth or Victoria for a girl.

I think its a stretch to say Baby Cambridge and Viscount Severn will be 'immediate family'

In this context I am thinking of people they are likely to see more often. Parents with young children may get together more than with the older family members, and the Cambridges seem to get on well with the Wessexes.

If we start ruling out the names of cousins and nieces and nephews the pool becomes somewhat smaller.
Exactly! ;)

Cousins in the Royal family spend a lot of time together at family events and holidays probably more than what a regular family does. William, Harry, Peter, Zara, Bea and Eugenie all played together as kids, spent their Christmases together.

So wouldn't George and sibling play with Mia, Savannah, Isla with Louise and James as the big cousins watching out for their little cousins?

Names are for life. I don't think the fact a name is already in use by a cousin will stop W&K from using it if they like it. JMO

Isn't Archie a diminutive from Archibald, and Alfie for Alfred?

I think it is a bit useless to think about extravang names.... They are going to use a traditional and "boring" name...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom